Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Noitsnothim
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Noitsnothim » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:08 am

So...Why couldn't they have added Bardock's Iconic Red Headband When he rebelled against Freeza? that would've added an extra ounce of nostalgia and Hype

Toei/Toriyama really dropped the ball there

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:24 pm

Noitsnothim wrote:So...Why couldn't they have added Bardock's Iconic Red Headband When he rebelled against Freeza? that would've added an extra ounce of nostalgia and Hype

Toei/Toriyama really dropped the ball there
Wait, Bardock doesn’t have the headband when he rebels against Freeza? If that’s the case, that would contradict his one appearance in the original manga.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:53 pm

Is it really that big of an issue? As far as the manga is concerned, the headband is just a headband with no significant importance.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Yes, it is. His headband is an iconic and distinguishable feature. By removing it is like removing an important feature (and I include personality/characteristic in the mix) from each and every character (like ripping Goku out of his "easygoing" characteristic or Trunks and his a sword and so on). You can't really have a Bardock without his headband even it has no meaning, as I said, it is iconic at this point.

Remember that we are talking about a character that shares his appearance with at least four others in this franchise. So everything that helps to make Bardock unique must be kept.
WittyUsername wrote:Wait, Bardock doesn’t have the headband when he rebels against Freeza? If that’s the case, that would contradict his one appearance in the original manga.
Oh, if only the difference was just the lack of headband... The contradiction goes beyond that.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:33 pm

Grimlock wrote:Yes, it is. His headband is an iconic and distinguishable feature. By removing it is like removing an important feature (and I include personality/characteristic in the mix) from each and every character (like ripping Goku out of his "easygoing" characteristic or Trunks and his a sword and so on). You can't really have a Bardock without his headband even it has no meaning, as I said, it is iconic at this point.

Remember that we are talking about a character that shares his appearance with at least four others in this franchise. So everything that helps to make Bardock unique must be kept.
Being iconic doesn't oblige it to be there. You can have a Bardock without headband, because he doesn't have it for half of his TV special.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:41 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Being iconic doesn't oblige it to be there.
It actually does. Being iconic/popular is what determines everything in this franchise these days. Otherwise, Trunks should not have his sword in Dragon Ball Super, since he lost the previous one.
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:You can have a Bardock without headband, because he doesn't have it for half of his TV special.
However, Bardock did not become popular due to the first half of the TV Special, the thing is what happens in the second half. Bardock has his headband in his most popular scenes.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:54 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:
As expected, the highlight was the excellent latin american dub.
I wasn't expecting much about the dub, specially when in the trailer Vegeta said "he's learning MY moves!".

Fortunately, it ended up being just a translation for the trailer, the final product had him saying "he's learning too fast!"
Dark_Tzitzimine wrote: I do feel like the Bardock special was the better take on him.
Definitely, even his design was more unique in the Bardock special.
Dark_Tzitzimine wrote: Decent film, better than BoG and RoF but definitely not living up to the hype.
It will never live up to the hype (unless you mean yours specifically) because many DB fans get over hyped with anything new.
WittyUsername wrote: Bardock doesn’t have the headband when he rebels against Freeza? If that’s the case, that would contradict his one appearance in the original manga.
That's THE most clear retcon, the others are "hidden" from mistakes as calling a little boy a baby is irrelevant, and baby Goku scenes being filler.

But, Bardock was shown in the manga, all they had to do was add Bardock in space with the OG armor and bandana.

It was too much to ask apparently.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:00 pm

Melkaniator wrote:
Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:
As expected, the highlight was the excellent latin american dub.
I wasn't expecting much about the dub, specially when in the trailer Vegeta said "he's learning MY moves!".

Fortunately, it ended up being just a translation for the trailer, the final product had him saying "he's learning too fast!"
I also like the dub kept Freeza introductory line as "Nice to meet you, your majesty" instead of going for the english version "Hello monkeys".

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:02 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:Is it really that big of an issue?
No.
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:As far as the manga is concerned, the headband is just a headband with no significant importance.
Precisely.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:15 pm

After some thinking I would rate DBS: Broly with an 8/10 and ranking it as the #5 in my top of animated Dragon Ball features. The writing is on the weaker side of the spectrum the strong animation and directing manages to elebate a few ranks above the other features.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:23 am

Grimlock wrote:Yes, it is. His headband is an iconic and distinguishable feature. By removing it is like removing an important feature (and I include personality/characteristic in the mix) from each and every character (like ripping Goku out of his "easygoing" characteristic or Trunks and his a sword and so on). You can't really have a Bardock without his headband even it has no meaning, as I said, it is iconic at this point.

WittyUsername wrote:Wait, Bardock doesn’t have the headband when he rebels against Freeza? If that’s the case, that would contradict his one appearance in the original manga.
Oh, if only the difference was just the lack of headband... The contradiction goes beyond that.
Headband Bardock was the non canon version. This is the canon one. People need to get over it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:13 am

Except for two things:

• Bardock appears in the manga with headband.
• Dragon Ball does not have a canon.

You need to get over it now.

~ Day of the Machines ~

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:29 am

But if there's no canon then Bardock with headband in the manga means nothing.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:14 pm

Grimlock wrote:Except for two things:

• Bardock appears in the manga with headband.
Dragon Ball does not have a canon.

You need to get over it now.
Says who? If I were to say "Goku and Bulma hunt for the Dragon Balls (Pilaf Saga) then later Goku fights in a Tournament. That would indicate continuity, thus a canon. A set of rules or steps in which Goku gets from point A to point B. You can't say "Goku fights in a Tournament then looks for the Dragon Balls with Bulma" (Pilaf Saga) because that isn't what happened. So DB does have a Canon of events.

(Yes I am aware of the irony of my statement because after the tournament Goku looks for the Dragon Balls again with Bulma in tow. (Red Ribben Army Saga)
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:42 pm

"Dragon Ball has no canon" is such a meaningless phrase when there is so obviously a main continuity that some things fit into and others don't, especially now that official marketing material is using the word "canon" itself now.

I recommend you don't bother arguing with this guy. He just uses it as an excuse because he doesn't want to face the fact that the regular Dragon Ball universe is never going to care about all the non-storytelling of extraneous video game timelines.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:58 pm

SSJgogeto wrote:But if there's no canon then Bardock with headband in the manga means nothing.
In the greater scheme of things, it really doesn't when you put it that way. I told why I would prefer for Bardock to keep his headband, others would tell you their preferences as to why Bardock should remain with his headband and others will tell you that it doesn't matter if he wears it or not. It's all opinion, it has nothing to do with canonicity.
GTx10 wrote:Says who?
Says the lack of an official establishment.
GTx10 wrote:If I were to say "Goku and Bulma hunt for the Dragon Balls (Pilaf Saga) then later Goku fights in a Tournament. That would indicate continuity, thus a canon. A set of rules or steps in which Goku gets from point A to point B. You can't say "Goku fights in a Tournament then looks for the Dragon Balls with Bulma" (Pilaf Saga) because that isn't what happened. So DB does have a Canon of events.
You blatantly don't know the clear difference that exists between "canonicity" and "continuity". I would highly suggest you to meticulously look up for the difference and learn what they mean.

~ Day of the Machines ~

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:38 pm

Shaddy wrote:"Dragon Ball has no canon" is such a meaningless phrase when there is so obviously a main continuity that some things fit into and others don't, especially now that official marketing material is using the word "canon" itself now.

I recommend you don't bother arguing with this guy. He just uses it as an excuse because he doesn't want to face the fact that the regular Dragon Ball universe is never going to care about all the non-storytelling of extraneous video game timelines.
You did a great job of summarizing things. Well done. Some people like things outside of the main continuity so much that they pretend that the main continuity doesn't matter or doesn't exist.

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:59 pm

I really enjoyed Kanzenshuu's podcast reviewing Broly. But some of the comments towards it left me scratching my head wondering if we had seen the same film. And I think both are very discerning, and I thought their positives on the film nailed it. Let me mention some of the negatives:

Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers

1. They said: The film is confused at the end, because the audience doens't know who to cheer for, or who the villains are.
- Now, I've seen the Spanish version already. But, what I thought was made abundantly clear was this: Paragus and Frieza are the villains. Broly is essentially split into 2 characters: Regular Broly (who we come to love) and "Ozaru Broly", the insane version. We're not supposed to relate to Ozaru Broly or cheer for him. Once Broly transforms it's almost as if Frieza's won. They specifically make note of this during the fight when Goku starts to talk to Broly and explains why Broly is a victim.

2. They said: There's no tension. It's like a wrestling match, watching 2 "hero characters" fight in a random spectacle.
I think this confusion comes from the 2 conflicting emotions I felt during the finale: 1.Go Gogeta! 2. I feel bad for Broly. It's almost uncomfortable watching Broly get beat up. But, I thought the movie made it clear that this was the point of the scene. See, the entire 2nd act built up to the climax: Broly's plight inspires the Cheelai and Lemo into trying to save him. The climax keeps cutting back and forward between the Gogeta fight and Cheelai/Lemo trying to summon Shenron. They even show glimpses of Broly's eyes "changing back" into the good/tame Broly throughout the fight vs. Gogeta, implying he's still in there. So, at the end, when Broly's saved, it's supposed to be a relief for the audience. Now, whether they liked it or not doesn't change that ending did tell a coherent story that was built up throughout the film.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:06 pm

For anyone who’s interested, the movie’s Rotten Tomato score is currently at an 80 percent with a 6.7 average rating. Unsurprisingly, a good chunk of the reviews are in Spanish.
Last edited by WittyUsername on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Torturephile
Regular

Post by Torturephile » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:07 pm

Why not just tag it under spoilers like I did?
foxfang4 wrote:I really enjoyed Kanzenshuu's podcast reviewing Broly. But some of the comments towards it left me scratching my head wondering if we had seen the same film. And I think both are very discerning, and I thought their positives on the film nailed it. Let me mention some of the negatives:

Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers