Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: New movie announced for December 2018!

Post by Meshack » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:15 am

Asura wrote:
superfan2024 wrote:- "The key word(s): "The strongest warrior race in the universe, the Saiyans". Finally, a chance for Saiyans to get the limelight!"
Is this actually a real quote? Was it delivered sarcastically or meant in full seriousness?

Anyway, if this movie features a completely new cast of characters that have no connection at all to Goku and co. I'll be sorely disappointed. If it's a film that features both U7 and U6 Saiyans on some kind of adventure that has to do with the origin of the Saiyan race, I'm very excited.
precita wrote:Hopefully the Saiyans all have unique designs. Tired of seeing Goku's face re-used for 10 different characters, or Gohan's haircut (with Cabba). Even Caulifa doesn't look too much different than the female Saiyans in the past.
What female Saiyans in the past are you referring to? The only ones I can think of are Gene and Fasha/Selypa, and then apparently there's also Note, Viola, and Forte from DB Heroes, which I'm not familiar with but after googling them they look nothing like Caulifla, and neither do Gene and Fasha/Selypa.
The only two named female Saiyans in the Seventh Universe are Gine and Selipa

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:21 am

From Herms. A full translation of the new DB movie announcement from the official site:

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:23 am

Asura wrote:Is this actually a real quote? Was it delivered sarcastically or meant in full seriousness?
I think they meant in terms of their history.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:25 am

The gr wrote:
Noah wrote:
Probably not in Sadla, but in the Universe 6.
If that foe is so strong how come U6 never recruited him.I think U12 is the perfect candidate for this,they mentioned something interesting about the time traveler.
    Smelling a retcon or something weird added to the lore in this movie.
    The Gods don't know everything. Not to mention a Universe is a huge place, someone being powerful enough to give Goku a good match is possible. DB should never use ABC logic for everything. Golden Freeza was weaker than Beerus, but still powerful enough to give Goku some trouble.
    She/Her
    PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
    LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ArchedThunder
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:29 am

The "Finally, a chance for Saiyans to get the limelight!" line was a joke from Herms.

JazzMazz
    I Live Here
    Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:39 am

Do you think this movie will begin with main characters from our current cast looking into the past to sate their curiousity about the Saiyans past?

ArchedThunder
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:41 am

JazzMazz wrote:Do you think this movie will begin with main characters from our current cast looking into the past to sate their curiousity about the Saiyans past?
    I'd rather it not, but I expect Goku going God for the first time to be at the end of the film or to be in the credits.

HeroR
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:46 am

ArchedThunder wrote:
    JazzMazz wrote:Do you think this movie will begin with main characters from our current cast looking into the past to sate their curiousity about the Saiyans past?
    I'd rather it not, but I expect Goku going God for the first time to be at the end of the film or to be in the credits.
    I personally can see Yamoshi's spirit floating around for centuries and even casual observing Goku's life, wondering if he was the savior he was looking for, especially after he goes Super Saiyan on Namek. The conclusion come with Yamoshi watching Goku battle Beerus as a Super Saiyan God and keeping its power, making Yamoshi conclude that Goku was the one he was searching for and that the Saiyans were in good hands, allowing him to finally cross over.
    Kanassa wrote:
    Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

emperior
    I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:47 am

I can’t believe it. I have been dreaming of a movie about the Saiyans since forever.
    Toriyama writing the script and providing designs means this will be good. I’m hyped and happy!
    悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

sintzu
    Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:53 am

If this story is significant enough I can see them turning it into an arc for super later down the line, especially if a new ssj level is introduced.
    emperior wrote:Toriyama writing the script and providing designs means this will be good. I’m hyped and happy!
    On top of that we'll get really good production value and fights. I can't wait to see something on the level of Goku vs Beerus again.

Grimlock
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:54 am

emperior wrote:Toriyama writing the script and providing designs means this will be good!
    I think you missed Movie 15 and Dragon Ball Minus. Take a look at them (or don't do it, for your own sake).
    We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

HeroR
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:56 am

Grimlock wrote:
    emperior wrote:Toriyama writing the script and providing designs means this will be good!
    I think you missed Movie 15 and Dragon Ball Minus. Take a look at them (or don't do it, for your own sake).
    It works for me since I like Resurrection 'F' and Minus' problem is that it tried to tell a complex story in 15 pages and it was a bonus chapter.
    Kanassa wrote:

Cipher
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:57 am

Resurrection "F" is more than fine. People just went in with unrealistic expectations. Toriyama writes goofy character stuff first and complex drama second, and "F" excelled at the former.

JazzMazz
    I Live Here
    Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:01 am

Cipher wrote:Resurrection "F" is more than fine. People just went in with unrealistic expectations.
    No it wasn't.

Espicially in comparison to Toei's other films, ROF was horribly dry.

I don't see how peoples expectations were unrealistic to expect a somewhat engaging romp, which failed to deliver on even that account due to the frankly amateurish direction.

HeroR
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:04 am

JazzMazz wrote:
    Cipher wrote:Resurrection "F" is more than fine. People just went in with unrealistic expectations.
    No it wasn't.

I don't see how peoples expectations were unrealistic to expect a somewhat engaging romp, which failed to deliver on even that account due to the frankly amateurish direction.
    Honestly, I liked Resurrection 'F' more than any of the Toei films, most of the 'fan-favorites' I find extremely overrated outside of movie 13. I loved the fights, character interaction, and how the entire movie was about the flaws within Goku, Vegeta, and Freeza's character that royally screwed them over with Freeza coming out ahead and the day is saved by Whis.
    Kanassa wrote:

Professor Freeza
    Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:06 am

Hopefully it will be about Yamoshi, Original SSj and OG SSG.

Come on, clear it up now....

sintzu
    Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:08 am

JazzMazz wrote:
    No it wasn't.

I was diappointed that Vegeta didn't kill Freeza (an unrealistic expectation based on the series' history) but apart form that I think it was a good movie as it hit all the points I wanted it to apart from that one.

Overall Toriyama has been doing a good job so I have no reason to think this movie will be bad but I will keep an open mind as there might be parts I won't like but I doubt it'll be enough to ruin it.

Sonicjamareiz
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Sonicjamareiz » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:17 am

I know this doesn't belong here but it seems Aniraza has been revealed and He looks badass or generic depending on how you look at it.
    Purple Cum Monster Vegeta arc :sick:

sintzu
    Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:27 am

Ajay said that it being released in December is a good thing as One Piece's best movies released there and it gives them a year worth of production time unlike the previous 2 which had 8 months so we're in for an amazing ride.

Super Saiyan Swagger
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:31 am

sintzu wrote:Ajay said that it being released in December is a good thing as One Piece's best movies released there and it gives them a year worth of production time unlike the previous 2 which had 8 months so we're in for an amazing ride.
    Yeah, way more time for production and some quality animation. It could also mean that it'll be a lengthy film. Possibly the first Dragon Ball film that'll reach 2 hours.