Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Galan007
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Galan007 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Anyone know where I can read a translated version of the complete light novel?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:56 pm

I have to give Toriyama his props for making Broly a powerhouse. Keeping his "legendary" legend status alive from the old movies. To be able to go head up with fusion, the strongest components in DB is something to write home to mom about. Then being compared to the protagonists most powerful, future rival, in Beerus, cements his ferocity even more. I just re watched it, it was pretty fun.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:36 pm

Well, there was a time when Broly being able to go head up against fusion only generate laughs, sarcarstic comments, contempt for a certain medium and etc. Today it gets props and praise. Cool, huh? :roll:
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:40 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:36 pm Well, there was a time when Broly being able to go head up against fusion only generate laughs, sarcarstic comments, contempt for a certain medium and etc. Today it gets props and praise. Cool, huh? :roll:
Mmmm...I'm interested in what you are referring to?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 pm

I'm obviously referring to a time before Dragon Ball Super Broly. When there were only Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 and Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

People used to mock those because Broly shouldn't be able to fight against a fusion (and the new one shouldn't as well for that matter, but hey... Who cares?).

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:44 pm

Grimlock wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:43 pm I'm obviously referring to a time before Dragon Ball Super Broly. When there were only Dragon Ball Z Budokai 3 and Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

People used to mock those because Broly shouldn't be able to fight against a fusion (and the new one shouldn't as well for that matter, but hey... Who cares?).
Oh I see.

Well, the debate is laid to rest now, I guess. :lol:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Yep, if anything, the only "good thing" (if I can call it that) about this notion is that comments like "hur Dur ThIs wIlL NeVah hApPeN in ThE SeRiEs!11!1!!" and similar debates simply vanished. Nonsense has no permanent address.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:05 pm

If we're talking about the old Broly then the argument still stands, IMO.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:39 am

Grimlock wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:36 pm Well, there was a time when Broly being able to go head up against fusion only generate laughs, sarcarstic comments, contempt for a certain medium and etc. Today it gets props and praise. Cool, huh? :roll:
What is your actual problem? You can't seem to let people praising this film go.

I think Broly is the best film in this franchise. Bet that hurts your soul to read that doesn't it?

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:06 am

Anyone with a decent reading skill would see that Miracles stated a couple of reasons why he liked the movie and I didn't criticize any (showing I don't have any problem with people who praise the movie). I just chose to talk about one of them in particular because that's the reality. Broly vs Gogeta was once a reason to laugh, today is a reason to clap.

Quite the contrary, I couldn't care less about people's opinion (about anything for that matter). That won't stop me from discussing, though. You, however, seem to get bothered to know someone may have not enjoyed your "best film in this franchise" that much. Knowing that hurts your soul, doesn't it?

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:43 pm

I think the ambiguous moral concepts of Toriyama's relationship between Broly and Paragus are left entirely up to the audience. He did a good job not diving deep into making one side bad and the other good [Even though there is a black and white code to this]. Examples; Leaving the issue of Paragus using shock treatment to contain Broly is justifiable or not. You could argue your case for either side. On the one hand Broly needed to be tamed somehow, then you have Cheelai saying it's Paragus fault for making Broly into this monster with this harsh treatment. Paragus telling Cheelai they don't see eye to eye on Broly is just icing on the cake.

wolflonnie
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wolflonnie » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:52 am

Miracles wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:43 pm I think the ambiguous moral concepts of Toriyama's relationship between Broly and Paragus are left entirely up to the audience. He did a good job not diving deep into making one side bad and the other good [Even though there is a black and white code to this]. Examples; Leaving the issue of Paragus using shock treatment to contain Broly is justifiable or not. You could argue your case for either side. On the one hand Broly needed to be tamed somehow, then you have Cheelai saying it's Paragus fault for making Broly into this monster with this harsh treatment. Paragus telling Cheelai they don't see eye to eye on Broly is just icing on the cake.
I like your interpretation.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:12 am

wolflonnie wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:52 am
Miracles wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:43 pm I think the ambiguous moral concepts of Toriyama's relationship between Broly and Paragus are left entirely up to the audience. He did a good job not diving deep into making one side bad and the other good [Even though there is a black and white code to this]. Examples; Leaving the issue of Paragus using shock treatment to contain Broly is justifiable or not. You could argue your case for either side. On the one hand Broly needed to be tamed somehow, then you have Cheelai saying it's Paragus fault for making Broly into this monster with this harsh treatment. Paragus telling Cheelai they don't see eye to eye on Broly is just icing on the cake.
I like your interpretation.
Me too. The way I see it is that while Paragus can be condemned for his shock treatment and his ruining of Broly's friendship with Ba. I don't think he can be blamed for Broly's uncontrollable rage. Don't forget Kale. She seems to have been well treated growing up given her relationship with Caulifla but her rage was also uncontrollable just like Broly's. This suggests that Legendary Saiyans are naturally berserk. They need to be taught how to control their tempers. And then there is the fact that most Saiyans cannot control their actions very well when they adopt the form of a Saiyan Ape. We know this as the audience. But do Lemo and Cheelai know that most Saiyan's can't control their actions when they transform into Saiyan Apes?
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

God Gogeta

Post by God Gogeta » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:05 pm

Galan007 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:30 pm Anyone know where I can read a translated version of the complete light novel?
Now this is something . Can anyone post the link.
God Gogeta

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:56 pm

God Gogeta wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:05 pm
Galan007 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:30 pm Anyone know where I can read a translated version of the complete light novel?
Now this is something . Can anyone post the link.
I'd like to know where I could find that too.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:17 pm

I'm not aware of anyone who has done a complete translation of the light novel. It would be a lot of work for... well, very little. I know for damn sure we have no intention of doing it.

If, however, one of the rights-holders would like to pay for it to be done, I might know a guy or gal or two or three.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:20 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:17 pm I'm not aware of anyone who has done a complete translation of the light novel. It would be a lot of work for... well, very little. I know for damn sure we have no intention of doing it.

If, however, one of the rights-holders would like to pay for it to be done, I might know a guy or gal or two or three.
:lol:

Who else loves when people are just straight up honest? A breath of fresh air nowadays.

Also, who else appreciates Broly making Goku finally be proud of his Saiyan heritage? Finally using his birth name; "Kakarot."
Goku is saying; "after that whooping this behemoth gave me, I better start acknowledging my DNA tree."
Goku being motivated by the fact that a mere Saiyan could possibly be stronger than Beerus, who is a god, gives him great hope he can Surpass Beerus!

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:24 pm

Miracles wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:20 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:17 pm I'm not aware of anyone who has done a complete translation of the light novel. It would be a lot of work for... well, very little. I know for damn sure we have no intention of doing it.

Who else loves when people are just straight up honest? A breath of fresh air nowadays.

Also, who else appreciates Broly making Goku finally be proud of his Saiyan heritage? Finally using his birth name; "Kakarot."
Goku is saying; "after that whooping this behemoth gave me, I better start acknowledging my DNA tree."
Goku being motivated by the fact that a mere Saiyan could possibly be stronger than Beerus, who is a god, gives him great hope he can Surpass Beerus!
Goku was never really ashamed of his Saiyan heritage to begin with, at least not in the case of the manga. Toei were the ones who had him say things like “I ain’t a Saiyan, I’m an Earthling” and “I’m not Kakarotto, I’m Son Goku!”

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:44 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:24 pm

Goku was never really ashamed of his Saiyan heritage to begin with, at least not in the case of the manga. Toei were the ones who had him say things like “I ain’t a Saiyan, I’m an Earthling” and “I’m not Kakarotto, I’m Son Goku!”
Goku never really acknowledged his Saiyan heritage. First time ever he has referred to himself as "Kakarot." He showed some pride in it after witnessing Broly's might, a Saiyan.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:25 pm

Miracles wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:44 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:24 pm

Goku never really acknowledged his Saiyan heritage. First time ever he has referred to himself as "Kakarot." He showed some pride in it after witnessing Broly's might, a Saiyan.
I will acknowledge that this is the first time I can think of where he’s referred to himself by his Saiyan name, but even as far back as the Saiyan saga, he had no problem informing Kaio of his Saiyan heritage, and he even used the fact that he’s a Saiyan to justify his desire to fight Vegeta again. Then, of course, there was that time he delivered a whole speech to Freeza about how he’s become the legendary Super Saiyan.