Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

HeartMachine3578

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:19 am

Terez wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Oh, we do see an Oozaru in this movie? Nobody mentioned it before. Nice.
its literally just in the Broly power explanation from Paragus
It's not even that. It's when Freeza first meets them and Paragus explains why he cut off Broly's tail.

Yeah it happens 2 times in the movie, a few seconds each. The first is when Paragus and Broly meet Frieza and the second is during the battle when Broly explains Broly's wrathful state to Freeza.

HeartMachine3578

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:20 am

Chuquita wrote:How's the Brolli light novel(s)? I'm considering buying a copy. I know there's two different editions (the regular light novel and version with furigana for all kanji). Is the content the same? Is there anything special about either version? I've heard very little at all about the Brolli light novels so I'm wondering.
I wanna know as well. I have yet to see anything substantial come out of what info we did get so far about them.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:29 am

HeartMachine3578 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:How's the Brolli light novel(s)? I'm considering buying a copy. I know there's two different editions (the regular light novel and version with furigana for all kanji). Is the content the same? Is there anything special about either version? I've heard very little at all about the Brolli light novels so I'm wondering.
I wanna know as well. I have yet to see anything substantial come out of what info we did get so far about them.

My Japanese reading level is high enough where I could probably read the one with furigana, but that one's on back order where I'm looking and I know they both contain screenshots from the movie along with character designs, but does one have some the other doesn't and vice versa? I'd like to get the regular light novel, but I want to know if it'd be worth it to pick that one knowing I'm not gonna be able to read it as easily as the other one.

This would be so much easier if they'd just done an ani-comic like they did for BOG.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

gantarat

Post by gantarat » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:53 am

I'm certain that next movies or new toriyama work will be about Broly again.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:10 pm

gantarat wrote:I'm certain that next movies or new toriyama work will be about Broly again.
Ew, I hope not

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Bio-Broly, no doubt.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:03 pm

Cooler's Revenge.

Make it happen, Toriyama-san.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:52 pm

Nickolaidas wrote:Cooler's Revenge.

Make it happen, Toriyama-san.
A real Frost Demon revenge story that nearly annihilates our saiyan protagonists (what RoF should have been and in the same vein as when the Z fighters first get ready for Frieza to touch down on earth) would be so fucking awesome and a gigantic "I'm sorry" for RoF.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:15 pm

I want to say that Cooler would seem pretty redundant, but considering that we got Broly after we we were already introduced to Kale, I guess it wouldn’t make much of a difference.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:39 pm

Broly at least has a personality and backstory separate from Kale, Cooler is just Frieza but less charming or unique.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:02 pm

Shaddy wrote:Broly at least has a personality and backstory separate from Kale, Cooler is just Frieza but less charming or unique.
Right, well, that's what the movie would be for..?

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:34 pm

No, clearly dude, no changes would be made to cooler.

I swear some of these reasons against canonizing characters are so stupid

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:24 pm

You guys realize that the "make him good though" rationalization was only useful in so far as Broly was something that was already happening, right? Just because you can justify adding an existing character to the main canon with "well they could change them to the point where it might as well be a different character anyway" doesn't mean it's better than just doing something more original in the first place. This is the same logic that gets us "they should totally remake Sonic 06 you guys", if you have to alter something so far from it's original version that it's basically unrecognizable just to make it acceptable, you might as well dedicate those resources and ideas to something NEW without forcing the baggage of the old lamer version on the audience. Don't be a dick to people just because they see it this way and you don't. I'd go so far as to say that even though the rebooted personality was successful, almost everyone would rather see a good NEW Dragon Ball story than a rehash of an old one on a conceptual level. Good execution doesn't change that.
Last edited by Shaddy on Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:26 pm

I hope they eventually release a Shintani Brolli movie art book at some point. I really like the new art style and would love to be able to buy a book that has all of that material in one place.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:39 am

gantarat wrote:I'm certain that next movies or new toriyama work will be about Broly again.
There's no way in hell

Or at least, I hope not

MaGyunia
Regular

Post by MaGyunia » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:56 am

Ossu, minna !

MaGyunia is back ! Fully powered-up, fully updated (never ceased to be, ever, in the slightest bit) and charged with absolutely immense amounts of information to transmit to you and discuss with you, accumulated over nearly two years of absence.

First of all, I know or assume this is not the right place or space to post this announcement, I hope the moderators don't mind, but I have no alternative. I'm sorry if that pressuposes any inconvenience, and I apologize in advance. If you decide this is not the place for this, please move it to somewhere else. In any case, I will have this piece of texto written down and saved securely just like I did with the small discussions and comments I made outside of the Kanzenshuu forum all along, and those will help me and facilitate my task of organizing all the information accumulated I need to give you and discuss with you. That was the purpose of saving it all (not that much, nothing nearly comparable to the amounts of text I was known and most of you will remember me for writing here), to one day come back here and share that, and much, much more with you.

Now, I'm not going to talk about my personal life, that's not what I came back for, obviously, and that is not the purpose of the forum. At the time when I wrote my last post about two years ago I mentioned extremely difficult life circumstances which made it impossible for me to nearly survive, let alone continue to be an active, daily participant here with you.

During this period of time I had to prioritize and it was with enormous effort and under extremely difficult circumstances that I never, ever missed an episode or ceased to watch each and every single DBSuper episode as it aired in Japan just like I did since the beginning and during my active years here, and I kept myself absolutely updated with every single piece of news from the Kanzenshuu website and other "less orthodox" sources. However, although in theory it could be possible, the resources at my disposal forced me to channel every single bit of time and restricted access to the internet to the watching of the episodes as they aired, rewatch numerous times those which meant the most to me and keep a continuous, incessant eye on every bit of news from the sources mentioned; I could have taken part in the forum simultaneously like I did before but I would have huge time restrictions and regarding access to the internet, so I preferred to move away instead of doing something imperfect and especially incomplete. Throughout the years, especially this one, with the climax of the Chikara no Taikai and the Broly movie, I thought to myself countless times how much it hurt me to be unable to continue taking part in the in-depth discussions here, but I knew and felt that I was always a part of this community and always set myself the goal to one day, regardless of how much time it would take, come back. I decided to do it now, simply because I couldn't take it anymore, apart from those who share the spirit of Dragon Ball with me, those who are knowledgeable about it as I am and charged with gigantic amounts of information to discuss in detail, in-depth, which reached the absolute breaking point with the recently released movie.

The technical conditions at my disposal continue to be the same, more or less, so please, when I do come back in an active part and start spreading all the accumulated information I need (more than want) to discuss with you and transmit to you, don't be surprised if there are multiple times and instances in which I take a relatively long time to reply, unlike what happened before back when I had constant access to the internet. And I'm talking about actual DBSuper and Broly-related information which I'll post in enormous amounts, this is just the announcement of my coming back.

When I wrote my last post long ago I only had time to see and read a few replies, and I remember one user saying "don't go, don't give up, Goku believes in you". I appreciate(d) that, but it is me who believes in Goku. I'm sure you understand what I mean by this.

I stopped posting and participating altogether more or less in the middle of the Zamasu/Black/Future Trunks arc of DBSuper, so I will need to cover in absolute detail, in-depth, profoundly, the climax of that arc, the preparations for the Chikara no Taikai, the Chikara no Taikai itself (Jiren, Migatte no Gokui, Toppo, Pride Troopers, Freeza resurrected, #17, Kefura, Super Saiya-jin Blue Shinka, etc., etc., virtually endless amounts of informations on these topics...) as well as the entire Broly movie, which I regard, like the climax of the Chikara no Taikai, as one of the biggest, best and greatest developments, and one of the most significant, in the entire history of the franchise.

Like any true, puré Saiya-jin warrior, I fought, battled under appauling circumstances and pressure but came out on top, and, of course, I come back even stronger than I was before after countless near-death (literally) battles.

Some of you might still be here from back then, so you'll remember me especially for the huge analytic texts.

I'll restart with actual in-depth discussions on what I need to catch up with you (in terms of discussing it with you and sharing it with you, not knowing or having seen it, as I explained) very soon, in a matter of days, and I'll be preparing my interventions rather carefully so as to avoid missing any fundamental, essential piece of information or discussion about any given certain topic and respective details and ramifications of this batch (second, last half of the Zamasu/Black/Future Trunks arc, Chikara no Taikai, Broly movie).

So, get ready. I'm back, and with me will come what has been described when I was a daily active member and participant of the in-depth discussions of the numerous extremely significant topics at hand as "giant walls of text".

I'm relieved to finally come back, although this is just an announcement. More than relieved. You are my Dragon Ball family and I felt at home here during the period of time when I was active on a daily basis. Finally, I'm back, perhaps sooner than I anticipated, for the reasons explained and mentioned.

Onward, then ! :twisted: I'm back ! Waku waku suruzou ! Tanoshimi da na, nakamatachi ! Get ready, I'll overload (just joking) you with understandably, taking into consideration the circumstances, absolutely enormous, gigantic, immense amounts of information given the time that has passed and the accumulation of extremely significant developments and in-universe events about which I'll be posting - and therefore fully updating myself with you, in here, the right place to be and to talk about anything Dragon Ball-related - in a matter of days.

I'm looking forward to that. More than that. Much more than that. I'm finally where I always wanted to be, and to come back to.

Thank you all in advance for "re-taking" me here, for welcoming me back here and for being, like you always, there as my Dragon Ball family. This is my home, and now I'm finally back. I'll see (read) you soon, very soon.

I decided it was a good idea to "formally" or "officially" come back with this announcement at the next-to-last day of the year as a way of saying I was present here before the new year comes to greet it together with you. Let 2019 come, let's welcome it and may it bring us the continuation of the infinite, endless and, above all, immortal universe of Dragon Ball !

Ikuso, minna !

Saiya-jin no Oji, Bejita-sama

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:09 am

MaGyunia wrote:Ossu, minna !

MaGyunia is back ! Fully powered-up, fully updated (never ceased to be, ever, in the slightest bit) and charged with absolutely immense amounts of information to transmit to you and discuss with you, accumulated over nearly two years of absence.

First of all, I know or assume this is not the right place or space to post this announcement, I hope the moderators don't mind, but I have no alternative. I'm sorry if that pressuposes any inconvenience, and I apologize in advance. If you decide this is not the place for this, please move it to somewhere else. In any case, I will have this piece of texto written down and saved securely just like I did with the small discussions and comments I made outside of the Kanzenshuu forum all along, and those will help me and facilitate my task of organizing all the information accumulated I need to give you and discuss with you. That was the purpose of saving it all (not that much, nothing nearly comparable to the amounts of text I was known and most of you will remember me for writing here), to one day come back here and share that, and much, much more with you.

Now, I'm not going to talk about my personal life, that's not what I came back for, obviously, and that is not the purpose of the forum. At the time when I wrote my last post about two years ago I mentioned extremely difficult life circumstances which made it impossible for me to nearly survive, let alone continue to be an active, daily participant here with you.

During this period of time I had to prioritize and it was with enormous effort and under extremely difficult circumstances that I never, ever missed an episode or ceased to watch each and every single DBSuper episode as it aired in Japan just like I did since the beginning and during my active years here, and I kept myself absolutely updated with every single piece of news from the Kanzenshuu website and other "less orthodox" sources. However, although in theory it could be possible, the resources at my disposal forced me to channel every single bit of time and restricted access to the internet to the watching of the episodes as they aired, rewatch numerous times those which meant the most to me and keep a continuous, incessant eye on every bit of news from the sources mentioned; I could have taken part in the forum simultaneously like I did before but I would have huge time restrictions and regarding access to the internet, so I preferred to move away instead of doing something imperfect and especially incomplete. Throughout the years, especially this one, with the climax of the Chikara no Taikai and the Broly movie, I thought to myself countless times how much it hurt me to be unable to continue taking part in the in-depth discussions here, but I knew and felt that I was always a part of this community and always set myself the goal to one day, regardless of how much time it would take, come back. I decided to do it now, simply because I couldn't take it anymore, apart from those who share the spirit of Dragon Ball with me, those who are knowledgeable about it as I am and charged with gigantic amounts of information to discuss in detail, in-depth, which reached the absolute breaking point with the recently released movie.

The technical conditions at my disposal continue to be the same, more or less, so please, when I do come back in an active part and start spreading all the accumulated information I need (more than want) to discuss with you and transmit to you, don't be surprised if there are multiple times and instances in which I take a relatively long time to reply, unlike what happened before back when I had constant access to the internet. And I'm talking about actual DBSuper and Broly-related information which I'll post in enormous amounts, this is just the announcement of my coming back.

When I wrote my last post long ago I only had time to see and read a few replies, and I remember one user saying "don't go, don't give up, Goku believes in you". I appreciate(d) that, but it is me who believes in Goku. I'm sure you understand what I mean by this.

I stopped posting and participating altogether more or less in the middle of the Zamasu/Black/Future Trunks arc of DBSuper, so I will need to cover in absolute detail, in-depth, profoundly, the climax of that arc, the preparations for the Chikara no Taikai, the Chikara no Taikai itself (Jiren, Migatte no Gokui, Toppo, Pride Troopers, Freeza resurrected, #17, Kefura, Super Saiya-jin Blue Shinka, etc., etc., virtually endless amounts of informations on these topics...) as well as the entire Broly movie, which I regard, like the climax of the Chikara no Taikai, as one of the biggest, best and greatest developments, and one of the most significant, in the entire history of the franchise.

Like any true, puré Saiya-jin warrior, I fought, battled under appauling circumstances and pressure but came out on top, and, of course, I come back even stronger than I was before after countless near-death (literally) battles.

Some of you might still be here from back then, so you'll remember me especially for the huge analytic texts.

I'll restart with actual in-depth discussions on what I need to catch up with you (in terms of discussing it with you and sharing it with you, not knowing or having seen it, as I explained) very soon, in a matter of days, and I'll be preparing my interventions rather carefully so as to avoid missing any fundamental, essential piece of information or discussion about any given certain topic and respective details and ramifications of this batch (second, last half of the Zamasu/Black/Future Trunks arc, Chikara no Taikai, Broly movie).

So, get ready. I'm back, and with me will come what has been described when I was a daily active member and participant of the in-depth discussions of the numerous extremely significant topics at hand as "giant walls of text".

I'm relieved to finally come back, although this is just an announcement. More than relieved. You are my Dragon Ball family and I felt at home here during the period of time when I was active on a daily basis. Finally, I'm back, perhaps sooner than I anticipated, for the reasons explained and mentioned.

Onward, then ! :twisted: I'm back ! Waku waku suruzou ! Tanoshimi da na, nakamatachi ! Get ready, I'll overload (just joking) you with understandably, taking into consideration the circumstances, absolutely enormous, gigantic, immense amounts of information given the time that has passed and the accumulation of extremely significant developments and in-universe events about which I'll be posting - and therefore fully updating myself with you, in here, the right place to be and to talk about anything Dragon Ball-related - in a matter of days.

I'm looking forward to that. More than that. Much more than that. I'm finally where I always wanted to be, and to come back to.

Thank you all in advance for "re-taking" me here, for welcoming me back here and for being, like you always, there as my Dragon Ball family. This is my home, and now I'm finally back. I'll see (read) you soon, very soon.

I decided it was a good idea to "formally" or "officially" come back with this announcement at the next-to-last day of the year as a way of saying I was present here before the new year comes to greet it together with you. Let 2019 come, let's welcome it and may it bring us the continuation of the infinite, endless and, above all, immortal universe of Dragon Ball !

Ikuso, minna !

Saiya-jin no Oji, Bejita-sama
Welcome back!!
How i predict the tournament will end:

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:32 pm

MaGyunia wrote:long post
Well, welcome back. I think your post is a little out of place here, not that I have a problem with it but I hoped to see your opinion over the new movie assuming you have been able to see it too, or that you have read the full spoilers.
Did you like the story, the new animation style they are using, the new colours, the new Broly etcetera?

I also took a while to figure out that the “Chikara no Takai” you were referring to is what we know as the Tournament of Power. I also have no idea what the hell you wrote after this :twisted: emoticon.
It’s a little difficult to understand things when you start mixing Japanese terms with English words, especially if you overdo it. But it’s nice to see you being so positive about Dragon Ball, and willing to share your thoughts in detail.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:48 pm

Doctor. wrote:
A Man named RJ wrote:
PFM18 wrote:The last words in the original manga are literally "I will surpass you one day, Kakarot." If you think after the Buu arc Vegeta has no desire to surpass Goku, then you misinterpreted his development.
Actually, that depends on whether I like how Toriyama handled his own ending too. Which (gasp) I really don't. What if i said the entire last 2 chapters ultimately felt retrogressive. What if I said I would have considered that last line to be equally as egregious as I consider Super's Vegeta? And what if i said, that even WITH that line in there, that wouldn't necessarily make Vegeta as antagonistic toward Goku as he is in Super?

Maybe i've been watching too much Dragon ball Dissection, but honestly, yeah, A lot of things Toriyama does in the end of his series feel like a mistake. There could have been a far more cathartic, and fitting ending to such a long series than Goku abandoning his family to train some random kid. across the world, when Goku can move to anybody's ki signature in the blink of an eye.
That line is only in the Kanzenban ending, which came out around... 2004-ish I wanna say? Anyway, the original Tankobon ending doesn't include that line from Vegeta.
I thought he looked a little............modern when i went back and double-checked. it's not in the anime nor is it in the manga I read way back when.

So all the people jumping down my throat over this, I knew I wasnt mis-remembering. I didnt "Misinterpret" Vegeta's character arc. I'm getting stumped here by something Toriyama came up with like 10 years later to reset Vegeta's character. That's outlandishly dumb. I don't appreciate Retcons doing things like that. I'm also not going to interpret this any other way from here on. It's a retcon. Toriyama's modern-era retcons SUCK (Dragon Ball Minus) and the franchise needs to move the hell on.

TL;DR I'm not going to mangle my understanding of Vegeta's character arc during the time it was written, because Toriyama decided to add a throw-away line in a reprint of his manga 10 years later. Nobody does that shit with the star wars rereleases, I'm not doing it with Dragon Ball.
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:15 pm

emperior wrote:
MaGyunia wrote:long post
Well, welcome back. I think your post is a little out of place here, not that I have a problem with it but I hoped to see your opinion over the new movie assuming you have been able to see it too, or that you have read the full spoilers.
Did you like the story, the new animation style they are using, the new colours, the new Broly etcetera?

I also took a while to figure out that the “Chikara no Takai” you were referring to is what we know as the Tournament of Power. I also have no idea what the hell you wrote after this :twisted: emoticon.
It’s a little difficult to understand things when you start mixing Japanese terms with English words, especially if you overdo it. But it’s nice to see you being so positive about Dragon Ball, and willing to share your thoughts in detail.
This. Nice to see you back, but using the full Japanese words for things like what I’m assuming is the ToP is just silly and really jarring to read.

Awhile ago, not sure if this was you or someone else, someone used “Dai san Dankai” to call Trunks’ bulky grade 3 form. If not for context I would have no idea. It’s one thing to prefer the subtitled version of the series, but going too far isn’t productive eithe. I don’t speak Japanese so adding full Japanese sentences in the middle of this makes things harder to understand too. Just try to pull back a bit