Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Miracles » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:22 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:25 pm
Miracles wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:44 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:24 pm

Goku was never really ashamed of his Saiyan heritage to begin with, at least not in the case of the manga. Toei were the ones who had him say things like “I ain’t a Saiyan, I’m an Earthling” and “I’m not Kakarotto, I’m Son Goku!”
Goku never really acknowledged his Saiyan heritage. First time ever he has referred to himself as "Kakarot." He showed some pride in it after witnessing Broly's might, a Saiyan.
I will acknowledge that this is the first time I can think of where he’s referred to himself by his Saiyan name, but even as far back as the Saiyan saga, he had no problem informing Kaio of his Saiyan heritage, and he even used the fact that he’s a Saiyan to justify his desire to fight Vegeta again. Then, of course, there was that time he delivered a whole speech to Freeza about how he’s become the legendary Super Saiyan.
Yeah but it's something different when Goku uses his birth name. He finally really owns it.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:09 pm

I find it hard to believe that Vampa has no sources of water.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:59 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:09 pm I find it hard to believe that Vampa has no sources of water.
There was quite a bit of laughing in the screening I went to when Broly asked what water is.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:42 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:59 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:09 pm I find it hard to believe that Vampa has no sources of water.
There was quite a bit of laughing in the screening I went to when Broly asked what water is.
Yeah? I'm not the only one who understands that water is incredibly important.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:48 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:42 pm
A character not knowing what water is does seem like the kind of ridiculous thing you’d expect from a gag writer like Toriyama, except that in the case of this movie, it obviously wasn’t meant to be played for laughs. I guess we’re supposed to assume that those spider things contained enough fluids to keep Broly and Paragus from dehydrating.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:04 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:48 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:42 pm

A character not knowing what water is does seem like the kind of ridiculous thing you’d expect from a gag writer like Toriyama, except that in the case of this movie, it obviously wasn’t meant to be played for laughs. I guess we’re supposed to assume that those spider things contained enough fluids to keep Broly and Paragus from dehydrating.
Well yeah....... That's obvious.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:03 am

Still waiting for the extended version of this. If BOG and ROF can have it, there's no reason why the most successful DB movie ever can't have it too. The main focus should be the saiyans backstory which was rushed.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:21 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:03 am Still waiting for the extended version of this. If BOG and ROF can have it, there's no reason why the most successful DB movie ever can't have it too. The main focus should be the saiyans backstory which was rushed.
Yeah, no reason why they shouldn't have an extended version of DBS Broly. Since plenty of Toriyama's script for the story was cut down.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:47 pm

Miracles wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:56 pm I have to give Toriyama his props for making Broly a powerhouse. Keeping his "legendary" legend status alive from the old movies. To be able to go head up with fusion, the strongest components in DB is something to write home to mom about. Then being compared to the protagonists most powerful, future rival, in Beerus, cements his ferocity even more. I just re watched it, it was pretty fun.
Funny to note that if wasn't Toriyama name in it, how many people would find ludicrous to have another Saiyan character with the same bullsh*t "prodigy" excuses that came from RoF movie that surpasses both Goku and Vegeta who busted their asses training for decades to be at the God Realm :lol:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:57 pm

Noah wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:47 pm
Miracles wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:56 pm I have to give Toriyama his props for making Broly a powerhouse. Keeping his "legendary" legend status alive from the old movies. To be able to go head up with fusion, the strongest components in DB is something to write home to mom about. Then being compared to the protagonists most powerful, future rival, in Beerus, cements his ferocity even more. I just re watched it, it was pretty fun.
Funny to note that if wasn't Toriyama name in it, how many people would find ludicrous to have another Saiyan character with the same bullsh*t "prodigy" excuses that came from RoF movie that surpasses both Goku and Vegeta who busted their asses training for decades to be at the God Realm :lol:
This is a good point. :lol:

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:10 pm

Noah wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:47 pm
The same ones who bought classic privileged DBZ Broly being way above the working SSJ class of Goku and Vegeta without Toriyama's name on it.

:clap:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Miracles wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:56 pmThe same ones who bought classic privileged DBZ Broly being way above the working SSJ class of Goku and Vegeta without Toriyama's name on it. :clap:
Don't know what are you trying to say lol

It was easy to bought Broly's power back then, the "Legendary Super Saiyan" was something vague before his debut. The movie story explaining that the old legend told back was in fact true and he was the warrior who came after 1,000 years wasn't something that farfetched yet.

What is farfetched is to him to come on the actual timeline: thirteen years after both Goku and Vegeta had surpassed their common SSJ transformations. Movie 8 Broly was not even a SSJ2-tier.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:52 pm

Noah wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:47 pmFunny to note that if wasn't Toriyama name in it, how many people would find ludicrous to have another Saiyan character with the same bullsh*t "prodigy" excuses that came from RoF movie that surpasses both Goku and Vegeta who busted their asses training for decades to be at the God Realm :lol:
It was usually considered wanking when Broly or another prodigy Saiyan surpassed Goku and Vegeta (BT3's into with Broly fighting SSJ Gogeta, DBM's Broly, Xicor, Rigor, etc) :P. Toriyama's Broly surpasses all of these guys in about an hour! I've always liked the idea that Broly has the potential to surpass all of Goku and Vegeta's forms but you're usually called a Broly fanboy for thinking it's possible. I'm glad Toriyama did it to make it more acceptable.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:14 pm

Noah wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:44 pm
Miracles wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:56 pmThe same ones who bought classic privileged DBZ Broly being way above the working SSJ class of Goku and Vegeta without Toriyama's name on it. :clap:

It was easy to bought Broly's power back then, the "Legendary Super Saiyan" was something vague before his debut. The movie story explaining that the old legend told back was in fact true and he was the warrior who came after 1,000 years wasn't something that farfetched yet.

What is farfetched is to him to come on the actual timeline: thirteen years after both Goku and Vegeta had surpassed their common SSJ transformations. Movie 8 Broly was not even a SSJ2-tier.
Not when it was shown that as a baby Broly's battle power/potential is greater than Goku and Vegeta's. It was the same as the old DBZ Broly backstory, so it works for both.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:10 pm

Miracles wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:14 pm
Noah wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Not when it was shown that as a baby Broly's battle power/potential is greater than Goku and Vegeta's. It was the same as the old DBZ Broly backstory, so it works for both.
Hmm good point.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:04 pm

Who else thought it was funny [Although entertaining] that base Goku could trade blows with Ikari Broly, who was bullying god Vegeta prior?

Man, when Toriyama says TOEI can go wild on the fight scenes they really go to town don't they? :lol:

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:56 am

Miracles wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:21 pm
FortuneSSJ wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:03 am Still waiting for the extended version of this. If BOG and ROF can have it, there's no reason why the most successful DB movie ever can't have it too. The main focus should be the saiyans backstory which was rushed.
Yeah, no reason why they shouldn't have an extended version of DBS Broly. Since plenty of Toriyama's script for the story was cut down.
I thought the extended version is just going to be the next saga? We will see everything then

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:24 am

bigray wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:56 am
Miracles wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:21 pm
I thought the extended version is just going to be the next saga? We will see everything then
I don't think so. Extended version means extra scenes for the current arc [Broly movie].

I assumed since they caught out some of Toriyama's script [length purposes] we might get an extended cut of the movie.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:40 pm

Wouldn’t they have announced an extended cut of this movie by now, if they planned on releasing one?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:09 am

Broly isn't getting an extended cut. They sotryboarded a version which would've lasted 3 hours then out of that material actually animated about a hundred minutes worth. All that other time is nothing but boards with no animation to speak of unlike BoG which had fully animated stuff existing which was just cut out for runtime. Besides, the movie barely has enough story for the runtime it has: what in the world is shit like Nappa vs Raditz gonna do besides pad it out with more fluff?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):