Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Black Hawk
Regular

Re: New movie announced for December 2018!

Post by Black Hawk » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:18 am

Noah wrote:
Grimlock wrote:This actually might be the chance for us to see for the first time Toriyama's version on Universe 7's Tsufurujins...
Didn't we already got these yet?
Close. This is Toriyama's drawing of a Tsufurujin.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:25 am

Finally a movie focused on Saiayns. It's been so long since we've seen them in action. :yawn:

This will most likely involve that first Saiyan Toriyama talked about but I don't think it'll be on Sadal as that could be Super's next arc. In terms of all the Saiyans they could be in flashbacks.

I really hope he and any other potential new man character has a cool, badass design. I'm pretty sure the production will be just as good as the previous 2 movies so I don't think we need to worry about that.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:27 am

I hope we see Broly in this movie, since you know... He is the Legendary Super Saiyan jk lol
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:33 am

precita wrote:
Chuquita wrote: Though if this is just a lore movie about Yamoshi I'll be skipping it.
I'd rather a lore movie of something we've never seen before than something inconsequential.
And I'd rather have a fun adventure movie with characters I know and enjoy instead of a lore movie with none of the characters I care about that's explaining stuff I have no interest in.
Gyt Kaliba wrote:Woo-hoo! I can't wait to see more of what this is about.
Chuquita wrote:If it's finally a Vegeta and Gokû field trip to Planet Salad, then hooray!

Though if this is just a lore movie about Yamoshi I'll be skipping it.
I'm actually kind of wondering if it won't be both in a way. They go to the Universe 6 Saiyan homeworld, find out stuff dealing with the original Super Saiyan (possibly God) while there that ends up tying into a new threat to deal with in the movie, or something.
This I'd be ok with. I'd really prefer to have the Planet Salad arc be in the series rather than a movie because a movie means we're doomed to Yamamuro corrections, but I could live with the field trip being a movie.
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
Chuquita wrote:If it's finally a Vegeta and Gokû field trip to Planet Salad, then hooray!

I don't mean to sound a bit condescending, but why should DB be always the central focus on Goku and Vegeta, when there are a lot of lores that could be expanded upon? The Bardock TV Special was pretty good because of its new lore at the time. Why not try to invest as bit more in the new stuff not about Goku or Vegeta?
Dragon Ball lore is boring. I find it boring anyway. Toriyama's no world-builder like Oda is, or someone who can consistently reboot his manga's world like Araki; he's a gag manga writer at heart. A gag manga writer who's awesome at choreographing battles and drawing machines.

Why not invest? Because I don't care. It doesn't interest me.
Totamo wrote:
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:

I don't mean to sound a bit condescending, but why should DB be always the central focus on Goku and Vegeta, when there are a lot of lores that could be expanded upon? The Bardock TV Special was pretty good because of its new lore at the time. Why not try to invest as bit more in the new stuff not about Goku or Vegeta?
And then the special after it happened proving lighting does not strike twice
Episode of Bardock was a mess, and then Minus Bardock was a rushed mess. I wish Bardock had just stayed as the one TV special because the original 90's one was fine.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:37 am

Toriyama scripts are good.

Dragon Ball lore is boring.

I am of two minds and don't know what my knee-jerk reaction should be.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:40 am

Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball lore is boring.
Like how exactly? I don't remember seeing anything we could call "lore" in this series apart from some fillers flashbacks.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Supersaiyanbulla
Temporarily Banned

Post by Supersaiyanbulla » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:44 am

Theirs so much for him to cover, I'll be interested to see just how S-cells get discovered; confirmation on the relationship between the Legendary Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan God With Yamoshi, how Vegeta's family came to become the main royal family over the whole race; and possibly an adaption of Dragon Ball minus to end the film on.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:45 am

Noah wrote:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball lore is boring.
Like how exactly? I don't remember getting anything that we could call "lore" in this series apart from fillers flashbacks.
I'm uninterested in learning more about the Saiyans because I don't feel they particularly work given any more substance than the vague, somewhat cliched space pirates they were when introduced in the original series. That isn't a knock against them; that's the way Dragon Ball operates. It collects tried-and-true tropes and effortlessly remixes them into new iconography thanks to Toriyama's fun and sense of style.

The Saiyans don't need more than that, and I don't think giving them more than that particularly serves the story we have. Most of the series' background elements are similar.

But Toriyama has only ever produced one (maybe two) stories I really dislike, so I'm willing to give this project the benefit of the doubt and will probably wind up being surprised in ways I could never have imagined.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:48 am

Supersaiyanbulla wrote:Theirs so much for him to cover, I'll be interested to see just how S-cells get discovered; confirmation on the relationship between the Legendary Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan God With Yamoshi, how Vegeta's family came to become the main royal family over the whole race; and possibly an adaption of Dragon Ball minus to end the film on.
I hope it's long enough and not full of wasting time scenes like Pilaf's in BOG because I really want them to get the most out of it.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:51 am

Cipher wrote:I'm uninterested in learning more about the Saiyans because I don't feel they particularly work given any more substance than the vague, somewhat cliched space pirates they were when introduced in the original series.
Yea, I think you got valuable points. I can see many people being tired of knowing more about Saiyans, when in DB we have a Multiverse so vast that we could explore the lore of other places and beings too.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Supersaiyanbulla
Temporarily Banned

Post by Supersaiyanbulla » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:53 am

sintzu wrote:
Supersaiyanbulla wrote:Theirs so much for him to cover, I'll be interested to see just how S-cells get discovered; confirmation on the relationship between the Legendary Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan God With Yamoshi, how Vegeta's family came to become the main royal family over the whole race; and possibly an adaption of Dragon Ball minus to end the film on.
I hope it's long enough and not full of wasting time scenes like Pilaf's in BOG because I really want them to get the most out of it.
Agree.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:53 am

precita wrote:Well if it takes place millions of years in the past how would it feature Goku and co.?
It’s not going to feature Gokuh and friends.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:55 am

precita wrote:I just hope this doesn't contradict the established lore. Toriyama seems to be changing things for the sake of it lately.
There was nothing to change. Everything the TV special had was implied in the manga. Anyway, Toriyama can do whatever he wants. He never really went into the backstory

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:56 am

Meshack wrote:
precita wrote:Well if it takes place millions of years in the past how would it feature Goku and co.?
It’s not going to feature Gokuh and friends.
They could a flash forward near the end of the movie that connects to Goku.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:58 am

I can see this movie playing out in 3 ways; Yamaushi is somehow still alive and tells everyone about what happened in flashbacks before showing himself as the villain, Someone brings him back to life then things play out like the above or Goku and Vegeta go back in time somehow.
Last edited by sintzu on Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:59 am

precita wrote:So why is the GT special with Goku Jr. not considered a movie?
Because its not a movie. It’s a TV special.

Meshack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Meshack » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:01 am

Noah wrote:I hope we see Broly in this movie, since you know... He is the Legendary Super Saiyan jk lol
Are you kidding me?

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:08 am

Hopefully the Saiyans all have unique designs. Tired of seeing Goku's face re-used for 10 different characters, or Gohan's haircut (with Cabba). Even Caulifa doesn't look too much different than the female Saiyans in the past.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:10 am

Meshack wrote:
Noah wrote:I hope we see Broly in this movie, since you know... He is the Legendary Super Saiyan jk lol
Are you kidding me?
Probably. :lol:

To be fair though, we'll probably get Broly again sooner or later so don't completely rule him out. The only reason we haven't seen him yet is because of Toriyama but once he's done Toei will probably bring him back as he's their most popular villain.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:12 am

superfan2024 wrote:- "The key word(s): "The strongest warrior race in the universe, the Saiyans". Finally, a chance for Saiyans to get the limelight!"
Is this actually a real quote? Was it delivered sarcastically or meant in full seriousness?

Anyway, if this movie features a completely new cast of characters that have no connection at all to Goku and co. I'll be sorely disappointed. If it's a film that features both U7 and U6 Saiyans on some kind of adventure that has to do with the origin of the Saiyan race, I'm very excited.
precita wrote:Hopefully the Saiyans all have unique designs. Tired of seeing Goku's face re-used for 10 different characters, or Gohan's haircut (with Cabba). Even Caulifa doesn't look too much different than the female Saiyans in the past.
What female Saiyans in the past are you referring to? The only ones I can think of are Gene and Fasha/Selypa, and then apparently there's also Note, Viola, and Forte from DB Heroes, which I'm not familiar with but after googling them they look nothing like Caulifla, and neither do Gene and Fasha/Selypa.