Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by vashter » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:05 am

Chuquita wrote:
Toxin45 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

As someone who doesn't care much about canonizing things, I wish they'd focus on creating new and interesting antagonists after this instead of just redo all the villains we already have--makes it feel too much like what the videogames did over and over again during the past decade+. :(

That said I like the idea of Gogeta and Vegetto being equals, and I like new!Brolli.
Don't you remember the galactic prisoner arc we have a new villain dude.

I didn't forget about him; I'm looking forward to what he brings. The translation just left me uneasy about the topics of future movies.
galactic arc is for manga only from what i heard... not anime

Darkseid

Post by Darkseid » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:22 am

vashter wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
Toxin45 wrote: Don't you remember the galactic prisoner arc we have a new villain dude.

I didn't forget about him; I'm looking forward to what he brings. The translation just left me uneasy about the topics of future movies.
galactic arc is for manga only from what i heard... not anime
As far as I know it was announced as Manga Original not Manga only. Until its officially stated that the anime will ignore it we can only speculate. We dont even know if the Broly movie will be retold or not. If something different has been stated elswhere feel free to correct me.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:58 am

RecolorSaiyan wrote:https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/1070890625803804672

Herms translated bunch of stuff

It implies "canonizing" characters is something they will do in the future

Gogeta and Vegetto are now "equally powered trump cards"

Broly came back cause he's popular as hell which we knew
I hate this approach to DB marketing now. It means they can't do anything worth a damn to the main audience unless it's in Toriyama's 'canon.' Why does that have to be flanderized? Should I not give a damn about M12 Gogeta now? Or other products like SDBH?

If the best they can do is bring Toriyama back for half-baked, poor-to-mediocre stories, and market them as "from the mind of Toriyama we have a new DB canon story!" then it's time for me to drop the main series.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:28 pm

So we'll mostly likely see the like of Cooler, Janemba, and other popular movie villains and movie exclusive characters becoming mainstream?

Are they that out of ideas at this point? Like they have set up 12 unique universes with such possibilities but the answer is always the mighty dollar.

Also, if that's the case, why even make characters like Kale and Aniraza that are references to old movies and villains when they'll just make that character part of the continuation?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:36 pm

Yeah, Heroes should be dismissed because it's terrible, not because it's non-canon. Truly Toei and Toriyama have missed the point once again.

Regardless, I don't see anything in that interview at all that implies they'll be reworking other movie and Toei-original villains. Where are you all getting this from?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:44 pm

Toriyama's canon is just a marketing ploy meant to sell stuff to people. Personally I prefer to take an approach identical to comic books, everything is just different takes on the same concept but that doesn't make any version worth less or more than other.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:07 pm

Broli Broly wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
I'm not, I just think Toriyama's probably going to have a female in there somewhere, and if one of those other saiyans is there, they may pair up.
Goku, Vegeta and Tarble are all married. That would leave Broly, but a lot of people seem to think that there’s supposed to be something between him and Chirai.
I don't think Toriyama views Chirai as Waifu for Broly! I bet she's Jaco's ex-girlfriend whom he still loves. The story needs a main, U7 female Saiyan (Pan and Bulla will never be relevant as they are still babies). If there will be a female Saiyan among those three survivors, then the chances of her becoming engaged with Broly is pretty high I would say. We've had enough with Saiyan hybrids, we need more pure-blooded Saiyans.
We’ve had enough saiyans period. Pan and Bulla aged before they can easily do it again, so them “never” being relevant means nothing.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:59 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:Toriyama's canon is just a marketing ploy meant to sell stuff to people. Personally I prefer to take an approach identical to comic books, everything is just different takes on the same concept but that doesn't make any version worth less or more than other.
Comics are more familiar with the concept of canon than any other medium, I would say. You're certainly not talking about DC. Even with Marvel's "everything is canon" approach you'd still have almost the exact same attitudes, just instead of saying "canon" people will be saying "continuity" or "main universe".

Declaring everything canon would just be another marketing ploy meant to sell people stuff. Why do you think associating projects with Toriyama is apparently a more marketable idea?

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:05 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:Toriyama's canon is just a marketing ploy meant to sell stuff to people. Personally I prefer to take an approach identical to comic books, everything is just different takes on the same concept but that doesn't make any version worth less or more than other.
pretty much.

Like I'm not even against characters from the games and movies all being in the same continuity, especially since weve had all the timelines, multiverse, realms etc come through lately. Theres so much room for characters to exist, just not necessarily all the events.

For example, Turles could have existed, Bojack could have been alive, the ancient saiyans especially dont conflict anything, meaning it is entirely possible Shallot and Cumber existed in the context of the manga, but remained irellevant

Lukmendes
Regular

Post by Lukmendes » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:40 pm

Chuquita wrote:As someone who doesn't care much about canonizing things, I wish they'd focus on creating new and interesting antagonists after this instead of just redo all the villains we already have--makes it feel too much like what the videogames did over and over again during the past decade+. :(

That said I like the idea of Gogeta and Vegetto being equals, and I like new!Brolli.
MKCSTEALTH wrote:So we'll mostly likely see the like of Cooler, Janemba, and other popular movie villains and movie exclusive characters becoming mainstream?

Are they that out of ideas at this point? Like they have set up 12 unique universes with such possibilities but the answer is always the mighty dollar.

Also, if that's the case, why even make characters like Kale and Aniraza that are references to old movies and villains when they'll just make that character part of the continuation?
You guys confused things a bit here, they're not implying they'll "canonize" future characters, they said "Popular characters for the DB world are added to the canon", and that's the "title" of that paragraph, and the paragraph itself talks about Broly and Gogeta while pointing out they were originaly movie characters, so they're only talking about those two. Other movie villains being remade for Super is not an impossibility, but it's not implied there.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am My man, all Goku had to do was go SSJ3 and shock Vegeta so much the M on his head would have turned into an L and Buu would have never happened.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:43 pm

Lukmendes wrote:

Chuquita wrote:As someone who doesn't care much about canonizing things, I wish they'd focus on creating new and interesting antagonists after this instead of just redo all the villains we already have--makes it feel too much like what the videogames did over and over again during the past decade+. :(

MKCSTEALTH wrote:So we'll mostly likely see the like of Cooler, Janemba, and other popular movie villains and movie exclusive characters becoming mainstream?

You guys confused things a bit here, they're not implying they'll "canonize" future characters, they said "Popular characters for the DB world are added to the canon", and that's the "title" of that paragraph, and the paragraph itself talks about Broly and Gogeta while pointing out they were originaly movie characters, so they're only talking about those two. Other movie villains being remade for Super is not an impossibility, but it's not implied there.
https://twitter.com/herms98/status/1070 ... 67936?s=21

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:49 pm

It's cool to know that we might get Janemba, as he is actually the only interesting movie villain that should appear in the series with all his awesome techniques (plus a cool design) seen in Movie 12 but with a proper personality. Can't wait for his appearance.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:05 pm

Janemba wouldn't really make sense in the overall story going on. Cooler would be the most likely. I could even see Bojack and his crew being introduced as more criminals who ended up escaping from GP prisons as a result of the next arc.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:24 pm

Zelvin wrote:Janemba wouldn't really make sense in the overall story going on. Cooler would be the most likely. I could even see Bojack and his crew being introduced as more criminals who ended up escaping from GP prisons as a result of the next arc.
They could make Janemba or a Janemba style character a resident of one of the other Universes. Bojack could be a Galactic Patrol prisoner maybe. Then he and his gang flee to another universe

HeartMachine3578

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tenfdDsNQWk

Here is a sneak peak of Wrathful Broly's super move in Dragonball legends for anyone who is interested .

We know he has the mouth blast already, but there is another variant he uses here that is really cool. Hope that's in the movie as well.

Also I think it might be his actual English and Japanese voice actors from the movie voicing him, so this could be the first time we hear new Broly speaking.

**edit
At least I'm pretty sure this is the first time we hear thew new one actually speaking

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:57 pm

If I could change just one thing about the new Broly movie it would be having him keep his tail as an adult.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

HeartMachine3578

Post by HeartMachine3578 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:08 pm

HeartMachine3578 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tenfdDsNQWk

Here is a sneak peak of Wrathful Broly's super move in Dragonball legends for anyone who is interested .

We know he has the mouth blast already, but there is another variant he uses here that is really cool. Hope that's in the movie as well.

Also I think it might be his actual English and Japanese voice actors from the movie voicing him, so this could be the first time we hear new Broly speaking.

**edit
At least I'm pretty sure this is the first time we hear the new one actually speaking

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:59 am

**edit
At least I'm pretty sure this is the first time we hear thew new one actually speaking

Does Broly have new VAs? The English voice cast showed Vic would be voicing him, and I believe he still has his old Japanese VA as well. Hopefully this go around he'll actually get some dialogue as opposed to manic laughing and screaming

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:38 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote:

**edit

Does Broly have new VAs? The English voice cast showed Vic would be voicing him, and I believe he still has his old Japanese VA as well. Hopefully this go around he'll actually get some dialogue as opposed to manic laughing and screaming
He is still voiced by his original VA. Problem for me is that this VA has been used a lot in other different roles and recently I've grown used to his version of King Piccolo in DB Legends.

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:09 am

Terez wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote:Does this “canon” thing but that debate to bed, or do some people believe it’s still down to the fans? Honestly I’ve been in the camp that Toriyamas continued story (BoG, RoF etc.) is what’s considered “canon”, and it seems Shueshia also believe that.
It's down to the fans either way. There are only a few things that (based on official statements) we can say are "canon" or "not canon". Beyond that point, there's still mass confusion. Like, Super is the "canon" sequel to Toriyama's manga (implying, along with other statements, that GT was not)... but there are 3 separate continuities for Super. Which one is canon? Are they all canon? Do we go with the movies or Toriyama's napkin outline for the anime/manga? There are diverse answers to these questions and therefore we're pretty much back to where we started, really.
That’s very true, but at least this has gave a bit more clarity as to what is actually considered canon. There’s been a lot of arguments surrounding the matter, so it’s nice to see that the discussion has now been narrowed down a lot.
In the field who believed Super was canon there was always the argument over which version was canon like you mentioned.... but then on top of that there was also a fair few arguments about Super not being canon, and arguments about what takes it’s place.

Honestly, I didn’t ever really get involved in those discussions, but I’m glad now that when they take place people aren’t going in blind.