Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by superfan2024 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:21 pm

I kind of wish the "S-Cells" thing Toriyama talked about in a interview a while ago would've been used for Broly. Imagine if the scenario was that Broly was some sort of genetically altered or mutated Saiyan by King Vegeta's scientists, who tried to tinker with his S-Cells as part of an experiment for Planet Vegeta's elite army or something. The experiment went wrong and Broly became too power/out of control, which led to King Vegeta deserting him to a far off planet. This probably sounds too out of the left field or even terrible, but I wish there was something that explained how Broly went from practically nothing to SSB level of strength in a span of a few minutes other than that Oozaru thing.

I do like the little connections between Goku and Broly, with both being shipped away from Planet Vegeta, the former for selfless reasons, and the latter for selfish reasons. For someone as powerful as Broly, not to mention him being a Saiyan, I wonder why Goku just let him go off. Given how battle-hungry Goku can be, even going to the Zenos just to fight strong people in a tournament, I'm surprised he hasn't tried to search for Broly yet so far in the manga. Maybe one arc wasn't enough, who knows. I just hope whenever Broly does return, it isn't in some cliche way and I hope he can show off some new abilities instead of just typical screaming and ki blasts.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:44 pm

A little bit out of place, but a couple years passed, isn't there any news on the anime coming back and continuing from Broly?

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:39 pm

cuartas wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:44 pm A little bit out of place, but a couple years passed, isn't there any news on the anime coming back and continuing from Broly?
Nope, no news. This kind of thing tends to get discussed in the announcement and discussion thread, so you can read through the last few months of activity in that thread if you're interested in seeing how things have (not) developed. (The last 20 pages or so.)
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri May 21, 2021 11:53 pm

I wish we'd get news. This waiting is getting to me.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat May 29, 2021 10:42 am

Shouldn’t both these threads be locked until there is actual discussion to be had?

Every time I see new posts, I think there are news and always the same complaints of lacking content.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 31, 2021 1:31 pm

This is a thread to discuss the 2018 theatrical film. You may, of course, at any time, continue to discuss that film here.

If you have any bits of conversation that are not directly related to the content or production of this 2018 film, please use another, more-appropriate thread (and/or feel free to create one if one does not already exist).

Additional unrelated posts may be removed going forward.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:15 pm

Rewatching all the latest Dragonball movies. This one is my favorite! Gorgeous animation and shots in this movie. Does anyone think there was some stuff cut out with Bardock? Ah If there were only a director's cut like the Snyder cut of this haha.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:44 pm

A lot from first twenty five minutes of the movie was probably cut out. Rushing so we could get to the fight scenes as soon as possible. When it should've been the other way around.

I always felt it odd the transition once Freeza leaves the planet and then suddenly they cut to King Vegeta going to see his son. It feels like there is something in the middle.

From the moment Bardock arrives on the planet until its destruction, there is a one-month timeskip so obviously things happened in between that. Oh well, it was a great opportunity to expand on Saiyan culture/lore and etc...
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:41 pm

Man, this would be so much better than the original. Too bad they decided for a mix of fanserviced and introduced Gogeta.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:07 am

Noah wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:41 pm Man, this would be so much better than the original. Too bad they decided for a mix of fanserviced and introduced Gogeta.
While UI Goku vs Broly would be cool, I think it was best that UI was not used in the movie. It would have undercut a lot of impact from the Moro arc, which involved Goku's first steps into improving his UI ability.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:40 pm

PurestEvil wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:07 amWhile UI Goku vs Broly would be cool, I think it was best that UI was not used in the movie. It would have undercut a lot of impact from the Moro arc, which involved Goku's first steps into improving his UI ability.
It wouldn't have undercut it, the (anime) movie and the manga are two different texts.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:49 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:40 pm
PurestEvil wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:07 amWhile UI Goku vs Broly would be cool, I think it was best that UI was not used in the movie. It would have undercut a lot of impact from the Moro arc, which involved Goku's first steps into improving his UI ability.
It wouldn't have undercut it, the (anime) movie and the manga are two different texts.
The manga acknowledges the Broly movie happened, though.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:29 am

In hindsight, it is odd that Ultra Instinct wasn't used outside of that debateable cameo between Goku's God and Blue transformations, considering what a marketing juggernaut it is. Speaking of that, we also had Vegeta's 'Super Saiyan Green' fakeout. Now, I know that it was a mere aesthetic fancy from the animators wanting to try something different with the transformation scenes visually, but I think it had a meaning of its own. King Vegeta's scientists from the prologue speculate that Broly may be the Legendary Super Saiyan, but the topic doesn't come up again until Vegeta first busts out Super Saiyan against Broly. The whole concept of a green-tinted 'Legendary Super Saiyan' form beyond the plain old golden one was a Toei invention, but I think the creators of this movie were trying to reassert that the normal Super Saiyan we all know is the Legend, and always has been. At first it looks like Vegeta may be busting out some new awesome jade form, but it turns out to be just the Super Saiyan form we all know... but while we all may take it for granted now, to Broly and Paragus, it's a miracle in the flesh that they've never seen before. Paragus even says it's like the Legend.

Whatever the case may be, both Toei's writers and Toriyama are guilty of overcomplicating the Super Saiyan myth, first with OG Broly, second with Golden Oozaru from GT, and finally with the separate-yet-also-the-same-guy (?) Super Saiyan God Yamoshi legend being thrown into the mix. It reduces Goku's transformation against Freeza into some insignificant anomaly, when no one had any doubt as to what it was. What complicates things further is that Toriyama never intended to give Super Broly a brick shithouse Legendary form, that was another Toei affectation added in for fanservice (you can kinda tell since his Full Power transformation gets little fanfare and accomplishes nothing against Super Saiyan Blue Gogeta, so it could be removed without issue). His regular Super Saiyan form designed by Toriyama is yellow-haired like all the others.

nhienphan2808
Beyond Newbie

Post by nhienphan2808 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:17 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:29 am In hindsight, it is odd that Ultra Instinct wasn't used outside of that debateable cameo between Goku's God and Blue transformations, considering what a marketing juggernaut it is. Speaking of that, we also had Vegeta's 'Super Saiyan Green' fakeout. Now, I know that it was a mere aesthetic fancy from the animators wanting to try something different with the transformation scenes visually, but I think it had a meaning of its own. King Vegeta's scientists from the prologue speculate that Broly may be the Legendary Super Saiyan, but the topic doesn't come up again until Vegeta first busts out Super Saiyan against Broly. The whole concept of a green-tinted 'Legendary Super Saiyan' form beyond the plain old golden one was a Toei invention, but I think the creators of this movie were trying to reassert that the normal Super Saiyan we all know is the Legend, and always has been. At first it looks like Vegeta may be busting out some new awesome jade form, but it turns out to be just the Super Saiyan form we all know... but while we all may take it for granted now, to Broly and Paragus, it's a miracle in the flesh that they've never seen before. Paragus even says it's like the Legend.

Whatever the case may be, both Toei's writers and Toriyama are guilty of overcomplicating the Super Saiyan myth, first with OG Broly, second with Golden Oozaru from GT, and finally with the separate-yet-also-the-same-guy (?) Super Saiyan God Yamoshi legend being thrown into the mix. It reduces Goku's transformation against Freeza into some insignificant anomaly, when no one had any doubt as to what it was. What complicates things further is that Toriyama never intended to give Super Broly a brick shithouse Legendary form, that was another Toei affectation added in for fanservice (you can kinda tell since his Full Power transformation gets little fanfare and accomplishes nothing against Super Saiyan Blue Gogeta, so it could be removed without issue). His regular Super Saiyan form designed by Toriyama is yellow-haired like all the others.
I think that's just how legends work. Many versions and variations of it.It works in story telling, that Vegeta or Raditz had been unreliable source of info on it the entire series. It's only now that we got a 'canon" one in SSG and Yamoshi.
ShadowWolf87 wrote:Freeza beat Goku, beat Vegeta, and destroyed the Earth. Even if no one else knows it, who does? Goku.
Who gets told it's his fault for being so careless? Goku.
Who has to live with that similar to how he wanted to make Freeza live with the fact he'd been beaten by what he considered trash, and have to live with that shame? Goku.
Freeza got the perfect revenge.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:04 pm

Just thought I'd give this a mention but Dragon Ball Super: Broly is now on Disney+ in Taiwan.
The world is your's.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:32 am

tinlunlau wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:04 pm Just thought I'd give this a mention but Dragon Ball Super: Broly is now on Disney+ in Taiwan.
How the hell did Disney get permission to stream Broly in Taiwan?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:06 am

PurestEvil wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:32 am
tinlunlau wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:04 pm Just thought I'd give this a mention but Dragon Ball Super: Broly is now on Disney+ in Taiwan.
How the hell did Disney get permission to stream Broly in Taiwan?
They own Fox, which is part of the film's production committee.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter