Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:42 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Was it Daman Mills who voiced Freeza on FUNi's dub? Hard to distinguish the two because they sound nearly identical.
Nope. 100% Chris Ayres in the movie.
https://twitter.com/Chrisayresva/status ... 35041?s=19

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:15 am

I'm actually kinda surprised by how well this film is doing with critics. It's got an 81% on Rotten Tomatoes with 47 reviews counted. Since the film is a limited release, film with 40+ critic reviews, has a percentage of 75+ and are in a limited run actually counts as a 'Certified Fresh' rating. They just haven't updated it yet.

I've noticed that pretty much all of the negative critic reviews come from people who aren't familiar with Dragon Ball and just decided to watch the film. Their reactions are somewhat understandable since they know next to nothing about Dragon Ball's plot, but that's like going into Infinity War without having seen any of the MCU films. It just doesn't work.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:35 am

Nightmare Wheel wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:Was it Daman Mills who voiced Freeza on FUNi's dub? Hard to distinguish the two because they sound nearly identical.
Nope. 100% Chris Ayres in the movie.
https://twitter.com/Chrisayresva/status ... 35041?s=19
speaking of Daman Mills, he's listed as voicing a saiyan named Moroko, was that the guy who told Nappa about the planet Vegeta comet incident? Or was it the other saiyan with only one line?

Trying to work out who those two are by voice

WeLoveBroly

Post by WeLoveBroly » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:35 am

So why couldn't Broly get off the planet? Since saiyans can breathe in space? Surely he was powerful enough to do it and just carry Paragus or something

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:21 pm

WeLoveBroly wrote:So why couldn't Broly get off the planet? Since saiyans can breathe in space? Surely he was powerful enough to do it and just carry Paragus or something
No this is very wrong.

Saiyans very explicitly CAN'T breathe in space. This was how Vegeta died back in RoF when Freeza blew up Earth. It's bee made clear that they do still need to breathe air. Granted, they can breathe very thin air, but they still need it.

WeLoveBroly

Post by WeLoveBroly » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:24 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
WeLoveBroly wrote:So why couldn't Broly get off the planet? Since saiyans can breathe in space? Surely he was powerful enough to do it and just carry Paragus or something
No this is very wrong.

Saiyans very explicitly CAN'T breathe in space. This was how Vegeta died back in RoF when Freeza blew up Earth. It's bee made clear that they do still need to breathe air. Granted, they can breathe very thin air, but they still need it.
I know that Bardock confronting Freeza in space isn't canon anymore but I'm pretty sure Goku and Beerus fought in space and that there was no air in that pocket space Gogeta and Broly ended up in
Last edited by WeLoveBroly on Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:29 pm

WeLoveBroly wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:
No this is very wrong.

I know that Bardock cknfrinting Freeza in space isn't canon anymore but I'm pretty sure Goku and Beerus fought in space and that there was no air in that pocket space Gogeta and Broly ended up in
Look, thinking about it hard enough, you can obviously find the logical gaps in almost anything.

But in terms of narrative consistency and broad strokes, all Saiyans are depicted as not able to breathe in a vacuum like Freeza; they can still breathe in the very edges of atmosphere, like Goku did when he fought Beerus. That much is certain. So it's not a plot hole that Broly couldn't fly him and his dad off of Planet Vampa.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:33 pm

WeLoveBroly wrote:I know that Bardock confronting Freeza in space isn't canon anymore but I'm pretty sure Goku and Beerus fought in space and that there was no air in that pocket space Gogeta and Broly ended up in
Both Bardock's stand against Freeza (which is canon) and Goku/Beerus battle are set in the upper atmosphere of planet Vegeta and Earth, respectively.

WeLoveBroly

Post by WeLoveBroly » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:35 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
WeLoveBroly wrote:I know that Bardock confronting Freeza in space isn't canon anymore but I'm pretty sure Goku and Beerus fought in space and that there was no air in that pocket space Gogeta and Broly ended up in
Both Bardock's stand against Freeza (which is canon) and Goku/Beerus battle are set in the upper atmosphere of planet Vegeta and Earth, respectively.
How can Bardock's stand against Freeza be canon after this film? It's just about impossible

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:38 pm

WeLoveBroly wrote:How can Bardock's stand against Freeza be canon after this film? It's just about impossible
What?!

a) It's shown in this film.
b) It was established in the manga for decades.
c) There's nothing in this film or in any other previous work that ever contradicted it or prevented it from being canon.

WeLoveBroly

Post by WeLoveBroly » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:47 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote:
WeLoveBroly wrote:How can Bardock's stand against Freeza be canon after this film? It's just about impossible
What?!

a) It's shown in this film.
b) It was established in the manga for decades.
c) There's nothing in this film or in any other previous work that ever contradicted it or prevented it from being canon.
In this film he dies with his wife on planet vegeta and fires a ki blast at the death ball. He never has a confrontation with Frieza nor is King Vegeta's coup anywhere to be seen. I like the film but it is an obvious retcon to what took place before.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:55 pm

WeLoveBroly wrote:In this film he dies with his wife on planet vegeta and fires a ki blast at the death ball.
No, he doesn't die with his wife. Gine is on the planet, like the rest of the Saiyans. While Bardock makes a stand against Freeza in the upper atmosphere. Same in the manga. Same in the TV Special (which is not canon, but is what served as inspiration for the setting to begin with). Nothing was changed in that regard.
WeLoveBroly wrote:He never has a confrontation with Frieza nor is King Vegeta's coup anywhere to be seen.
What King Vegeta's coup?
WeLoveBroly wrote:I like the film but it is an obvious retcon to what took place before.
There's no retcon. What we see him doing in this film is what has always been established in the manga.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:56 pm

WeLoveBroly wrote:In this film he dies with his wife on planet vegeta and fires a ki blast at the death ball. He never has a confrontation with Frieza nor is King Vegeta's coup anywhere to be seen. I like the film but it is an obvious retcon to what took place before.
He dies on his way to Freeza, battle damaged, infront of Freeza's ship, surrounded by Freeza's soldiers. None of what led to that moment was shown, but from what we got, we can definitely assume a confrontation was happening, and his stand was not retconned. We'll have to wait for an extended version for more.

Screenshots:

WeLoveBroly

Post by WeLoveBroly » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:06 pm

mute_proxy wrote:
WeLoveBroly wrote:In this film he dies with his wife on planet vegeta and fires a ki blast at the death ball. He never has a confrontation with Frieza nor is King Vegeta's coup anywhere to be seen. I like the film but it is an obvious retcon to what took place before.
He dies on his way to Freeza, battle damaged, infront of Freeza's ship, surrounded by Freeza's soldiers. None of what led to that moment was shown, but from what we got, we can definitely assume a confrontation was happening, and his stand was not retconned. We'll have to wait for an extended version for more.

Screenshots:

Dragon Ball Super: Broly' Confirms Goku's 'Minus' Origin is Canon

https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/10/04/ ... ted-child/

They also retconned what Kid Vegeta looked like even though he appeared in chapter 3 of super in 2015 and the show as well. Perhaps retconning is needed to tell a better story in some instance or to add to it. At first it was thought the Saiyan's were a bunch of cavemen before Freeza showed up and took them under his wing, but now we know they were a well established civilization long before Freeza

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:12 pm

WeLoveBroly wrote:

They also retconned what Kid Vegeta looked like even though he appeared in chapter 3 of super in 2015 and the show as well. Perhaps retconning is needed to tell a better story in some instance or to add to it. At first it was thought the Saiyan's were a bunch of cavemen before Freeza showed up and took them under his wing, but now we know they were a well established civilization long before Freeza
Nothing you say contradicts Bardock's confrontation. It happened in the movie as I mentioned above and provided screenshots. Also Minus states that a month passes after Goku's departure before Freeza blows up the planet. That's a lot of time. Also also, you're confusing filler with canon. The manga never mentioned anything about saiyans origins or them being cavemen. Super's depiction of kid Vegeta was based on an older iteration shown in DBZ, not in the manga either.

WeLoveBroly

Post by WeLoveBroly » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:24 pm

mute_proxy wrote:
WeLoveBroly wrote:

Nothing you say contradicts Bardock's confrontation. It happened in the movie as I mentioned above and provided screenshots. Also Minus states that a month passes after Goku's departure before Freeza blows up the planet. That's a lot of time. Also also, you're confusing filler with canon. The manga never mentioned anything about saiyans origins or them being cavemen. Super's depiction of kid Vegeta was based on an older iteration shown in DBZ, not in the manga either.
So Frieza gathered everyone and waited around doing nothing for a whole month? What lol, i think saiyan's origins were mentioned in the saiyan saga in a flashback showing them trading wirh an unknown race wearing primitive clothing but that might be anime filler not certain on that one.

Regarding vegeta, the dbs anime is also part of the main canon so if it's in the super anime it is canon to the main story any discrepancy is ultimately a retcon.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:27 pm

In the subbed did Gogeta refer to Vegetto by name too? I can't remember but I know he did in the dub. If so does that imply Goku and Vegeta retain memories of their fusions and Gogeta somehow has those memories too, to the point he remembers Vegetto naming himself? Could explain why Gogeta didn't follow the same mistakes Vegetto did against Zamasu.

Also did Gogeta refer to Goku as Kakarot in the subbed too? Seemed odd to me that he'd call himself Gogeta and then say I am the fusion of Kakarot and Vegeta... But then again didn't Vegetto refer to Goku as Goku?

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:35 pm

WeLoveBroly wrote:So Frieza gathered everyone and waited around doing nothing for a whole month?
No, he waited one month to gather everyone. All of this is explained in the movie (and in Minus).
WeLoveBroly wrote:Regarding vegeta, the dbs anime is also part of the main canon so if it's in the super anime it is canon to the main story any discrepancy is ultimately a retcon.
There's no retcon. And none of this has anything to do with your original argument that Saiyans can survive in space.
Last edited by Luso Saiyan on Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:39 pm

WeLoveBroly wrote:So Frieza gathered everyone and waited around doing nothing for a whole month? What lol, i think saiyan's origins were mentioned in the saiyan saga in a flashback showing them trading wirh an unknown race wearing primitive clothing but that might be anime filler not certain on that one.

Regarding vegeta, the dbs anime is also part of the main canon so if it's in the super anime it is canon to the main story any discrepancy is ultimately a retcon.
Yet again, as I said before, we don't know how things led to that moment (during that month), but we can see a confrontation is happening. The primitive saiyans were anime filler.

DBS anime is filled with filler as was Z. Toriyama's outlines are the main canon, everything else is Toei's interpretation and writing. It's canon to the anime itself, which can be very easily rewritten by the man if he sees it fit.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:02 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:In the subbed did Gogeta refer to Vegetto by name too?

But then again didn't Vegetto refer to Goku as Goku?
Gogeeta does mention the Potara fusion's name, yes.

No, he said he was the fusion between Kakarrot and Vegeeta.