Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Rakurai » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:21 am

mute_proxy wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
Luso Saiyan wrote:
No. The only (very minor) contradiction is his outfit.
And the fact that Frieza never met him, let alone should remember him.
And the fact that he's surrounded by Freeza soldiers, not saiyans. And that Freeza didn't wear a scouter. So pretty much everything
Honestly I couldn't really tell whether Bardock was surrounded by Saiyans or Frieza soldiers in the film. I thought it was Frieza's soldiers since he looked beat up. But it could be both as well.

Tho even without that, it's pretty clear that the film retconned the events of the manga panel alluding to Bardock and Frieza.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:26 am

Rakurai wrote:
Honestly I couldn't really tell whether Bardock was surrounded by Saiyans or Frieza soldiers in the film. I thought it was Frieza's soldiers since he looked beat up. But it could be both as well.

Tho even without that, it's pretty clear that the film retconned the events of the manga panel alluding to Bardock and Frieza.
Well, at least they didn't leave Freeza naked like in the first trailer

Broli Broly

Post by Broli Broly » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:19 am

By the way, when the Wrathful state awakened in Broly after he was kicked under the water, Goku asked Vegeta: "Have you ever seen a Saiyan like that before?"
Could this be the reason why neither of them mentioned Kale or any similarity of her to Broly? Does this confirm the theory that the source / concept underlying Broly's power and status as "mutant" Saiyan is different than that of Kale and by extension Kefla?

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:21 am

Rakurai wrote:And the fact that Frieza never met him, let alone should remember him.
Who said they needed to meet?

What's established in the manga is that Freeza recalls the Saiyan who made a stand before he destroyed the planet to be similar to Goku. He never claimed to have met him. He saw him and remembers him when he sees Goku for the first time. That's it. Bardock, along with the other Saiyans, is already up there when Freeza leaves his ship, so he did seem him. He simply doesn't care that they are there.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:23 am

funrush wrote:Agreed, I wish they at least had Bardock interact with Freeza in some way. There's a bit in the manga where Freeza recognizes Goku as looking like Bardock, "the Saiyan who resisted until the very end", so I was hoping that we'd get something close to his last stand in Father of Goku. Just nitpicking though.
Not a nitpick at all. You are just hoping for something that should have indeed been in the movie.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:53 am

Enjoyed the spectacle and seeing Dragon Ball on the big screen the fights and animations, color, scenery, music was amazing.

But I am with people that thought the story was just ok. I guess it is better than most Dragon Ball movies but that isn’t saying much. I felt besides the fights everything else felt really rushed, especially the blowing up Planet Vegeta section. I wonder if they should have just focused on Broly’s exile and not done that part at all.

I did like new Broly much more than old Broly. Not saying he has become a favorite character but I am fine with him and Happy he found a new “family” with Lemo & Cheelai at the end.

I did wish they built more on the connection between Goku, Vegeta and Broly than they did beyond just them fighting and Goku going to Broly at the end. Funny enough I thought the film connected Goku & Vegeta better and why I continue to love them as a team, their differences complement each other. With a Vegeta’s cynicism in not trusting Freeza and Goku seeing the best in people and understanding Broly.

I saw the movie with a co-worker who is very much a casual fan and I was like what did you think and he was like well it didn’t have much of a story. I don’t think he was as excited by the “look” of the movie as me.

Edit: Favorite moment was definitely “Good Luck Freeza” my entire theater exploded at that moment.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:45 am

I'm not sure I can get down with the criticism of the storyline, when...it's Broly. Like, he's not a character that requires a deep and layered tale to be woven around him to make him interesting. We love him because he's an unadulterated psycho badass.

I think that the light touch of story and humanization given to him this time around was simply perfect. It gave him a reason to be the way that he is without detracting from the appeal of what he is, and I also think that they handled his transition into being a protagonist without it being ham-fisted - there's no way the Broly of old could've done that.

Obviously, Broly as a concept is kind of an acquired taste. This movie was the best possible incarnation of Broly's classic theme.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:00 pm

I missed some points. About broly,s collar , when did Paragus put that on him and how he had that collar living in that remote planet . I believe broly broke the collar in one of his transformation when facing goku , but I couldn’t see the images , I just heard a metal sound , am I correct ?
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:51 pm

prince212 wrote:I missed some points. About broly,s collar , when did Paragus put that on him and how he had that collar living in that remote planet . I believe broly broke the collar in one of his transformation when facing goku , but I couldn’t see the images , I just heard a metal sound , am I correct ?
I would assume that he made the collar using whatever technological resources were available on his ship (and I’m sure he probably used parts from the ship itself.)

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:52 pm

Best. Birthday. Ever. Saw the movie yesterday. And yes... very much yes... waiting for Anime Ajay to pick it apart.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:40 pm

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Best. Birthday. Ever. Saw the movie yesterday. And yes... very much yes... waiting for Anime Ajay to pick it apart.
He already has check his reviews especially his animation review up on YT

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:12 pm

So I saw the film yesterday and not to board the hype train because I've already seen it through subsequent viewings before through cameras (both Japanese & Spanish dubs) and I gotta say I was blown away by the beautiful visuals and top dog animation I never realized how fast paced the film actually is (which was a turnoff for me) the story was very lackluster for me (I shouldn't have expected something deep when it's recent Toriyama) Broly is a great to addition to both Goku & Vegeta he fills in that empty space that Future Trunks or Gohan use to fill back in the OG days, My heart rate actually kept going up and up with each new fight (at some point I even asked myself if this was the same movie) and weird part is this film felt so fresh and so Movie-like no part at all made it feel like a dragged out special or two-three part episodes

Positives: Vic's english Dub voice for the new broly is incredible and truly works better than his old one but I love that he does a mix of both when he gets enraged or is in trouble, Chris's Vegeta voice performance was always so top notch during the ol' DBZ toonami run (Not Kai) to hear him sorta bring that sense and feeling of Vegeta back for this film was most definitely appreciated and of course Sean's Goku was terrific and really childlike and Comedic!

Negatives: I didn't like the liberty the english dub had with certain lines Especially with at the ending where Goku says (ENG Dub Only) "My name is Goku, But Broly, you can Call Me Kakarot" I did not like that all it's almost lying to the american fans that then in there Goku acknowledges Broly as a friend when both in the Japanese and Spanish dubs (which stayed true to each other) He did not, I just thought it was misleading as a hell but that's pretty much it

My Ratings for each version of the film:7.5/10 (English Dub version) 8.0 (Spanish Dub) 9.8/10 (OG Japanese Dub)

Dragon Ball Super: Broly being the first film under the Super title and the Franchise's 20th film really delivered greatly and Is a spectacle for anyone who loves animation, action, comedy, or just want to feel nostalgic about Dragon Ball and their childhood in general and for those avoiding the spoilers and do not know what happens in the final battle will truly be blown away (the final battle tops MUI Goku Vs. Burning Ultimate Warrior Jiren) This is definitely 100x better than Resurrection "F" and Way more entertaining than Battle of Gods I have neither of those two on Blu-Ray but I'm getting this one for sure I just have to own it (it's a movie that deserves to be part of cinematic masterpiece collections) Don't miss up the chance to see this film!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Is hard to keep track of everything so sorry if it was brought up already, was Gogeta more or less confirming that he and Vegito are, let's say, different manifestations of the same being something present in the original dub or it was a change from the LatAm one?

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:20 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Who said they needed to meet?

What's established in the manga is that Freeza recalls the Saiyan who made a stand before he destroyed the planet to be similar to Goku. He never claimed to have met him. He saw him and remembers him when he sees Goku for the first time. That's it. Bardock, along with the other Saiyans, is already up there when Freeza leaves his ship, so he did seem him. He simply doesn't care that they are there.
Bardock was so far away from Frieza's ship, and there is zero indication that Frieza in the film paid any attention to the group of people in space, if he even knew they were there at all. No mention of a rebellion by either him or his cronies.

You can only try to fit the two context together if you're a master of narrative origami.
Last edited by Rakurai on Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:23 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:Is hard to keep track of everything so sorry if it was brought up already, was Gogeta more or less confirming that he and Vegito are, let's say, different manifestations of the same being something present in the original dub or it was a change from the LatAm one?
Not sure what you mean by this. Gogeta is simply just the Metamoran fusion of Goku & Vegeta, whereas Vegetto is the Potara fusion. Whether they're the same person or not depends on how you feel about the differences in merging.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:38 pm

Rakurai wrote:
Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:Is hard to keep track of everything so sorry if it was brought up already, was Gogeta more or less confirming that he and Vegito are, let's say, different manifestations of the same being something present in the original dub or it was a change from the LatAm one?
Not sure what you mean by this. Gogeta is simply just the Metamoran fusion of Goku & Vegeta, whereas Vegetto is the Potara fusion. Whether they're the same person or not depends on how you feel about the differences in merging.
In the Latam dub, when he's asked by Piccolo on how he should call him he answers:

When we use the earrings, they call me Vegito right? Well, then...I'll be Gogeta

Implying that Vegito and Gogeta are the same being just with different appearances.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Rakurai wrote:Bardock was so far away from Frieza's ship, and there is zero indication that Frieza in the film paid any attention to the group of people in space,
What there's zero indication is that there's any contradiction with the manga in that regard. Just because you don't have a line of dialogue of Freeza acknowleding the Saiyans doesn't mean he didn't see them. Actually, he did see them because they were placed directly in his line of sight. So much so that he fired towards them and the planet.

Seeing is all that's required for Freeza to remember, and there's no contradiction on that.
Rakurai wrote:if he even knew they were there at all. No mention of a rebellion by either him or his cronies.
Irrelevant. They were up there, and that's enough to make the point. What Freeza said in the manga is not contradicted by the movie.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:13 pm

Noitsnothim wrote:
DarkPrince_92 wrote:Best. Birthday. Ever. Saw the movie yesterday. And yes... very much yes... waiting for Anime Ajay to pick it apart.
He already has check his reviews especially his animation review up on YT
I remember a spoiler-free version I watched a couple weeks back. Was there another one since? I will double check.

But to reiterate, this movie still has me pretty awed all things considered. Normally hype wears off quick for me.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:27 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:
Rakurai wrote:
In the Latam dub, when he's asked by Piccolo on how he should call him he answers:

When we use the earrings, they call me Vegito right? Well, then...I'll be Gogeta

Implying that Vegito and Gogeta are the same being just with different appearances.
Apparently yes. They are more or less the same person but done through different methods. But that's to be expected. After all, they are both made up of goku and vegeta.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:41 pm

I saw the movie last night and am seeing it again tonight. I did really enjoy and like this movie, and while the CG models were much more noticeable during the Other Dimension part of the fight, the only thing that really made me frown was how things progressed much too quickly. As if the film was rushing itself. It's 101min long and it still feels like it went by too quickly, especially the first half where it feels like we're missing a good chunk of the story. And I get the feeling this is because of how much they cut down Toriyama's script. That's kinda sad. It makes me feel like there was much more for us to know and see to get us more invested in the Saiyans, but it all got gutted just to make it feature length.

I really hope that the Broly Novel gets an official translation or someone does a really good fan translation of it for everyone to read, cause I feel like a lot of what was cut out will be in the book.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."