Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

nato25
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by nato25 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:26 pm

Kanassa wrote:
nato25 wrote:- Lastly I just remembered, when they really over-sexualised Cheelai in that one scene where she was talking with Lemo. Like she wasn't trying to be sexy or talking about anything related to that, and the camera was framing her in the most sexualised way, it just seemed really off. Could be a Japanese culture thing, I found it really strange and perverted frankly.
A side shot where one of the characters is bending over in an average manner, with no focus on making the shot tantalizing, nor even showing or putting detail into the areas that would be sexual is not even remotely sexualizing Cheelai.

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Kanassa wrote: How did Frieza's wish have anything to do with Namek? If anything, it was a parallel to the Bulma scene that came just before, right down to them both saying that they specifically have to go for five otherwise it'll be noticeable.
The way he held his fingers when saying he was going to make that wish was clearly a throwback to the 5 minutes scenario. It was done for the sake of a gag, one that I'd say worked well.
That wasn't a throwback, that was just contributing to the joke that he was making such a simple wish sound like a dramatic and sinister plot with how he presents it.
On Cheelai, t wasn't just that one shot though, it was several shots back to back putting her in tantalising positions. I didn't mind the scene where she stretches her armour over her boobs because that had purpose, i did take issue with the scene I'm referencing though.

On Freeza, its an obvious juxtaposition to Bulmas scene that happens two minutes prior. I did find it a little strange Freeza would care about something like that however the joke worked really well in my opinion so ai didn't mind it. If it was going to be a throwback I believe commander red wanted to wish for the exact same thing back in Dragon Ball. You can believe its a Namek throwback if you like and maybe the fingers holding up thing is, heavily doubt it though.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:47 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Something I found interesting was just how close Gogeta was to punching a hole in Broly's gut like Goku did in the original movie.

I was actually really afraid that it was gonna happen again when they showed the close-ups of Gogeta gut-punching Broly.

Imagine that! Being afraid that Broly was gonna bite it! Times really have changed, haven't they?
I agree. I thought it was a nice contrast that worked really well with the underlying themes of the story.

For example, there's this sudden tonal shift that happens right after we see Cheelai and Lemo holding Kikono at gunpoint. The music takes a dramatic, slightly somber turn, Gogeta's facial expressions become crazed and exaggerated, Broly starts to panic, the "GO BROLY" chants manifest again -- all of this happens at the same time.

I'm not sure if that was Toriyama's decision or Nagamine's, perhaps both, but the way it comes together at the end convinces me it was all intentional. My girlfriend is a very casual viewer and instantly picked up on the direction of the scene without me mentioning anything about it.

If viewers feel conflicted about Broly, I think the movie did its job; Broly is, after all, a conflicted character. The final third spends such a long time consistently hammering in the fact that he's slowly losing himself to his rage and destructive power, then abruptly pulls out that rug from under your feet by reminding you the good Broly is still in there only when you realize that it might be too late. It's such an effective way of reining in the audience and forcing them to empathize with a person who, for all intents and purposes, became a monster up until that point.

It might be one of my favorite directorial choices by far in DB, to be honest.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:41 pm

Off to see it subbed in half hour! Genuinely feel sorry for folks that don't have that option.

Dubbed was very good my only reservations for subbed is the battle grunts hopefully no atatata's. Looking forward to the Japanese cast interactions though!

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:16 pm

nato25 wrote:On Cheelai, t wasn't just that one shot though, it was several shots back to back putting her in tantalising positions. I didn't mind the scene where she stretches her armour over her boobs because that had purpose, i did take issue with the scene I'm referencing though.
But that one shot, the one you take issue with (Even though I'd hardly call the only other example hardly sexualizing), isn't sexualizing her. Nothing tantalizing about the way it's shot, drawn or the view we're given.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:04 pm

nato25 wrote:
On Cheelai, t wasn't just that one shot though, it was several shots back to back putting her in tantalising positions. I didn't mind the scene where she stretches her armour over her boobs because that had purpose, i did take issue with the scene I'm referencing though.

Cheelai's ass had more screen time than Bardock and Gohan combined in this film

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:30 pm

Kanassa wrote:
nato25 wrote:On Cheelai, t wasn't just that one shot though, it was several shots back to back putting her in tantalising positions. I didn't mind the scene where she stretches her armour over her boobs because that had purpose, i did take issue with the scene I'm referencing though.
But that one shot, the one you take issue with (Even though I'd hardly call the only other example hardly sexualizing), isn't sexualizing her. Nothing tantalizing about the way it's shot, drawn or the view we're given.
If it just happened once I would probably just have let it slip but the fact it was back to back shots forced me to notice. And even in that one shot her ass was taking up the majority of the screen and she was bent over. I don't know if you guys watch music videos or not but thats sexy pose 101 right there. I just took issue with the sexualisation of a character that wasn't trying to be that in the slightest and it diminished her character in that scene and turned a strong female character into a sex object. Her dialogue was lessened because I was distracted by the unnecessary way the camera was framed. To me she wasn't portrayed like that in any other scene so why it was done that way in those 30 or so seconds is out of my understanding.

It couldn't just be me noticing because the theatre was definitely murmuring during that scene.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:40 pm

I saw the movie and this movie is the BEST MOVIE IN THE ENTIRETY OF THE DRAGON BALL FRANCHISE EVER PERIOD AND I ADD TOO AN EXCLAMATION MARK !

My knee are weak I am crying from joy and my jaw hurts because I was most of the movie jaw dropping !

And as for Broly as a character has becoming one of my favorite I love this mix between Hulk and Tarzan THAT'S SUBARAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASHIIIIIIII !
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:21 pm

nato25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
If it just happened once I would probably just have let it slip but the fact it was back to back shots forced me to notice. And even in that one shot her ass was taking up the majority of the screen and she was bent over. I don't know if you guys watch music videos or not but thats sexy pose 101 right there. I just took issue with the sexualisation of a character that wasn't trying to be that in the slightest and it diminished her character in that scene and turned a strong female character into a sex object. Her dialogue was lessened because I was distracted by the unnecessary way the camera was framed. To me she wasn't portrayed like that in any other scene so why it was done that way in those 30 or so seconds is out of my understanding.

It couldn't just be me noticing because the theatre was definitely murmuring during that scene.
I don’t have any strong opinions on the matter, but people in in my theater were laughing quite a bit during one of the scenes where she was bending over, and if I had to be completely honest, I did feel a certain degree of embarrassment at the situation.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:21 pm

Just got back from watching the film subbed (watched the film dubbed yesterday) and I can now confirm four things:

- Bin Shimada is an absolute beast. He puts in arguably puts in his best performance as Broly in the movie. And that in itself is a major accomplishment. He's just like Nozawa... he somehow gets better with age.
- This is now the third Dragon Ball movie that I find comfort in watching in Japanese and English.
- Goku vs Broly in the Ice Continent is officially the best battle Dragon Ball has ever produced. And one of the best 2D animated fights I've seen in many years.
- The film in general hold up well with repeated viewings (It's still a 9/10 for me):

Regular

Post by AvatarReiko » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:22 pm

Could someone explain King Vegeta's actions? I got really confused. Why exile Broly instead of simply executing him(like OG King Vegeta did) if he was scared that Broly would surpass Vegeta and threaten his rule? Why take that risk when killing Broly would 100% guarantee that he is no longer a threat

What actually set Broly off? Goku/Vegeta and Paragus/Frieza were having their exchange and Broly became more and agited as they all talked

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:A few more things I wanted to add to my review of the movie, before I kind of trailed of due to feeling a little sick while doing the review:

- I made, well semi-made, the point that in the last 40 minutes that Broly doesn't talk at all and lets his actions speak for himself:
I do find it quite disappointing that in the last 40 minutes of the film, Broly pretty much because this
To finish this point, yes, I found it quite disappointing that Broly doesn't contribute much in terms of dialogue once he starts fighting Goku, Vegeta and Freeza. It seemed more like pandering to the misconception that Broly is thoughtless monster who screams a lot when he fights. Which, in itself, make me all the more grateful he lived by the end of the movie as it give him more room for development and the audience don't label him as just a hulking, screaming, giant pile of muscle like the original Broly post Movie 8.

- The cinema experience was wonderful. The entire place was packed, 95% adults, and a lot black people as well (myself included).

- The dub was fantastic. Everyone brought their A-game.
You mean you are not purple, Lord Beerus?

Finally someone who actually addresses Broly as more than the caricature that people remember.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:33 pm

Hey guys! So, I've been trying to go see Dragon Ball Super Broly in theaters but I just couldn't because of all the snow outside. And I'm praying that I see it at least once before it goes away, but I don't know how many more days it has left. Which is why I'm gonna ask you guys, how many more days does this movie have left?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:48 pm

AvatarReiko wrote:Could someone explain King Vegeta's actions? I got really confused. Why exile Broly instead of simply executing him(like OG King Vegeta did) if he was scared that Broly would surpass Vegeta and threaten his rule? Why take that risk when killing Broly would 100% guarantee that he is no longer a threat

What actually set Broly off? Goku/Vegeta and Paragus/Frieza were having their exchange and Broly became more and agited as they all talked
I assume since he is King didn't want to get a bad rep for killing a child for no reason, like he said sending babies to planets wasn't knew and so this was a disguised assassination basically.

As for what set Broly off, well Freeza basically said it he has never fought anyone before and seeing two people of his race and Saiyans being battle hungry probably him off hence why Whis also warned Bulma about the battle that was about to happen.

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:49 pm

AvatarReiko wrote:Could someone explain King Vegeta's actions? I got really confused. Why exile Broly instead of simply executing him(like OG King Vegeta did) if he was scared that Broly would surpass Vegeta and threaten his rule? Why take that risk when killing Broly would 100% guarantee that he is no longer a threat

Well if King Vegeta started executing babies, the other Saiyans would likely revolt against him when it becomes known that he's doing this to any child that could rival his family and elevate their status from low-born to high-class. And if he'd do that to the son of a Lieutenant in the Saiyan Military, then who else would he do it to? If he just sends a child from a low-class family to an outlying world, then that's just standard procedure. But if he commits infanticide, the citizens and perhaps others would not accept that.

For King Vegeta, sending Broly to Vampa would end in one of two ways; either Broly dies on the planetoid and he has nothing to worry about, or Broly is stranded on Vampa and he still doesn't have to worry about him. He wouldn't care if Paragus went or not since it as likely Paragus would die there as well. That and he could just say Paragus went against his orders and would be killed on sight. Seeing as Paragus was the only one who figured things out outside of Vegeta's court meant that his actions wouldn't be known to anyone else once Paragus had ran off world.

As for what was making Broly upset when the fighting began, he was responding to Paragus' agitation and anger. This was Vegeta, the son of the man his father hated. Like I had said much earlier, Broly was basically raised as an attack dog by Paragus. Broly responded to his 'owner's' emotions.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:09 pm

No Gohan was a big L for this movie and no dialogue for LSSJ broly
Besides that, everything was bang on perfection.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:09 pm

nato25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:

You make it sound like a character can't be both sexual and 3 dimensional, which is a false dichotomy.
Last edited by ruler9871 on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:22 pm

Also, is anyone else disappointed that we never got to see Vegeta's and Broly's mothers in the Broly film? Such a missed opportunity, it would have been nice to see the Queen of all U7 Saiyans.

Also, the lack of Android 17 & Gohan (both of who'm are comparable to Golden Freeza in power and would have been of great help against Broly) in the movie was another disappointment, as well as Freeza's dumb, out-of-character wish.

The DB Minus parts were the worst aspects of the film. 90's Bardock is so much better in every way, and King Vegeta was better portrayed in the Namek saga filler (were he actually leads a rebellion against Freeza before Bardock does) than he was in the film.

But other than, DBS Broly was awesome. It has the best action and animation of any DB film by a mile, and in terms of story only Battle of Gods, The History of Trunks and Bardock The Father of Goku beat it. I have mixed feelings about the new Broly compared to M8 Z-Broly though. While I like that they fleshed him out more, I don't like that they made him essentially another Gohan and took away the savage evil psychopath traits that made his Z counterpart iconic. Besides Zamasu and Freeza (who's from Z), Super barely has any real villains in it.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:28 pm

Nobody answered my question.
Caulifla best girl! :)

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:03 pm

ruler9871 wrote:
nato25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote: But that one shot, the one you take issue with (Even though I'd hardly call the only other example hardly sexualizing), isn't sexualizing her. Nothing tantalizing about the way it's shot, drawn or the view we're given.

You make it sound like a character can't be both sexual and 3 dimensional, which is a false dichotomy.
Definitely not the point I wanted to get across sorry if it could be misread that way. I think Cheelai was a great character with multiple dimensions and was also obviously an attractive character. However in that scene she wasn't trying to be sexual, she was having an actual conversation and while she was having that conversation the camera was basically just focusing on her ass. So my problem is not at all with Cheelai as a character, but how the artists/director framed her in that scene.

foxfang4
Beyond Newbie

Post by foxfang4 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:05 pm

Did Broly and Paragus just hangout in that area near the ship for 41 years? It looked different when Chilai and Lemo arrived. So, I'm guessing they carried the ship around as a house because of its distress signal.