Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:30 pm

tinlunlau wrote:Read this review from variety.com and couldn't help but laugh at all backlash this critic is receiving. It was well deserved, lol!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.co ... 12731/amp/
Yeah some of the reviews are joke, one negative reveiw the person was complaining that the film does nothing but appease fans and I am thinking well no shit!
dblack wrote:Really liked the dub.
Pleasantly surprised by the story, action and animation was as expected but didn’t blow me away. I think the shaky cameras and flashing lights kept me from processing the fights sometimes, looking forward to rewatching.
Think Broly could’ve spent a little more time pummeling Goku or Vegeta before the fusion, seemed pretty out of place for a barely-winded Goku to IT out and fuse.
Other than that I was thoroughly entertained for the entire duration.
Hope to hear something new announced in the near future.
I wouldn't be surprised if cuts happened during that portion, Vegeta also went from full armour to sudden battle damage very quickly I don't think we even got a steady shot of Vegeta in armour in SSGSS.
Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Now I still haven't seen the film, but there's something I gotta ask to the people that have seen it, based on what I read...
Does anyone else feel that Broly's Super Saiyan Berserk form (I'm still not calling it Super Saiyan Full Power) is kinda treated like a joke? Seriously, they promoted that form so heavily in the market, yet here comes the actual film and it only gets like what, 3 to 4 minutes of screentime? Yeah, not very Legendary, am I right?
I expected we wouldn't get much screen time of FP Broly because they hardly showed us any footage of it despite like you said it being severely marketed, especially after the Gogeta trailer still showed SS Broly.

Despite the short screen time FP Broly still is pretty popular even a month after the Japanese premiere, that definitely surprised me.

ruler9871
Regular
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:45 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by ruler9871 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:48 pm

Is it just me, or that Base Broly in the film sounds like Qrow from RWBY. Yes I know, Vic Mignogna, but Base Broly in previous media over the years sounded differently.
Last edited by ruler9871 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

User avatar
PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here
Posts: 2257
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:53 pm

ruler9871 wrote:Is it just me, or that Base Broly in the film sounds like Qrow from RWBY. Yes I know, Vic Mignogna, but Base Broly in previous media over the sounded differently.
He was probably directed to voice Broly differently to fit with the character's new characterization.

User avatar
KingKaash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 412
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:58 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by KingKaash » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:34 pm

I just watched the Broly movie in dub here in the the US and I absolutely loved. 10/10. Masterful job of taking the dull Broly character of the past and giving layers to his character without completely changing him. Very hard thing to pull off. It's amazing to me how Broly was the main character throughout the entire movie. Broly led the movie instead of Goku or Vegeta which is something I would've never imagined. The history with the Saiyans was done well. Frieza is as twisted as ever. The jokes were done so well, they were timed perfectly and didn't overtake the story. Animation and visuals were stunning. DBS Broly is the best Dragon Ball movie and it's not even close
"Gohan, let it go. It is not a sin to fight for the right cause. There are those who words alone will not reach. Cell is such a being. I know how you feel Gohan, you are gentle, you do not like to hurt. I know because I too have learned these feelings. But it is because you cherish life that you must protect it. Please drop your restraints. Protect the life I once loved. You have the strength, my scanners sensed it..." -Android 16

tinlunlau
Regular
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue May 11, 2004 2:44 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by tinlunlau » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:32 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yeah some of the reviews are joke, one negative reveiw the person was complaining that the film does nothing but appease fans and I am thinking well no shit!

As a matter of fact, all the negative reviews I found on rottentomatoes have been basically the same. These publications should really send critics that know their shit. This is in no fault of rottentomatoes. They just gather reviews from publications and round out the percentages.
The world is your's.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4941
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:36 pm

Pasting this from my post in the Dub discussion thread.

---

I just got back from seeing the movie! I haven't read the rest of the thread so apologies if I repeat anything. I'm not sure what the spoiler rules are around here so I've put everything in a spoiler tag for now.

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Melkaniator » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:28 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:So... what's this "lack of tension" I keep hearing about?
Broly was a good guy, thus Akira was not going to make the good guys killing him, that was obvious = no tension.

In ToP "U7 could be erased!" Yeah, right.

It's a thing of understanding the predictable limits of DB.

On an unrelated note, unlike many, I don't see Broly's new form as replacing SS4, I actually think Akira is getting ready to introduce SS4 into DBS, though it would most likely get a different name.

Sounds crazy, but for me not so much after having Broly and Gogeta added to canon, I don't think they will be the only 2 to get this treatment.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 3:28 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:46 am

Why the fusion resulted in Gogeta and not Vegetto? Just because it wasn't with the Potara earrings?

User avatar
Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5688
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:54 pm
Location: Nagano
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Cipher » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:58 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote:Why the fusion resulted in Gogeta and not Vegetto? Just because it wasn't with the Potara earrings?
Yep. This is the first time we've ever gotten confirmation within the main, Toriyama-helmed series itself (rather than just extrapolating from Movie 12 and the manga, and later getting the same implication in GT), but fusions produced via the Potara are essentially different "people" from the ones produced by the Fusion Dance, even with the same partners.

User avatar
saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 81
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:39 pm
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by saiyanhajime » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:05 am

This "non-fan" review from Double Toasted is enjoyable...

https://youtu.be/24kzFiVo7WY

Anyone else got a link to any more takes by people on the outside? Has anyone seen anything positive from a non-fan? I'd be surprised, but.... One of the things that shocks me about this guy's comments is that he was digging the narrative a bit and then the fighting starts... Like, the story is in the broad scheme of story-telling, weak. Let's be real here. But the second half is a visual spectacle in it's own right. Like, I can see if people don't dig the art style it would be blah, but? Movies that are just about spectacle do well with the general public all the time. What does the average animation-lover think of DBS Broly? That's what I want to know! I guess there aren't many "average animation lovers" out there lmao. But in a time where Spiderverse is doing so well also, I'd like to think that's changing!

ironfist2020
Banned
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:04 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by ironfist2020 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:02 am

I heard the blue ray aint coming til december. That sucks

User avatar
Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1329
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:33 am
Location: Portugal

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:40 am

ironfist2020 wrote:I heard the blue ray aint coming til december. That sucks
No, that's just a temporary default date when there's no announcement yet.

ironfist2020
Banned
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:04 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by ironfist2020 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:47 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
ironfist2020 wrote:I heard the blue ray aint coming til december. That sucks
No, that's just a temporary default date when there's no announcement yet.
when you think it will be out?

User avatar
MajinMan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1231
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:42 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:55 am

ironfist2020 wrote:I heard the blue ray aint coming til december. That sucks
Nah, that’s just a placeholder. The blu-ray will come out around May/June for Japan, and probably June/July for everywhere else. It took Battle of Gods and Resurrection F around 6 months to come out, so Broly will probably take around the same time.

And while I’m here, I don’t think I’ve given my thoughts on the movie as a whole yet. I’m going to get this part out of the way first, and say that I did not care for the dub. I’m at a point to where I just don’t give a shit about the dub, whether it’s good or bad. It isn’t Dragon Ball to me anymore, in any shape or form. I will say that I still think dub Freeza is easily one of the best, if not THE best, voice and performance in the English dub of this series, including this movie. I really I wish Funimation didn’t screw us sub fans over by not bringing subbed screenings to theaters, but what can you do. Now onto the actual movie review:

I think, without a doubt, this is the best animated DB movie ever. It’s even one of the best animated movies I’ve seen in a long time. The character acting was great throughout, and every fight had a unique style while not being different enough to be jarring. The only time I didn’t think the animation was great was during the CGI Broly vs Gogeta section. THAT actually felt a little jarring.

The music, even though my theater was pretty shit, was fantastic. Easily Sumitomo’s best work on DB. Paragus’s Rage, Broly Begins to Battle, Broly Evolves, and the Kamehameha theme were really, really good.

I kept hearing that the story was bad, but honestly, it was just fine. The stuff with Broly and Paragus was great, Cheelai and Lemo befriending Broly was great, and a lot of the backstory stuff was great. Now it wasn’t perfect, far from it actually. I didn’t care for Minus, I thought it’s terrible, and I still think that after seeing this movie. The first third in general did indeed feel a little rushed, despite how much of the movie it actually is. The final third of the movie being almost all fighting was fine to me. I don’t think it ruined the pacing or anything. Goku visiting Broly at the end was also pretty well done I think.

And finally, the characters. There wasn’t a single character introduced in this movie that wasn’t good (except the new shitty version Bardock). Everyone from Broly to the new Freeza henchmen were great. And speaking of Broly, my god they did it. He’s a great character worthy of being a part of this series. I really hope they do some good stuff with him later. Freeza himself was also at his best, being a petty, but still really evil, douche throughout.

Overall, I had a lot of fun watching this movie and came away feeling really satisfied. New art style and animation is great, good music, great new characters, and a decent enough story make for what I think is the best DB movie ever made so far.

9.5/10
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

60.

Rest in peace.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4941
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:19 am

Cipher wrote:
Paulo Gabriel wrote:Why the fusion resulted in Gogeta and not Vegetto? Just because it wasn't with the Potara earrings?
Yep. This is the first time we've ever gotten confirmation within the main, Toriyama-helmed series itself (rather than just extrapolating from Movie 12 and the manga, and later getting the same implication in GT), but fusions produced via the Potara are essentially different "people" from the ones produced by the Fusion Dance, even with the same partners.
One aspect that I found interesting was the fact that Gogeta used the term "we", and even recalled the name for the other fusion, Vegetto. I haven't seen Fusion Reborn, but I think this is very interesting as that means the fusions aren't new individuals as I thought, it really is just Goku and Vegeta "at the wheel" at the same time, not a new and distinct person!

User avatar
90sDBZ
I Live Here
Posts: 2056
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:34 am
Location: UK

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:21 am

I finally saw the movie today and enjoyed it overall. It did drag a bit around the middle and I found some of the humour to be a bit stupid.

Frieza wanting to wish for more height felt like a step too silly for his character. It was funny in DB when Commander Red wanted it because it was unexpected and there was good buildup to it with his inferiority complex when standing next to Black. With Frieza it felt more like a cheap joke thrown in at the expense of his character. And Bulma wanting to wish to look younger was pretty much just as bad. If the Shadow Dragons ever show up in this canon it will actually be deserved.

And also why would Goku want Broly to call him "Kakarot"? It's a fun little reference to OG Broly, but really doesn't make sense for Goku to want that.

Aside from that the fights and animation where fantastic, the English VAs did an outstanding job, Broly became likeable, and seeing the long awaited return of the great one Gogeta was awesome. Seriously I've played out Gogeta vs Broly matches on Budokai 3 countless times since 2004, so seeing it actually happen in a movie was really special.

And I might be in the minority here but I actually felt emotional in the scene where Bardock and Gine send off Goku/Kakarot. Yes it completely contradicts both the events and characterisation of the Bardock TV Special, but it makes for a moving scene here so I'll forgive it.

While I think some fans have overrated it a bit calling it the best movie in the franchise by far, it's definitely one of the better ones, and I'm glad I finally saw DB on the big screen so a big thanks to Manga UK! :thumbup:

User avatar
Hitiro
I Live Here
Posts: 3433
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Hitiro » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:02 am

Diccolo-420 wrote:I found this article and it honestly touches on nearly every issue I have with this film, I'm wondering what thoughts are on it from you all

https://www.thegamer.com/dragon-ball-su ... -no-sense/
I have a few issues with the article. I'll list them in the order they appear.

30. When Gogeta launched his final attack it seemed as if he was scared and didn't want to be in that situation. We also know he didn't want to fight. So I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be able to teleport him away. Also I have to question the statement about Porunga being stronger than Shenlong. Certainly before Dende became the owner because Kami was weaker than Guru and Moori. But a dragons power is directly proportional to its creator. It would come down to whether Dende had surpassed Moori. Not to mention that Dende also was supposed to be a very gifted dragon scion.

29. People's wants change. It's not like Freeza hasn't had gag like moments before. Like when the Ginyu force appeared. He does seem like a very vain character so I wouldn't put it past him to wish for something like this.

28. The Oracle fish is just that. An Oracle. When it says Beerus would fight a SSJG that's because that event was predetermined. It's not like he gets to choose the events that happen to Beerus.

25. This person doesn't know what he's talking about. Taking into account the two failed fusions we can't say it took 90 mins. It was 60 mins plus showing Vegeta how to do it. I don't think that took an extra 30 mins. Let's also not forget that Goku was not fresh when he fought in SSJB against Broly. Neither was Vegeta. So Freeza should have some leeway with transforming straight into full power. Not to mention Whis also played a part in keeping him at bay.

23. I disagree the prologue has little to do with the story. It sets up Paragus' and Broly's motivations, characters and where they've been for the last 41 years. It was just a nice tidbit to see the other characters fathers and how everything was setup.

22. No character development is subjective. Vegeta has changed a lot over the course of the franchise. To hear him say to Goku that they should work together is proof of that as Vegeta is not one to do that normally.

21. I see no issue with Vegeta using SSJG. Because if he can channel god Ki into his SSJ form to become SSJB then I don't see why he should be excluded from gaining SSJG.

16. I don't see how the story can't have its comedy interwoven with serious elements. Bulma and Freeza are both after the dragon balls for funny reasons but that is not the main part of the story.

15. Not sure if Gohan not being present is an issue.

14. They needed Piccolo to find the issues with the dance because Goku can't be watching Vegeta's movements.

13. As above in 22 Vegeta has changed and has no issues with working with Goku now if the situation calls for it. Not enough to be happy with the fusion dance bit that's understandable. So this point isn't really accurate.

10. I disagree wholly with them thinking Goku and Broly's connection is lessened through this movie. If anything this connection is a lot better than the original film. The film establishes a connection to Goku over the course of the film and the scene with Goku giving both his names as he leaves the planet is the moment their connection is properly solidified.

9. Some people dislike the chanting. Others like it. I'm indifferent. It didn't really ruin the movie for me.

7. I don't see Broly's growth happening in this movie. It was just to establish him as a character. He didn't attain peace with himself as this writer claims. Goku says he'll come by to train Broly so that he may manage his emotions better.

5. I don't see an issue with Whis questioning why Goku wants to become stronger. Goku is an enigma to both Whis and Beerus. Goku is just a character who wants to test his limits and always push past them and that concept is alien to most people. Especially gods.

4. I don't take issue with Broly growing in strength during battle because Saiyans do, do that. And as we've observed he's not a normal Saiyan so why would he be bound by a normal Saiyans growth?

3. Except the Z fighters didn't brutally eliminate their opponents. It was established that they didn't kill them. Unless this person forgot Freeza stating they were holding back and that if they truly wanted to kill them then Gohan would have been enough by himself. The only person to do that was Freeza and he certainly didn't wipe them all out.

2. I'm not sure how it brings the original manga into question because as far as the characters were concerned they were the last Saiyans. How were they supposed to know others still existed?

1. It's a bit of a pointless thing to talk about. Ultra Instinct is supposed to be incredibly hard to obtain. The fact that Goku luckily goes into it in the tournament should be just that. Luck. It's hardly something that should be a point of issue with the story. Much like a few of the other ones I didn't cover like Gogeta going to finish Broly. After all, he was pretty dangerous.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:54 am

KBABZ wrote:
Cipher wrote:
Paulo Gabriel wrote:Why the fusion resulted in Gogeta and not Vegetto? Just because it wasn't with the Potara earrings?
Yep. This is the first time we've ever gotten confirmation within the main, Toriyama-helmed series itself (rather than just extrapolating from Movie 12 and the manga, and later getting the same implication in GT), but fusions produced via the Potara are essentially different "people" from the ones produced by the Fusion Dance, even with the same partners.
One aspect that I found interesting was the fact that Gogeta used the term "we", and even recalled the name for the other fusion, Vegetto. I haven't seen Fusion Reborn, but I think this is very interesting as that means the fusions aren't new individuals as I thought, it really is just Goku and Vegeta "at the wheel" at the same time, not a new and distinct person!
I think that is just in the dub I don't recall Gogeta referring to himself as "we" in the Japanese.

But I do prefer the dub using "we" because of the whole dual voice thing.

User avatar
Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular
Posts: 680
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:15 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:45 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Cipher wrote:
Paulo Gabriel wrote:Why the fusion resulted in Gogeta and not Vegetto? Just because it wasn't with the Potara earrings?
Yep. This is the first time we've ever gotten confirmation within the main, Toriyama-helmed series itself (rather than just extrapolating from Movie 12 and the manga, and later getting the same implication in GT), but fusions produced via the Potara are essentially different "people" from the ones produced by the Fusion Dance, even with the same partners.
One aspect that I found interesting was the fact that Gogeta used the term "we", and even recalled the name for the other fusion, Vegetto. I haven't seen Fusion Reborn, but I think this is very interesting as that means the fusions aren't new individuals as I thought, it really is just Goku and Vegeta "at the wheel" at the same time, not a new and distinct person!
Yeah, it was a pretty clear implication that Gogeta and Vegetto are different aspects of the same (for lack of a better term) being.

User avatar
AvatarReiko
Regular
Posts: 592
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:46 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by AvatarReiko » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:10 pm

Anyone know why Gogeta was so off-model in the final sequence where he fires the kamehameha. The sudden change in art was really jarring and they made him look a luny tunes character

Post Reply