Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by FlpShimizu » Thu May 07, 2020 9:06 am

I think an anime adaptation of this arc could elevate it and maybe change people's minds. Toyotaro is hated so much that even if he does something good some people will refuse to see it, so maybe the anime can help give Moro a chance :lol:
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu May 07, 2020 9:09 am

FlpShimizu wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:06 am I think an anime adaptation of this arc could elevate it and maybe change people's minds. Toyotaro is hated so much that even if he does something good some people will refuse to see it, so maybe the anime can help give Moro a chance :lol:
Nah, seen enough of his arc to know it's garbage. He is a gloried fan mangaka (who's fan manga was equally as shit apparently no surprises there). I said if he ever affects the greater franchise I will stop following it.

FlpShimizu
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by FlpShimizu » Thu May 07, 2020 9:18 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:09 am
FlpShimizu wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:06 am I think an anime adaptation of this arc could elevate it and maybe change people's minds. Toyotaro is hated so much that even if he does something good some people will refuse to see it, so maybe the anime can help give Moro a chance :lol:
Nah, seen enough of his arc to know it's garbage. He is a gloried fan mangaka (who's fan manga was equally as shit apparently no surprises there). I said if he ever affects the greater franchise I will stop following it.
Don't give up on Dragon Ball so easily! I know Toyo isn't and probably never will be nearly as good as Toriyama, but we gotta keep an open mind. I said that cause he probably will start having more and more influence in the series from now on, he even designed some characters already. We don't even know how much Toriyama is involved with the Moro arc, maybe it has already begun.
"I'm never fighting a gag manga character again!"

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu May 07, 2020 9:22 am

FlpShimizu wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:18 amI know Toyo isn't and probably never will be nearly as good as Toriyama, but we gotta keep an open mind.
As much as I love Toriyama's original work, he's become a corporate yes man now, so Toyotaro taking over completely will be nothing but good news for the franchise. If the Moro arc is anything to go by, DB will be in very safe and capable hands.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu May 07, 2020 1:50 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:22 am
FlpShimizu wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:18 amI know Toyo isn't and probably never will be nearly as good as Toriyama, but we gotta keep an open mind.
As much as I love Toriyama's original work, he's become a corporate yes man now, so Toyotaro taking over completely will be nothing but good news for the franchise. If the Moro arc is anything to go by, DB will be in very safe and capable hands.
Toyotaro would be Shueisha’s/DB Room’s puppet without Toriyama. He already kind of is.

Toriyama is the kind of guy who would approve the wildest ideas. In fact if it was for Shueisha only we wouldn’t have gotten Moro but something a lot more fanservicey, in my opinion.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu May 07, 2020 1:54 pm

emperior wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 1:50 pmToriyama is the kind of guy who would approve the wildest ideas. In fact if it was for Shueisha only we wouldn’t have gotten Moro but something a lot more fanservicey, in my opinion.
You're probably not wrong, but in terms of originality, I think Toyotaro is the most likely to take that road, with some fan service along the way.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu May 07, 2020 3:49 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:58 am
WittyUsername wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 12:08 am I myself certainly have no interest in seeing the current manga arc in animated form. In fact, I’d actually prefer that it doesn’t get animated. If we’re going to get more animated Dragon Ball content, I’d rather they just stick with movies.
There is nothing unique about this arc 100% better left un animated, retread after another ffs he gave us ResF 2.0.

Thank god we never got to see his Broly... just thinking how awful that would've been...yikes.
I do at least like how the manga actually specified what Jiren intended to use the Super Dragon Balls for, and that it made a token effort to have him seem heroic in his initial appearance, but yeah, generally speaking, Toyotaro is a pretty bare bones kind of writer. I don’t know why anyone would ever think that his manga is more important than the anime, when that clearly isn’t the case. The manga was originally made specifically to promote the anime, and the current arc seems to basically just exist in order to pass the time until we get some more animated content.
Last edited by WittyUsername on Thu May 07, 2020 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu May 07, 2020 3:54 pm

See, I just can’t agree with that. I find the current manga arc to be so boring that I stopped keeping up with it sometime last year. Toyotaro’s writing just doesn’t have any personality to it, in my opinion. His writing doesn’t have the quirkiness that you associate with Toriyama, nor does it ever really aim for anything complex or poetic like what Toei occasionally tries to do.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu May 07, 2020 4:09 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 3:54 pm
See, I just can’t agree with that. I find the current manga arc to be so boring that I stopped keeping up with it sometime last year. Toyotaro’s writing just doesn’t have any personality to it, in my opinion. His writing doesn’t have the quirkiness that you associate with Toriyama, nor does it ever really aim for anything complex or poetic like what Toei occasionally tries to do.
Second this. Toyotaro's art is boring as hell, along with too many panels per page, and his writing is just bland.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri May 08, 2020 1:04 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:09 pm

Second this. Toyotaro's art is boring as hell, along with too many panels per page, and his writing is just bland.
I don't think hell would be a boring place :P Who'd you rather do the manga?

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Sat May 09, 2020 4:13 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:09 am
Considering how many have made the comparison of story concepts between Toyotaro’s AF doujin and the Future Trunks stuff, it can be argued that he already has made an impact. He obviously has Toriyama’s ear.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat May 09, 2020 3:54 pm

This is the Broly movie thread people. Not the Toyotaro manga discussion.

Better keep it pushing.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon May 11, 2020 6:15 am

Yeah, I feel like I can trust Toei slightly more, Toei can implement things well, like with UI how they changed the design and added "Omen" was almost perfect, on top of the visual choices of blue shirt & no shirt. But then how they implemented Kale's & NuBroly's green form was handled very poorly.

But ultimately it is Toriyama or nothing for me even taking his low points (Minus, BoG, RF, UI design etc) his track record is still the best.

XanatosVanBadass
Banned

Post by XanatosVanBadass » Mon May 11, 2020 2:39 pm

It’s a sad truth that Toei’s improvements are the exception and not the rule. At least as far as it goes with the story, they did help to improve some dramatic moments via the animation.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Mon May 11, 2020 4:11 pm

Now the post movie hype has died, what is everyone's opinions on Broly:BR?

It sucks that it wasn't Toriyama's original intention to bring Broly into the canon but rather a suggestion by one of his editors don't get me wrong though I'm happy that Broly is now a real thing in the mainline story of DB however I'm disappointed that Toriyama took dropped an important aspect of him (His mean and cruel psycho type attitude that he had in the orignal 'Z' films) when Koyama's Broly would transform into LSS he'd become cocky and psychotic because he was super confident in his strength and power whereas Broly:BR is a carbon copy of Gohan

I wish New Broly (Broly:BR) was a mean and cruel Saiyan like how they were portrayed in 'Z' in flashbacks and the Bardock special then further down the line as Super would progress with future sagas he'd become kinder while viewing both Goku & Vegeta as rivals and wanting to train to become 10x stronger and better than them

I really like his Super Saiyan form being an evolution/upgrade of his Humanoid Oozaru (AKA Ikari) technique rather than the traditional SS it makes Super Saiyan seem powerful again especially when the story pins him up against Super Saiyan Blue Goku & Vegeta Image

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 11, 2020 7:58 pm

My opinion is that Broli: Super is husband material and I want to destroy my holes.

Okay, a different serious answer: he's a fun breath of fresh air and contrasts with Gokuu and Vegeta well. There's a lot of room for character development and he'd be wasted on just making only more of the same kind of films like Movie #20.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu May 14, 2020 8:59 pm

I never really had any hype for this movie but all this time I don’t really think it was all that great. Animation itself was a joy to watch but the story and characters did nothing for me.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu May 14, 2020 11:09 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:59 pmAnimation itself was a joy to watch but the story and characters did nothing for me.
Same here. I really wish this production was used on something original instead. That's not to say the story was bad, it's just been done before. Despite its flaws, the original Broly movie still holds up pretty well, so there was no need to remake it. Although it fixed some issues, it brought new ones along with it.

Mad Swami
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Mad Swami » Thu May 14, 2020 11:14 pm

I think the Broly movie is more amazing for what sets up in the sense I doubt this will be the last Dragonball movie to use the gorgeous animation. I think it's just a toe tip and that its more the future we should look out for

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri May 15, 2020 12:30 am

Noitsnothim wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:11 pm Now the post movie hype has died, what is everyone's opinions on Broly:BR?

It sucks that it wasn't Toriyama's original intention to bring Broly into the canon but rather a suggestion by one of his editors[/img]
Dude, Toriyama has ALWAYS taken suggestions from his editors.