Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Melkaniator » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:51 pm

Score: 6/10

The only thing that could've been spoiled for me was if Frieza was going to be dead or alive at the end of the movie (though I suspected he was gonna remain alive) the trailers did all the spoiling.

Again, the story was underwhelming, plus the 2nd half had horrible pacing, it seems put together in a rush.

Also, past Broly had something unique, he was brutally sadistic, he enjoyed fighting as a truer Saiya-jin should.

That is now lost, replaced by "I have my friend's ear on my waist".

Akira again forgot Shenron grants 3 wishes?

Frieza doesn't understand how immortality works, and the height wish issue was beyond retarded, everytime I think they can't surprise me more on how bad the writing is, they break their limits.

Animation and Broly's origin were clear improvements, I'll give them that.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:17 pm

Just saw the camrip of the movie. Thoughts: painfully mediocre script with issues in characterization, elevated by great visuals, soundtrack and overall presentation; so basically what I was expecting going into this. The movie is enjoyable but definitely not the best DB movie, not by a longshot (maybe top 5? Definitely not top 3). It's better than movie 8, but movie 8 does everything that this movie directly rips off better.

Extended thoughts:
The movie is pretty much all over the place, both in terms of themes and characterization. I can only assume that it's because a lot of it was cut for the final release, be it from the script or the actual finished, animated product, as you can see in some scenes that there's something missing; some scenes lose impact because of how rushed they are (Bardock's final stand comes to mind as mentioned). Again, there's nothing really offensive here outside of the predictably offensive Minus stuff. It's just very bland and sterile but hidden nicely by good presentation.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:25 pm

Rakurai wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:
Cetra wrote: Is that a serious question or are you trying to be polemical?
It's a legitimate question. There's not much to him. He hates KAKAROTOOO . He likes to destroy and murder. Dassit.

Old Broly didn't want to be left alone. If Paragus didn't have that ring controlling his emotions he'd be off rampaging and destroying shit. New Broly is more like an uncivilized Gohan
"Edgy one-liners?" What the hell is this even?

In M8 he had a fleshed-out personality and a cruel, sadistic nature as marked by his interactions with the fighters and his father.

In M10 all he says is "Kakarotto!" and one other line to Gohan.

You are reducing the analysis through a stereotypical fandom generalization. I can hardly blame Cetra for not taking you seriously. Might as well reduce Goku's character to "Fight strong guys! Eat food! Bad father." Or Vegeta's character to "Surpass Goku! Muh Bulma! He likes to train." Yep, not much to Goku or Vegeta either when you reduce them like that.

M10 Broly is a caricature of his M8 personality. In M8 there is very little to no indication that he specifically hates Goku, as that happens only in M10 and for good reason.
Goku and Vegeta demonstrate a lot more to their characters than their base personality traits. Broly, at absolutely no point in Movie 8, demonstrates any personality trait other than being a complete psycho. Even in his normal form, he's virtually silent and then the flashbacks reveal that it's just Paragus putting his mood in check and he'd otherwise be...rampaging.

In Movie 8, he blows up some planets, beats our heroes up, and laughs about it. There's not much there. I'm describing it as flatly as possible because frankly, that's how it comes off. It's certainly entertaining, don't get me wrong, but layered it is not.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:38 pm

Hey guys I was wondering if we know the initial budget of this movie ? :shock:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:22 pm

You guys still forget that in M8 Broly base form didn't have much screentime compared to the new movie, we can see him talk properly when he sleeps and asks his father what he's up to (without Paragus controlling him), so he can be calm when he wants.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:23 pm

Bebi Hatchiyack wrote:Hey guys I was wondering if we know the initial budget of this movie ? :shock:
No, It is not public information.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Oh well. :roll: I mean, it's cool (on paper) a counterpart to Sozoshins but did they really need to be that strong? Also, as I'm always saying, do Beerus and Whis really need to be on Earth from now on? They have never spent so much time there and now, suddenly, they can't seem to leave it for some reason, and that is bizarre. Shouldn't Beerus be sleeping by now and not to wake for Whis knows how long?

I assume a great part of the lack of tension is because of those two that randomly appeared out of nowhere with no prior mention of their existence and such. So far, they have not had business whatsoever with the events ever since Movie 14. Now that Beerus already fought his long-awaited opponent, the Super Saiyan God, he doesn't have more role to play and it doesn't seem like Toriyama wants to expand stuff (like you know.... Coming up with an enemy that can pose a threat to the Megaverse so that Hakaishins can fight against). In short, it's time for Beerus (and probably Whis) to leave, he already served his purpose.
Last edited by Grimlock on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

SuperSaiyanSmoke

Post by SuperSaiyanSmoke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:38 pm

Just saw the movie, my thoughts are below & anyone wanting to stay spoiler free, don't read ahead!

Overall rating: 8.5/10 (It's GREAT!)

>>DB Minus + Vampa
I feel the pacing is a tad fast, and like the other users have posted, the movie has noticeable scenes feel gutted out (Bardock's scene with the death ball). Though, I have a feeling that we have too much of the TV movie in our mind which is influencing our perspective. (Bardock's argument and attack at Frieza in space). I think they missed out on the opportunity of showing how Broly get's along with Paragus as a child, that would have given us more depth into his character.

>> First encounter
I wanted MORE interaction between Vegeta & Paragus, since they are the only two saiyan's that thoroughly understand their own culture. I LOVED the scene where Vegeta transforms into a Super Saiyan and Paragus is shocked, I wanted them interact more regarding this, It would be have been even cooler if Super Saiyan God was explained to Paragus. I wanted him to feel like he knew absolutely nothing about the greatness of his race and just being a Super Saiyan was not Legendary. The scene where Vegeta starts to slowly access Super Saiyan (Glow only) while his strength increases is also amazing! After all the shit Super pulled, They're giving the respect back to just (In Piccolo's words from BOG) a "Mere Super Saiyan".

>>Ikari Broly
I think this is a step in the right direction going forwards, It brings something new to the table and I do not see this as a sign of Super Saiyan 4. I think the Ikari form is final and there won't be an evolution to it like SSJ4. This however did subtly remind me of Gohan before TOP, where him & Piccolo were discussing to find a new way to power up, other than Super Saiyan.

>>Frieza
I didn't mind his gag, and I don't understand why people hate this about Frieza now. I don't mind the direction the character is going in. Frieza has been utterly shamed by Goku, He has lost his pride, respect, position and Goku has de-clothed him, humiliated him, regularly smack's his tushy (in public), and has desensitized his character in front of the whole universe and us the audience. There is nothing Frieza can bring to the table, whatever chance he had to be as menacing as before, he lost during the TOP arc, where he was.. an anti hero you can say.

>>Broly
A huge improvement over non-canon M8 Broly. I felt for him throughout the whole movie and that is what counts. I think we all established a connection with him. The M8 Broly was just a "villain" that was a Saiyan who had as much depth as Kid Buu. Frieza, Cell are far superior to M8 Broly. I am happy to see his character being re-written, while retaining his physique and hulk-ness from M8. I also liked how they logically explained his mutancy.

>> Going forwards
1. Interesting to see how Goku trains up Broly, what transformations he teaches him and if he can somehow learn Ikari from Broly.
2. I think it is time we either visit Planet Sadala, however I feel like Planet Vegeta should be revived, Sadala saiyan's are goody two shoes, I want the evil saiyan's back and I want Vegeta to be their Jesus.
3. Interaction needed between Kakarot & his family (Yes, includes Raditz the asshole) and also between King Vegeta III & Prince Vegeta IV. ;)

Sigh.. I want more DB content, When is super returning?!!

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:42 pm

Doctor. wrote:Just saw the camrip of the movie. Thoughts: painfully mediocre script with issues in characterization, elevated by great visuals, soundtrack and overall presentation; so basically what I was expecting going into this. The movie is enjoyable but definitely not the best DB movie, not by a longshot (maybe top 5? Definitely not top 3). It's better than movie 8, but movie 8 does everything that this movie directly rips off better.

Extended thoughts:
The movie is pretty much all over the place, both in terms of themes and characterization. I can only assume that it's because a lot of it was cut for the final release, be it from the script or the actual finished, animated product, as you can see in some scenes that there's something missing; some scenes lose impact because of how rushed they are (Bardock's final stand comes to mind as mentioned). Again, there's nothing really offensive here outside of the predictably offensive Minus stuff. It's just very bland and sterile but hidden nicely by good presentation.
You basically said everything I was gonna say and hit the nail on the head. Great post :thumbup:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:51 pm

Doctor. wrote:Just saw the camrip of the movie. Thoughts: painfully mediocre script with issues in characterization, elevated by great visuals, soundtrack and overall presentation; so basically what I was expecting going into this. The movie is enjoyable but definitely not the best DB movie, not by a longshot (maybe top 5? Definitely not top 3). It's better than movie 8, but movie 8 does everything that this movie directly rips off better.

Extended thoughts:
Always love your posts. :clap:

It really does feel like there was no reason to make this saiyan Broly, other than to capitalize on Broly's popularity. I feel like we could mostly beat for beat tell the same story but without anyone called Broly or Paragus.

I also forget, why does this Broly get angry and mad? Past Broly was already insane as is, but this one seems to just get angry? I'm genuinely asking if I missed something cause I really feel like I missed it and need someone to remind me what it is.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:53 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:I also forget, why does this Broly get angry and mad? Past Broly was already insane as is, but this one seems to just get angry? I'm genuinely asking if I missed something cause I really feel like I missed it and need someone to remind me what it is.
Yeah, this one apparently just gets mad sometimes for no reason. It's implied because he was born with a high battle power and can't control that Ikari form of his (basically the same as old Broly, but replace LSS with Ikari). Then he goes SS once Freeza kills Paragus and goes LSS for... no reason.

And I wonder how Paragus managed to create a device capable of controlling a rampaging Broly from (presumably) a ship full of scraps. I guess he's the brilliant scientist.

SuperSaiyanSmoke

Post by SuperSaiyanSmoke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:59 pm

Doctor. wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:I also forget, why does this Broly get angry and mad? Past Broly was already insane as is, but this one seems to just get angry? I'm genuinely asking if I missed something cause I really feel like I missed it and need someone to remind me what it is.
Yeah, this one apparently just gets mad sometimes for no reason. It's implied because he was born with a high battle power and can't control that Ikari form of his (basically the same as old Broly, but replace LSS with Ikari). Then he goes SS once Freeza kills Paragus and goes LSS for... no reason.

And I wonder how Paragus managed to create a device capable of controlling a rampaging Broly from (presumably) a ship full of scraps. I guess he's the brilliant scientist.
I believe LSSJ is Super Saiyan with IKARI.

Base form = White aura
Base with ikari = Green aura
Super Saiyan = Yellow
Legendary Super Saiyan = Yellow and Green aura

Green = Ikari :D

GTx10
Regular

Post by GTx10 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:11 pm

zarmack wrote:
GTx10 wrote:Now that I've seen the movie, (camera rip on YouTube) I have the following feelings.
King Vegeta looks ugly and no where near as "cool" looking as his Movie 8 counterpart. (Or the anime counterpart) So Paragus and Beet have trouble fighting the spiders? Truly "low class scum."
Bardock is boring and I accept DB Minus. Bulma's new JPN actress sounds so much like "original Bulma" that it's scary and wonderful. (In a good way) Beerus is the perfect baby sitter and Bulla is in safe hands with him. Hey look it's Neiz's (1st Cooler movie) father and hot green alien girl.
Paragus is a dick just like his Movie 8 counterpart. Broly is Goku, Neiz's dad is Oolong and hot green girl is Bulma and I am okay with that. Freeza soldiers who can't fly? No wonder Freeza killed off his men in RF.
Steam coming out of Son's nose is adorable and Holy Moly Takahashi's art is sexy! Vegeta vs Broly is stunning even though Vegeta is absolutely pointless in this film. Yeah… Goku bouncing up and down makes sense (Getting them muscles ready and what not) but looks goofy and out of place within its context. SS1 sure gets a lot of love in this movie huh?
Damn, that SS1 into SSGod transition was beautiful, also boy does SSGod get a lot of love in this movie. So while SSGod Son Goku is lying in the snow mind talking to Piccolo what the fu@k is Vegeta doing? God he's pointless in this film. At least Yamucha gives exposition, Vegeta is useless.
The camera sure likes to focus on hot, green girl's butt a lot, I ain't mad about it though.I saw that slipt second Ultra Instinct movie, I saw it. So not going to lie, SSBlue Goku and Vegeta VS Rage/SS1 Broly is underwhelming and oh God the "Monkey Freeza" is back! Tate may animate well but his drawings/models look terrible. It's like looking at the end of the RF arc in Super all over again.
Hey look it's Gogeta, and… okay he's neat. This film really makes SS1 look badass and I thought SSBlue was the new "SS1."
Oh look it's SSBlue Gogeta, neat. What the fu@k is happening on screen right now?! It looks cool but I can't tell what's happening because it's a lot of "pew-pew and zoom-zoom."
So I'm mixed with this film. The prologue is disjointed, Broly, hot, green girl, Neiz's dad scenes are cute. Base/Rage Broly VS Base/SS1/SSGod Vegeta and Goku are superb and SSBlue Goku/Vegeta/Gogeta VS SS1/FP Broly is a mix of ugly and sensory overload. The ending is sweet, so I like parts of the film and feel indifferent to other parts. Somebody tell me what to feel!
If Vegeta is pointless in the film then so is Goku, since he does essentially no better than him fight-wise nor plot-wise in the movie.
I agree but since I like Son Goku more than Vegeta I am biased. But Goku does step in to fight completely disregarding Vegeta's current brawl with Broly. Goku isn't helping he is flat out taking over while Vegeta Blue steps in only when Goku struggles against SS1 Broly. It's clear that Son has a better time of handling Broly than Vegeta does.
It sort of reminds me of SS4 Goku and Vegeta VS. Omega Shenron, Goku lasts much longer than SS4 Vegeta who powers down after much less fighting time.
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:27 pm

Quick question for anyone that's seen the film or knows the answer. Is the SSB fight mostly CG? It seems like most of the footage of that fight in the trailers is CG, and I also haven't really heard many people bring it up as a highlight of the film, and I assumed that was because it was mostly CG and therefor didn't look as good as the rest. Is this true? Or did they just choose for whatever reason not to show as much of that fight in the trailers?

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Goku and Vegeta demonstrate a lot more to their characters than their base personality traits. Broly, at absolutely no point in Movie 8, demonstrates any personality trait other than being a complete psycho. Even in his normal form, he's virtually silent and then the flashbacks reveal that it's just Paragus putting his mood in check and he'd otherwise be...rampaging.

In Movie 8, he blows up some planets, beats our heroes up, and laughs about it. There's not much there. I'm describing it as flatly as possible because frankly, that's how it comes off. It's certainly entertaining, don't get me wrong, but layered it is not.
You are being inherently dishonest. I literally just described to you M8 Broly's personality. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can reduce it and then dismiss it. Frieza was a psycho too you know? You say edgy one-liners, I can give you rational dialogue in which Broly shows off his cruel & sadistic disposition characteristic of the Legendary Super Saiyan that Vegeta described in the anime:

*Laughs* "If you guys don't demonstrate the will to fight me, I will just destroy the entire planet!"

To the green little aliens: "You've gazed at the stars, wishing someday to return there, haven't you?" *Proceeds to blow up their planet*

"Kakarotto, is your son dear to you?" *Proceeds to trash Gohan*

"If you didn't resist like good little boys you wouldn't meet with such a painful death! I'll give every credit for being every bit Saiyan."

To Paragus: "Where do you think you're going? In a single-seated pod?" *Proceeds to kill his own father*

This is far and wide a difference in terms of characterization than his M10 self, whose majority dialogue was Kakarotto. So please do some research into the subject you are talking about instead of latching on to fan misconceptions and generalizations like some kind of sheep.
Last edited by Rakurai on Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:33 pm

After seeing the movie, I can definitely say that an anime retelling will do this arc a huge favor in the pacing department. This is coming from someone that thought there would be no need for one for this movie.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:33 pm

Artorias wrote:Quick question for anyone that's seen the film or knows the answer. Is the SSB fight mostly CG? It seems like most of the footage of that fight in the trailers is CG, and I also haven't really heard many people bring it up as a highlight of the film, and I assumed that was because it was mostly CG and therefor didn't look as good as the rest. Is this true? Or did they just choose for whatever reason not to show as much of that fight in the trailers?
SSB Goku and Vegeta vs Broly is mostly CG with one animated scene of SSB Goku vs Broly, Gogeta is mostly animated with one CG scene.

SuperSaiyanSmoke

Post by SuperSaiyanSmoke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:34 pm

Rakurai wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Goku and Vegeta demonstrate a lot more to their characters than their base personality traits. Broly, at absolutely no point in Movie 8, demonstrates any personality trait other than being a complete psycho. Even in his normal form, he's virtually silent and then the flashbacks reveal that it's just Paragus putting his mood in check and he'd otherwise be...rampaging.

You are being inherently dishonest. I literally just described to you M8 Broly's personality. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can reduce it and then dismiss it. Frieza was a psycho too you know? You say edgy one-liners, I can give you rational dialogue in which Broly shows off his cruel & sadistic disposition characteristic of the Legendary Super Saiyan that Vegeta described in the anime:

*Laughs* "If you guys don't demonstrate the will to fight me, I will just destroy the entire planet!"

To the green little aliens: "You've gazed at the stars, wishing someday to return there, haven't you? *Proceeds to blow up their planet*

"Kakarotto, is your son dear to you?" *Proceeds to trash Gohan*

"If you didn't resist like good little boys you wouldn't meet with such a painful death! I'll give every credit for being every bit Saiyan."

To Paragus: "Where do you think you're going? In a single-seated pod?" *Proceeds to kill his own father*

This is far and wide a difference in terms of characterization than his M10 self. So please do some research into the subject you are talking about instead of latching on to fan misconceptions and generalizations like some kind of sheep.
*Yawns* But that Broly died years ago... let your influence of him die too! The new broly is here to stay.

SuperSaiyanSmoke

Post by SuperSaiyanSmoke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:35 pm

Helios518 wrote:After seeing the movie, I can definitely say that an anime retelling will do this arc a huge favor in the pacing department. This is coming from someone that thought there would be no need for one for this movie.
Seconded, personally i hated the re-tellings.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:36 pm

SuperSaiyanSmoke wrote: *Yawns* But that Broly died years ago... let your influence of him die too! The new broly is here to stay.
Say that about the new Bardock to the rest of the fandom and see what the reaction would be.

Also the new Broly is boring to me and brings nothing new to the series. I have more interest in Kale than DBS Broly at this point.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!