Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:08 am

What's the point of having any new enemies when Whis can just kill them or buy time for whatever new asspull Goku and Vegeta have in store that week?

It's the same goddamn problems as RoF again.
Last edited by Doctor. on Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:10 am

TheOne wrote:
GTx10 wrote:Krillin is not in this movie. He's been in every Broly movie but this one and I'd rather have him in the film than Goten and Kid Trunks.
You guys need to make up your mind. You complain about Trunks and Gotens lack of relevancy throughout Super, but turn around and complain about their potential involvement in a movie about saiyans and their history?

Krillin is useless and has no importance to the series at this point.
1st: Check my posting history because I've never yelled for Goten and Kid Trunks to be used in anything Super related. Hell I've defended Yamamuro's art style far more than anything Goten and Kid Trunks related.

2nd: At least Krillin was in the ToP, and considering that one of the new characters is looked at as the "weak guy looking at the strong fighters" I'd say Krillin fits that bill nicely. Plus Krillin's moves are far more flashy, unique, and classic than anything Son Goku and Vegeta are throwing out.

3rd: This movie has winks and nods meant for us and yet the one guy who has been in every Broly movie is missing? If he can play a role in BoG and RF then why not here? Shenron is here and he's literally a Deus Ex Machina.

4th: I was merely pointing out that Krillin was absent for a Broly movie and that I think he would be more entertaining than the boys because of the reasons I stated.

(Sorry if I snapped but your post sent me off, much like Goku's crying upsets Broly.)
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:14 am

BrolyKale wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:Not a fan of the plot... I think the first Broly movie was way more interesting and more tragic story wise.
How could you possibly draw this conclusion already?
I've just read the spoilers... that's it. It's not definitive too, I can change my mind once I see the movie, we will see.
We don't actually have the whole movie spoiled yet, though. Not even close. That's all I'm saying.

And story wise I dont know how it could possibly do worse than the first Broly movie.
Doctor. wrote:What's the point of having any new enemies when Whis can just kill them or buy time for whatever new asspull Goku and Vegeta have in store that week?

It's the same goddamn problems as RoF again.
Because Whis briefly dodges Broly at some ambiguous point in the movie we have the same issues as RoF? Jesus dude, you could at least try to give this movie a chance.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:20 am

PFM18 wrote:Because Whis briefly dodges Broly at some ambiguous point in the movie we have the same issues as RoF? Jesus dude, you could at least try to give this movie a chance.
Because Whis, who is friendly toward Goku and Vegeta and has no problem helping them, can easily toy with Broly as visibly proven by the movie, and can rewind time in case the two fuck up, is even present at the battlefield means it has the exact same problems of lacking tension and stakes as RoF. The excuse that "Gods don't help" is just convenient hypocrisy considering the amount of times they've helped already and how close their relationship should be by this point.

I don't believe in "giving a chance" when nothing I've seen sounds exciting.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:28 am

We don't actually have the whole movie spoiled yet, though. Not even close. That's all I'm saying.

And story wise I dont know how it could possibly do worse than the first Broly movie.
Well, if that's how things are going, I'd say it is worse than the first Broly movie, because the old movie only lasted 40mins and so, this movie is 100mins... if you can't give a better plot than this
I don't know, doesn't look too interesting for a movie that will last 100mins or so.

But like I said, I can change my mind, I have not seen the movie yet, so I won't say much right now.
Last edited by BrolyKale on Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:30 am

omaro34 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
omaro34 wrote:So outside of Goku and Vegeta, no other Z fighter does anything of relevance in this film.

No Buu, 17, 18, Gohan, Krillin, Tien, Gotenks, Roshi, etc

And the guys who do make an appearance like Piccolo of course do absolutely positively nothing.

And no fighter from another universe either.

The only thing I'm looking forward to is the flashbacks as seeing the Ginyu force, Bardock, King Cold, King Vegeta, etc will be interesting.

I'll watch the film because I know the action and animation will be amazing but I'm not super excited.
Piccolo teaches Vegeta the fusion dance, that's about as useful as he was during the Buu arc.

what did you expect? All of the other character's time has passed really, and they are no longer relevant characters in combat and don't seem to have any usefulness in this context.
I expected something different but I guess its asking too much. We've seen the Goku and Vegeta tag team time and time again. It's nothing new and not interesting imo.

17 has God level strength and fought God tier opponents valiantly, he would have been helpful against Broly. A good portion of the fandom misses Piccolo's role as a fighter. There are many ways to make him stronger but it never happens.

Goten and Trunks never age and that shows how important they are. And in a movie about Saiyans and their history they aren't even given a role.

Buu's gag of always sleeping will probably occur in this movie but it's not funny anymore. I'm not gonna mention the earthlings, and don't get me started on Gohan.

I'm not saying other characters should defeat the villain,
but my point is the cast could have been used better imo.

Freeza will be a cool element in the film though.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Why would Toriyama/Toei/Toyotaro give A17 and Gohan SSB level power-ups if they aren't going to use them again after the ToP? Its wasteful writing to phase them out like that.

Is it really that important to Toriyama for Goten and Present Trunks not to age (even though the End of Z is approaching)?

There's a lot narrative wise that could be done with Buu, yet Toriyama chooses to keep milking the not-funny gag of him falling asleep.

And it makes no sense how Piccolo has been useless both narrative-wise and as a fighter after the Cell Games. Being allegedly Toriyama's favorite character, you'd think Toriyama would come up with ways to keep him relevant since then, considering how easy it actually is.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:32 am

You guys bitching about plot of the movie, fucking enjoy the movie be happy there dragon ball still around lol, haven't seen this whining since the last movie Revival of F

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:34 am

It's not bitching, we are just sharing our opinions... who said we won't enjoy the movie?
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:39 am

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the action if nothing else. I couldn't even enjoy that in ResF.

Noitsnothim
Regular

Post by Noitsnothim » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:50 am

It seems very odd that spoilers would leak this early 3 days before the private screening (not saying the info Geekdom got is fake or anything)

But I think some of these "Spoilers" aren't true and here's why:

1. the portion with fusion and teaching it feels highly ripped from Fusion Reborn (Too Much Fanservice might I add)

2. Bardock getting a lot more screen time doesn't feel true I feel like we would have saw more of him in the 2nd trailer but instead we got more of planet vegeta and the fathers of the fated 3 saiyans

3. Beerus not doing anything absolutely seems bs I feel like he'd actually put in his two cents and actually get involved considering Broly's power is supposed to be more destructive than a god of destruction (but I believe it was more in the form of a question)

4. Goten and Trunks not getting involved gotta be a lie they're in the promo material and even got posters of themselves

5. there's no way Piccolo is just used to teach vegeta the fusion, I'm sure he's bound to either get into a fight with frieza soldiers or Paragus

6. Whis laughing at broly just because he can't touch him seems out of character, Whis (from my knowledge) never once laughed at Goku or vegeta because they couldn't touch him during their training sesh, I believe he only laughs because he sees them realizing the difference in his power compared to theirs

7. all of the "spoilers" sound too fan fictiony and Unoriginal

If the ending spoiler is true however I am okay with it considering that it suits the theme of the film and actually makes it deep rather than tragic

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:52 am

I wonder what kind of battle music themes the movie is going to use. TOEI always got that on lock for DB.
Last edited by Miracles on Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:58 am

vashter wrote:You guys bitching about plot of the movie, fucking enjoy the movie be happy there dragon ball still around lol, haven't seen this whining since the last movie Revival of F
1. "Just enjoy it, it's better than nothing" is a terrible take to anything. It's a deflection of any and all criticism. That's the sort of mentality that defends Berserk 2016 and Sonic 2006. (why do the worst entries in series always have the year they were made in their tile?)
2. I definitely saw worse bitching than this during Super's run, constantly.

Additionally however, I think RoF's lack of tension was partially due to Whis and Beerus, but it was much more than anything a directorial issue, with the general tone and structure of the movie being bland and predictable enough that Freeza didn't feel like a threat regardless of Beerus and Whis's presence. I say that as someone who enjoyed RoF and is most certainly going to like this movie better than what it had to offer in every single possible manner.

I think honestly they just need to play up a bit more the idea that Whis isn't actually supposed to be someone that helps a lot, that's not what Angels are for and it might be a bad thing that he's gotten as chummy with the U7 gang as he has. Focus some amount on the dichotomy of that as a reason that he can't actually get rid of Broly or Freeza himself and has to resort to these weird half-steps between actually fighting to solve the issue if he can't just immediately destroy them. Obviously if he were capable and willing to just solve every problem the heroes have, he would. But that'd be a terrible story, wouldn't it?

I recognize that it's Toriyama having written himself into a corner somewhat, but I also think whatever the actual reasoning behind it is could be interesting if he expanded on it's philosophical and emotional connections (which he won't, because that's not something Toriyama does or has ever done, but y'know).

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:00 am

Rakurai wrote:If people don't want to be spoiled, then they are welcome to stay out of this thread.
It doesn't work that way. Spoilers shouldn't be posted in this thread really especially without the tags but they are. Stay out this thread? I just saw someone drop spoilers in the strength thread.

Can't go on YouTube either because all these Dragon Ball YouTube Channels feed you these spoilers for nothing more than to get views. Don't watch the videos? Doesn't matter, I saw the movie trailer so I'll get a bunch of recommended videos of "Dragon Ball Super: Broly *Spoilers"" but then they'll still show a fan made image of Gogeta anyway.

It spoils it for everyone else so a handful of people can get some ad revenue.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:21 am

Maybe there should be a special "spoiler" thread... then people can talk about any spoilers in peace.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:28 am

BrolyKale wrote:

Well, if that's how things are going, I'd say it is worse than the first Broly movie, because the old movie only lasted 40mins and so, this movie is 100mins... if you can't give a better plot than this
The first Broly movie actually lasted for ~70mins in stark contrast with all other Z movies until BoG.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:31 am

dbgtFO wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:

The first Broly movie actually lasted for ~70mins in stark contrast with all other Z movies until BoG.
The first Broly film lasts 46mins or 50 I don't know exactly, I'm not couting the intro, ending etc.

EDIT: nvm just checked you are right.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:39 am

BrolyKale wrote:
dbgtFO wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:Well, if that's how things are going, I'd say it is worse than the first Broly movie, because the old movie only lasted 40mins and so, this movie is 100mins... if you can't give a better plot than this
The first Broly film lasts 46mins or 50 I don't know exactly, I'm not couting the intro, ending etc.
There's no way it lasts 50 minutes or less without the opening and ending. That's 20+ minutes that has to be accounted for and the opening and are like 5 minutes total at best.
Surely the meat of the film is like 65 mins at minimum, but I'd have to check to be sure.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:41 am

I edited my post, you were right. It's something around 60-70mins.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:45 am

BrolyKale wrote:I edited my post, you were right. It's something around 60-70mins.
Oh good to hear :thumbup:

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:03 am

Noitsnothim wrote: 4. Goten and Trunks not getting involved gotta be a lie they're in the promo material and even got posters of themselves
Oh please, you know they will be there for fluff before the plot kicks in. Their current outfits aren't even battle suited.