Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyanSmoke

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by SuperSaiyanSmoke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:39 pm

Rakurai wrote:
SuperSaiyanSmoke wrote: *Yawns* But that Broly died years ago... let your influence of him die too! The new broly is here to stay.
Say that about the new Bardock to the rest of the fandom and see what the reaction would be.

Also the new Broly is boring to me and brings nothing new to the series. I have more interest in Kale than DBS Broly at this point.
New Bardock hardly got enough screentime to judge his character compared to the dedicated tv movie.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:43 pm

Doctor. wrote:with issues in characterization
Funny that you mention that. I haven't heard a single other person cite that as a problem, and several have called it some of the best characterization and character writing that Toriyama has ever done.
The movie is enjoyable but definitely not the best DB movie, not by a longshot (maybe top 5? Definitely not top 3).
What movie other than BoG could possibly be better than this movie? 90% of them are utter trash.
Also Shenron grants 3 wishes, get it right.
He gives 2 wishes, Get it right.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:45 pm

SuperSaiyanSmoke wrote: New Bardock hardly got enough screentime to judge his character compared to the dedicated tv movie.
New Bardock shits on everything that made old Bardock great. Same goes for new Broly.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:47 pm

Cetra wrote: Sigh. Okay, I will - to not disturb the flow - post you a long PM. But don't expect me to write much new for it. I will copy a lot of stuff from my post history.
Then why couldnt you just copy paste your previous post from the beginning instead of dismissing the others argument?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:49 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:I also forget, why does this Broly get angry and mad? Past Broly was already insane as is, but this one seems to just get angry? I'm genuinely asking if I missed something cause I really feel like I missed it and need someone to remind me what it is.
Well first he was just kind of commanded to attack Vegeta as part of Paragus's revenge, and then he seemed to get mad after he started losing, (I haven't seen the movie yet, going off of summaries) and then he gets pretty infuriated when he realizes his Dad was killed and he was under the impression that he was collateral damage and that he killed his own father. Seems like a legitimate reason to be mad to me. If I thought I killed my own dad, I'd be pretty pissed myself.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:52 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Funny that you mention that. I haven't heard a single other person cite that as a problem, and several have called it some of the best characterization and character writing that Toriyama has ever done.
The movie is enjoyable but definitely not the best DB movie, not by a longshot (maybe top 5? Definitely not top 3).
What movie other than BoG could possibly be better than this movie? 90% of them are utter trash.
He gives three, however, he only gives two if the first wish is particularly testing, like reviving large groups of people, and he may only give one wish if someone doesn't actually make a wish in a specific time frame(Super had an entire gag episode around that).

As for characterization, from what I've seen, the characterization for characters like Broly, Chirai and Lemo is good, but not consistent throughout the film, specifically for Broly, who kind of stops being the same character for a huge chunk of the film.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:53 pm

Helios518 wrote:After seeing the movie, I can definitely say that an anime retelling will do this arc a huge favor in the pacing department. This is coming from someone that thought there would be no need for one for this movie.
I haven't seen the movie yet, but that's the vibe I got from reading the script. It seems the movie suffered from having half of the script cut out. I definitely am praying for a retelling myself.
He gives three, however, he only gives two if the first wish is particularly testing, like reviving large groups of people, and he may only give one wish if someone doesn't actually make a wish in a specific time frame(Super had an entire gag episode around that).

As for characterization, from what I've seen, the characterization for characters like Broly, Chirai and Lemo is good, but not consistent throughout the film, specifically for Broly, who kind of stops being the same character for a huge chunk of the film.
I thought that Dende dropped a wish for giving the ability to revive groups of people at a time. What constitues a "particularly testing" wish is completely arbitrary.

How so? How is he a different character? Just because he gets angry and goes ballistic?
Last edited by PFM18 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:54 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
Cetra wrote: Sigh. Okay, I will - to not disturb the flow - post you a long PM. But don't expect me to write much new for it. I will copy a lot of stuff from my post history.
Then why couldnt you just copy paste your previous post from the beginning instead of dismissing the others argument?
Half of what I write I write from my smart phone.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:56 pm

New Broly may definitely have some more dimensions to his personality than the old one, but the problem is that they tried to have their cake and eat it too. They tried to have a more sympathetic, tragic Broly while keeping the savage, brutal Broly that we know him to be, except they didn't give either part of his character enough time. The potential for depth in the new Broly in this movie came with his relationship with Paragus, but that's glossed over in the movie and treated as a black-and-white issue. Broly ends up just as passive and meek in his base form as he was before, with an equally tragic backstory, but they lost the one-liners that made furious Broly entertaining to watch.
PFM18 wrote:Funny that you mention that. I haven't heard a single other person cite that as a problem, and several have called it some of the best characterization and character writing that Toriyama has ever done.
I don't care what others think. Weren't you furious at me in one of our first interactions for my admittedly careless appeal to popularity?
PFM18 wrote:What movie other than BoG could possibly be better than this movie? 90% of them are utter trash.
Battle of Gods, Wrath of the Dragon and Fusion Reborn. Also, obviously the two TV specials. DB movie 3 is also up there for me, and I would have to rewatch the first 3 Z movies as they're not very fresh on my mind. But either way, ignoring the TV Specials:

1. Battle of Gods
2. Wrath of the Dragon
3. Mystical Adventure
4. Fusion Reborn
5. Broly

Seems fair, for the time being.
PFM18 wrote:He gives 2 wishes, Get it right.
Wrong. He grants 3 wishes, he grants 2 if one of them is used to revive a large number of people at once.
You're wrong, but even if you weren't, you're just being pedantic as Shenron obviously grants more than one wish. I realize Shenron only grants one for plot convenience, as the other wish could be used to track back to Broly or for Freeza, but ignoring established lore for the sake of the plot isn't the way to go.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:07 pm

Doctor. wrote:I don't care what others think. Weren't you furious at me in one of our first interactions for my admittedly careless appeal to popularity?
You used it in a weak attempt to further your argument, I literally just find it funny. Moreover, "furious" is hyperbole.
Battle of Gods, Wrath of the Dragon and Fusion Reborn. Also, obviously the two TV specials. DB movie 3 is also up there for me, and I would have to rewatch the first 3 Z movies as they're not very fresh on my mind. But either way, ignoring the TV Specials:

1. Battle of Gods
2. Wrath of the Dragon
3. Mystical Adventure
4. Fusion Reborn
5. Broly

Seems fair, for the time being.
I guess I didn't think to count TV specials. But yeah, that seems surprisingly fair now that I see the list. I haven't seen the movie yet, I think it deserves to be seen in theaters so I'm going to wait another month, so I guess I can't speak much more on the topic.
You're wrong, but even if you weren't, you're just being pedantic as Shenron obviously grants more than one wish. I realize Shenron only grants one for plot convenience, as the other wish could be used to track back to Broly or for Freeza, but ignoring established lore for the sake of the plot isn't the way to go.
Oh, my bad. I don't deny being pedantic.

Obviously Shenron should grant multiple wishes. I do feel kind of stupid now because I spent a lot of time guessing what the other wish would be, and it seems that there simply isn't another wish.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:09 pm

Rakurai wrote:
SuperSaiyanSmoke wrote: New Bardock hardly got enough screentime to judge his character compared to the dedicated tv movie.
New Bardock shits on everything that made old Bardock great. Same goes for new Broly.
I agree about new Bardock, but that is old news. I couldn't disagree more about new Broly. Old Broly was a fucking joke.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:35 pm

I really love the moe to Broli. He's still young and dependent, so he can be manipulated...but there are still good people to help guide him toward maturity. I want a slice of life series with Broli, Cheely and Lemo!

jplaya2023
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by jplaya2023 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:02 pm

i think it was a pretty good movie i like the fight scenes and all that but i do think they missed key points that should've been added and some that should've stayed the same to make the movie even better.

The manga canon version of bardock should've been used , as this one was wack to me. Manga canon bardock was fearless and he had the vision and he tried to unite the saiyans to stop frieza while this one did none of that and tried to stop frieza with that terrible weak ki blast himself. I don't get why they changed manga bardock backstory. Seeing gine become canon is a nice touch

there should have been a a scene where cold is telling frieza he will resuming command of the empire and he warns frieza about the dangers of running into maijin boo and beerus sama and to be respectful and keep his distance.

Also there should've been a scene where beerus and whiz is talking with cold and frieza and beerus tells him it's time to destroy planet vegeta and that if he doesn't by the time beerus awakes he will destroy frieza and his father

i wont cry about how ridiculous it is to get brolly to that strength level does battle simulations and fighting swamp monsters. I felt a more realistic approach was for frieza to train brolly lets say for roughly 2 years or so and have brolly harness his power that way and learn some of the techniques by frieza

goku should've used ssj2 and ssj3. vegeta should've used ssj2

gogeta should've fought with ssj ssj3 and ssj red in the fight

at the end when frieza said how unfair it was fighting goku and vegeta 1 on 2 a mysterious voice on the ship should've said "well maybe it's time for us to fight them 2 on 2 brotha....."

a confused frieza says "who are you? I have no brother"
the mysterious voice says " i guess our father king kold never told you about the son he deemed to weak to run the empire and he banished me to another universe...."

In the shadows steps out a man taller than frieza with similiar features and a huge scar across his chest and he says "brother, my name is cooler, and our powers combined can take down the saiyan threat"

HeartMachine3578

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:05 pm

Kinda wonder how the fight between broly and goku would have ended had paragus not been killed. I think Broly was starting to enjoy himself. I remember that interview a while back qbout how Broly would learn that he actually enjoys fighting. It's interesting to me honestly

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:10 pm

PFM18 wrote:
He gives 3. If one of the wishes is a mass revival then he can only do 2. Get it right.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:15 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Also I dont like this new Broly. They turned what was cool about Broly in Movie 8, crumbled it up and threw it away. He's not a deep fascinating character, it's an old worn out character trope that plagues anime. His backstory is the same but him basically being a full-blooded Saiyan version of Gohan is really stupid. The whole "hes not bad" they kept saying over and over is just a big eye roll for me. I'm not really seeing this "depth" he has in comparison to the original Broly, tbh. And this is coming from someone who's not really a big fan of the old Broly.
some "cool" phrases do not give you personality ...

the old broly was "doomsday" basically pretty boring

the only interesting thing was his transformation but that they defeated him in such a patetic way I always take away the grace

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:43 pm

I think people are really over selling how "deep" old Broly really was.

Seriously, Broly as a character was nothing more than a culimination of the gimmicks that pretty much every other villain from those 13 films had. He was really not that unique or interesting, even in comparison to his fellow movie characters. Hell, I would argue that other characters from those original 13 do a far better job of executing their character gimmicks in film than Broly does.

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:55 pm

JazzMazz wrote:I think people are really over selling how "deep" old Broly really was.

Seriously, Broly as a character was nothing more than a culimination of the gimmicks that pretty much every other villain from those 13 films had. He was really not that unique or interesting, even in comparison to his fellow movie characters. Hell, I would argue that other characters from those original 13 do a far better job of executing their character gimmicks in film than Broly does.
totally agree

the grace was that he could beat 4 super saiyans at the same time easily ... but other villains could basically do the same and be equally sadistic and more interesting

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:12 pm

HeartMachine3578 wrote:Kinda wonder how the fight between broly and goku would have ended had paragus not been killed. I think Broly was starting to enjoy himself. I remember that interview a while back qbout how Broly would learn that he actually enjoys fighting. It's interesting to me honestly
It does sound interesting.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:16 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Artorias wrote:Quick question for anyone that's seen the film or knows the answer. Is the SSB fight mostly CG? It seems like most of the footage of that fight in the trailers is CG, and I also haven't really heard many people bring it up as a highlight of the film, and I assumed that was because it was mostly CG and therefor didn't look as good as the rest. Is this true? Or did they just choose for whatever reason not to show as much of that fight in the trailers?
SSB Goku and Vegeta vs Broly is mostly CG with one animated scene of SSB Goku vs Broly, Gogeta is mostly animated with one CG scene.
Thanks for the info. A bit disappointing, but like I said I expected as much just based on how little footage/discussion there's been surrounding that part of the film. Seems like the low point for sure.