Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by DBZfan29 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:55 pm

Does anyone own the DBS: Broly program that was given out in theaters? I got the Resurrection F script and it's pretty cool so I'm thinking about buying the stuff they gave out in Japanese theaters for this movie too. Anyone know what's inside? Is it worth $20+?
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:42 am

Shaddy wrote:It's unexpected in that it made something like ten fuckin' times as much as Res F did opening weekend. Don't accuse WU of only listening to vocal minorities, it can still be impressive that it's doing as well as it is.
For starters, you need to get out of your feelings. Just because my statement about the vocal minority applies to guys like you, doesn’t mean you get to act as if I’m wrong for not using you all as a basis of the dragon ball fandom altogether. The promotion for this movie has been off the charts. The animation and fighting we saw in the trailers were better than anything that we saw with ROF. Much more appealing to the eye. Of course this movie was going to be a hit.

The only reason someone would think this movie wouldn’t be a huge hit is if they spent a ton of time on here and YouTube, listening to people complain about little details that turn them off about the trailer and blah blah. It’s not realistic.
How i predict the tournament will end:

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:15 am

TheOne wrote: For starters, you need to get out of your feelings. Just because my statement about the vocal minority applies to guys like you, doesn’t mean you get to act as if I’m wrong for not using you all as a basis of the dragon ball fandom altogether. The promotion for this movie has been off the charts. The animation and fighting we saw in the trailers were better than anything that we saw with ROF. Much more appealing to the eye. Of course this movie was going to be a hit.

The only reason someone would think this movie wouldn’t be a huge hit is if they spent a ton of time on here and YouTube, listening to people complain about little details that turn them off about the trailer and blah blah. It’s not realistic.
Funny that you tell me I'm being emotional, when upon hearing someone say it's doing better than expected you immediately jumped to "GOD THESE PEOPLE JUST LISTEN TO FANDOM POISON WHAT'S THIS DUDE'S FUCKING PROBLEM" like you just know that everyone else has been listening to insane negativity. He didn't even say he expected it to do poorly, just that it's doing better than he expected. And that makes sense, this thing has blown away just about everyone's expectations in some manner.

Calm your shit. You're making crazy assumptions for no reason.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:29 am

Now that it's been almost a week, here are some additional thoughts:

I'm glad Broly isn't described as THE Legendary Super Saiyan. I always disliked that concept in the old movies, because Goku and Vegeta's accomplishments are cheapened if it's implied they're not real Super Saiyans. Broly's just a mutant here, who's evolved to harness the power of Oozaru in his human form. His green hair form might be an extension of that or it's his SS2 or something. I'm wondering if his situation is at all similar to Kale's and whether or not they'll address that when the TV series returns. Maybe they do a "U6 Planet Vegeta" arc and at some point Broly and Kale meet.

It's kind of insane how powerful Broly is. Toriyama throws that little line in at the ending to tell us Broly is at least on par with Beerus, maybe even stronger. Broly has had 0 combat training, no zenkai boosts, just learned to go SS1 that same day, and he's already Beerus-tier. Give him another transformation and some zenkai boosts, and he'd really be a threat to maybe even the angels. This is a Saiyan who's really just better than Goku and Vegeta, and has a potential for growth so ridiculous that he might be the only one of our protagonists capable of stopping a dedicated Freeza.

The writing for the new characters is fantastic. Paragus is very much a gray area figure, and although he does stuff we disagree with as the audience, everything he does is very understandable, and I feel bad for him. The shock collar thing sucks, but like, what else was he supposed to do given the situation? Broly's also great, he's this tragic Tarzan figure now and he really is the star of the film. I hope we get more of him. I kinda disliked Cheelai, but same with Paragus, I really appreciated how human she felt.

Anyone else kinda see Broly as a replacement Gohan? Gohan's whole bit was that he'd get huge power boosts from rage, and Broly pretty much has that but way more intense. He's even kind hearted supposedly? I wouldn't be surprised if Broly takes Gohan's old role as the rage-boost deus ex machina character, while Gohan is permanently relegated to the Piccolo-tier bench.

The prequel portion of the film made me like Dragon Ball Minus more, but I still have some issues with it. Specifically the Bardock stuff. The Bardock portion doesn't feel like it actually belongs in this film. It doesn't fit into the narrative, it just exists so they can show Goku getting sent to Earth and that's it. There's a little snippet of a battle-damaged Bardock that implied there was a fight of some sort? If there were more scenes regarding that, they should have been in the film. If there was a scene where Bardock informs King Vegeta of his hypothesis and a scene of the Saiyans having a big battle with the Freeza soldiers, that would have tied together the "3 destinies" bit and made the DBMinus section feel more complete as a whole. Plus it'd be badass to see Bardock and King Vegeta fighting together and I kinda wanna see what Saiyan battle tactics were like.

I think Beets was an interesting character and I wonder if Tarble is similar to him, in that he might be a more technically-oriented Saiyan than a battle-oriented one. Cool to see Tarble "canonized" in this film. Also cool to see that other Saiyans survived Freeza's blast and just died at some point, it makes a lot of sense.

I find it odd that Whis continues to bring up the prospect of Goku becoming a God of Destruction. It almost feels like a trope at this point. I hope it actually goes somewhere, maybe not with Goku but with someone else. Broly seems made for the job. His tendency to rage out and destroy shit seems much less tragic if it's his 9 to 5 job as a God of Destruction. He's already Beerus-tier according to Goku (and likely Toriyama), so idk it just seems kinda perfect.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:36 am

So I thought over the last fight (and been rewatching the bootlegs of it on Youtube until an official Blu-Ray comes out) and I have a theory as to why they choreographed Gogeta and Broly shattering through dimensions like they did.

Akira Toriyama stated that he considers the movies to be in "an alternate dimension/universe" to the "main continuity", so by shattering through dimensions, Gogeta and Broly are literally shattering their way from the old movies to the main continuity.

That's one man's headcanon, at least

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:40 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote:Akira Toriyama stated that he considers the movies to be in "an alternate dimension/universe" to the "main continuity", so by shattering through dimensions, Gogeta and Broly are literally shattering their way from the old movies to the main continuity.
What Toriyama said is completely different from what happened in this movie. I explained it here.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:55 am

funrush wrote:
I'm glad Broly isn't described as THE Legendary Super Saiyan.
It's implied though.
funrush wrote: I always disliked that concept in the old movies, because Goku and Vegeta's accomplishments are cheapened if it's implied they're not real Super Saiyans.
Nope, Broly being THE legendary Super Saiya-jin, means the others are in fact just that, Super Saiya-jin.
funrush wrote: Broly's just a mutant here
Not proven, just a theory of King Vegeta.
funrush wrote: Maybe they do a "U6 Planet Vegeta" arc and at some point Broly and Kale meet.
U6 Planet Sadala.
funrush wrote: Broly has had 0 combat training
He trained with his dad.
funrush wrote: no zenkai boosts
We don't know that, there's a full life of him that we don't know.

His scars implied varios Zenkai might've been there.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:08 am

Melkaniator wrote:It's implied though.
It's implied by the doctors that he might become the legendary Super Saiyan (A.K.A. Super Saiyan of legend. Not a separate form), because he had so much power as a baby. Though he never became one. Goku became the legendary Super Saiyan after which it stopped being a legendary.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:12 am

Toyotarou draws more old characters who haven't been seen in DBSuper. This month features the rest of Bardock's crew: Panbukin, Seripa, Toteppo, & Toma.

https://dragonball.news/news/toyotarou201901.html

Bardock's movie crewmate: "An order to return home has been issued. Bardock and I are heading back to Planet Vegeta. What about you guys?"

Toma: "An order to return home? Wait a minute, we didn't hear about such a thing."

Dodoria: "Kukuku... This right here is the placed where you lot will be killed."

- "After this, Toma and the others couldn't be contacted... Because of this, Bardock's distrust towards the order to return grew much stronger." -

Toyotarou's message: "[Names of crew]! It would've been nice if these four were involved behind the scenes of the Broly film- but that's just my headcanon (lol)."

Seems like the OG crew finally made it into movie canon... not? Well either way they'd still be offed in the same manner as the TV special it seems. The Frieza cronies are even exactly the same as they were in the special.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Broli Broly

Post by Broli Broly » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:33 am

mute_proxy wrote:
It's implied by the doctors that he might become the legendary Super Saiyan (A.K.A. Super Saiyan of legend. Not a separate form), because he had so much power as a baby. Though he never became one. Goku became the legendary Super Saiyan after which it stopped being a legendary.
The Legendary Super Saiyan Form no longer exists. However, the concept of "The Legendary Saiyan" exists officially:
"In Japanese Cabba says "legendary Saiyan", but the Viz translation changes this to "legendary Super Saiyan". Sounds minor, but it was a whole plot point earlier that Cabba and the other U6 Saiyans had never heard the term "Super Saiyan" before meeting Goku and co." By Herms.
Since Kale is officially the Legendary Saiyan in U6, Broly is most likely The Legendary Saiyan in U7.
Last edited by Broli Broly on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:34 am

Rakurai wrote:Toyotarou draws more old characters who haven't been seen in DBSuper. This month features the rest of Bardock's crew: Panbukin, Seripa, Toteppo, & Toma.

https://dragonball.news/news/toyotarou201901.html

Bardock's movie crewmate: "An order to return home has been issued. Bardock and I are heading back to Planet Vegeta. What about you guys?"

Toma: "An order to return home? Wait a minute, we didn't hear about such a thing."

Dodoria: "Kukuku... This right here is the placed where you lot will be killed."

- "After this, Toma and the others couldn't be contacted... Because of this, Bardock's distrust towards the order to return grew much stronger." -

Toyotarou's message: "[Names of crew]! It would've been nice if these four were involved behind the scenes of the Broly film- but that's just my headcanon (lol)."

Seems like the OG crew finally made it into movie canon... not? Well either way they'd still be offed in the same manner as the TV special it seems. The Frieza cronies are even exactly the same as they were in the special.
You may want to take a look at this:
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:53 am

Broli Broly wrote:
mute_proxy wrote:
The Legendary Super Saiyan Form no longer exists. However, the concept of "The Legendary Saiyan" exists officially:
"In Japanese Cabba says "legendary Saiyan", but the Viz translation changes this to "legendary Super Saiyan". Sounds minor, but it was a whole plot point earlier that Cabba and the other U6 Saiyans had never heard the term "Super Saiyan" before meeting Goku and co." By Herms.
Since Kale is officially the Legendary Saiyan in U6, Broly is most likely The Legendary Saiyan in U7.
It’s still weird, because even with the dufferences in the spelling, Cabba and Caulifa still talk about the Saiyan that appears every 1000 years, and that just confuses everything even further.

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:58 am

mute_proxy wrote:
Well, it's not like Goku was the 1st super Saiya-jin, the 1st one was before Broly's time, Yamoshi, and they were still talking about it after.

Apparently, a Legendary Super Saiya-jin has an uncontrollable power that may be the user's undoing, as shown by Kēru.

Karifūra stopped that via fusion, in Broly's case, Gogeta stopped that via a legendary beating.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:37 pm

Melkaniator wrote: Well, it's not like Goku was the 1st super Saiya-jin, the 1st one was before Broly's time, Yamoshi, and they were still talking about it after.
Yes, it was Yamoshi, and during those hundreds of years after him, there was nothing, that's how Super Saiyan became a legend, but after Goku, everyone got it so it stopped being anything legendary :problem: though Yamoshi's legend still remains. We need a Yamoshi movie (preferably not involving time travel or the current cast)

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:13 pm

TheOne wrote:
Shaddy wrote:It's unexpected in that it made something like ten fuckin' times as much as Res F did opening weekend. Don't accuse WU of only listening to vocal minorities, it can still be impressive that it's doing as well as it is.
For starters, you need to get out of your feelings. Just because my statement about the vocal minority applies to guys like you, doesn’t mean you get to act as if I’m wrong for not using you all as a basis of the dragon ball fandom altogether. The promotion for this movie has been off the charts. The animation and fighting we saw in the trailers were better than anything that we saw with ROF. Much more appealing to the eye. Of course this movie was going to be a hit.

For the record, I never claimed this movie wouldn’t be a hit. I claimed that it being such a big hit in North America is surprising and impressive.

ironfist2020
Banned

Post by ironfist2020 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:53 pm

Zelvin wrote:
ironfist2020 wrote:So everyone ignoring that false super Saiyan broly is stronger then ssj god red goku
It's Ikari. And either way, it doesn't really matter. SSG is just another transformation with a higher multiplier than the earlier SSJ forms. Toppo before using his Hakai Form was strong enough to compete with SSB, so why is it an issue for Ikari Broly? It's not an issue. Broly's base level and growth potential is just that massive. There can be any number of reasons for them, however those reasons don't really matter that much. If Broly's base level is stronger than anything below them using SSG, then that is an indication that just one transformation for Broly would overshadow theirs. The proof of that is the movie itself.
To remind you goku went toe to toe with beerus in his ssj god form

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:31 pm

funrush wrote:Now that it's been almost a week, here are some additional thoughts:

I'm glad Broly isn't described as THE Legendary Super Saiyan. I always disliked that concept in the old movies, because Goku and Vegeta's accomplishments are cheapened if it's implied they're not real Super Saiyans. Broly's just a mutant here, who's evolved to harness the power of Oozaru in his human form. His green hair form might be an extension of that or it's his SS2 or something. I'm wondering if his situation is at all similar to Kale's and whether or not they'll address that when the TV series returns. Maybe they do a "U6 Planet Vegeta" arc and at some point Broly and Kale meet.

It's kind of insane how powerful Broly is. Toriyama throws that little line in at the ending to tell us Broly is at least on par with Beerus, maybe even stronger. Broly has had 0 combat training, no zenkai boosts, just learned to go SS1 that same day, and he's already Beerus-tier. Give him another transformation and some zenkai boosts, and he'd really be a threat to maybe even the angels. This is a Saiyan who's really just better than Goku and Vegeta, and has a potential for growth so ridiculous that he might be the only one of our protagonists capable of stopping a dedicated Freeza.

The writing for the new characters is fantastic. Paragus is very much a gray area figure, and although he does stuff we disagree with as the audience, everything he does is very understandable, and I feel bad for him. The shock collar thing sucks, but like, what else was he supposed to do given the situation? Broly's also great, he's this tragic Tarzan figure now and he really is the star of the film. I hope we get more of him. I kinda disliked Cheelai, but same with Paragus, I really appreciated how human she felt.

Anyone else kinda see Broly as a replacement Gohan? Gohan's whole bit was that he'd get huge power boosts from rage, and Broly pretty much has that but way more intense. He's even kind hearted supposedly? I wouldn't be surprised if Broly takes Gohan's old role as the rage-boost deus ex machina character, while Gohan is permanently relegated to the Piccolo-tier bench.

The prequel portion of the film made me like Dragon Ball Minus more, but I still have some issues with it. Specifically the Bardock stuff. The Bardock portion doesn't feel like it actually belongs in this film. It doesn't fit into the narrative, it just exists so they can show Goku getting sent to Earth and that's it. There's a little snippet of a battle-damaged Bardock that implied there was a fight of some sort? If there were more scenes regarding that, they should have been in the film. If there was a scene where Bardock informs King Vegeta of his hypothesis and a scene of the Saiyans having a big battle with the Freeza soldiers, that would have tied together the "3 destinies" bit and made the DBMinus section feel more complete as a whole. Plus it'd be badass to see Bardock and King Vegeta fighting together and I kinda wanna see what Saiyan battle tactics were like.

I think Beets was an interesting character and I wonder if Tarble is similar to him, in that he might be a more technically-oriented Saiyan than a battle-oriented one. Cool to see Tarble "canonized" in this film. Also cool to see that other Saiyans survived Freeza's blast and just died at some point, it makes a lot of sense.

I find it odd that Whis continues to bring up the prospect of Goku becoming a God of Destruction. It almost feels like a trope at this point. I hope it actually goes somewhere, maybe not with Goku but with someone else. Broly seems made for the job. His tendency to rage out and destroy shit seems much less tragic if it's his 9 to 5 job as a God of Destruction. He's already Beerus-tier according to Goku (and likely Toriyama), so idk it just seems kinda perfect.
One thing I noticed, that I haven't seen pointed out, is that Broly immediately wakes up to the sight of the moon. So, this confirms that Broly went Ozaru immediately. And the moon is massive, and always present, even in day time. I think Broly would have surely been affected by the giant moon, even after losing the tail. Maybe that's the source of his "extra level up", on top of being the Saiyan with the highest battle potential ever, and being a mutant.

The first time I watched it, I did have issues with Broly's never ending comebacks to whatever Goku/Vegeta threw at him. But, watching it again I noticed that Broly is actually on the verge of being the defeated a few times in the fight. He manages to pummel Super Saiyan God (red) but is clearly on the verge of losing vs. Blue. This is why Frieza sparks his final transformation, which if you go by GT logic, really is Super Saiyan 4. [Ozaru mode + Super Saiyan]. Based on Dragon Ball's own logic, it's not too much of a stretch to see that Broly could be that powerful.

So I don't have an issue with it anymore, especially compared to the way they wrote Kale. At least they added imagery so that fans could "fill it in" in their own heads without having it explicitly spelled out.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:19 pm

Broli Broly wrote:Since Kale is officially the Legendary Saiyan in U6, Broly is most likely The Legendary Saiyan in U7.
Cabba said she "might" be, not that she is.

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:31 pm

I see for some people the fights were hard to follow, but this is the type of speed and ferocity I want to continue in DB from now on, although some use of slow-mo or break in motion wouldn't hurt. Also, more destruction and conveyance of speed would also be better too, of course, this can't be shown all the time but at least when it matters which is a slight problem I had with the Gogeta vs Broly fight. Other than the reality-breaking, it didn't look that much stronger than Goku vs Vegeta in the Saiyan Saga or much faster than Goku vs Cell.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:36 pm

I just got back from seeing the film a few hours ago. The movie is a huge, outstanding success with scenes of the film paying homage to Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan (1993) and Fusion Reborn (1995). Turns out Broli was used as a puppet for Freeza and his father Paragus seeing Cheelai and Lemo became eventual allies with Son Goku in the end. I wonder if Broli can swoop in forming an alliance with the Z-Senshi/Earth's Special Defence Forces in the future DBS arc.

RATING: 8.75 / 10
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads