Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Gligarman » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:59 pm

Personally I loved it! I really like the fact that Saiyans are no longer being treated as an inherently evil race. I can’t stand that trope as I’ve always found the idea of an evil race of anything to be incredibly offensive so I’m glad Toriyama gave them more depth. Also the animation is crazy good!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:13 pm

Gligarman wrote:Personally I loved it! I really like the fact that Saiyans are no longer being treated as an inherently evil race. I can’t stand that trope as I’ve always found the idea of an evil race of anything to be incredibly offensive so I’m glad Toriyama gave them more depth. Also the animation is crazy good!
There’s still the matter of the series implying that Saiyans love fighting to the point where they’re willing to do selfish things just to satisfy their urges. That’s pretty much Goku’s excuse for doing things like letting Vegeta go and refusing to stop the artificial humans when he had the chance.

FrostByte
Not-So-Newbie

Post by FrostByte » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:15 pm

Gligarman wrote:Personally I loved it! I really like the fact that Saiyans are no longer being treated as an inherently evil race. I can’t stand that trope as I’ve always found the idea of an evil race of anything to be incredibly offensive so I’m glad Toriyama gave them more depth. Also the animation is crazy good!
Saiyans are still ruthless people who kill without any hesitation. Paragus killed Beets just so he could save rations. But there will always be outliers, like Broly and Gine for example or even Bardock to a certain extent.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:36 pm

I'm a little peeved that the movie isn't getting as much box office time in the states as it should. At least the cinemas in my State only have it showing once a day for certain days in January, and that's it from what I can tell. And only Regular seating. No RPX or anything. Kinda sad really. Would've loved to see it in RPX and more than once.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:15 pm

Finally watched the movie yesterday on the theaters as my country had one of the fastest premieres compared to Japan itself (thank you, Bezerra) and man I have a "few" things to say about it:

- The whole retconned first act telling the Saiyans story to their meeting with Freeza to their fateful demise was a bit dragged off... It was nice to show more of King Cold as he had no character in the arc he was introduced, but I'm really tired of all these Freeza-Saiyans stories already. Since 2008 in the Jump Special to this very movie we can't past a new content mentioning these sh*t! Get over already Toei/Toriyama! :problem:

- Despite despising Minus and preferring a thousand times the TV Special better than this stupid little story, the scenes with Bardock and Gine gave me a warm in my heart and I got huge goosebumps when he uselessly attempted to stop Freeza's Supernova only to be obliterated.

- Broly and Paragus fates to survive in a inospitable planet called Bampa was somewhat meh as I really expected Paragus to escape and I don't know develop the latent potential of his son better? :think:

- Cheelai and Lemo are interesting characters, good to know we can have more than a typical bland Freeza soldier.

- Let's talk about Freeza's wish... Well it was meant to be a joke, a reference to Commander Red and people thought it was really funny on the theaters and others like me were just cringing... Okay it's funny, but it DOESN'T MAKE A F*CKIN SENSE! Freeza can shape his body the way he wants! Wanting to waste the Dragon Balls in such a nonsense wish instead of preferring immortality is just character assassination for the purpose of lulz.

- I can't comment about the fights without mentioning power levels: I don't know why I even try... This a Super movie, remember? Of course it would have inconsistencies :lol: such like SSJ God Vegeta not handling to land a punch on almost transformed Broly and yet Base to SSJ Goku being able to hold off better.

- But let's go back to Broly's background... Prodigious Saiyan child that was long forgotten on an inospitable planet and got strong by fighting some huge insects and green dog things (?)
Well, I don't buy the whole thing of him being able to improve really fast, I mean Vegeta was his first opponent ever! It's a huge disservice to have a character, even if he's a Saiyan to be god damn strong, (by doing nothing than being isolated on a planet fighting primative creatures) in the realm of the gods, having Goku and Vegeta who busted their asses on training to be beaten like nobodies.

- The whole Oozaru power in the human form would sound like a cool idea back in the original Freeza arc, please it's stupid to think that a Base Saiyan within the power of a Great Ape could top God transformations.

- Trying to see the fights as it meant to be (without a calculator), the whole spectacle was amazing, though somewhat tiring as was basically like: Goku/Vegeta beating Broly > Broly improves > Goku/Vegeta transforms > Fight gets even > One get the upperhand > One transforms/improves again. Not talking that we had barely no dialogue on these :yawn:

- Freeza being beaten by Broly was really satisfying, mostly for me because him killing Paragus was really anticlimatic and though some though it was funny to mimic what he did on Namek, I believe Paragus deserved a better fate. Okay, he had to die, but what about more impact and emotion? Think about next time, Toei.

- Gogeta was eh... Fanservice, still would prefer Ultra Instinct to show up again with this playing on the background. It was kind lame that his Stardust Breaker failed and that he attempted to finish Broly with a standard technique, I mean about the Big Bang Kamehameha? But it was cool how Broly was saved by Cheelai's wish.

- Didn't like much what they attempted to do with this new Broly on Super, he's basically pure blooded Gohan, which indicates the latter is done for in the future of this series. I don't like that he's good and that Goku desires to casually visit him only to test his power.

- Also Goku mentioning that Broly might be stronger than Beerus is just mere assumption as neither he or Vegeta have fully experienced the full extend of his power, so people should not overreact about this line that only serves to hype the introduced character.

- Conclusion: this is the best DB movie to date only considerating animation and other visuals, but not the best story wise of course.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:26 pm

Noah wrote:
- Freeza being beaten by Broly was really satisfying, mostly for me because him killing Paragus was really anticlimatic and though some though it was funny to mimic what he did on Namek, I believe Paragus deserved a better fate. Okay, he had to die, but what about more impact and emotion? Think about next time, Toei.
I guess just to address this bit, I’m pretty sure his [paragus] execution was meant to be a bit of irony to how he had executed Beets just as callously near the beginning. I don’t know, just the fact that they’re (IMO) pretty similar in the way the scenes were executed (no pun intended), I do think it was intentional to make it the way it was.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:06 pm

I can’t wait to go see the film, unlike ROF or BOG every review I’ve skimmed over talks about how good the film is with little critiques. Most of the time they’re centered on Minus.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Yeah, most of the problems of this movie are in the past part, which is the one that has some (little/rushed) substance. After all, the present part is just fight so there isn't much to complain, right? You'll most certainly find this movie thoroughly enjoyable, from the very beginning to the very end, if you don't mind certain things.

Speaking of Dragon Ball Minus, I remember now that some people were saying that "Bardock had an unexpectedly amount of screentime" after the premiere last year, but I don't know where that came from. Bardock's role in this movie is exactly the same seen in Dragon Ball Minus.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:11 am

Grimlock wrote:After all, the present part is just fight so there isn't much to complain, right?
Not really. Most of the present time or at least a huge chunk of it is the perennially mentioned "space opera" portion of the movie that gives Broly and Chelai character.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:14 am

That scene with Paragus in Freeza's ship doesn't take too long though. And the "character" you say it's only because somehow he managed to tell a story, probably he spoke more than his alternate dimension counterpart but since he doesn't speak through the rest of the movie and only screams, he still suffers from the same problem.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:05 pm

...what? How is it offensive? And why is it a bad thing for them to be evil?

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:08 pm

offensive? are you a social justice warior? they arnt pure evil they are just psychopaths who has a lust for power and control. like many leaders in our real world and their armies. i dont see how can you get offended by it.

God Gogeta

Post by God Gogeta » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:06 pm

Noah wrote:Finally watched the movie yesterday on the theaters as my country had one of the fastest premieres compared to Japan itself (thank you, Bezerra) and man I have a "few" things to say about it:

- The whole retconned first act telling the Saiyans story to their meeting with Freeza to their fateful demise was a bit dragged off... It was nice to show more of King Cold as he had no character in the arc he was introduced, but I'm really tired of all these Freeza-Saiyans stories already. Since 2008 in the Jump Special to this very movie we can't past a new content mentioning these sh*t! Get over already Toei/Toriyama! :problem:

- Despite despising Minus and preferring a thousand times the TV Special better than this stupid little story, the scenes with Bardock and Gine gave me a warm in my heart and I got huge goosebumps when he uselessly attempted to stop Freeza's Supernova only to be obliterated.

- Broly and Paragus fates to survive in a inospitable planet called Bampa was somewhat meh as I really expected Paragus to escape and I don't know develop the latent potential of his son better? :think:

- Cheelai and Lemo are interesting characters, good to know we can have more than a typical bland Freeza soldier.

- Let's talk about Freeza's wish... Well it was meant to be a joke, a reference to Commander Red and people thought it was really funny on the theaters and others like me were just cringing... Okay it's funny, but it DOESN'T MAKE A F*CKIN SENSE! Freeza can shape his body the way he wants! Wanting to waste the Dragon Balls in such a nonsense wish instead of preferring immortality is just character assassination for the purpose of lulz.

- I can't comment about the fights without mentioning power levels: I don't know why I even try... This a Super movie, remember? Of course it would have inconsistencies :lol: such like SSJ God Vegeta not handling to land a punch on almost transformed Broly and yet Base to SSJ Goku being able to hold off better.

- But let's go back to Broly's background... Prodigious Saiyan child that was long forgotten on an inospitable planet and got strong by fighting some huge insects and green dog things (?)
Well, I don't buy the whole thing of him being able to improve really fast, I mean Vegeta was his first opponent ever! It's a huge disservice to have a character, even if he's a Saiyan to be god damn strong, (by doing nothing than being isolated on a planet fighting primative creatures) in the realm of the gods, having Goku and Vegeta who busted their asses on training to be beaten like nobodies.

- The whole Oozaru power in the human form would sound like a cool idea back in the original Freeza arc, please it's stupid to think that a Base Saiyan within the power of a Great Ape could top God transformations.

- Trying to see the fights as it meant to be (without a calculator), the whole spectacle was amazing, though somewhat tiring as was basically like: Goku/Vegeta beating Broly > Broly improves > Goku/Vegeta transforms > Fight gets even > One get the upperhand > One transforms/improves again. Not talking that we had barely no dialogue on these :yawn:

- Gogeta was eh... Fanservice, still would prefer Ultra Instinct to show up again with this playing on the background. It was kind lame that his Stardust Breaker failed and that he attempted to finish Broly with a standard technique, I mean about the Big Bang Kamehameha? But it was cool how Broly was saved by Cheelai's wish.

- Didn't like much what they attempted to do with this new Broly on Super, he's basically pure blooded Gohan, which indicates the latter is done for in the future of this series. I don't like that he's good and that Goku desires to casually visit him only to test his power.

- Also Goku mentioning that Broly might be stronger than Beerus is just mere assumption as neither he or Vegeta have fully experienced the full extend of his power, so people should not overreact about this line that only serves to hype the introduced character.

- Conclusion: this is the best DB movie to date only considerating animation and other visuals, but not the best story wise of course.
Not sure about UI to be able to beat ssj Broly, as he looked crazy strong and he powered up each time unlike Jiren who has a limit. I think Gogeta ssj is already lot stronger than UI Goku. And I don't think that's the stardust breaker Gogeta ssb used, looks more like a final ki ball to activate the huge explosion in a ki Barrage. Stardust Breaker works differently. Considering how much SSB is stronger than Normal ssj it's easy to say Broly ssj full power is that much times stronger than Ui Goku right now.
God Gogeta

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:42 am

The way I see Broly's improvement is that he didn't just become stronger fast with power ups, he simply learned how to use his power, the power that already existed within him but he never had the chance to bring it out, that is up until the SSJ transformation of course.

Here is why:
1) first, Vegeta literally said at the start of his battle with Broly that he is learning how to use his power. Meaning he is learning how to use something he already has.

2) Eventually Broly hit his limit, when he faced SSJB Goku he wasn't getting stronger anymore, which only supports my theory that he learned how to fully use his power, he is not getting power ups, hence why he stopped getting stronger.

That's why I don't see it as a flaw at all. I think it was completely fine. Broly is simply slowly tapping into his power, I mean it's his first fight after all, but it's a bit headcanon so I might be wrong.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:52 am

So since people have seen the film, a question before its out in my country.

Apparently, there is a saiyan in the flashback part called 'Moroko.' He's not King Vegeta's Butler, and the other two saiyans I know of from the cast list are Leek (bardock's pilot) and Taro (the moustache guy), both of the later were in Dragon ball minus. Is Moroko one of the ones seen in the screen shot next to Nappa's profile here?

God Gogeta

Post by God Gogeta » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:24 pm

Amir wrote:The way I see Broly's improvement is that he didn't just become stronger fast with power ups, he simply learned how to use his power, the power that already existed within him but he never had the chance to bring it out, that is up until the SSJ transformation of course.

Here is why:
1) first, Vegeta literally said at the start of his battle with Broly that he is learning how to use his power. Meaning he is learning how to use something he already has.

2) Eventually Broly hit his limit, when he faced SSJB Goku he wasn't getting stronger anymore, which only supports my theory that he learned how to fully use his power, he is not getting power ups, hence why he stopped getting stronger.

That's why I don't see it as a flaw at all. I think it was completely fine. Broly is simply slowly tapping into his power, I mean it's his first fight after all, but it's a bit headcanon so I might be wrong.
You're Right.
God Gogeta

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:48 pm

Shaddy wrote:Image

FREZA
Yeah I laughed too

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:13 pm

Amir wrote:The way I see Broly's improvement is that he didn't just become stronger fast with power ups, he simply learned how to use his power, the power that already existed within him but he never had the chance to bring it out, that is up until the SSJ transformation of course.

Here is why:

You are absolutely right. Broly was literally just tapping into power that was already there as the fight went on. Until he reached his limit with "Super Saiyan FULL POWER!" I here people all the time make the mistake in thinking these characters have infinite growth but there is no such thing in Dragonball. It was the same with Hit, he was just slowly reaching his full power. As the story stated he never needed to power up before he met Goku.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:53 pm

I agree with you on the idea of Saiyans not being an inherently evil race.

Also I don't agree with Cheelai and Lemo saying that Broly going berserk was the result of Paragus' influence. It was a part of him all along.
Last edited by Hulk10 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.