Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:48 pm

So Gogeta from movie was revealed in DBS Card Game.
I understand that Broly is retconned and entirely changed so they call him "Broly: BR", but i don't see any reason to put "BR" into Gogeta's name.
It's basically the same character as always. It will turn into another GT thing where GT characters very often get "GT" in their names.
For example, all DBZ&DBS versions of #18 in Dokkan are called "Android 18" but her GT version is called "Android 18 (GT)". It's stupid.
I guess all DBS Broly versions of characters will now have "BR" in their names as well :wtf:

"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:03 pm

Yeah, that's really weird. The Goku and Vegeta cards from that set are also getting the BR treatment which is just odd.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:25 pm

I'm okay with this^. Maybe they won't adapt Broly in the Dragon Ball Super series after all.
One World. 🌐 🕊

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:55 pm

PhoenixEX wrote:I'm okay with this^. Maybe they won't adapt Broly in the Dragon Ball Super series after all.
I hope not. It may just be distinguishing between DBS characters and the movie iterations of those characters.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:11 pm

I think the anime should adapt the Broly movie. People will be looking for KK Blue and Beyond Blue merchandise. It will also give the manga time to prolong the new Patrol arc.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:24 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:For example, all DBZ&DBS versions of #18 in Dokkan are called "Android 18" but her GT version is called "Android 18 (GT)". It's stupid.
I mean that makes sense. There's just "18" which is just her in the main continuity and the other is an alternate version from a side story, or a version of her that is not in the main continuity.
Miracles wrote:I think the anime should adapt the Broly movie. People will be looking for KK Blue and Beyond Blue merchandise. It will also give the manga time to prolong the new Patrol arc.
I agree that we need an adaptation of the movie in the anime, but I don't know why we would want to give the manga time to prolong the next arc in the manga.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:43 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Miracles wrote:I think the anime should adapt the Broly movie. People will be looking for KK Blue and Beyond Blue merchandise. It will also give the manga time to prolong the new Patrol arc.
I agree that we need an adaptation of the movie in the anime, but I don't know why we would want to give the manga time to prolong the next arc in the manga.
To give the anime a basis to go off on in order to keep them on track concerning the story.
Since TOEI has hundreds of writers, at times could cause things to drift. A singular standard would help guide them better.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:10 pm

I’d much rather they not adapt this movie into television format, regardless of how inevitable that might be. The television adaptation of BoG was completely inferior to the movie, while RF was a film I already disliked to begin with, and the television show didn’t add anything meaningful to what little story there was. If the manga was allowed to skip the Broly stuff, I don’t see why the anime can’t do the same.

prince212
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by prince212 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:20 pm

B.o.G was the only movie needed to have an adaptation to the anime , as a way to introduce the series , freeza and broly movies don’t need to have an adaptation, the plot doesn’t add too much to the overall story . Totally skippable
It was as if a whole lot of people ...were screaming in pain....

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:26 pm

PFM18 wrote:
sunsetshimmer wrote:For example, all DBZ&DBS versions of #18 in Dokkan are called "Android 18" but her GT version is called "Android 18 (GT)". It's stupid.
I mean that makes sense. There's just "18" which is just her in the main continuity and the other is an alternate version from a side story, or a version of her that is not in the main continuity.
All movies (except for BR) + all TV specials also count as side stories. Yet characters from those do not have anything in their names.
Hell i bet that even Bardock will have BR despite being a canon version of him while his version from Z special is just "Bardock", not "Bardock (Z)" or anything like that.
There is no need to name GT characters different if they are not reboots like Broly. #18 from GT is supposed to be exactly the same character.

What is more stupid is a fact, that #17 from GT doesn't have GT in his name in Dokkan but his sister has. So they are not even consistent.
Also don't forget that "canon" #17 from DBS also has "(DB Super)" in his name in Xenoverse. While DBS Trunks doesn't.
I mean "non canon" Gogeta SSJ4 doesn't have GT in his name and "canon" Gogeta has "BR"? How isn't it stupid?

So as you see your "side story" theory doesn't work here.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:45 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:All movies (except for BR) + all TV specials also count as side stories.
They are still all a part of "DBZ" or "DB" so this distinction is nonsensical.
What is more stupid is a fact, that #17 from GT doesn't have GT in his name in Dokkan but his sister has. So they are not even consistent.
That is stupid/inconsistent. But still.
I mean "non canon" Gogeta SSJ4 doesn't have GT in his name and "canon" Gogeta has "BR"? How isn't it stupid?
Because from what I am hearing from your description, "Gogeta" and "BR Gogeta" distinguish them where as "SSJ4 Gogeta" to distinguish him.
Miracles wrote: To give the anime a basis to go off on in order to keep them on track concerning the story.
They don't need to do that, the manga fucks up the story/narrative IMO. The only arc that it didn't ruin was the BoG arc IMO and we are far removed from that. Albeit, the end of the ToP in the manga was very good.
WittyUsername wrote:I’d much rather they not adapt this movie into television format, regardless of how inevitable that might be. The television adaptation of BoG was completely inferior to the movie, while RF was a film I already disliked to begin with, and the television show didn’t add anything meaningful to what little story there was. If the manga was allowed to skip the Broly stuff, I don’t see why the anime can’t do the same.
Surely the anime is "allowed" to do the same. I just don't think that they should do the same.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:32 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Miracles wrote: To give the anime a basis to go off on in order to keep them on track concerning the story.
They don't need to do that, the manga fucks up the story/narrative IMO. The only arc that it didn't ruin was the BoG arc IMO and we are far removed from that. Albeit, the end of the ToP in the manga was very good.
I'm not making any "who did it better" comparisons. I'm stating the manga being ahead and giving the anime a basis would be good to develop the plot easier.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:47 pm

Miracles wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I'm not making any "who did it better" comparisons. I'm stating the manga being ahead and giving the anime a basis would be good to develop the plot easier.
I'm not trying to make this into a "anime vs manga" debate, I'm just saying I don't want the anime to turn into a manga adaptation without a story of it's own because I prefer the anime's writing.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:05 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
I'm not trying to make this into a "anime vs manga" debate, I'm just saying I don't want the anime to turn into a manga adaptation without a story of it's own because I prefer the anime's writing.
I don't mind. The anime and manga didn't differ on the major plot points anyway. Only how to connect those plot points they varied.
I think it would give TOEI a chance to focus more on high budget anime original fight scenes.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:39 pm

Miracles wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Miracles wrote: I'm not making any "who did it better" comparisons. I'm stating the manga being ahead and giving the anime a basis would be good to develop the plot easier.
I don't mind. The anime and manga didn't differ on the major plot points anyway. Only how to connect those plot points they varied.
I think it would give TOEI a chance to focus more on high budget anime original fight scenes.
>High budget anime original fight scenes. :lol:
I think a good schedule with decent enough staff would be all thats necessary. Maybe have Naoki Tate as a regular and have him on a schedule that allows him to produce stuff like he was at the end of Super, or maybe if a new show does come out to replace Kitaro, we could have Noboru Koizumi come on board and provide his fantastic key animation to a DB fight. It would be interesting to see how he would approach modern DB considering his unique take on the show during GT.

I think just having consistent talent on the show being given the opportunity to do good stuff, like they were given at the end of Super, would be really nice.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:42 pm

Miracles wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Miracles wrote: I'm not making any "who did it better" comparisons. I'm stating the manga being ahead and giving the anime a basis would be good to develop the plot easier.
Yes, the central, over-arching storyline is identical in both mediums, but the fact that each one differs on several details means that the execution of the entire arc's plot can also differ.

As far as animation goes, and focusing on a high budget, Shida's animation style is easier and cheaper to animate, so it shouldn't really be a problem assuming they don't go back to the old designs.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:49 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Yes, the central, over-arching storyline is identical in both mediums, but the fact that each one differs on several details means that the execution of the entire arc's plot can also differ.

As far as animation goes, and focusing on a high budget, Shida's animation style is easier and cheaper to animate, so it shouldn't really be a problem assuming they don't go back to the old designs.
How about this?

Everyone keeps doing what they’re doing but Toei and Toyo work closer together as Toei gives Toyo ideas on how to fill in the blanks of the outline Toriyama has given. Then, Toei and the anime follow the manga and all its events with the only Toei exclusive content being expanding on points already in the manga (but Toei can still do filler in between arcs). And Toei has full control over the storyboarding and look of episodes and fights but can also use the manga as storyboarding reference if they want to. As long as the events, how they happen, where they take place, etc stay consistent.

And Toriyama watches over the whole process popping in to give his own opinion when he feels like it.

Also the anime staff at Toei gets a head/chief writer in charge of keeping track and consistency between all written episodes.

This is my dream.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:58 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Miracles wrote: I don't mind. The anime and manga didn't differ on the major plot points anyway. Only how to connect those plot points they varied.

How about this?

Everyone keeps doing what they’re doing but Toei and Toyo work closer together as Toei gives Toyo ideas on how to fill in the blanks of the outline Toriyama has given. Then, Toei and the anime follow the manga and all its events with the only Toei exclusive content being expanding on points already in the manga (but Toei can still do filler in between arcs). And Toei has full control over the storyboarding and look of episodes and fights but can also use the manga as storyboarding reference if they want to. As long as the events, how they happen, where they take place, etc stay consistent.

And Toriyama watches over the whole process popping in to give his own opinion when he feels like it.

Also the anime staff at Toei gets a head/chief writer in charge of keeping track and consistency between all written episodes.

This is my dream.
So if I'm understanding this right, then the only discrepancies would be the anime takes their time expanding on things and has possible filler arcs? And it is otherwise the same thing?

If I'm understanding the rest right, then I definitely approve! :thumbup: :thumbup:

But how would the head writer be chosen? As far as I'm aware, we don't know how well they can keep things consistent until they have already attempted it and by that point it is already too late.

Makaioshin
Advanced Regular

Post by Makaioshin » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:10 pm

One interesting scene that everyone is talking about elsewhere but no one is talking about here is when Paragus kills the third Saiyan (Beets) so him and Broly can survive on Vampa. I'm kinda torn on it myself because, while stuff like Yajirobe eating Cymbal has happened before, eating a human-looking alien just seems a bit too far. I guess there are plenty of real life examples of people getting stranded and forced to eat a fellow crew-mate but something about it is kinda overly dark. Wondering what you guys think?