Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Grimlock » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:25 pm

Xeztin wrote:Bardock dies either way, confronting Freeza or not, the end game is the same. I'm sure the Saiyan's just don't sit there while Freeza is blowing up the planet if they know about it. They are too prideful for that, though even if they didn't do a thing, it's the same result.
Huh... Yeah, the end is the same, but that does not mean what comes before must be a blank state or irrevelant things. For a better character, Bardock has to face Freeza.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:55 pm

Grimlock wrote:
Xeztin wrote:Bardock dies either way, confronting Freeza or not, the end game is the same. I'm sure the Saiyan's just don't sit there while Freeza is blowing up the planet if they know about it. They are too prideful for that, though even if they didn't do a thing, it's the same result.
Huh... Yeah, the end is the same, but that does not mean what comes before must be a blank state or irrevelant things. For a better character, Bardock has to face Freeza.
His character was to stand up to Freeza but he knewhe was going to die right? Deep down they all did. Thats why he sent Goku away before hand. Honestly I think him protecting his son and sending him away and accepting his fate is just as good as him sending Goku away and trying to fight freeza. It doesn’t bother me that much as either scenario shows he cared more about his family then himself as Saiyan’s are usually selfish. :D

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:04 pm

Xeztin wrote:Bardock dies either way, confronting Freeza or not, the end game is the same. I'm sure the Saiyan's just don't sit there while Freeza is blowing up the planet if they know about it.
I'm not sure about that. Current Toriyama seems to make the past Saiyans more passive they were supposed to be.
Wouldn't be surprised if when they find out it's futile to resist, they stop fighting and accept their fate.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:04 pm

Well in truth, to be good Bardock needs to have a personality. Minus took that away, but no amount of fake badass moments facing Freeza will give that back to him. Only being written well as a person will. The film totally could do that, I don't know, but it's not something we can approximate with the information we have. Characters are much more than the things they do, otherwise every story would only be a random collection of events rather than letting you know anything about who it's subjects are as people.

On a side note his "all or nothing" mindset of hinging the quality of a character or film or arc or whatever on whether it agrees with some principle of how you think it should be rather than whether it's actually good is an incredibly unhealthy mindset for the fanbase to take. I'm sure it's hyperbole, but it's really annoying either way.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Bardock's legacy is Goku and not some stupid rebellion where he achieved nothing. Quite the audacity to say that was all Bardock was about, throwing an energy ball and dying to Frieza

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:19 pm

CTAkuma wrote:Bardock's legacy is Goku and not some stupid rebellion where he achieved nothing. Quite the audacity to say that was all Bardock was about, throwing an energy ball and dieing to Frieza
It was a character defining moment, where he stood against impossible odds with almost no chance of winning for the sake of his people. Sure, his legacy is Goku, but as a character, it's by far the most interesting thing he did. Otherwise, what the hell is even the point of knowing who Goku's father was?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:20 pm

Yeah, without the rebellion scene it changes literally nothing. Absolutely nothing changes.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:37 pm

For people worrying about Bardock rebellion just watch this

See you in the Third Trailer that will erase all your worrieness 8)
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:41 pm

I'd argue Bardock's defining moment is the first we see of him, murdering people and enjoying it. The entire point of his special is that he's nobody. He's a random-ass low class saiyan warrior who just happened to be the father of a galactic hero, who just happened to be able to see the future for a while. Attempting to stop Freeza and being pathetically shut down for it is nothing but the period on the shitty sentence that was his life. He could have been anyone.

Without the rebellion, all we lose is a memorable death for the character. And if that's all you care about, you can just watch the special. The fact stands that Minus took a lot of way more fucking important things away from Bardock than that.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:44 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:Bardock's legacy is Goku and not some stupid rebellion where he achieved nothing. Quite the audacity to say that was all Bardock was about, throwing an energy ball and dieing to Frieza
It was a character defining moment, where he stood against impossible odds with almost no chance of winning for the sake of his people. Sure, his legacy is Goku, but as a character, it's by far the most interesting thing he did. Otherwise, what the hell is even the point of knowing who Goku's father was?
If we knew nothing about the past other than Vegeta was the prince and planet Vegeta was destroyed and we have Goku alive on earth, wouldn’t you be curious to how Goku was alive? And who sent him to Earth and why? Raditz being used in the story basically begs the question of who was his dad. In all honesty from what we’ve seen of the Saiyans though, they’d rather die fighting then run. Freeza vs Goku and Vegeta at Namek was impossible odds as well. Its more a stubborn trait then a definining character moment imo. Cell, Boo, Beerus etc were impossible odds for the entire cast yet they fought.
Last edited by Xeztin on Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:46 pm

CTAkuma wrote:Bardock's legacy is Goku and not some stupid rebellion where he achieved nothing. Quite the audacity to say that was all Bardock was about, throwing an energy ball and dying to Frieza
He died like a man in the 90s special. That's the point of people's beef with DB Minus.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:04 pm

Shaddy wrote:I'd argue Bardock's defining moment is the first we see of him, murdering people and enjoying it. The entire point of his special is that he's nobody. He's a random-ass low class saiyan warrior who just happened to be the father of a galactic hero, who just happened to be able to see the future for a while. Attempting to stop Freeza and being pathetically shut down for it is nothing but the period on the shitty sentence that was his life. He could have been anyone.

Without the rebellion, all we lose is a memorable death for the character. And if that's all you care about, you can just watch the special. The fact stands that Minus took a lot of way more fucking important things away from Bardock than that.
And guess what opens Minus?

Killing off a planet's inhabitants with no moral qualms whatsoever.

How is he any less of a random-ass low class nobody?

Also, there's no evidence that Bardock doesn't die trying to make a stand against Freeza because Minus wasn't focusing on that. We never saw Freeza destroy Vegeta in Minus, but we do in the Broli movie. Yes, the trailer doesn't show it, but that's just it: It's a trailer, not an extended clip of the scene.
ricky84 wrote:He died like a man in the 90s special. That's the point of people's beef with DB Minus.
Like I said. We don't know how he died in Minus. We'll probably know in the new movie.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:05 pm

ricky84 wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:Bardock's legacy is Goku and not some stupid rebellion where he achieved nothing. Quite the audacity to say that was all Bardock was about, throwing an energy ball and dying to Frieza
He died like a man in the 90s special. That's the point of people's beef with DB Minus.
Minus doesn't even show how he died. It cuts away from Vegeta a month before Frieza destroys the planet.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:08 pm

ricky84 wrote:He died like a man in the 90s special. That's the point of people's beef with DB Minus.
Don't bring that sexist garbage into this.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:11 pm

Exactly. The story was how the destined Goku was fired off. Bardock was nothing more than a catalyst to that.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:40 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
I don't see that as Sexist. Bardock is a man that died like a man. Its either that or a coward.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:44 pm

Shaddy wrote:I'd argue Bardock's defining moment is the first we see of him, murdering people and enjoying it. The entire point of his special is that he's nobody. He's a random-ass low class saiyan warrior who just happened to be the father of a galactic hero, who just happened to be able to see the future for a while. Attempting to stop Freeza and being pathetically shut down for it is nothing but the period on the shitty sentence that was his life. He could have been anyone.

Bardock is special. They made him the second strongest Saiyan, growing to the point he "might catch up King Vegeta", making him and his crew targeted by Dodoria. They are only on Kanassa because it's an extremely difficult task who elites were dodging.

Him being inserted with the plot directly in the head isn't random, it's because he was the leader of Kanassian genocide. He's absolutely special and get's an undeserved bittersweet ending by smiling watching his son(who he didn't care about) avenge him and the Saiyan race.

I love Bardock's special but it has a lot of problems, I feel like people are putting it in a pedestal.

Kaiza_Toshiyuki
Temporarily Banned

Post by Kaiza_Toshiyuki » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:49 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:For people worrying about Bardock rebellion just watch this

See you in the Third Trailer that will erase all your worrieness 8)
I've been saying this from the beginning

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:58 pm

alakazam^ wrote:
What sexism? Don't bring your SJWism into this.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm

Mewzard wrote: And guess what opens Minus?

Killing off a planet's inhabitants with no moral qualms whatsoever.

How is he any less of a random-ass low class nobody?
Point taken, but he still doesn't have the abrasive attitude or slasher smile a lot of the time, and he just magically knows Freeza's gonna blow up the planet without being implanted with any future-vision in minus.
LightBing wrote: Bardock is special. They made him the second strongest Saiyan, growing to the point he "might catch up King Vegeta", making him and his crew targeted by Dodoria. They are only on Kanassa because it's an extremely difficult task who elites were dodging.

Him being inserted with the plot directly in the head isn't random, it's because he was the leader of Kanassian genocide. He's absolutely special and get's an undeserved bittersweet ending by smiling watching his son(who he didn't care about) avenge him and the Saiyan race.

I love Bardock's special but it has a lot of problems, I feel like people are putting it in a pedestal.
Fair enough, I guess he's not a complete nothing, though they definitely clearly still want you to think of him in that sense. All of his dialogue and actions are still more boring in Minus, regardless.

Also protip: stereotypical ideas of "manliness" are inherently sexist even if you don't personally believe them to be harmful. Fuck off if you're gonna call anyone who follows this school of thought an evil essjaydabyew just because you don't like it.