Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Weejus » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:24 pm

Well, now I've seen it in both Japanese and English. I was actually quite entertained. The animation was a sight to behold (though I do wish the camera didn't shake so much so I could fawn over the art). This is probably the first instance of a post-Dragon Ball work where I could remember the music, so that's something. Not just the chanting (which I seem to enjoy more than most), but some of the melodies that permeate the score stick in my mind. I know fine well I'll be poring over particular shots and frames once the home release comes around.

There are a few peculiar dub changes. For example, in Japanese, Goku asks Freeza what 'inimicable' means, but in English, he asks what 'repugnant' means. A more 'drastic' change was when after Freeza whines about Goku and Vegeta fusing, in Japanese, Gogeta chastises Freeza's hypocrisy, but in English, he just says he'll deal with him later. None of it breaks the film, of course. One line may not seem 'drastic', but for me, it seems to shift Gogeta's attitude a little bit, given how little dialogue he has. Saying that, a lot of the lines seemed almost 1:1 between Steve Simmons' English translation and FUNimation's dub.

I...guess I like Broly's character now? I remember being crestfallen when I first heard Broly would be the centrepiece of the whole thing, but they definitely did...something with him. There's something in there that can be empathised with, given the themes of ostracisation and abuse. I was more ready to accept Minus in this, at the very least. In all honesty, I need to rewatch the original Bardock stuff before dropping hot Bardock takes. It actually felt like the half hour-ish devoted to it gave the narrative bullet points time to breathe and allow the viewer take the scene in (as opposed to Minus cramming whatever it had into sixteen pages). Perhaps I'd liked to have seen more of Bardock and Gine (the latter of whom is onscreen for less than five minutes), but I'm not sure what I would have wanted them to do.

Most importantly with regards to Broly, the idea of characters feeling legitimate empathy and/or sympathy for one another regardless of alignment at least feels new for Dragon Ball, or at least...post-Saiyan arc Dragon Ball? I'd like to see more of that, even if the whole thing must come down to a fight.

Listening to the Kanzenshuu podcast, I liked the idea of Broly's origins paralleling Goku's. I wonder if they could have done more with the child Vegeta to fulfill that whole 'three fates' idea.

Watching Broly pummel Freeza senseless was rather satisfying. I love Freeza, but I also enjoy him getting his just desserts. He makes for good pseudo-comic relief. He's around, he's a bit wacky, his plans kind of backfire but he's hardly damaged. Some may see his role here as having diminished his presence and former formidability, but at this point, Freeza's already lost that. I'm cool with it. I wish Berryblue had more lines. She seemed to get as much pre-release promotion as Cheelai, Lemo, and Kikono, but she had, what, four lines in comparison to Cheelai and Lemo being semi-actively involved in the narrative? I know her existence is just 'vaguely funny looking character to stand by Freeza', but I wanted more of her. I find Cheelai's 'devotion' to helping and living with Broly a bit extreme, but it facilitated a cute ending, I suppose. I was warmed by Goku 'befriending' Broly. Goku's pure desires shining through are always a wholesome bookend to the experience (at least when they're not at the expense of others).

Please give us more new characters next time. I was pleasantly surprised with how Broly (the character) turned out in the end, but Battle of Gods gave us new characters that are now beloved and accepted with the rest of the gang. Can we have that again? As I said when Broly was first announced for this, I enjoy when DB embraces new ideas and designs, even when they don't always work. Still, I am motivated to watch this film again, and I'm looking forward to whenever the home release happens.

Scratch all that, Ribrianne was in for a second. Perfect. 10/10. Make the next one ninety minutes of Ribrianne.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:29 pm

So... what's this "lack of tension" I keep hearing about? I didn't want to see poor Broly get killed. That was what made the final fight intense for me. When Gogeta was powering up that Kamehameha I really wanted Broly to get out of there and survive the battle. He looked so terrified. Gogeta was not playin' around, he was getting ready to kill Broly.

I love that during the final fight I didn't know who I was rooting for. It made for a really unique sequence where you wanna see Gogeta do all his cool shit, but goddamnit you know Broly is really in a whole lot of pain deep down. It's that good kind of confusion that pays off in the end. It gets you to look at the fight differently after repeated viewings.

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:40 pm

Finally saw it last night. I was watching dubbed and had the bad theatre mix some people have been reporting. Dialogue was loud but could barely hear the music. That was a disappointment because I love this movie's soundtrack ('Gogeta vs Broly' is my everything now) and I really didn't get the best out of it. Hopefully they'll fix it for the home release, if not there's always the Japanese dub.

I don't know what I could say to really add to what everyone else has said. Animation, comedy, action were all great. My favourite parts were the scenes on the ship with Broly, Cheelai, Lemo and Paragus. One fun thing I noticed with the three big fights was the way the animation styles almost tied into the characters. Vegeta's fight was highly detailed, efficient and heavy, Goku's was loose, flowing and almost experimental if that makes sense, and Gogeta's was a mixture of both, combining the punchiness and detail of Vegeta with the loose style and crazy choreography of Goku. I think Goku's might have been my favourite of the three, but they were all good and again, that Gogeta vs Broly music just HAS me now. Go Sumitomo go.

I love Broly's character (the old one is dead to me now) but I wish he'd been given time to express himself, especially in the second half. Those ship scenes could have stood with being longer, and the fight needed more to break it up. Once it got going, all we really got was Goku's brief moment trying to reason with Broly, the fusion intermission and some occasional commentary from the peanut gallery. I get that he's having a breakdown, but could they really not have given Broly something to do besides scream?

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:04 pm

I kinda liked when Gogeta had this smug look on his face when he hit Broly with his Soul Punisher, looking like he'd just won the day with his cool new move, before being distracted by Shenron being summoned, only to turn right back around to this scene-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXMEO6Vsgl8
Broly so damn tough he hardly looks like he's taken any damage at all, and showing that Gogeta Blue didn't put enough oomph into what is essentially his One-hit-Kill special move. The thing that curbstomped Janemba...only pissed off Broly even more. Gotta love it.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:50 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Hey guys! So, I've been trying to go see Dragon Ball Super Broly in theaters but I just couldn't because of all the snow outside. And I'm praying that I see it at least once before it goes away, but I don't know how many more days it has left. Which is why I'm gonna ask you guys, how many more days does this movie have left?
To the best of my knowledge today was the last day. Sorry dude. :(
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:04 am

Saw it, loved it.

But things are legit missing to connect the movie together.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:35 am

PremiumSalt wrote:
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Hey guys! So, I've been trying to go see Dragon Ball Super Broly in theaters but I just couldn't because of all the snow outside. And I'm praying that I see it at least once before it goes away, but I don't know how many more days it has left. Which is why I'm gonna ask you guys, how many more days does this movie have left?
To the best of my knowledge today was the last day. Sorry dude. :(
It’s still showing in my area through at least next Thursday. You might still have hope.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:53 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:So... what's this "lack of tension" I keep hearing about? I didn't want to see poor Broly get killed. That was what made the final fight intense for me. When Gogeta was powering up that Kamehameha I really wanted Broly to get out of there and survive the battle. He looked so terrified. Gogeta was not playin' around, he was getting ready to kill Broly.

I love that during the final fight I didn't know who I was rooting for. It made for a really unique sequence where you wanna see Gogeta do all his cool shit, but goddamnit you know Broly is really in a whole lot of pain deep down. It's that good kind of confusion that pays off in the end. It gets you to look at the fight differently after repeated viewings.
Personally I am with you I did feel tension.... for Broly! You see him get some control when his pupils came back as the fear of death was hitting him...

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:37 am

I managed to see it and I think it's the best Dragon Ball movie ever made (let's hope there will be more) but the Saiyan lore from the first part of the movie was... really rushed. Before planet Vegeta's explosion, Bardock was shown with damaged armor, so his rebellion must have happened. There were Frieza soldiers in the background as well. Shame it was probably cutted out. Maybe director's cut will be released?
Fights were a little too long. I wish they cutted some fights. Instead, I would love some more character interactions, especially between Bardock and Gine (plus mentioned earlier rebellion) and Broly and his new friends.
The movie soundtrack is great, especially "Bardock Falls" and "Broly's Rage and Sorrow". I'm liking "I'm Kakarotto" too, it's really goofy and I think it fits well with Goku. Other pieces are good too but those three I've mentioned are my favourites.
I really loved that moment, when Goku acknowledges himself as Kakarotto. Maybe Broly will call him like that in the future?
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:00 am

Absolutely loved it, and weirdly I wanted MORE of the Bardock stuff. I wanted more on the saiyans, Bardocks implied dash into space. I'd like to know what happened to the other saiyan survivors seen with Nappa and what Tarble was up to.

King Vegeta and Paragus were both great. I dont know if its a dub only thing, but Paragus seemed to have buried his love for his son, and it genuinely seemed to come out when he was scared his son was going to die. That seemed like some of his love for his son started to come out, and in a weird way, I felt a little sorry for the dude.

Beets was a complete bro.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:45 am

Saw the sub last night (I assume everyone else who did so went to a Cineworld showing too?). My friend had to bail as his girlfriend was in a car accident and right before the movie I had to take my flatmate home as she ate a little too much "special" cake and passed out so ended up seeing the movie by myself but didn't matter, I was absolutely transfixed from beginning to end. And the empty seat next to me meant I didn't have to sit next to the dude munching popcorn etc literally the entire movie so yay.

Was such a trip. The animation was unreal. Broli was an actual character. The Saiyan/Freeza backstory, despite Bardock now being Jor-El, was a sweet fan treat (spotted Abo and Cado in one shot!). The fight scenes were out of this world. The ending was perfect and demonstrated some real character growth for the first time in a while. I was so wrapped up in it I actually forgot Gogeta would be appearing so that was just icing on the... well, I'd already had some cake. But yeah, visual spectacle on a slack-jaw-for-most-of-the-movie scale. Nagamine, Ogura, Shintani... you guys can stay. Please stay.

Also thanks to everyone who answered my Bardock/manga query... the conflicting answers I got made me even more intrigued to see how that scene played out. :mrgreen: As far as I'm concerned the manga isn't contradicted and all is right with the world. In my headcanon Freeza's scouter picks up Bardock's power spike as he prepares his blast and zooms in on the source, hence how Freeza remembers his face so clearly. But after 20-plus years, of course you're not going remember exactly how that one monkey dressed or where he was standing. :wink:
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:13 am

Don't know if someone mentioned it before, but in the new story mode trailer of Jump force, particularly on the 41th second, Vegeta has green hair.

Here, check it out yourselves : https://youtu.be/-b3tEqJ3-g4

Maybe the green hair Vegeta briefly had in the movie was some kind of advertising method for the game.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

freak27

Post by freak27 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:26 am

Unfortunately there is no screening here in Greece :/

Any word/guess on the Blu-Ray release?

Thanks!

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:31 am

MyNiggaGoku wrote:Don't know if someone mentioned it before, but in the new story mode trailer of Jump force, particularly on the 41th second, Vegeta has green hair.

Maybe the green hair Vegeta briefly had in the movie was some kind of advertising method for the game.
That's black hair, the green environment is affecting how it looks

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:41 am

nato25 wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
nato25 wrote:On Cheelai, t wasn't just that one shot though, it was several shots back to back putting her in tantalising positions. I didn't mind the scene where she stretches her armour over her boobs because that had purpose, i did take issue with the scene I'm referencing though.
But that one shot, the one you take issue with (Even though I'd hardly call the only other example hardly sexualizing), isn't sexualizing her. Nothing tantalizing about the way it's shot, drawn or the view we're given.
If it just happened once I would probably just have let it slip but the fact it was back to back shots forced me to notice
'Back-to-back'? The scene you mention are 20 to thirty minutes apart.
. And even in that one shot her ass was taking up the majority of the screen and she was bent over.
Her ass took up barely any of the screen and was pushed to the side. Leemo took up more of the screen leaning over her.
I don't know if you guys watch music videos or not but thats sexy pose 101 right there.
It's a sexy pose when viewed from certain angles. From behind, from the front, tilted side or from above. When you frame it from the side with little detail, nothing much visible and the character themselves being drawn flat, you're not framing it sexually.
I just took issue with the sexualisation of a character that wasn't trying to be that in the slightest and it diminished her character in that scene and turned a strong female character into a sex object. Her dialogue was lessened because I was distracted by the unnecessary way the camera was framed. To me she wasn't portrayed like that in any other scene so why it was done that way in those 30 or so seconds is out of my understanding.
If that flaccid shot diminished her character, that sexy shower scene must have really degraded Broly
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:54 am

The Tori-bot wrote:As far as I'm concerned the manga isn't contradicted and all is right with the world. In my headcanon Freeza's scouter picks up Bardock's power spike as he prepares his blast and zooms in on the source, hence how Freeza remembers his face so clearly.
Having your own explanation does not take away a contradiction though. Otherwise all fictional works would be flawless.
Last edited by Grimlock on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

MyNiggaGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MyNiggaGoku » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:57 am

mute_proxy wrote:
MyNiggaGoku wrote:Don't know if someone mentioned it before, but in the new story mode trailer of Jump force, particularly on the 41th second, Vegeta has green hair.

That's black hair, the green environment is affecting how it looks
Now that you mention it, you are right. It seemed like he had green hair for a split second though.
My Dragon Ball Super 'Canon'

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:13 am

Grimlock wrote:
The Tori-bot wrote:As far as I'm concerned the manga isn't contradicted and all is right with the world. In my headcanon Freeza's scouter picks up Bardock's power spike as he prepares his blast and zooms in on the source, hence how Freeza remembers his face so clearly.
Having your own explanation does not take away a contradiction though. Otherwise all fictional works would be flawless.
You're correct. That said... whatever, dawg. If I can figure out a way to make it all hang together based on what new info I'm given, well then that's just part of the fun for me. That's why I added the caveat of "As far as I'm concerned".

With stories that are this long-running and have such a huge fandom, the people making the content will never be as meticulous and obsessive about the lore as the people consuming it. So, if I want a fully consistent world I have to do a little bit of the work myself, and I'm cool with that. Because otherwise... yeah, it's a clear contradiction. The continuity and by extension the entire fictional universe of Dragon Ball is broken as the two versions of events are irreconcilable and we accept it's all a stupid cartoon and grow up. But who wants that? So yeah, if I can rationalise/explain it away in a way that still maintains the structural integrity of the fiction, I see no reason not to do that. It's like figuring out the answer to a tricky math problem and getting a little bit of satisfaction that you've solved it in a way that makes sense.

I wasn't expecting to see Bardock attempt to stop Freeza at all based on what I was told, so that we even got that was a welcome surprise to me and a sign that they at least tried to honour that moment. Word of advice - don't get into Doctor Who. That world is impossible for the continuity-obsessive to enjoy without some serious mental gymnastics.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:35 am

The Tori-bot wrote:Saw the sub last night (I assume everyone else who did so went to a Cineworld showing too?).
Odeon! Cineworld near me didn't have any subbed screenings but ever since our Odeon upgraded to LUXE hardly ever go Cineworld anymore anyway so Odeon having it was very convenient also the same big screen as the dub which was awesome.

Hated how Manga changed stuff like "Frieza" again... also white subtitles were a bad choice in the ice continent especially. Should have gone with yellow.

Both the Japanese and English performances though were great, I mentioned it in another thread but both Nozawa and Schemmel breathed new life into Goku somehow. Honestly I don't know how Nozawa keeps doing it, her Bardock also sounded good too!

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:47 am

I’m late to the party to respond but I saw it twice already because I thought it was so good. I enjoyed the opening parts with King Vegeta and Bardock more than I expected. The movie felt a lot more cinematic. I guess that’s from the direction and how scenes were framed, etc. The dialogue was pretty good. I enjoyed the new take on Broly’a character but Cheelai was my very favorite new character.

Obviously we all knew the animation was gonna be great but it just blew me away. Far better than I expected. The new style is so refreshing.