Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Omniboy
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Omniboy » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:28 pm

Yeah, I am not the biggest fan of the new design. The old is far better in my opinion, especially the base form. However, I do like the proportions of the new legendary form a lot better, but I'm still iffy on the design as a whole. Thankfully that's only one aspect of his character. I have yet to see his characterization, although I have feeling that he will just be a generic revenger type character. But his old version was a generic berserker to some extent and I enjoyed him, so I will have to see how this goes.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Simere wrote:
Cetra wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Exactly! It is a silly argument people like to use, ResF also got tonnes of hate too. I don't like BoG or ResF and think some of the older Z movies are actually better, but I like DBS and don't like GT. There is no pattern, I and am sure many other people like what they like regardless of what name is attached where. Hell the SS recolour argument that people say is only popular because of Toriyama, SS3 was made by Toriyama yet SSGSS has completely stomped on that form in terms of popularity and SS3 barely appeared in DBS!
Eh, there are lots of people who use the "Toriyama didn't make it, it sucks" argument. Just because there are people who hate stuff that he made does not mean there aren't other who do not use his absence from a product as an excuse. Just look at youtube's comment section.
I'm in both of those camps. If Toriyama, then good or bad. If not, then bad.
Yeah pretty much. Toriyama can be "hit or miss" but otherwise it is pretty much always "miss."

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:55 pm

As much as we like to make fun of Broly’s design as a Legendary Super Saiyan, the look he has in his base and normal SSJ forms looked fairly distinctive. His appearance here just seems generic.

Anyway, on somewhat related note, I’m kind of curious to see how future video games will handle these two different versions of Broly. Will they be treated as separate characters? Alternate costumes for the same characters?
Last edited by WittyUsername on Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:58 pm

WittyUsername wrote:As much as we like to make fun of Broly’s design as a Legendary Super Saiyan, the look he has in his base and normal SSJ forms looked fairly distinctive. His appearance here just seems generic.

Anyway, on somewhat related note, I’m kind of curious to see how future video games will handle these two different versions of Brody. Will they be treated as separate characters? Alternate costumes for the same characters?
Xenoverse treats the Super version of 17 as a separate character so I imagine Broly will be too.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:01 pm

If anyone wants to get a close up detail of the new Broli...

[spoiler]Broli in Freeza armor

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/07/16/d ... -revealed/[/spoiler]
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:16 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:If anyone wants to get a close up detail of the new Broli...

How is it possible that the clearer the images become, the uglier the design looks?

Jackal puFF
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:11 pm

Did anyone else think that was Yamcha in the poster? I can't be the only one.

Broly's hair looks like a mess in his base. I kinda don't like him in saiyan armor. I like his choker though.

His transformation form looks hella funny though with purple leggings. I'm sure it'll look great in motion though.

If they keep the original voices for both jap and dub I'll be okay with it.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Jackal puFF wrote:Did anyone else think that was Yamcha in the poster? I can't be the only one.
Yeah so did I, but then I was reminded Yamcha has a slightly different scar, so that's something
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:48 pm

TheMikado wrote:
SilverPlaqueVII wrote:If anyone wants to get a close up detail of the new Broli...

How is it possible that the clearer the images become, the uglier the design looks?
It could just be that, unlike the majority, you just don’t like the designs. But i will again stress that most people like these designs and some eve find it better than old Broly.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:58 pm

Honestly I can't tell how much I like the design until I see it fully animated in the movie. It is just hard to tell how it will look

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:15 pm

Here's a fanart of his new "form"
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:25 pm

^ This is a Broly with his full armour intact, I am not so sure he is in any kind of form yet, if I had to guess those yellow eyes are a product of either his legendary lineage or that choker around his neck
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:45 pm

You know, with all this talk about Gogeta, I'm thinking to myself, "You know, Vegetto is very possible too". All they have to do is have Goku teleport to the Kaioshin Realm, and, say, "Yo Kaioshin, me and Vegeta are having trouble with this Broly guy. Can I borrow your earrings?" Then Elder Kaioshin or Shin gives him the Potara, Goku teleports back to the frozen planet, gives one of the earrings to Vegeta, they put them on, and BOOM! We got Vegetto. How simple is that?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Brettjr25
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brettjr25 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:01 pm

Awwww...base Broly looks like s#*t. :/ Oh well I can still hope for a cool plot.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:You know, with all this talk about Gogeta, I'm thinking to myself, "You know, Vegetto is very possible too".
Vegetto is literally everywhere now, so I'd rather see Gogeta who deserves spotlight more. Besides after they crushed Kaioshin's potaras (before fighting Kid Buu)? it would make the Saiyans look like hypocrites asking for them again.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:22 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:^ This is a Broly with his full armour intact, I am not so sure he is in any kind of form yet, if I had to guess those yellow eyes are a product of either his legendary lineage or that choker around his neck
It's odd, they definitely wouldn't reveal a new form like that especially since for ResF they went to great length to hide the forms but at the same time it doesn't make sense they wouldn't release figures of strongest forms during movie month (there are no more regular prize figures scheduled in December other than those three).

Unless someone f**ked up thinking it was base Broly when it wasn't? Which wouldn't be too far fetch'd as if his final form has black hair you could see why it could be confusing. The armour is irrelevant here, as Nakazawa (or other sculptors) are sculpting what sheets they are given at the time (these figures were sculpting late 2017/early 2018) which is why every UI "Omen" Goku figure doesn't have the blue shirt because the sheets for "Omen" were naked. The movie designs for SSGSS specified they were for Goku's dogi and Vegeta's armour thus heavily implying there are more SSGSS sheets and perhaps one of them battle damaged SSGSS Goku, which would explain why we have a figure of him.

Hopefully the trailer will clear things up.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:31 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote:Broly's design has a lot of neon green. His original design was pretty badass and I'd need to see how this incarnation can surpass the other one.

Yes, I wished Toriyama kept the red and gold from Broly old design to his new one, him just having a green fur to match his LSSJ hair is silly to me.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Jaden
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jaden » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:45 pm

If they are gonna incorporate at least one humorous scene I'd like it to be Trunks peeing on Broly :mrgreen:

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:32 pm

I was thinking today of how the new Broly movie could essentially be a tragedy like Hamlet. Wherein his motivation is against Vegeta now instead of Goku. Paragus could have been the prior king of the saiyans and Vegeta’s father could have killed him to take the throne. And when he did we find out he bartered a deal with Freeza which cost the saiyans their freedom and ultimately their planet.

Broly could want revenge on Vegeta for what his father did to take his place as the rightful heir. Ultimately we find out it was Freeza who killed Paragus and so the tables turn at some point in the movie.

That could be interesting.

Vados_chan
Banned

Post by Vados_chan » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:42 pm

How long until V-Jump leaks?