Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

IM21
Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by IM21 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:23 am

I am pretty sure you all already discussed this, but do you believe there will be a director's cut?? I think there is at least 20 more minutes of this movie.

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:03 am

Is there an official name for Broli’s controlled Oozaru form?
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:20 am

Helios518 wrote:Is there an official name for Broli’s controlled Oozaru form?
Apparently it's also Ikari

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:24 am

IM21 wrote:I am pretty sure you all already discussed this, but do you believe there will be a director's cut?? I think there is at least 20 more minutes of this movie.
I hope there'll be a director's cut. Even knowing they cut material, it feels like there's parts missing from the film.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:57 am

PFM18 wrote: None of this actually addresses my point. I never disputed that he was popular. His popularity appears to be extremely stratified. That is all. I don't claim this to be a fact, but as far as I'm aware, he really isn't all that beloved among the older portions of the fandom.
I can assure you you are wrong. Broly merchandise sells quickly and for a lot of money on Yahoo Japan, Mandarake & Japanese flea market sites.

It’s absolutely not children buying this merchandise.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:47 pm

Question for anyone who's seen the movie: Is Kale mentioned at all? For example, perhaps Goku or Vegeta says something like 'This Broly guy's SSJ form is like that Kale girl from Universe 6'? Just a single reference or something.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:53 pm

PFM18 wrote:
None of this actually addresses my point. I never disputed that he was popular. His popularity appears to be extremely stratified. That is all. I don't claim this to be a fact, but as far as I'm aware, he really isn't all that beloved among the older portions of the fandom.
And I can tell you that you are completely wrong on this.

The fanart, the merch sales, the internet discussion, the audience reactions, the cosplay, and the official statements all tell a different story.

And you define "older" portion of the fandom quite vaguely. I think of someone older than 21. Me and my friends are above that age and we still like the old Broly for who he originally was.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:58 pm

Saturnine wrote:
That characterization of Kale's as of right now is - depending on your mileage - "manga only" or "Toyotaro's headcanon". The anime version provides no such background, and there might be an arc dedicated to exploring this very thing in the future.
Is that supposed to be a jab at the manga? "Toyotaro's headcanon," really?

Kale is a Legendary Saiyan. That's canon as fans like to put it, and if it doesn't contradict the anime's version of the story then that's what it is.

It's as canon as Belmod and Jiren's old master being friends once upon a time, and Jiren's wish being to bring his master back.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:53 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:Question for anyone who's seen the movie: Is Kale mentioned at all? For example, perhaps Goku or Vegeta says something like 'This Broly guy's SSJ form is like that Kale girl from Universe 6'? Just a single reference or something.
They don't establish any sort of connection between Kale and Broly in the film, neither through lore nor transformations. The only official source we have that does anything remotely like that is this calling Kale "female Broly":

https://twitter.com/YUUSLUG/status/1072653618422169605

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Rakurai wrote:
Polyphase Avatron wrote:Question for anyone who's seen the movie: Is Kale mentioned at all? For example, perhaps Goku or Vegeta says something like 'This Broly guy's SSJ form is like that Kale girl from Universe 6'? Just a single reference or something.
They don't establish any sort of connection between Kale and Broly in the film, neither through lore nor transformations. The only official source we have that does anything remotely like that is this calling Kale "female Broly":

https://twitter.com/YUUSLUG/status/1072653618422169605
I find that hilarious on like, so many levels.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:51 pm

Broly is still a Legendary Super Saiyan.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Galan007
Regular

Post by Galan007 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:21 pm

I'm just glad Broly wasn't referred to as a "male Kale."

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:11 pm

I guess there isn't anything substantially different about the light novel version of the Brolly movie? No one's said much about it outside of a few tweets from Herms.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:51 pm

So Goku did went UI in movie during his red-blue switchin, someone found a pause part he actually did went UI and doesn't know he tapped in it.

HeartMachine3578

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:51 pm

Chuquita wrote:I guess there isn't anything substantially different about the light novel version of the Brolly movie? No one's said much about it outside of a few tweets from Herms.
Yeah the only thing I picked up from it so far is that the light novel confirms Super Saiyan Broly no longer bothered trying to hurt Frieza once he beat him up enough and he detected was no longer any form a threat.

I think that's very curious.

But yeah, I was hoping to get more from the light novel.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:17 pm

HeartMachine3578 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:I guess there isn't anything substantially different about the light novel version of the Brolly movie? No one's said much about it outside of a few tweets from Herms.
Yeah the only thing I picked up from it so far is that the light novel confirms Super Saiyan Broly no longer bothered trying to hurt Frieza once he beat him up enough and he detected was no longer any form a threat.

So Brolli doesn't fight to kill, only until he's subdued his opponent? News to me. The tweets I read were about how Paragas 'repeatedly courted death by chopping off Brolli's tail each time it regrew'.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:48 pm

vashter wrote:So Goku did went UI in movie during his red-blue switchin, someone found a pause part he actually did went UI and doesn't know he tapped in it.
it did look like it.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:01 am

Chuquita wrote:
HeartMachine3578 wrote:

So Brolli doesn't fight to kill, only until he's subdued his opponent? News to me. The tweets I read were about how Paragas 'repeatedly courted death by chopping off Brolli's tail each time it regrew'.
Maybe it kept regrowing during a full moon :lol:
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:24 am

Rakurai wrote: Is that supposed to be a jab at the manga? "Toyotaro's headcanon," really?

Kale is a Legendary Saiyan. That's canon as fans like to put it, and if it doesn't contradict the anime's version of the story then that's what it is.

It's as canon as Belmod and Jiren's old master being friends once upon a time, and Jiren's wish being to bring his master back.
Uhh, the Manga is vastly different from the anime. Different sets of events, different abilities used by the characters, different background and lore concerning characters. It is literally just Toyotaro's interpretation of things. It's completely separate from the Anime and there are tons of contradictions. It's not inaccurate to call it Toyo's headcanon.

And you know there's probably a reason why he's not re-telling the Broly movie. They probably told him he wasn't allowed to. Because they didn't want him to mess around with the story they were telling. Especially given how little he cares about the strength differences between characters. Toyo's new arc has Goku and Vegeta getting easily KO'd by a random Galactic Patrolman. Using a stun blaster. This is Heroes level of not giving a fuck.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Glen300

Post by Glen300 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:52 am

vashter wrote:So Goku did went UI in movie during his red-blue switchin, someone found a pause part he actually did went UI and doesn't know he tapped in it.
Thats a cosmetic thing added by the animators to make the transformations flashier.