Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Shaddy » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:27 am

This is the first time I've caught Sumi actually using motifs of any sort, Broly actually having a character theme, and it's damn good.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:36 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:I'm gonna admit, I watched a pirated copy of DB Super Broly but my god, I WANT TO WATCH IT ON THE THEATERS NOW! It was such an undescribable masterpiece that I'm going to watch, watch, watch and rewatch again. Just that damn good.
Right?? Absolutely incredible. I need more of this story, I need more of these interactions, and I need more of these amazing fights. That's why I need a retelling(among many other reasons.)

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:33 am

PFM18 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:I'm gonna admit, I watched a pirated copy of DB Super Broly but my god, I WANT TO WATCH IT ON THE THEATERS NOW! It was such an undescribable masterpiece that I'm going to watch, watch, watch and rewatch again. Just that damn good.
Right?? Absolutely incredible. I need more of this story, I need more of these interactions, and I need more of these amazing fights. That's why I need a retelling(among many other reasons.)
Honestly, I really hope they don’t retell the movie. I want it to just stay a movie. We finally have a DB movie that feels like an actual film to me. The old movies just felt like extended episodes and BOG and RF were a step in the right direction until they got retellings and became kinda pointless. If they want to do an extended cut Blu-ray like BOG, I’m all for it. But just let the movie be a movie.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:05 am

In some ways this movie was Sumitomo's best work, with Broly's theme being pretty damn impressive and a lot of excellent battle themes...

In others it's his worst work, because seriously, what were they thinking with the wrestling announcer stuff? It's extremely goofy and completely undermines the idea that the battle is meant to be tense and/or tragic. Like, we're meant to want this battle to stop, for Broly to regain his senses before he gets himself killed, yet the soundtrack going "GO! BROLY! GO! BROLY! GOGETA! GOGETA!" completely undermines that.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:11 am

Vegard Aune wrote:In some ways this movie was Sumitomo's best work, with Broly's theme being pretty damn impressive and a lot of excellent battle themes...

In others it's his worst work, because seriously, what were they thinking with the wrestling announcer stuff? It's extremely goofy and completely undermines the idea that the battle is meant to be tense and/or tragic. Like, we're meant to want this battle to stop, for Broly to regain his senses before he gets himself killed, yet the soundtrack going "GO! BROLY! GO! BROLY! GOGETA! GOGETA!" completely undermines that.
From what I’ve read, it sounds like the cheering in the music was Nagamine’s idea, not Sumitomo. When I first heard about it, it sounded goofy as hell and I wasn’t too thrilled about it. But, after seeing the movie several times, damn if it didn’t grow on me and I actually enjoy it.

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:47 am

Vegard Aune wrote:In some ways this movie was Sumitomo's best work, with Broly's theme being pretty damn impressive and a lot of excellent battle themes...

Naaaah, I love the chanting.

I think everyone pointing out how this movie doesn't seem to know what it wants to be and is at odds with itself tonally is factually correct.

Like, imagine this was your first introduction to DB. It sort of portrays itself as being an entryway into the series in a lot of the ways it sets stuff up, even things like the criticism how Freeza just appears in his final form after being introduced in his first form is dealt with in the scene where Kikono is asking why he doesn't just use his second form for height.

From that perspective, our Heroes on Earth are the villians. Especially Vegeta, who tries to kill Broly very, very early on in the fight. Weird!

But, like, I kinda think that's what makes this whole movie work so well. It's definitely for fans, but it's for all fans, casual or otherwise. Anyone with even a passing interest in DB can come to this movie and enjoy it on some level.

And the music is part of that puzzle... It's appealing on so many levels. If you had the pleasure of seeing a screening with an excitable audience (I had people erupting into cheers like it was a local team playing in a sports bar), I think it would be nigh impossible to not to "get" why the chanting is perfect.

The movie doesn't really know what it wants to be - absolutely. But that's kind of the point I think? It's kinda everything - it's the accumulation of 30 years and a world of cultures appreciating it on infinite different levels all poured into one vibrant and absurd mess and it's perfect.

I get why people wouldn't like the chanting - it IS cheesy and dumb, but I cannot stop listening to it. Love it.

TheNingen
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheNingen » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:18 am

I'm one of the people who when I first heard the chanting, thought it was one of *the* stupidest decisions ever. But hearing it in theatres, it honestly wasn't that intrusive during the moments. It's actually pretty subtle if you're not listening for it. That being said, I've kind of grown accustomed to it and learned to enjoy it for what it is. The chanting kind of hypes me up. Well, only for Gogeta vs Broly anyway. I still don't care for the other moments of chanting.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:18 pm

DB Super Broly was actually the first Broly movie that I honestly liked, the DBZ Broly flicks were watchable but nothing really that suck out compared to this masterpiece of animation and music. Plus, Broly no longer being always pissed off gives him another perspective we've never seen before and course, the new Broly body also looks a lot nicer.

I frankly never really liked the Dragon Ball Super series but god, do I love this Super movie! :) It'd be great if FUNimation did a Collector's Edition of DB Super Broly on Blu-ray with the Original Soundtrack CD but I doubt it.

On "Dragon Ball Super: Broly - The Movie, Part 2" I hope that Freeza gets his wish granted.

FFJamie94

Post by FFJamie94 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:59 pm

So, I went to see it a couple of weeks ago.
And yeah, it was probably the best "Dragon Ball" Movie I've seen.
So here's my rundown.

The flashback sequence, I like this a lot. I feel a bit bitter that it wiped "Father of Goku" out of the timeline... but meh. It also adapted what I consider the worst piece of Dragon Ball Media and actually made it good. It expanded upon it and gave us a reason for the retcon, instead of retconing the origin for the sake of it.

The actually meat of the film, I felt a lot of jokes fell flat for me. I didn't find the 5 years/cm jokes to be that funny and instead made the whole situation seem less threatening.

Broly actually being a Character was probably the best thing in the film. I actually liked the more time spent on him.

The fight scene was a Dragon Ball fight scene. Honestly, while the animation was impressive and had some nice sets, I found it when on for way too long. However I did like how the fight ended and overall, was pretty fun and if a tad overstretched.

The ending set-up the future of Dragon Ball rather nicely, but I thought Goku was an idiot for saying to a guy who can't control his strength "Hey, I want to fight you again" putting an entire Planet in danger.

I don't want to see this be retold in the next "Season" of Super. I think it fits as an interlude of sorts to tease the next chapter in this story.
But yeah, it was an enjoyable film overall.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:25 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Honestly, I really hope they don’t retell the movie. I want it to just stay a movie. We finally have a DB movie that feels like an actual film to me. The old movies just felt like extended episodes and BOG and RF were a step in the right direction until they got retellings and became kinda pointless. If they want to do an extended cut Blu-ray like BOG, I’m all for it. But just let the movie be a movie.
I just feel like restricting this story to just 100 minutes caused a slew of problems that could be reconciled by retelling it in the form of an arc. Also, the general way the nature by which the movie was produced meant it is hard for this movie to fit into the anime continuity and that's a problem for me.(Or either continuity for that matter, but the manga doesn't seem to ever care about that sort of thing.)

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:35 pm

FFJamie94 wrote:Broly actually being a Character was probably the best thing in the film. I actually liked the more time spent on him.
Broly was always a character. Now if the past Broly wasn't a character that people liked, that's a different story.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:05 am

Miracles wrote:
FFJamie94 wrote:Broly actually being a Character was probably the best thing in the film. I actually liked the more time spent on him.
Broly was always a character. Now if the past Broly wasn't a character that people liked, that's a different story.
A big, Hulk-like, Saiyan monster who hated Goku because he cried a lot in a nursery & because some douchey older Saiyans made fun of him, which he shouldn't remember BTW, is a character? He had potential, but if you're calling a half-baked idiot that's plot point is so forced & underdeveloped that it both makes no sense & is extremely petty just to stretch out the movie to its full around 50-minute runtime & fill time till the inevitable fight with Goku & crew, a character, then I don't know what to say.
PFM18 wrote:I just feel like restricting this story to just 100 minutes caused a slew of problems that could be reconciled by retelling it in the form of an arc. Also, the general way the nature by which the movie was produced meant it is hard for this movie to fit into the anime continuity and that's a problem for me.(Or either continuity for that matter, but the manga doesn't seem to ever care about that sort of thing.)
Neither the manga, nor the anime, really care about each other when it comes to adapting the storylines Toriyama writes out for them. Now, they may take influence from each other here & there, but both exist to do exactly the same thing, though the manga was initially only commissioned as promo material for the anime, as most manga based on an anime are.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:30 am

Scsigs wrote:Neither the manga, nor the anime, really care about each other when it comes to adapting the storylines Toriyama writes out for them.
I didn't say they did nor did I imply they did?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:48 am

PFM18 wrote:
Scsigs wrote:Neither the manga, nor the anime, really care about each other when it comes to adapting the storylines Toriyama writes out for them.
You were talking about them not caring about continuity between each other. If you weren't implying that, what were you implying then?

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:04 am

Scsigs wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
You were talking about them not caring about continuity between each other. If you weren't implying that, what were you implying then?
No, I wasn't talking about them keeping continuity with each other at all. Obviously, the manga and anime don't give a shit about each other.

The manga doesn't care if the movie they are following keeps continuity with the manga. The RoF movie doesn't fit with the manga, but they didn't adapt it into the manga anyway. The Broly movie doesn't keep continuity with the manga, but they didn't adapt that in the manga either. They don't care if the story they are following, doesn't actually align continuity wise with itself.

The anime, adapted the RoF movie unlike the manga, and we've yet to see if they adapt the Broly movie. So it seems to care more about keeping continuity than the manga, and I hope they adapt the manga so that they can keep continuity with the anime, because it otherwise doesn't fit.

Green_Goblin
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Green_Goblin » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:27 am

The only thing I hope from this movie is not an anime adaptation (we had seen how Super 1.0 had handled those) but a FULL UNCUT VERSION with all the scenes that were left out during the editing process.

I'm mostly interested in seeing scenes like Frieza learns about toddler Vegeta IV's existence, and taking him away with him after seeing how high his potential/battle power is for a creature his age, giving the toddler the threat that his old man's life depends on his loyalty to the tyrant. Bardock's Crew talk with him about going to Planet Kanassa, conquering it with much surprise by Dodoria and Zarbon, then they're directly ordered by King Vegeta to go to conquer Planet Meat ("consider this a bonus, chums, you were asked to this assaingment by Frieza himself, he's most pleased with your last work"), then after conquering it (perhaps showing us the Meatians' fighting abillities) facing Dodoria and his 4 goons over there (hopefully they'll finally recieve names; with Dodoria telling them: "U take on that one with the Scouter, X take on the girl, Y kill the fat one, Z that tall one is all yours - I'm just here if things will get out of hand. Direct order by the great lord Frieza."), Bardock lands there in a singular pod to assist his crew then learns of what had happened and proceeds to killing the 4 Dodoria soldiers who were still in the vicinity in return, with Dodoria just fires a random mouth blast from afar towards the area where Bardock was at and believing he killed him before scraming with his small spacecraft back to Frieza, then watching the battle injured Bardock returns to Planet Vegeta to warn the others and his fight against Frieza's soldiers stationed on there (now it's within Planet Vegeta's atmosphere) before the final blow by Frieza. I also want to see the canon version of King Vegeta's end, IMHO his character needs to do something (like planning an attack over Frieza with his elites like in DBZ) before greeting his end.

Also, a scene that will be pleasing to most fans and me would be that of Gohan, Videl and Pan in some important academic convention while Frieza and Broly's ki are near/entering the Earth, stressing him about the upcomings but is aware of his dad and Vegeta over there, which calms him down temporarily as they can fend the tyrant and Broly (initial base form) and protect the Earth for a long while at the very minimum.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:34 am

Scsigs wrote:
Miracles wrote:
A big, Hulk-like, Saiyan monster who hated Goku because he cried a lot in a nursery & because some douchey older Saiyans made fun of him, which he shouldn't remember BTW, is a character? He had potential, but if you're calling a half-baked idiot that's plot point is so forced & underdeveloped that it both makes no sense & is extremely petty just to stretch out the movie to its full around 50-minute runtime & fill time till the inevitable fight with Goku & crew, a character, then I don't know what to say.
I mean, you just described his character traits. So he is a character. Now I doubt many would claim that he was a good character, but that's entirely separate from whether he was a character in the first place.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:52 am

Well they didn't have any of the chanting in the final scuff after the Dragon was summoned. Same for the Goku fight the chanting stopped after the fight was about to get serious.

They used it in places I think it was fine.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:57 am

Yeah, I thought the chanting was a bit dubious when the soundtrack came out, but it fits perfectly in the movie and I love it now.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:07 pm

Vegard Aune wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Miracles wrote: Broly was always a character. Now if the past Broly wasn't a character that people liked, that's a different story.
I mean, you just described his character traits. So he is a character. Now I doubt many would claim that he was a good character, but that's entirely separate from whether he was a character in the first place.
I was saying that he was more of a plot point & just another villain to fight than an actual character. To bring in another example of what I mean, Magetta's not really a character either. He was just an opponent for Vegeta to fight. Does the fact that he had an emotional outburst once when Vegeta called him a name make him a character? I don't really think so. Neither have character development or any real depth, so they're not really characters. I mean, unless you're willing to accept a few base traits made to fool the audience into thinking they're characters.