Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

perucho1990
I Live Here

Re: Official "DB (Super) 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:28 pm

Does anyone believe that Kale is related to Yamoshi(if that is really the saiyan from the trailer)? Both have green ki :think:

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:54 pm

I don't usually share plot theories around here, but I'll give this new movie a go.

[spoiler]So, this has something to do with Yamoshi (obviously) judging by all that new info we got from Toriyama a few months ago. We also know that this will be set right after the Universe Survival arc, so whatever happens in the next episode of Super will have some sort of impact on the plot for this next film. What I say could be completely thrown out the window when this next episode comes out.

I haven't read any of the spoilers from Super, so everything I say here is completely made up. I'm behind the whole 'One Universe' theory. That Goku, or whoever, uses the Super Dragon Balls to revive all the erased inhabitants of the defeated Universes from the tournament and brings them all over to Universe 7. This makes sense because Shin (the Supreme Kai/Kaioshin) reveals earlier on in the arc that there aren't that many planets with species on them. I think he said there were like 22 populated planets total or something. Bringing all those planets over to Universe 7 means that Planet Sadala will be there. So we'll (finally) get that Planet Sadala adventure that has been teased since the Champa arc. That will be the "adventure" that the new teaser was talking about.

Now, what does Yamoshi have to do with all of this? So we know that he's some kind of Saiyan God who used to be a Saiyan with a righteous heart and fought against the evil Saiyans alongside his comrades. When he became a spirit, he searched for six other Saiyans with righteous hearts, which eventually lead to the events we know in Battle of Gods. Goku and co performed the ritual and Yamoshi granted Goku the power of Super Saiyan God. Why did Yamoshi grant Goku that power though?...

To defeat Beerus, the person responsible for the destruction of Planet Vegeta and the Saiyans. Yamoshi must have had some kind of goal to start from scratch with the Saiyans, to become a race with fighters that have righteous hearts. So in Battle of Gods, Yamoshi wanted Goku to finish Beerus as revenge for what he did to the Saiyans. Roaming around the universe as a spirit for such a long time must have built so much anger within him, knowing the person that was responsible for the destruction his kind.

Now, Universe 6's Planet Sadala, a planet with mostly pure hearted Saiyans, exists in Universe 7. I think that Yamoshi will take advantage of this and try to manipulate the Saiyans of Sadala to defeat Beerus. Vegeta will find out that Beerus was responsible for everything and will probably be pissed off about it, I couldn't even tell you what he would do. Goku would be against this whole thing, since Beerus is now and ally and he wants to fight him for himself one day. Not to mention, Yamoshi sounds like a formidable foe so he would definitely want to fight him.

So the whole thing will be a battle against Yamoshi and the manipulated Saiyans of Planet Sadala. We would see Beerus in some real action for the first time in a long time. We would also see the Universe 6 fighters in on the action. Anything could happen.[/spoiler]
Also, if you've read whatever Super spoilers there are out there, please don't spoil anything for me in your replies. Everything I've just said is based on what I've seen in Super so far, Toriyama's comments and the recent teaser trailer for the new movie. So if what I've said contradicts the spoilers, don't let me know. :lol:

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:01 pm

So it seems this movie is releasing the same holiday weekend as Tori's One Piece Film Z movie back in 2012.

Looks to take advantage of the Christmas and New Year's holidays to take in the money. Smart, it worked great for Film Z before.

Morbidden

Post by Morbidden » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:04 pm

Alrighty then. *Takes a breath*

The antagonist / Goku's opponent is not going to be Yamoshi. Yamoshi was just a normal Super Saiyan so it can't be him.

The only person who I can see this new character being is the Progenitor of Saiyan Race. A very first Saiyan who is probably some kind of deity who lived millions of years before Beerus was even born. (That is why he or Whis probably wouldn't know about him)

Since this movie is about the Saiyan origins it would be only fitting for the person Goku is fighting the be progenitor of the whole race. Him being a divine being could explain Saiyan's insane physiology. It would be an opportunity to show how strong the purest Saiyan looks like. I can already see the battle:

Goku and the Progenitor both begin battles in base form. Then they ramp up to Super Saiyans and so on. Goku then goes SSG and the Progenitor wouldn't recognize it, or SSB.

Instead, the Progenitor would go down the Super Saiyan 4 path. And no, I don't mean the GT SSJ4 path, but Toriyama one. It would produce the incredible potential for...MARKETING if the Progenitor of the Saiyans would have a completely different...''tech tree''. Going all the way to have Super Saiyan forms from 1 to 5+ or even more. Even surpassing SSB and Ultra Instinct in the later stages.

This would show Goku that there is a different path to gain more strength than the God Ki we were introduced to. The Progenitor would also tell Goku that he is disappointed for Goku slacking off and just mixing God Ki with his Super Cell Ki transformation rather than try to further them like he has done.

It would make it pretty hilarious movie if the guy just keeps transforming like a parody character. ''Saiyan's have no limits after all.''

I fully expect to see Super Saiyan 8 in this movie.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:52 pm

Didn't Vegeta say that Kale's Berserker form was the Super Saiyan's true form? I got the impression that that meant it was older. So it would make sense if the original Super Saiyan was a Berserker.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:41 pm

Here's hoping we don't have to wait for a dub version before it comes to other theaters. I think Super has made people more open to the Japanese version and I don't want to wait to see this.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:42 pm

Is this real or not?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

SingleFringe&Sparks

Re: New movie announced for December 2018!

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:52 pm

precita wrote:I just hope this doesn't contradict the established lore.Toriyama seems to be changing things for the sake of it lately.
Agreed, if anything I hope the tone is also similar to the First Broly movie because it felt closest in theme to this movie where it was something about emphasizing the old lore and culture in an ominous way. (I'd say Bardock: Father of Goku, but Toriyama says its not in his writing style despite how good it was). What I don't want is for them to half-ass it simply because Toriyama scribbles something down and they want to be faithful to the minimal he does. What I don't want is Episode of Bardock where things are more superficial than they actually expand the lore. Then there is the risk of things not making any sense or having any real story to it, which Minus failed in.

If he also erases the fact the Saiyans were spartan-like pirates and the Tuffles as he did for U6, I'm really not going to accept this anymore.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:03 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Is this real or not?

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
https://mobile.twitter.com/EmperorBigD/ ... 0730353664
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:03 pm

Morbidden wrote:Alrighty then. *Takes a breath* The only person who I can see this new character being is the Progenitor of Saiyan Race. A very first Saiyan who is probably some kind of deity who lived millions of years before Beerus was even born. (That is why he or Whis probably wouldn't know about him).
From that I would want an SS4 expy to be the purest Saiyan form. Not a transformation but if they designed the villain's base form like it, to reference it but not technically use it. It seems like the perfect way to tie it in but not divert Super's timeline. Like they did with Kale's berserker.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:07 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I'll take anything Geekdom immediately calls fake with a grain of salt.

Lest we not forget the Frieza ToP leaks fiasco and Geekdom's vehement denial they could be real.

Either way, the art kinda matches up with the silhouette having something sticking out its left shoulder (hard to see though because it's a faraway shot) in the trailer.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:11 pm

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
We don't know yet, but the image quality and Tumblr account that claims to have "found" it are questionable to say the least. Probably fake, but I'll admit that it's a pretty convincing one for sure.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:27 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:I thought the fan base dropped numbering movies ever since Battle of Gods. Addressing the first film of Super as Movie 1 would be just confusing regarding Dead Zone is already addressed as it.

I think for the best is still addressing upcoming movies by their abbreviated titles (BoG, RoF...)
I'm not into abbreviations, I've got used to refer to the movies as "Movie 1", "Movie 2" and etc. There will be a proper context when I'm talking about Movie 1 of Dragon Ball Super.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

kn83
Banned

Post by kn83 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Dragon Wukong wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Lest we not forget the Frieza ToP leaks fiasco and Geekdom's vehement denial they could be real.

Either way, the art kinda matches up with the silhouette having something sticking out its left shoulder (hard to see though because it's a faraway shot) in the trailer.
He's usually right about these things. Remember when people thought this was real?:
https://pre00.deviantart.net/60db/th/pr ... 8g7c7y.jpg

Though to be fair, they look better than the ones we got lol.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:38 pm

Marlowe89 wrote:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
We don't know yet, but the image quality and Tumblr account that claims to have "found" it are questionable to say the least. Probably fake, but I'll admit that it's a pretty convincing one for sure.
kn83 wrote:
Dragon Wukong wrote:

He's usually right about these things. Remember when people thought this was real?:

You dont need a confirmation to know its fake. Look at the armor. The image is missing the green plate in the center that the guy had in the teaser.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Dragon Wukong
Regular

Post by Dragon Wukong » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:48 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: You dont need a confirmation to know its fake. Look at the armor. The image is missing the green plate in the center that the guy had in the teaser.
Rewatching the trailer, I don't really see this "green plate" inconsistency. The art looks pretty faithful to what little we see of the armor, besides the upper line in the armor being slightly thicker I suppose.
kn83 wrote:He's usually right about these things. Remember when people thought this was real?:

Ahh c'mon. I don't see how anyone could've thought those GoDs were real. The Yamoshi pic actually kinda looks like how Toriyama shades/colors his art. Though I suppose the hands look more like Shintani.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:53 pm

Well real or not.

If Yamoshi is really that saiyan from the trailer, then IMO they should also have his comrades appear in the movie too(there was 5 comrades according to this Toriyama interview).

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations/ ... pecial-qa/

You can have them fight Gohan,Goten, Trunks, Cabba, the Saiyan Girls.

Nevaeh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nevaeh » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:02 pm

Goku looks like he's in his early 20's. I could buy him being a grandpa in Super and in EoZ. Here not so much :lol:

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:06 pm