Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

2018 Dragon Ball Film

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:14 pm

Here's the quote from Toei USA website:
Dragon Ball’s 20th feature film has been revealed! Today, news of the film was announced at Jump Festa 2018 in Japan. The film is currently in production, which will serve as a commemoration for decades of legendary titles. Since 1986, the series has introduced many memorable and beloved characters to countless die-hard fans. The recent years have witnessed a new wave of renaissance for the Dragon Ball series. “Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods”, released in 2013, was a welcomed return to the big screen for the first time in 17 years. “Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F” followed that up with more success in 2015. From then on, Dragon Ball has continued to further expand their world; leading to the current acclaimed broadcast, “Dragon Ball Super”.

The team behind the new film will be making intensive efforts to ensure that the scale and the quality is the best of the series. Akira Toriyama, the original author of Dragon Ball, will lead the original story, screenplay, and character design.

The theme for this remarkable new film will be “Saiyan”, the strongest race in the universe. Since “Battle of the Gods”, Goku has undergone new forms from Super Saiyan God to Super Saiyan Blue to other evolved forms that have gone up against many invincible warriors from multiple universes.  This new story will focus on the origin of the Saiyans’ strength and what it means to be Saiyan.

The 20th Dragon Ball film is currently targeted to be released in Japan in December 2018. Keep an eye out for more news in the near future!
The official website for the newly announced film is now open.
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: New movie announced for December 2018!

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:17 pm

We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:17 pm

But now I wonder... Will this movie have the title of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z or Dragon Ball Super?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: 2018 Dragon Ball Film

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:18 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:Here's the quote from Toei USA website:
Dragon Ball’s 20th feature film has been revealed! Today, news of the film was announced at Jump Festa 2018 in Japan. The film is currently in production, which will serve as a commemoration for decades of legendary titles. Since 1986, the series has introduced many memorable and beloved characters to countless die-hard fans. The recent years have witnessed a new wave of renaissance for the Dragon Ball series. “Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods”, released in 2013, was a welcomed return to the big screen for the first time in 17 years. “Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F” followed that up with more success in 2015. From then on, Dragon Ball has continued to further expand their world; leading to the current acclaimed broadcast, “Dragon Ball Super”.

The team behind the new film will be making intensive efforts to ensure that the scale and the quality is the best of the series. Akira Toriyama, the original author of Dragon Ball, will lead the original story, screenplay, and character design.

The theme for this remarkable new film will be “Saiyan”, the strongest race in the universe. Since “Battle of the Gods”, Goku has undergone new forms from Super Saiyan God to Super Saiyan Blue to other evolved forms that have gone up against many invincible warriors from multiple universes.  This new story will focus on the origin of the Saiyans’ strength and what it means to be Saiyan.

The 20th Dragon Ball film is currently targeted to be released in Japan in December 2018. Keep an eye out for more news in the near future!
Yep, definitely an origin movie.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:18 pm

A saiyan lore movie is way better than seeing vegeta go to another universe planet sadala and act like he gives such a crap about his race despite killing one of the last 3 members left and trying to kill the other one.

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:20 pm

Noah wrote:
The gr wrote:It doesn't make any sense if there is a formidable foe out there that will push our cast of saiyans in sadal,i much rather have an origin if anything as long there in Sadal,i won't be complaining.
Probably not in Sadla, but in the Universe 6.
precita wrote:I wonder if the movie will be canon. Even movies 14 and 15 got retconned (somewhat) when Super's episode adaptions changed things around a little.
The retellings don't make BoG and RoF less 'canon' in the anime continuity.
The fact that SSG Goku was around 70% of Beerus in the Movie while not anywhere close in the anime puts that statement into question.
Last edited by RichardKing2 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:20 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:A saiyan lore movie is way better than seeing vegeta go to another universe planet sadala and act like he gives such a crap...
It could be both actually.
RichardKing2 wrote:The fact that SSG Goku was around 70% of Beerus in the Movie while not anywhere close in the anime puts that statement into question.
I don't see the issue we could still assume Beerus was lying like he did it on Super
Last edited by Noah on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:21 pm

RichardKing2 wrote:
Noah wrote:
The gr wrote:It doesn't make any sense if there is a formidable foe out there that will push our cast of saiyans in sadal,i much rather have an origin if anything as long there in Sadal,i won't be complaining.
Probably not in Sadla, but in the Universe 6.
precita wrote:I wonder if the movie will be canon. Even movies 14 and 15 got retconned (somewhat) when Super's episode adaptions changed things around a little.
The retellings don't make BoG and RoF less 'canon' in the anime continuity.
The fact that SSG Goku was around 70% of Beerus in the Movie while not anywhere close in the anime puts that statement into question.
That 70% line was retconned for the revival f movie

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:21 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:That 70% line was retconned for the revival f movie
Care to elaborate? I've not heard that.
"Reign supreme? In your dreams; you'll never make me bow.
Kick my ass? I'm world-class and Super Saiyan now."

I BURN - Jeff Williams feat. Casey Lee Williams, RWBY Volume 1 Soundtrack

Supersaiyanbulla
Temporarily Banned

Post by Supersaiyanbulla » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:22 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:A saiyan lore movie is way better than seeing vegeta go to another universe planet sadala and act like he gives such a crap about his race despite killing one of the last 3 members left and trying to kill the other one.
He did give a crap just because he killed nappa didn't mean anything especially when nappa tried to kill goku.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:22 pm

Noah wrote:
BlueVegerot wrote:A saiyan lore movie is way better than seeing vegeta go to another universe planet sadala and act like he gives such a crap...
It could be both actually.
maybe but going to u6 wouldn't make sense to learn about u7 saiyan history although u6 saiyan history could be explored but considering they had never heard of super saiyan it makes you wonder if they ever had anything

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Why do they call it the 20th Dragonball movie? Are they counting the 4 Dragonball movies?

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:24 pm

precita wrote:Why do they call it the 20th Dragonball movie? Are they counting the 4 Dragonball movies?
They are counting every movie, dragon ball as a whole

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:24 pm

precita wrote:Why do they call it the 20th Dragonball movie? Are they counting the 4 Dragonball movies?
Correct. There were three Dragon Ball films, thirteen Dragon Ball Z films, another Dragon Ball film, and then the recent two Toriyama-penned films.

BlueVegerot
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by BlueVegerot » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:24 pm

Black Hawk wrote:
BlueVegerot wrote:That 70% line was retconned for the revival f movie
Care to elaborate? I've not heard that.
It wasn't directly stated but goku had surpassed ssg by a lot with ssb and freeza was far stronger than him and even he was scared shitless of beerus.

if ssg goku was 70% of beerus then ssb if even twice as strong as ssg would be beyond beerus and golden freeza beyond that

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:25 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:maybe but going to u6 wouldn't make sense to learn about u7 saiyan history although u6 saiyan history could be explored but considering they had never heard of super saiyan it makes you wonder if they ever had anything
Good point, but I wonder will they show primitive Saiyans that resided in Planet Sadla from U7? And how they destroyed they own homeworld and got into Planet Tuffle? I think I could be interested in that :think:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Black Hawk
Regular

Post by Black Hawk » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:26 pm

BlueVegerot wrote:if ssg goku was 70% of beerus then ssb if even twice as strong as ssg would be beyond beerus and golden freeza beyond that
He was actually approximately 60% of Beerus, according to Toriyama; 70% comes from Whis stating that it has been a while since Beerus was pushed to use 70% of his power. While I disagree with your interpretation, I respect your opinion; thank you for elaborating!

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:28 pm

The gap is widened even further in the anime.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:28 pm

Black Hawk wrote:Correct. There were three Dragon Ball films, thirteen Dragon Ball Z films, another Dragon Ball film, and then the recent two Toriyama-penned films.
Dragon Ball had four films and Dragon Ball Z had fifteen.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:30 pm

Now this I like. Movies going into the backstory are always fun