Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:50 am

1345521 wrote:Why is modern dragonball so kid friendly, the story has become more basic, and it looks like the movie is going to be very PG in terms of the violence shown. I need blood, and this movie looks like there is no blood. Why is modern dragon ball getting so soft? UGH.
Are you that guy again?

Blood is not a big deal it is extremely superficial to think it does.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:59 am

JulieYBM wrote:My guess is that Gokuu finally remembers his parents from before he left Planet Vegeta and their memory will help him slip back into the Secret of Selfishness after Gogeta fails to defeat Broli. This will contrast with Broli, who was raised by his parent and remembers what he was raised to believe: that he was the strongest Saiyan.
Doesn't last scene imply that fight is over and the film is wrapping up?

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:18 am

PFM18 wrote:
1345521 wrote:Why is modern dragonball so kid friendly, the story has become more basic, and it looks like the movie is going to be very PG in terms of the violence shown. I need blood, and this movie looks like there is no blood. Why is modern dragon ball getting so soft? UGH.
Are you that guy again?

To be totally fair sometimes the fights dont feel as visually engaging because of the lack of serious damage the characters recieve, with exception of people who can regenerate.

The sheer amount of injuries that look severe compared to those that dont is a bit of a gripe I can understand.

Characters would look this beat up and keep fighting looking like this: Image

but here, they end fights looking like this: Image

Which fight looks tougher by the visual communication of the damage and hardships the characters went through by what is told? Animation is as much a visual story as it is a written one, and things like this can give the impression that somehow, the fights in Z were harder by nature of the expressed injuries. Super could up its stakes in ways other than blood, like when 18 destroyed Vegeta's arm, but for some reason won't entertain the idea of these kind of body mangling injuries and that hurts the series when much earlier parts of the dragonball story had severe injuries that felt like the stakes were upped. Gohan's ruined arm in that final kamehameha clash with cell, goku's tournament fight with Piccolo junior, Vegeta as mentioned. I think really characters could do with looking like theyve sustained more battle damage or injuries to help.

I don't necessarily think blood is the way to go, but there are ways to make the fights feel more alive by adding injuries that are more several than anime hash line bruises and a black eye for vegeta in the TOP.

Appers

Post by Appers » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:41 am

While I don't particularly care either way about the exclusion of blood from the series or upcoming film I do agree with the above poster in the sense that it's not as "superficial" of a change as one might believe.

Blood makes injuries look painful, and also serves as a means of humanizing the characters by playing off of our evolutionary reflexes and making us empathize with them. A good example of this is when Vegeta actually did bleed when Hit struck his vitals in the anime. It really sold the idea that his blows were lethal and NOT something that he or Goku could afford to keep taking.

Like I said though, I don't really care either way, and I'm still going to enjoy the movie regardless of whether there's blood or not, but I think it's a bit silly to discount its importance in setting the tone and stakes for past fights in the series.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:17 am

Goku finally....... realizes that it's time to start looking towards a bright and fruitful career? :lol:

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 am

Goku finally regains his memories?

It's the only thing I can think of that could cause a stir like they're implying.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:28 am

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Are you that guy again?

To be totally fair sometimes the fights dont feel as visually engaging because of the lack of serious damage the characters recieve, with exception of people who can regenerate.

The sheer amount of injuries that look severe compared to those that dont is a bit of a gripe I can understand.

Characters would look this beat up and keep fighting looking like this: Image

but here, they end fights looking like this: Image

Which fight looks tougher by the visual communication of the damage and hardships the characters went through by what is told? Animation is as much a visual story as it is a written one, and things like this can give the impression that somehow, the fights in Z were harder by nature of the expressed injuries. Super could up its stakes in ways other than blood, like when 18 destroyed Vegeta's arm, but for some reason won't entertain the idea of these kind of body mangling injuries and that hurts the series when much earlier parts of the dragonball story had severe injuries that felt like the stakes were upped. Gohan's ruined arm in that final kamehameha clash with cell, goku's tournament fight with Piccolo junior, Vegeta as mentioned. I think really characters could do with looking like theyve sustained more battle damage or injuries to help.

I don't necessarily think blood is the way to go, but there are ways to make the fights feel more alive by adding injuries that are more several than anime hash line bruises and a black eye for vegeta in the TOP.
Honestly, the bottom since the clothes are torn off and Goku specifically has bandages and Vegeta missing a giant chuck of his armor, something not seen in Dragon Ball before, while the above just looks like Vegeta got a gash on his forehead.

A better visual example would be this:

Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:40 am

Goku finally kisses Chi-Chi :lol:

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:41 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
JulieYBM wrote:My guess is that Gokuu finally remembers his parents from before he left Planet Vegeta and their memory will help him slip back into the Secret of Selfishness after Gogeta fails to defeat Broli. This will contrast with Broli, who was raised by his parent and remembers what he was raised to believe: that he was the strongest Saiyan.
Doesn't last scene imply that fight is over and the film is wrapping up?
This. So i’d Think its either the puts on his Blue gi, he regains his Kakarot memories, he meets his parents somehow, or he finally surpasses Beerus for some reason.

I really hope he doesn’t mean the last scene of the fight because that would most likely meant “Goku finally” goes UI and it ends up being a Goku v Broly final battle even though this movie is advertising the battle as a “Collision of 3 Destinies” with includes Vegeta.

That would also mean Gogeta doesn’t get the W which also sucks
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

GT_Goten10
Beyond Newbie

Post by GT_Goten10 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:55 am

Hopefully Goku puts finally his Blue Gi it would look awesome especially with MUI
GT Fighter

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:19 am

Goku finally...grows as a person XP
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:19 am

Doctor. wrote:Goku finally regains his memories? It's the only thing I can think of that could cause a stir like they're implying.
But won't that make him... Bad? I'm not into Minus, but was Goku there good all along?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:21 am

Noah wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Goku finally regains his memories? It's the only thing I can think of that could cause a stir like they're implying.
But won't that make him... Bad? I'm not into Minus, but was Goku there good all along?
No, he fights Gohan when he lands and apparently stayed a troublemaker until he hit his head, that much Minus didn't retcon.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:28 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Noah wrote:
No, he fights Gohan when he lands and apparently stayed a troublemaker until he hit his head, that much Minus didn't retcon.
Yeah but troublemaker =/= evil.

Even if he were evil, I doubt 40+ years of being good would change just because he regained his memories. I can see it being used as a plot point for some sappy cringefest scene with Goku realizing the tragedy of his parents and that pushing him into UI as Jacob suggested (or leading into the next story arc, God forbid).

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:32 am

Doctor. wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Noah wrote:
Yeah but troublemaker =/= evil.

Even if he were evil, I doubt 40+ years of being good would change just because he regained his memories. I can see it being used as a plot point for some sappy cringefest scene with Goku realizing the tragedy of his parents and that pushing him into UI as Jacob suggested (or leading into the next story arc, God forbid).
Obviously the next arc is this:
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:41 am

ekrolo2 wrote:Obviously the next arc is this:
At least the art is good.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:42 am

Even if Goku got his memories back, there apparently isn't that much to remember and I can't see him caring about it all that much. He's never shown any particular concern about who his real parents are. Goku's what, close to 50? He has his own family and he came to terms with his Saiyan heritage a long time ago.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:51 am

BlueBasilisk wrote:Even if Goku got his memories back, there apparently isn't that much to remember and I can't see him caring about it all that much. He's never shown any particular concern about who his real parents are. Goku's what, close to 50? He has his own family and he came to terms with his Saiyan heritage a long time ago.
Vegeta should've stopped being a whiny bitch about Goku's superiority to him and that hasn't stopped Toriyama from retconing this away. If he's got a story in mind where Goku has to care about something he never did before, he won't let something like past events stop him.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:01 pm

Yeah, I have no doubt that if Toriyama wants to make Goku's past a point of focus for the character in the future, then he'll find a way to do so. I don't think he cares all that much about the integrity of what the character stands for anymore considering Minus wouldn't even be a thing if he did.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:03 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:Even if Goku got his memories back, there apparently isn't that much to remember and I can't see him caring about it all that much. He's never shown any particular concern about who his real parents are. Goku's what, close to 50? He has his own family and he came to terms with his Saiyan heritage a long time ago.
Vegeta should've stopped being a whiny bitch about Goku's superiority to him and that hasn't stopped Toriyama from retconing this away. If he's got a story in mind where Goku has to care about something he never did before, he won't let something like past events stop him.
I really hope that shit about Vegeta desperately trying to catch up to Goku from the early description of the movie is misleading. Vegeta and Goku were both left off in a good place. Vegeta decided on his own not to pursue Ultra Instinct anymore and he wasn't upset by Goku getting it. I don't want to see that snapped back.