Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Michsi
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Michsi » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:06 am

Despite this being the most impressive looking trailer, my reaction this time was rather lukewarm. I'm a big fan of fight scenes, but story is really important for me too, and I feel like I already know what's going to happen in this movie plot wise. If the Minus part of the movie is the most story/character driven out of the whole thing, then I can't say I'm happy about that :/

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:25 am

Man, they're going hard on showing off Takahashi. I love the guy, but they really need to show more of the other animators' work, and a hell of a lot less of the CG. As long as I live, I'll never be able to think CG trying to look like 2D animation looks good.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:38 am

Son-Kakaroto wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:I'm glad that the trailer didn't spoil much and instead tried to just be pure hype.

I feel like, with a lot of trailers, they tend to spoil literally everything about whats going to happen in the film, but this trailer only slightly teased at some things, and left other stuff ambiguous.

Well, at least we now know how Broly his going to screw over the planet...

Anyway, they definitely raised my intrigue about how the fights were going to play out in the film, and definitely seems to be living up to the hype about best animated DB film(aside the meh CGI).
I didn't really find the animation that captivating. I still think movie 12 had the best animation. Movie 8, 9 and 10 were good too.
I mean, those movies, while having nice stuff, weren't really overtly animated, and I think, even just based on the trailers, that this movie has those movies covered in terms of animation(as expected) and them some.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:09 am

The action scenes were fantastic and the CG didn't feel intrusive at all but I'm still worried about the story. I'm not a fan of the "Broly a good boy, he dindu nuffin" narrative they're pushing. I swear if they ruin Paragus and make him irredeemable.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:33 am

so some guy on youtube in geekdom101 channel mention that he believe Whiss gonna stall broly on purpose just let goku / vegeta to fuse which look like it possible.

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:39 am

When do you think the English dub of trailer 3 will drop?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:46 am

supersaiyandoctor wrote:When do you think the English dub of trailer 3 will drop?
FUNi provided IGN with a subbed one as opposed to a dubbed one instead, they're in the middle of recording the film so probably didn't want to record trailer only stuff again.

Maybe once they're finished they may cut and make the dubbed trailer.

Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:39 am

JazzMazz wrote:
Son-Kakaroto wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:I'm glad that the trailer didn't spoil much and instead tried to just be pure hype.

I feel like, with a lot of trailers, they tend to spoil literally everything about whats going to happen in the film, but this trailer only slightly teased at some things, and left other stuff ambiguous.

Anyway, they definitely raised my intrigue about how the fights were going to play out in the film, and definitely seems to be living up to the hype about best animated DB film(aside the meh CGI).
I didn't really find the animation that captivating. I still think movie 12 had the best animation. Movie 8, 9 and 10 were good too.
I mean, those movies, while having nice stuff, weren't really overtly animated, and I think, even just based on the trailers, that this movie has those movies covered in terms of animation(as expected) and them some.
The artstyle and movement of characters was much better asthetically for me.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:46 am

Son-Kakaroto wrote:
JazzMazz wrote:
Son-Kakaroto wrote: I didn't really find the animation that captivating. I still think movie 12 had the best animation. Movie 8, 9 and 10 were good too.
The artstyle and movement of characters was much better asthetically for me.
I mean, the art in those films is great, but movement wise, its definitely not as well done. In this trailer alone, you could see a far greater attention to detail in little movements like clothes(Goku's jacket flying off) and secondary movement in how the complete an action that was not as apparent or well executed in prior Z films.

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:02 am

I could say I'm also disappointed in the trailer not having that much story, but seeing the full result of DBS' story, maybe is for the best, they're really bad at story telling, specially the fucking anime.
PFM18 wrote: The fact that they DIDNT tire out quickly was the reason they were able to beat Freeza. That was a plot point. The manga royally fucked that up as per usual
As per usual?

Have you seen the anime?

The inconsistencies are too many in there, the manga version makes way more sense, plus less asspulls.

Goku talked about SSB's energy draining issue in the anime, only to be completely ignored in the next episode, and as if it wasn't bad enough, they added Kaiō-Ken on top of it.

Then they completely forgot about it through FT arc, but suddenly remember it at ToP.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Tsufuru
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tsufuru » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:09 am

Son-Kakaroto wrote:

this is by faaaar the best looking movie.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:23 am

That was one epic trailer for sure. The action in this film is going to be epic.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:27 am

Melkaniator wrote:I could say I'm also disappointed in the trailer not having that much story, but seeing the full result of DBS' story, maybe is for the best, they're really bad at story telling, specially the fucking anime.
PFM18 wrote: The fact that they DIDNT tire out quickly was the reason they were able to beat Freeza. That was a plot point. The manga royally fucked that up as per usual
As per usual?

Have you seen the anime?

The inconsistencies are too many in there, the manga version makes way more sense, plus less asspulls.

Goku talked about SSB's energy draining issue in the anime, only to be completely ignored in the next episode, and as if it wasn't bad enough, they added Kaiō-Ken on top of it.

Then they completely forgot about it through FT arc, but suddenly remember it at ToP.
Don't derail the thread with this nonsense.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:32 am

Trailer looked cool, but there really wasn't a lot of substance to it. Cheelai's line and Whis getting involved were the only real notable hooks, the rest was just incredibly good looking action. Which isn't bad, but I know this movie's going to be pretty. I don't need more reminders.

Also, if this is the last trailer, would it really kill them to throw in at least a hint of Gogeta? I know people don't want it spoiled, but without any build-up, I'm worried it's going to come out of nowhere in the movie itself.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:37 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
I don’t think Blizzard will be an insert song. It’ll most likely play during the credits.
I read somewhere that it will be the insert song and chala head chala will be the credits song.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:25 am

IM21 wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
I don’t think Blizzard will be an insert song. It’ll most likely play during the credits.
I read somewhere that it will be the insert song and chala head chala will be the credits song.
Head Cha La is going to be the film's opening title theme, just like with BoG and 'F'.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:38 am

Personally I wasn’t convinced that they would already redeem Broly in this movie one of their most popular villains. But now with Goku’s “he’s not a bad guy” line and this recent interview from Nozawa maybe redeeming Broly is going to be part of the story. I am still not convinced Broly will join the main cast though but I can see him becoming good now by the end of this film maybe with Goku’s influence.

viewtopic.php?t=43043

I think that is the most interesting thought I have from this trailer.

Also I am personally worried about Whis’ involvement. I love him as a character but not as a plot device. I want Goku & Vegeta to have to solve this on their own with no help from divine intervention.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:23 am

Between the blank white eyes and the double yellow/green auras, Super Saiyan Broly looks an awful lot like Super Saiyan Rage Trunks. :think: It'd be hilarious if Toriyama accidentally justified that.

I'm really wowed by the aura effects in this movie. They're the most detailed and complex we've ever had in the series but they don't get in the way of the character art. I hope that design choice sticks around for any series to follow.

Whis' involvement is very curious. He's certainly in the molten area where the battle is taking place but he's never actually in frame with another character.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:42 am

My opinion on this trailer is that is good but really focused on the second act of the film. I see my boy Tate so that's good. Blizzard sounds fine but I think I need to wait before I give my final take on it. The cgi looks really fine and I see that they added armor to Freeza in the new trailer. The last shot of full power Broly looks like Kawasawa to me but Ajay thinks Takahashi so I'm going to roll with that. I'm very interested in Broly's character by what Goku and Chylele said. That Broly isn't a bad person and doesn't want to fight. I just hope that Shintani stays with Dragon Ball because he need him so much.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:58 am

I think I've figured out how Whis is involved in this film. So that entire lava setting is the snowy place but completely decimated by Broly. The fight could destroy the planet. Whis notices this and decides to send Goku, Vegeta and Broly to go fight it out in another dimension. Remember when Whis sent Goku and Vegeta to that weird place to go train in the Resurrection 'F' arc?

Check out the background of this shot with Full Power Broly...
That does not look like the volcanic setting that we've seen so far. There was a DBMFL interview with the CG crew for the film not too long ago where they spoke about a different dimension in the film that was only possible through CG. I have a very strong feeling that the final battle for the film will take place there.