Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mnich
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Mnich » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:53 am

Scsigs wrote:
Miracles wrote:Well that's flat out wrong. After Goku got to new Vegeta there was no direct reason for Broly to relate to Goku other than the proven fact of Paragus words that the strings of destiny fated both of them to meet again. Anything else is just headcanon.
Well, you're not wrong. However, the way the movie's then told & the sequel give you more to put together whether or not it was intended. Thus, headcanon becomes actual canon in this case.
What kind of logic is that? Headcanon can't be canon because it's just your theory, which in this case is wrong. You can't add to the story when everything necessary to understand Broly's character is already stated in the movie by Paragus. Miracles has already proved that your theory is wrong by providing the screenshots from the movie with Paragus' lines. I think it's pointless to continue this discussion, because there's nothing to add - you have everything in the screenshots.

Besides, this thread is about the new Broly and DBS movie.

Shineman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shineman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Miracles wrote:Well that's flat out wrong. After Goku got to new Vegeta there was no direct reason for Broly to relate to Goku other than the proven fact of Paragus words that the strings of destiny fated both of them to meet again. Anything else is just headcanon.
Well, you're not wrong. However, the way the movie's then told & the sequel give you more to put together whether or not it was intended. Thus, headcanon becomes actual canon in this case.
That is not how it works.

As Miracles stated, you are flat out wrong. Paragus’ lines are taken as expository for the audience to take up on Broly’s character, hence the screenshots he provided that does depth into it, along with my post. Once again, you are adding superficial things into the story that never happened. Broly went after everyone and threatened destruction of the planet if they do not put up a will to fight (and even praise them when they kept getting back up).

Furthermore, fan-made content should not be considered in these types of discussions, such as Team Four Star. I and most likely the other users in this discussion do not give a damn what they say.

I agreed that this conversation is better suited in another, original thread and avoid clotting this one, since it relates to Super’s Broly, not the classic one.
"You, your family, everyone, will die. Over and over. Mountains of broken bodies, beneath the wheel." - Lich (Crossover, Adventure Time Season 7, episode 23)

I run a general discussion site: https://cosmiccitycrews.com/index.php

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:13 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:It says a lot about how well this film portrayed Broly that his Full Power form managed to out-popularise even Gogeta and Gogeta Blue at that too!
The movie is about Broly, so it's about to be expected, also, Broly has a completely new design, unlike Gogeta, that the only new things it has it's blue hair, and yellow sides of the jacket.
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:59 pm

Well now that I’ve seen it I can say it’s pretty damn good. Easily the best Broly movie by far (though that bar is incredibly super low). The prologue stuff ended up being the most interesting part of the movie for me but I do appreciate how much better Mr.Toriyama made Broly so the character is no longer a self-parody played entirely straight.

I wasn’t nearly as enamored with the fight scenes as much as everyone else seemed to be (give me stuff like what we see in The Dead Zone over this pew pew pew boom! Boom! Kachooow! stuff any day of the week) but that Toriyama humor prevented the last third of the movie from becoming a dull brawl fest. I especially enjoyed Freeza taking advantage of the whole “pure hearted warrior awaken by rage” thing to stretch his acting muscle and Vegeta’s embarrassment over the whoe fusion dance thing.

Oh and Cheelai is the GOAT. I haven’t really had any interest in watching Super beyond some clips here and there so I have no comment on Kale and Caulifala but thank you Toriyama for finally creating an interesting female character that isn’t reduced to sex toy or love interest or both. I mean yeah her interest in Broly probably inspired a shit ton of fanfics and Taylor Swift AMV’s but it never came off as anything other than maternal/big sister concern.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:45 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Thank you Toriyama for finally creating an interesting female character that isn’t reduced to sex toy or love interest or both.

Yeah, sure they didn't. Since when does an anime introduce a female character and not oversexualise her?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:27 am

Japanese BD and DVD is being released in June 5th

https://dragonball.news/news/n190303000.html

No mention of special features.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:38 am

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:Japanese BD and DVD is being released in June 5th

They did sadly no deleted scenes or anything.
Bonus disc
DVD disc type: single side single layer audio: 1. Main speech: Stereo screen: 16: 9 LB Contents: ● TV Spot · Promotion video collection (planned) ● World Premier in Nippon Budokan (planned) ● Public memorial stage greetings (2018.12.15) (planned)

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:07 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote:Japanese BD and DVD is being released in June 5th

Thanks for that info.

Wonder if the DVD comes with a statement from Toriyama?

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:42 am

Bullza wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:45 am
MasenkoHA wrote:Thank you Toriyama for finally creating an interesting female character that isn’t reduced to sex toy or love interest or both.

Yeah, sure they didn't. Since when does an anime introduce a female character and not oversexualise her?
A little fanservice here and there is not the same as what you are making this out to be. Especially given she's majorly plot relevant which for women in dragonball, is really rare beyond Bulma

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:02 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:47 am
This is the worst and most erroneous statement made by anyone thinking M8 Broly hated Goku cause he cried. Which he did not, and doesn't indicate at all he was triggered by it in M8.

Unfortunately, it's become such a meme at this point, and perpetuated by the singular fixation of Broly's hatred in subsequent media, that it's difficult to dispel unless you shove the evidence right in front of people.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Potara-Warrior96

Post by Potara-Warrior96 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:33 pm

Rakurai wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:02 pm
Scsigs wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:47 am
This is the worst and most erroneous statement made by anyone thinking M8 Broly hated Goku cause he cried. Which he did not, and doesn't indicate at all he was triggered by it in M8.

Unfortunately, it's become such a meme at this point, and perpetuated by the singular fixation of Broly's hatred in subsequent media, that it's difficult to dispel unless you shove the evidence right in front of people.
Even if you show them evidence they'll still ignore out of sheer stubbornness to concede especially since most probably heard this so many times that it becomes real to then.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:34 pm

This is a minor nitpick, but I would've appreciated it if they mentioned where Gohan was. He still doesn't even have to appear in the film, cause what would he really bring to the table? But a mention of him would've been nice. Maybe he'd let work pile up due to him training more nowadays, so he couldn't come to the island. Just a thought? But still, that's just a minor nitpick.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:50 am

Now that probably all the "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" hype passed, I also have a minor nitpick to share:

Goku asks if Vegeta knows about the fusion dance and the latter answers that Trunks told him about it... Why?

We see that Goku proposes to fuse with Vegeta when they were absorbed by Super Buu and Vegeta himself states that he saw it from the Otherworld. Has Goku forgotten about that moment? We know that Goku hasn't major issues with memory as he made a comment about Cell in Majin Buu saga after seven years. This movie takes place only six years after Majin Buu saga, so Goku couldn't have forgotten that.

Vegeta could have pointed it out too by saying something like "yeah, I've told you that I know when we were absorbed by Super Buu" instead of coming up with this "Trunks told me" thing.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:09 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:34 pm This is a minor nitpick, but I would've appreciated it if they mentioned where Gohan was. He still doesn't even have to appear in the film, cause what would he really bring to the table? But a mention of him would've been nice. Maybe he'd let work pile up due to him training more nowadays, so he couldn't come to the island. Just a thought? But still, that's just a minor nitpick.
Gohan had no revalence to the story. Remember they didn't know they were fighting Broly just had to go stop Freeza goons getting the final DB.

Randomly mentioning him would have been out of left field and odd.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:38 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:09 pm
Dragon Ball Gus wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:34 pm This is a minor nitpick, but I would've appreciated it if they mentioned where Gohan was. He still doesn't even have to appear in the film, cause what would he really bring to the table? But a mention of him would've been nice. Maybe he'd let work pile up due to him training more nowadays, so he couldn't come to the island. Just a thought? But still, that's just a minor nitpick.
Gohan had no revalence to the story. Remember they didn't know they were fighting Broly just had to go stop Freeza goons getting the final DB.

Randomly mentioning him would have been out of left field and odd.
But still, Gohan & Android 17 should have sensed Broly from afar and jumped in. They are SSB level fighters now after all.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:19 pm

Chirai is charming on paper and in appearance. Wanting to have/slap that ass and have/suck dem tidders doesn't negative also wanting a female character from being involved in the plot and having nice character and plot highlights.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:44 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:19 pm

Chirai is charming on paper and in appearance. Wanting to have/slap that ass and have/suck dem tidders doesn't negative also wanting a female character from being involved in the plot and having nice character and plot highlights.
Exactly. I'm sick of so many prudes who act a person/character being sexually appealing negates everything else about them.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:42 am

The person brought up how he was thankful the character isn't reduced to a sex toy or love interest.

In her debut appearance they already made a point of randomly showing off her assets for no reason twice. She's also most likely going to be some kind of love interest for Broly as well. So she is those things.

Typing in Cheelai into Google already gives you Cheelai x Broly as one of the most frequent searches. You only need to click on the images to see exactly what people see that character as.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:56 am

Bullza wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:42 amThe person brought up how he was thankful the character isn't reduced to a sex toy or love interest.

In her debut appearance they already made a point of randomly showing off her assets for no reason twice.
The fact that she was made sexy to the audience doesn't mean the character was "reduced to a sex toy or love interest" to the characters in the movie, which was the original argument. Those aren't mutually exclusive.

Using fan fiction/art as evidence of the opposite is a fallacy. The fans are the one reducing the characters to sex toys.

MasenkoHA mentioned that he's ignorant about Caulifla and Kale, but those two are another example of the same thing. A friendly, sister-like relationship as presented in the source material. That many fans like to pretend that there's a sexual relationship/attraction going on doesn't make it true or evidence of that very thing.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:42 am

Luso Saiyan wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:56 amMasenkoHA mentioned that he's ignorant about Caulifla and Kale, but those two are another example of the same thing. A friendly, sister-like relationship as presented in the source material. That many fans like to pretend that there's a sexual relationship/attraction going on doesn't make it true or evidence of that very thing.
There was no implied relationship between those characters, they were just close. You can almost bet something will go on between Broly and Cheelai from how they were portrayed in this movie.

The two characters were also never portrayed in a sexual way. There was no scene where they were arched over with the camera focusing on their ass for no reason at all or a scene where they needlessly pulled out their top to show their boobs.

There was no purpose for that to be in the movie but it is because it's an anime and they always pander to preteens when it comes to female characters. Lemo wasn't portrayed that way but that's because he's a male.