Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Extreme_kai
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Extreme_kai » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:02 am

Shaddy wrote:
zarmack wrote: Your post just proved mine & supersaiyanZero's point. Anything to you that doesn't support/reflect PC 50/50 equality is "problematic" and offensive to you, which is exactly how "soyboys" think. It is your insecurity over reality that is shown every time you post about these things.
I have, at multiple points, spoken about how it's not offensive to me personally. I'm calling attention to this stuff because it's good to be conscious of it, and you've decided that that means I'm "UwU so offended nasty XDDDD" because it supports the predetermined strawman you're trying to attack instead of my actual point. It's a weak argument on every conceivable scale. You're so obsessed with calling out anything I say as "overly PC trash" that you constantly overlook what any of it means, the same as that dumb exchange in the images thread. I keep using the word 'insecure' to describe you (besides the obvious) because this behavior is needlessly aggressive and incredibly defensive for no real reason, where a few terms just seem to set off some "HIT HIM WITH THE BUZZWORDS" switch in your brain or something.
zarmack wrote:Besides, strength and combat isn't just a physical thing, its a mental thing too, and males are more psychologically geared into fighting and action than females are. Its a fact of nature, not a "greater social issue". That's why even in Sci-fi/Fantasy fiction, most of the warriors and tough people are male (unless its a series where warrior chicks are the main gimmick, like Dead or Alive).
There are millions of works of fiction where there's not a huge gender gap in fighters. Even if the "psychological" thing is true (which uh, got a citation there buddy?) it doesn't mean anything when reality is such a non-factor on Dragon Ball in general, or when modern society is not focused on combat in the first place and thus any fantasy story where it's a central focus is already breaking a ton of physics restrictions in general.
zarmack wrote: Authors are not obliged to make their fiction inclusive of all groups, especially when said groups for the most part don't give a damn (like most female fans of Shonen anime/manga). For example, if I'm watching a Bollywood film, I don't expect to see a bunch of white folks nor black folks in it (nor would I care if their are).
And that's perfectly fine, I'm not complaining about the gender disparity in Dragon Ball, at least not in the way you're pretending I am. I'm saying that Toriyama's writing has leaned toward somewhat sexist for 3 decades, and that this line is just another demonstration to add to the pile. I'm not saying I hate the series or Toriyama for this. At no point have I implied any ill will to the man for this specific issue, only said that it exists, and it should be acknowledged. I'm not even saying Tori himself is sexist. I can't say that, I don't know the man, but I know some of the things he's written undeniably, unjustifiably, are. And even then, I'm not saying they've harmed anyone, just that people should pay attention to that stuff. I don't appreciate you trying to characterize this as some PC crusade on the series you have no more right to than I do.
Extreme_kai wrote: I'm confused how this has anything to do with Freeza being a sexist. Cheelai was the one that made that statement, so it would be her undermining the strength of women. If Freeza felt women were wholly useless he would have had none in his army maybe opt for child soldiers or robots if he thought that poorly of them. I will agree with on you with Toriyama's writing of female characters, but he's an old Japanese guy, what are we expecting of him? I go into Dragon ball and know what I'm going to get. If I want good female writing I look elsewhere.
Freeza would probably be the one who chooses who he does and doesn't put in his army. Given that biological sex and fighting power in this series aren't necessarily related in any way, he would have no reason to not have had them mixed in with anyone else unless he viewed them as weaker and only did so because he's desperate.

And I'm not saying this comes as any surprise, really. I'm not even saying there's much we can or should change about it, but I don't think it need be ignored regardless.

Also re: U6, they were forced up the ranks but it's not because of Suedom or gender but because Toriyama wrote the Tournament of Destroyers before the ToP, and didn't consider when saying "nobody in U6 has heard of super saiyan" that he'd need two more saiyans that were strong enough to rival Goku and Vegeta. He just needed something for Vegeta to teach cabba and decided on it being Super Saiyan. The guy doesn't think things through, it's hardly a secret.

Also yeah, 21 was made for people who liked this stuff, and possibly vore fetishists. Not that there isn't a place for that, but it is what it is.
I hear what you're saying but I feel it might bee more of Cheelai's internalized sexism from her culture, but going by Toriyama's humanoid rules male>female as far as physical strength, so who knows. I'll just say, Toriyama to that and move on.

I'm not in the camp that the female U6 Saiyan's were Sued because they are female, but thanks for clearing some things up. I knew it had to be for narrative purposes. I'm sure people wanted to see female super Saiyans but they could have easily made U6 know about the super Saiyan transformation prior.

As far as A21 goes, people can like her and vore as much as they like. As someone who draws disgusting lewd's in my spare time, I have no reason to judge. I just hate it when ppl are being disingenuous about her character. She was simply designed as Waifu bait and to have more females on the roaster, as simple as that. lol. Nothing is wrong with fan service, but I'm not going to lie to myself and pretend I like her as a character. It's a shame, given her back story she had a lot of potential, but no... They decided to go the overly sexed vixen route that most writers that don't know how to write interesting female characters do.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:09 am

Extreme_kai wrote: I hear what you're saying but I feel it might bee more of Cheelai's internalized sexism from her culture, but going by Toriyama's humanoid rules male>female as far as physical strength, so who knows. I'll just say, Toriyama to that and move on.
A fair theory, but we have no idea what that culture is. I mean, she seems pretty young, the culture she knows could be something defined by Freeza's rule for most of her life.
Extreme_kai wrote:I'm not in the camp that the female U6 Saiyan's were Sued because they are female, but thanks for clearing some things up. I knew it had to be for narrative purposes. I'm sure people wanted to see female super Saiyans but they could have easily made U6 know about the super Saiyan transformation prior.
I certainly wanted to see them, and I agree that they were shot up the ranks far too fast, it's just, they already did that with apparently just a cyborg transformation making the androids stronger than Goku's SSJ1, and Goten and Trunks having that state from age seven. They pulled the band-aid of transformations making sense or having weight to them off a long time ago. It goes with the general ethos of most of Super's problems just being inherited from Z and it struggling to fix them.
Extreme_kai wrote:re time, I have no reason to judge. I just hate it when ppl are being disingenuous about her character. She was simply designed as Waifu bait and to have more females on the roaster, as simple as that. lol. Nothing is wrong with fan service, but I'm not going to lie to myself and pretend I like her as a character. It's a shame, given her back story she had a lot of potential, but no... They decided to go the overly sexed vixen route that most writers that don't know how to write interesting female characters do.
I'm there with you, I just never expected much because Dragon Ball video game stories and original characters pretty much always suck. I don't even find her particularly hot tbh, so she does very little for me. Maybe if they gave her Videl's old pigtails.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 852
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:22 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by zarmack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:19 am

Shaddy wrote:
zarmack wrote: Your post just proved mine & supersaiyanZero's point. Anything to you that doesn't support/reflect PC 50/50 equality is "problematic" and offensive to you, which is exactly how "soyboys" think. It is your insecurity over reality that is shown every time you post about these things.
I have, at multiple points, spoken about how it's not offensive to me personally. I'm calling attention to this stuff because it's good to be conscious of it, and you've decided that that means I'm "UwU so offended nasty XDDDD" because it supports the predetermined strawman you're trying to attack instead of my actual point. It's a weak argument on every conceivable scale. You're so obsessed with calling out anything I say as "overly PC trash" that you constantly overlook what any of it means, the same as that dumb exchange in the images thread. I keep using the word 'insecure' to describe you (besides the obvious) because this behavior is needlessly aggressive and incredibly defensive for no real reason, where a few terms just seem to set off some "HIT HIM WITH THE BUZZWORDS" switch in your brain or something.
zarmack wrote:Besides, strength and combat isn't just a physical thing, its a mental thing too, and males are more psychologically geared into fighting and action than females are. Its a fact of nature, not a "greater social issue". That's why even in Sci-fi/Fantasy fiction, most of the warriors and tough people are male (unless its a series where warrior chicks are the main gimmick, like Dead or Alive).
There are millions of works of fiction where there's not a huge gender gap in fighters. Even if the "psychological" thing is true (which uh, got a citation there buddy?) it doesn't mean anything when reality is such a non-factor on Dragon Ball in general, or when modern society is not focused on combat in the first place and thus any fantasy story where it's a central focus is already breaking a ton of physics restrictions in general.
zarmack wrote: Authors are not obliged to make their fiction inclusive of all groups, especially when said groups for the most part don't give a damn (like most female fans of Shonen anime/manga). For example, if I'm watching a Bollywood film, I don't expect to see a bunch of white folks nor black folks in it (nor would I care if their are).
And that's perfectly fine, I'm not complaining about the gender disparity in Dragon Ball, at least not in the way you're pretending I am. I'm saying that Toriyama's writing has leaned toward somewhat sexist for 3 decades, and that this line is just another demonstration to add to the pile. I'm not saying I hate the series or Toriyama for this. At no point have I implied any ill will to the man for this specific issue, only said that it exists, and it should be acknowledged. I'm not even saying Tori himself is sexist. I can't say that, I don't know the man, but I know some of the things he's written undeniably, unjustifiably, are. And even then, I'm not saying they've harmed anyone, just that people should pay attention to that stuff. I don't appreciate you trying to characterize this as some PC crusade on the series you have no more right to than I do.
Extreme_kai wrote: I'm confused how this has anything to do with Freeza being a sexist. Cheelai was the one that made that statement, so it would be her undermining the strength of women. If Freeza felt women were wholly useless he would have had none in his army maybe opt for child soldiers or robots if he thought that poorly of them. I will agree with on you with Toriyama's writing of female characters, but he's an old Japanese guy, what are we expecting of him? I go into Dragon ball and know what I'm going to get. If I want good female writing I look elsewhere.
Freeza would probably be the one who chooses who he does and doesn't put in his army. Given that biological sex and fighting power in this series aren't necessarily related in any way, he would have no reason to not have had them mixed in with anyone else unless he viewed them as weaker and only did so because he's desperate.

And I'm not saying this comes as any surprise, really. I'm not even saying there's much we can or should change about it, but I don't think it need be ignored regardless.

Also re: U6, they were forced up the ranks but it's not because of Suedom or gender but because Toriyama wrote the Tournament of Destroyers before the ToP, and didn't consider when saying "nobody in U6 has heard of super saiyan" that he'd need two more saiyans that were strong enough to rival Goku and Vegeta. He just needed something for Vegeta to teach cabba and decided on it being Super Saiyan. The guy doesn't think things through, it's hardly a secret.

Also yeah, 21 was made for people who liked this stuff, and possibly vore fetishists. Not that there isn't a place for that, but it is what it is.
1. If its not offensive to you personally, then you wouldn't feel to need to point it out as sexist when essentially isn't. Actions speak louder than ones, and your actions on these these sugeest that you are offended by this. Common sense. You were obviously offended by that line in the movie about women and old folks not being cut out for war, otherwise you wouldn't have called much attention to it.

More and more people are growing to hate SJWs because we are tired of oversensitive, self-righteous people projecting racism and sexism into everything, and enforcing their blank-slatist, 50/50 equality views on all media.

2. "There are millions of works of fiction where there's not a huge gender gap in fighters." Name them.

" Even if the "psychological" thing is true (which uh, got a citation there buddy?) it doesn't mean anything when reality is such a non-factor on Dragon Ball in general, or when modern society is not focused on combat in the first place and thus any fantasy story where it's a central focus is already breaking a ton of physics restrictions in general."

"Society" has nothing to do with it. It is a biological fact that males are more into violence and action than females. We see this with how in both human and even monkey children, the boys generally play with action figures when the girls play with dolls, how series like Dragonball itself as well as every Hollywood action film & violent video game series has a mostly male fanbase, how soldiers, gangsters and warriors in virtually every culture are mostly male, etc. Its nature, not nurture, and fiction reflects the nature of those who make it.
Last edited by zarmack on Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Extreme_kai
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Extreme_kai » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:23 am

Shaddy wrote: A fair theory, but we have no idea what that culture is. I mean, she seems pretty young, the culture she knows could be something defined by Freeza's rule for most of her life.
Her backstory is that she was on the lam and stole a galactic patrol vehicle and snuck her way into the army, which leads me to think she hasn't been there very long. My question is, does Freeza even know she snuck in? From what Tagoma and even Freeza's own quotes in the anime, games, etc... He doesn't have contact with most of his recruits, most are just faceless grunts and some has never even seen him. Like, I'm sure he's not conducting hiring interviews with them lol. I'm not sure if you saw the movie yet, but there is a scene in the movie with a male soldier that kinda shows how some of them feel towards females in the army, especially attractive ones like Cheelai.
Shaddy wrote: I'm there with you, I just never expected much because Dragon Ball video game stories and original characters pretty much always suck. I don't even find her particularly hot tbh, so she does very little for me. Maybe if they gave her Videl's old pigtails.
She's ok, I always preferred her scientist look, personally.

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 852
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:22 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by zarmack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:28 am

Extreme_kai wrote: snip
What's so disingenuous about people liking A21 as a character? How do you explain all the fans that want her to be canon? How the explain the fact that the most popular version of the character (Good A21) is the least sexualized in personality? And based on what we got in DBFZ, she already has better characterization than 90% of DB's cast.

User avatar
Extreme_kai
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Extreme_kai » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:43 am

zarmack wrote:
Extreme_kai wrote: snip
What's so disingenuous about people liking A21 as a character? How do you explain all the fans that want her to be canon? How the explain the fact that the most popular version of the character (Good A21) is the least sexualized in personality? And based on what we got in DBFZ, she already has better characterization than 90% of DB's cast.

Once again, missing the point... I said it's disingenuous to make it seem like A21 is more than the pandering waifu bait she is lol. People like her because she is sexy, pandering, body pillow fodder, but anyone trying to make A21 out to be more than that is lying to themselves. It's time to see the forest from the tree, ok? I don't like her, but I don't care if other people like her. How many times must I repeat this? You almost seem offended that I don't like her. Am I not allowed to have a contrary opinion on a character meant to represent my gender in a fictional show about burly, multicolored haired, monkey men that like to punch each other for fun?

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:52 am

zarmack wrote:
1. If its not offensive to you personally, then you wouldn't feel to need to it out as sexist when essentially isn't.
Uh, no? I'm not offended by South Park either, but that doesn't mean it's not offensive (intentionally so for satire and parody).
zarmack wrote:Actions speak louder than ones, and your actions on these these sugeest that you are offended by this. Common sense. You were obviously offended by that line in the movie about women and old folks not being cut out for war, otherwise you wouldn't have called much attention to it.
That's not your place to decide. I said it was sexist because it is slightly sexist, and it's good to be aware of that. That's not the same thing as being personally afflicted or harmed by it.
zarmack wrote: More and more people are growing to hate SJWs because we are tired of oversensitive, self-righteous people projecting racism and sexism into everything, and enforcing their blank-slatist, 50/50 equality views on all media.
I'm sorry, you think being a social justice warrior is the same thing as just being egalitarian? How fucking soft and shielded are you? Do you not know what REAL sjws are? Because I remember that word describing people like this, so you trying to shove that label on to me just because I say men and women deserve equal representation in a fantasy series where gender is functionally meaningless really increases the level of cuntiness I perceive.
zarmack wrote: 2. "There are millions of works of fiction where there's not a huge gender gap in fighters." Name them.
Avatar, Fullmetal Alchemist, any Half-Life past the first one (Overwatch too, actually), Harry Potter (well, it has battles), even stuff like Cave Story, most JRPGs, the Sonic the hedgehog comics or fuckin Homestuck. And that's all off the top of my head scrolling through subreddits or steam pages. Looking through my anime list gives me stuff like Eva, Gurren Lagann, Kill La Kill, most Fate series, Attack on Titan, Dead Leaves and FLCL which all have a decent enough balance in gender for combat (though typically they focus on less characters in general than DB), Or hell, let's look at Dragon Ball's Shonen Jump counterparts. One Piece, Hero Academia, most arcs of JoJo, Naruto, some of Hunter X Hunter, The Promised Neverland, most of Doctor Stone, all have more balance (not 1:1, which is never what I suggested despite you trying to shove it in there anyway) and write their women better than Dragon Ball, and most don't resort to having old men sexually assault them for a gag in the process.
zarmack wrote: "Society" has nothing to do with it. It is a biological fact that males are more into violence and action than females. We see this with how in both human and even monkey children, the boys generally play with action figures when the girls play with dolls, how series like Dragonball itself as well as every Hollywood action film & violent video game series has a mostly male fanbase, how soldiers, gangsters and warriors in virtually every culture are mostly male, etc. Its nature, not nurture, and fiction reflects the nature of those who make it.
It's also nature that human beings can't shoot lasers out their hands. Dragon Ball is FICTION. Fiction that has gone so far beyond the realm of realism that "it's like that in real life!" (which, again still waiting on a source for that "fact" of yours) is not an acceptable reason for something this basic. And again, just because I acknowledge that there is no reason for this and you don't does not mean I feel personally attacked by it, regardless of what mental gymnastics you try to use to convince yourself otherwise.
Extreme_kai wrote:Her backstory is that she was on the lam and stole a galactic patrol vehicle and snuck her way into the army, which leads me to think she hasn't been there very long. My question is, does Freeza even know she snuck in? From what Tagoma and even Freeza's own quotes in the anime, games, etc... He doesn't have contact with most of his recruits, most are just faceless grunts and some has never even seen him. Like, I'm sure he's not conducting hiring interviews with them lol. I'm not sure if you saw the movie yet, but there is a scene in the movie with a male soldier that kinda shows how some of them feel towards females in the army, especially attractive ones like Cheelai.
Duly noted, I haven't seen the movie or read that much about that stuff so I actually didn't know that.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 852
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:22 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by zarmack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:26 am

Shaddy wrote:
zarmack wrote:
1. If its not offensive to you personally, then you wouldn't feel to need to it out as sexist when essentially isn't.
Uh, no? I'm not offended by South Park either, but that doesn't mean it's not offensive (intentionally so for satire and parody).
zarmack wrote:Actions speak louder than ones, and your actions on these these sugeest that you are offended by this. Common sense. You were obviously offended by that line in the movie about women and old folks not being cut out for war, otherwise you wouldn't have called much attention to it.
That's not your place to decide. I said it was sexist because it is slightly sexist, and it's good to be aware of that. That's not the same thing as being personally afflicted or harmed by it.
zarmack wrote: More and more people are growing to hate SJWs because we are tired of oversensitive, self-righteous people projecting racism and sexism into everything, and enforcing their blank-slatist, 50/50 equality views on all media.
I'm sorry, you think being a social justice warrior is the same thing as just being egalitarian? How fucking soft and shielded are you? Do you not know what REAL sjws are? Because I remember that word describing people like this, so you trying to shove that label on to me just because I say men and women deserve equal representation in a fantasy series where gender is functionally meaningless really increases the level of cuntiness perceived on my end.
zarmack wrote: 2. "There are millions of works of fiction where there's not a huge gender gap in fighters." Name them.
Avatar, Fullmetal Alchemist, any Half-Life past the first one (Overwatch too, actually), Harry Potter (well, it has battles), even stuff like Cave Story, most JRPGs, the Sonic the hedgehog comics or fuckin Homestuck. And that's all off the top of my head scrolling through subreddits or steam pages. Looking through my anime list gives me stuff like Eva, Gurren Lagann, Kill La Kill, most Fate series, Attack on Titan, Dead Leaves and FLCL which all have a decent enough balance in gender for combat (though typically they focus on less characters in general than DB), Or hell, let's look at Dragon Ball's Shonen Jump counterparts. One Piece, Hero Academia, most arcs of JoJo, Naruto, some of Hunter X Hunter, The Promised Neverland, most of Doctor Stone, all have more balance (not 1:1, which is never what I suggested despite you trying to shove it in there anyway) and write their women better than Dragon Ball, and most don't resort to having old men sexually assault them for a gag in the process.
zarmack wrote: "Society" has nothing to do with it. It is a biological fact that males are more into violence and action than females. We see this with how in both human and even monkey children, the boys generally play with action figures when the girls play with dolls, how series like Dragonball itself as well as every Hollywood action film & violent video game series has a mostly male fanbase, how soldiers, gangsters and warriors in virtually every culture are mostly male, etc. Its nature, not nurture, and fiction reflects the nature of those who make it.
It's also nature that human beings can't shoot lasers out their hands. Dragon Ball is FICTION. Fiction that has gone so far beyond the realm of realism that "it's like that in real life!" (which, again still waiting on a source for that "fact" of yours) is not an acceptable reason for something this basic. And again, just because I acknowledge that there is no reason for this and you don't does not mean I feel personally attacked by it, regardless of what mental gymnastics you try to use to convince yourself otherwise.
Extreme_kai wrote:Her backstory is that she was on the lam and stole a galactic patrol vehicle and snuck her way into the army, which leads me to think she hasn't been there very long. My question is, does Freeza even know she snuck in? From what Tagoma and even Freeza's own quotes in the anime, games, etc... He doesn't have contact with most of his recruits, most are just faceless grunts and some has never even seen him. Like, I'm sure he's not conducting hiring interviews with them lol. I'm not sure if you saw the movie yet, but there is a scene in the movie with a male soldier that kinda shows how some of them feel towards females in the army, especially attractive ones like Cheelai.
Duly noted, I haven't seen the movie or read that much about that stuff so I actually didn't know that.
1. Your calling me soft-hearted yet you fill the need to complain about alleged sexism in media, Yeah right :roll: . To prove my point again, you sound like all media ought to have 50/50 representation, while claiming that you allegedly don't care. This is exactly how many SJWs act

2. Your Shonen Jump examples are bad, because even if they have more female fighters than in DB (not an accomplishment), they are still mostly shown as useless compared to the major male characters or still greatly outnumbered (One Piece is the only sort-of exception to this). Naruto and MHA are particularly bad about this, and nearly all of those series also have fanservice gags too (more than DB actually).

3. Either way the fanbases of nearly all of those franchises you listed are predominately male also, so that doesn't refute the other half of my argument either.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:45 am

zarmack wrote: 1. Your calling me soft-hearted yet you fill the need to complain about alleged sexism in media, Yeah right
So to be cool and strong is being complacent in all the decisions of creators and never complaining. Got it.
zarmack wrote: To prove my point again, you sound like all media ought to have 50/50 representation, while claiming that you allegedly don't care. This is exactly how many SJWs act
No, because I still haven't said any of that. That's the shitty fake version of the argument you're attacking to avoid putting any effort into debating the real thing, and I'm not going to bother with it.
zarmack wrote: 2. Your Shonen Jump examples are bad, because even if they have more female fighters than in DB (not an accomplishment), they are still mostly shown as useless compared to the major male characters or still greatly outnumbered (One Piece is the only sort-of exception to this).
While I disagree with that on a multitude of levels, that's not really important at all.
zarmack wrote: and nearly all of those series also have fanservice gags too (more than DB actually).
And guess what? I was never complaining about fanservice gags as a concept, I specifically referred to Dragon Ball, and it's portrayal of Master Roshi sexually assaulting characters as a harmless, unimportant gag (with the line "I can't help it" from him thrown in too). That one's not even gender-specific, I wouldn't like it if he was groping Goku's dick either.
zarmack wrote: 3. Either way the fanbases of nearly all of those franchises you listed are predominately male also, so that doesn't refute the other half of my argument either.
Yes. I never addressed it because it doesn't matter.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 852
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:22 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by zarmack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:46 am

Extreme_kai wrote:
zarmack wrote:
Extreme_kai wrote: snip
What's so disingenuous about people liking A21 as a character? How do you explain all the fans that want her to be canon? How the explain the fact that the most popular version of the character (Good A21) is the least sexualized in personality? And based on what we got in DBFZ, she already has better characterization than 90% of DB's cast.

Once again, missing the point... I said it's disingenuous to make it seem like A21 is more than the pandering waifu bait she is lol. People like her because she is sexy, pandering, body pillow fodder, but anyone trying to make A21 out to be more than that is lying to themselves.
When has anyone ever argued that she wasn't lmao? Dragonball in general isn't deep all that deep, and she is no exception.

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1317
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:05 am

zarmack wrote:Not this again :roll: .

Sexism is the belief that one gender is inferior/superior in value to the other. Acknowledging innate differences between men and women (like average strength) isn't sexism, its common-sense. And I don't see anything in DB that states/implies that women are of lesser value than men or vice-versa. You sound like the type of person who'd be offended when a guy points out a fact like men are taller than women on average.
You are corroborating my point. I believe you meant to quote the person I was replying to.

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16633
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:32 am

The "ermergerd sjw boogeyman" folks can peace right on outta here as a community, please. That shit doesn't fly here.

Actual, legitimate discussion about gender roles in the franchise are absolutely welcome. This just doesn't seem like the appropriate spot for them to happen, as it's pretty unrelated to the rest of the discussion going on about this particular film, other than maybe the Cheelye tangent.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

User avatar
Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 770
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:53 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:33 pm

It's Cheelye or Chirai ? How do you spell her name :|
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

User avatar
alakazam^
I Live Here
Posts: 2714
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:55 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:41 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:It's Cheelye or Chirai ? How do you spell her name :|
Her name comes from "lychee", which can be ライチ (raichi) or ライチー (raichii), just swapping the syllables around. You can decide to write her name in various manners, depending on if you care more about the pun, the pronounciation, etc.

User avatar
mute_proxy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1152
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Planet 4032-877

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:50 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:It's Cheelye or Chirai ? How do you spell her name :|
In the movie booklet it's romanized as Cheelai

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:11 pm

I like Cheelai. Cheely or Chelye are technically more accurate, but I always end up reading them as "Chee-lee" or "Chell-yuh".
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:16 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:It's Cheelye or Chirai ? How do you spell her name :|
G-A-R-B-A-G-E is how I usually do it.

User avatar
mute_proxy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1152
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Planet 4032-877

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:21 pm

Doctor. wrote: G-A-R-B-A-G-E is how I usually do it.
Here's your bag of attention.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:34 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:It's Cheelye or Chirai ? How do you spell her name :|
G-A-R-B-A-G-E is how I usually do it.
Goodness, what ever would we do without such a worthy contribution to the discussion... :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

User avatar
Doctor.
Banned
Posts: 10558
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:02 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Doctor. » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:37 pm

Always free for more hot takes, lads.

Post Reply