Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:01 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:Can Shintani please just take over as Dragon Ball's main animation director/supervisor for the future? I've liked literally everything he's done up to this point.
You mean a 5 seconds teaser? Come on, Takahashi is leap and bounds better than him.
The teaser wasn't animated by Shintani, bro, it's by Ryo Onishi
Get Fucked, C_unt

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:26 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:Can Shintani please just take over as Dragon Ball's main animation director/supervisor for the future? I've liked literally everything he's done up to this point.
You mean a 5 seconds teaser? Come on, Takahashi is leap and bounds better than him.
1. That wasn't Shintani that animated that teaser. :lol: :lol:
2. Obviously, you didn't get what my comment meant. :lol: :lol: :lol: I"m talking character models; it means I prefer Shintani over a regressed Yamamuro as an animation supervisor, not that he's the best animator I've ever seen. Takahashi isn't an animation supervisor for Dragon Ball :lol:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:24 am

jeffbr92 wrote:
YamiGoku wrote:New Teaser!

[spoiler]Goku gets a new transformation!!![/spoiler]
FUCK, I can't believe we having this again!
I completely fell for it before looking at the link. :lol: I guess for now it's not true. :sick:
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:50 am

Vegeta_Sama wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
I think people seriously over rate Takahashi.

Takahashi is an absolutely fantastic talent, however, guys like Ryo Onishi, are definitely stronger animators than Takahashi on a purely technical level at least. Love me some Takahashi dragon ball art though, I think he is at least the animator with the firmest grasp on perfectly replicating the style of the old Z movies. Definitely can't knock him in that regard.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:16 am

sintzu wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
YamiGoku wrote:New Teaser!

[spoiler]Goku gets a new transformation!!![/spoiler]
FUCK, I can't believe we having this again!
I completely fell for it before looking at the link. :lol: I guess for now it's not true. :sick:

Sorry. :lol:

Amir
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Amir » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:30 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:

Takahashi is an absolutely fantastic talent, however, guys like Ryo Onishi, are definitely stronger animators than Takahashi on a purely technical level at least. Love me some Takahashi dragon ball art though, I think he is at least the animator with the firmest grasp on perfectly replicating the style of the old Z movies. Definitely can't knock him in that regard.
I actually think Takahashi is underrated for his ki animation though.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Sometimes I forget this movie is even coming out, due the lack of news.
If it ain't for the new character designs, I would be thinking at this point the movie would be the first teaser in loop for 2 hours.

I expect more character designs this month and finally the poster next month.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:39 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Sometimes I forget this movie is even coming out, due the lack of news.
If it ain't for the new character designs, I would be thinking at this point the movie would be the first teaser in loop for 2 hours.

Just that? I’m expecting a trailer this summer. Maybe the next batch of character sheets will feature something new whether it be a new character, planet, etc. They did say that the DB North American Tour from July to October will feature exclusive footage of the movie. If I'm being honest though, in terms of reveals, nothing would make me happier if the next batch of designs showed the U6 saiyans. I REALLY want them in this movie. The only thing that gives me doubt is the fact that Kale and Caulifla weren’t planned by Toriyama so he might not care about them as much as someone like Cabba who he made himself.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:38 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:Sometimes I forget this movie is even coming out, due the lack of news.

Just that? I’m expecting a trailer this summer. Maybe the next batch of character sheets will feature something new whether it be a new character, planet, etc. They did say that the DB North American Tour from July to October will feature exclusive footage of the movie. If I'm being honest though, in terms of reveals, nothing would make me happier if the next batch of designs showed the U6 saiyans. I REALLY want them in this movie. The only thing that gives me doubt is the fact that Kale and Caulifla weren’t planned by Toriyama so he might not care about them as much as someone like Cabba who he made himself.
I agree about a new trailer this summer but I don't know about Universe 6 being involved in this movie.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:08 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: If I'm being honest though, in terms of reveals, nothing would make me happier if the next batch of designs showed the U6 saiyans. I REALLY want them in this movie. The only thing that gives me doubt is the fact that Kale and Caulifla weren’t planned by Toriyama so he might not care about them as much as someone like Cabba who he made himself.
I also want more of U6 Saiyans and it would make sense they appear in this movie considering the theme, but if Toriyama doesn't care about them theres nothing we can do.

Jaco's inclusion in ROF still feels forced as hell, but since Toriyama liked the character he forced him down in our throats. Even though the majority of people watching ROF were questioning themselves - Who is this guy?! And since when Bulma know him?! - because not many people read his manga. They could have Kaio/Kibitoshin/Elder kai warning the main cast that Freeza was coming, for example.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:41 pm

I want more Cabba and Vegeta interactions. I love those scenes

TheShadowEmperor8055
Regular

Post by TheShadowEmperor8055 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:50 pm

JazzMazz wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:

I love Takahashi's art, but I'm inclined to agree.

Looking back at the modern era of Yamamuro, Takahashi has the best art in my opinion. But not the best animation. For the animator who is the best at animation (in other words, creating the illusion of movement, with the most fluidity with said movement), I would give it to Tate, given he purposely sacrifices the quality of his art for more loose movement. And the animator with the best combination of art and animation is by far Shida to me. Can't wait to see all three animators go wild with Shintani's model designs.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:32 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote: The teaser wasn't animated by Shintani, bro, it's by Ryo Onishi

I love Takahashi's art, but I'm inclined to agree.

Looking back at the modern era of Yamamuro, Takahashi has the best art in my opinion. But not the best animation. For the animator who is the best at animation (in other words, creating the illusion of movement, with the most fluidity with said movement), I would give it to Tate, given he purposely sacrifices the quality of his art for more loose movement. And the animator with the best combination of art and animation is by far Shida to me. Can't wait to see all three animators go wild with Shintani's model designs.
To be honest Tate doesn't really sacrifice his art, he just goes for simpler shapes and shading and overall less details, which allow him to portray fluid animation better. I have personally become a big fan of Tate's art, and I don't consider his art to lack quality at all. He just deviated a lot from the model sheets, which resulted in his art popping up because of how different it looked.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:09 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:More HQ scans of the same character designs:
Massive difference in the colouring of blue, not as dark as implied from the camera scan:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Not surprising whenever I try to take a pic of SSGSS from my phone it always makes it darker blue for some reason. Very relieved.

I suspect SSGSS will be marketed a lot prior to the movies release, it was used for every arc after BoG for the series and I love SSGSS but it got the point even I was overwhelmed lol.

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:46 pm

TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:I'm talking character models; it means I prefer Shintani over a regressed Yamamuro as an animation supervisor, not that he's the best animator I've ever seen. Takahashi isn't an animation supervisor for Dragon Ball :lol:
Oh I see, could you give examples of DB Shintani models/animation?
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I suspect SSGSS will be marketed a lot prior to the movies release, it was used for every arc after BoG for the series and I love SSGSS but it got the point even I was overwhelmed lol.
I agree also some people can't wait for SSJBE design to pop up:

Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:14 am

Not gonna jump in this rabbit hole but if SSJBE is what someone is waiting for, this movie is most certainly not where they will find it..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:27 am

Amir wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Vegeta_Sama wrote: The teaser wasn't animated by Shintani, bro, it's by Ryo Onishi

I actually think Takahashi is underrated for his ki animation though.
I'm not devaluing Takahashi's skill as a key animator, his absolutely wonderful. I don't think anyone would deny that. I just don't think his body of work, and the output of his body of work is comparable to animators like Ryo Onishi, who are just mind bogglingly good.
jeffbr92 wrote:
TheShadowEmperor8055 wrote:I'm talking character models; it means I prefer Shintani over a regressed Yamamuro as an animation supervisor, not that he's the best animator I've ever seen. Takahashi isn't an animation supervisor for Dragon Ball :lol:
Oh I see, could you give examples of DB Shintani models/animation?
As of now, there really aren't any examples of DB animation that have utilized and stayed close to Shintani's designs for the characters. That should change though with the release of a trailer, which should be coming sometime in July.

Though its not necessarily what your specified, I think its worth noting that there is a high probability that Shintani could have a prominent role as key animator on the film. With this in mind, I think its perfectly reasonable to reflect on the kind of output Shintani is capable of.
This scene by him on the 3d2y One Piece special is a personal favourite of mine, when discussing his body of work. I think it gives a good idea of his style, and what his capable of.
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:44 am

Ki Breaker wrote:Not gonna jump in this rabbit hole but if SSJBE is what someone is waiting for, this movie is most certainly not where they will find it..
I wouldn't be so sure about it. While Toriyama's script may not specify it, considering this movie takes place after the anime events of the Tournament of Power it wouldn't surprise me if Goku uses the Kaioken and Vegeta his new form. Toriyama gave them the ok to use those in the anime so I don't get why he wouldn't be ok with those forms appearing in the movie too, as long as they don't impact the story.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:49 am

emperior wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:Not gonna jump in this rabbit hole but if SSJBE is what someone is waiting for, this movie is most certainly not where they will find it..
I wouldn't be so sure about it. While Toriyama's script may not specify it, considering this movie takes place after the anime events of the Tournament of Power it wouldn't surprise me if Goku uses the Kaioken and Vegeta his new form. Toriyama gave them the ok to use those in the anime so I don't get why he wouldn't be ok with those forms appearing in the movie too, as long as they don't impact the story.
Like I've been saying all along Toriyama doesn't script action even if he didn't come up with those ideas nothing is stopping Toei including them in action scenes at all (just see how different anime and manga are even as far back as the ResF film promo stuff) and like you said if he didn't come up with them then he definitely okayed them.

Like how everyone jumps at Toei's throat for Kale yet conveniently forgets that not only Toriyma okayed her but made Caulifla alongside her. Or Toriyama using Toei's idea for SSG/GoD.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:57 am

Actually, there's supposed to be a new trailer next month(?) on the Dragon Ball North America Tour.
Feels over Reals.