Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:51 pm

I don't think repopulating the saiyan race is anything toriyama cares to write about. You guys are looking way to deep into this stuff

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:20 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
calling it now, one of them is female so the saiyans can have an 'Eve' to repopulate from
I don't think repopulating is a thing Gokû and Vegeta care about. Brolli's already got a small circle of friends (and girlfriend in Chelye?) and even so you need way more than one woman to repopulate an entire species.

I'm not that invested in the topic (I care way more about how Gokû, Vegeta, and Brolli will interact as a group in the future) but since I was quoted, I looked it up.
BBC wrote:“Basically you need 50 breeding individuals to avoid inbreeding depression and 500 in order to adapt,” he says. It’s a rule still used today – though it’s been upped to 500-5,000 to account for random losses when genes are passed from one generation to the next – to inform the IUCN Red List, which catalogues the world’s most threatened species.
Source: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2016011 ... late-earth
who said anything about it being goku and vegeta doing said repopulating?

I'm not talking 'pure' saiyans either. There is also the possibility of breeding with the other half breeds from other saiyans. Yes they wont be pure but they will stay majority saiyan. Who knows? this could breed out the problems the race has like vulnerable tails etc. This could extend to Goten and Bulla, a hypothetical Tarble child being with a hypothetical broly kid who then go on to have a lot of offspring.

The saiyans are strongly at risk of dying off, and a female pureblood being able to have a lot of children is at least one idea for the race to come back stronger than just four dudes and only two of them had kids like the Z series info we were given by raditz.

Just throwing it out there.

If there is a female though... there's going to be a lot of doujins...

You're talking more about Dragon Ball Online in-universe type stuff. Next gen and or hundreds of years from now stuff.

I'm definitely not the one for this conversation then because I really have no interest in any of that.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:27 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:I don't think repopulating the saiyan race is anything toriyama cares to write about. You guys are looking way to deep into this stuff
I'm not, I just think Toriyama's probably going to have a female in there somewhere, and if one of those other saiyans is there, they may pair up.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:28 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:I don't think repopulating the saiyan race is anything toriyama cares to write about. You guys are looking way to deep into this stuff
I'm not, I just think Toriyama's probably going to have a female in there somewhere, and if one of those other saiyans is there, they may pair up.
Goku, Vegeta and Tarble are all married. That would leave Broly, but a lot of people seem to think that there’s supposed to be something between him and Chirai.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:33 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/a ... m_name=dbz

He called Kale female broly :lol:

Also wanted to make ssb look strong, Gogeta did a good job with that
It seems Toriyama-sensei’s script came first.
Director Tatsuya Nagamine: That’s right. This story was definitely made by Toriyama-sensei!! So we tried as much as possible to keep all the dialogue the same and do our best from there. We’re standing on Toriyama’s shoulders. But we used our whole bag of tricks when it came to the battles. In other words, we put all our effort into drawing battle scenes that would lend weight to Toriyama-sensei’s dialogue.
This is a good idea. They should continue this trend from here on out. This is what I was talking about. Toriyama/Toyotaro focus on the writing. Let TOEI handle the battles, this will make for an ultimate DBS anime!!!

Also the different fighting styles of Super Saiyan god and Blue are something new. Didn't realize god focuses more on predicting and dodging and godly techniques instead of power. This must be why Toriyama wanted the red form to have a slim build. Blue focuses on brute strength and the director stated the gap between red and blue is huge!

Nice short read, thank you.

Broli Broly

Post by Broli Broly » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:11 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Goku, Vegeta and Tarble are all married. That would leave Broly, but a lot of people seem to think that there’s supposed to be something between him and Chirai.
I don't think Toriyama views Chirai as Waifu for Broly! I bet she's Jaco's ex-girlfriend whom he still loves. The story needs a main, U7 female Saiyan (Pan and Bulla will never be relevant as they are still babies). If there will be a female Saiyan among those three survivors, then the chances of her becoming engaged with Broly is pretty high I would say. We've had enough with Saiyan hybrids, we need more pure-blooded Saiyans.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:33 pm

Broli Broly wrote:
WittyUsername wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
I don't think Toriyama views Chirai as Waifu for Broly! I bet she's Jaco's ex-girlfriend whom he still loves. The story needs a main, U7 female Saiyan (Pan and Bulla will never be relevant as they are still babies). If there will be a female Saiyan among those three survivors, then the chances of her becoming engaged with Broly is pretty high I would say. We've had enough with Saiyan hybrids, we need more pure-blooded Saiyans.
unlikely with her being on the run from the galactic patrol for being a criminal, but it depends I guess.

I think Broly isnt going to be with anyone just yet till he understands relationships that dont have manipulative connotations, which leaves Tarble having a bzarre hybrid child (if they even can) and whoever else is out there.

mahakaishin1991

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:35 pm

WittyUsername wrote:
mahakaishin1991 wrote:
Again, I never specified any of those three. We do however, know there are a few more, leaving the odds of a male and female out there. or the remaining missing numbers could all be female? Who knows.

It would blow my mind if it turns out for some random reason it was Tora and Selipa. That would be both hilarious and cool to me

*crashes on earth*

Bardock! *tackles Goku* We didnt die we just got a big zenkai boost!

Goku: Whats a Bardock?

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:39 pm

I really don't think it's going to matter if there is a female U7 Saiyan around and if there was, I doubt she'd be there as a girlfriend for Broly. Hell it could end up being Broly's mother, who left the planet after finding out her child had been exiled and her husband vanished to track down their son, only to never return. So she herself went off to find them, but was never able to, and could never return to Planet Vegeta because it had been destroyed. Now alone in the universe she decides to settle down on a quiet world, either someplace to fight and entertain herself, or just a quiet corner of an unconquered world to just live out the rest of her days.

That would actually be more interesting. To have Broly roam across the cosmos with Chirai after the movie and, while Goku and co deal with the Galactic Prisoner, Broly is lead on a journey to find the last remaining Saiyans, only to discover his aging mother, alone and forgotten. It would be a powerful reunion for two people, a mother and child, who have both lost so much and have been apart, believing the other to be dead for decades.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:48 pm

Shaddy wrote:Nah, if Kale and Caulifla get any romantic development it should be with each other. There's no repopulation going on there.
Cabba x Caulfila fans will contend with that lol.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:00 pm

I hate how the director says the story was made by Toriyama-san. Re-doing the story of another person and doing some add-ons does not make you the creator of the story, just the creator of that specific version. And I hope they properly credit Koyama-san for the movie. It has to be done legally anyway.
You hate that he stated a fact?
I know your urge to try and always respond to somebody with a disagreeing post but you could have saved yourself some time by actually bringing my first sentence together with the other sentence as you obviously understood what I was talking about. "You hate that he stated a fact" is thus a completely nonsensical question - you very well knew what my first sentence was about. But you are on my ignore anyway so consider this the final post as you clearly have no interest in a proper argument if you really go that far to act like Broly was Toriyama-san's idea and you do not need to credt the original creator of an idea.

There's no re-doing of anything. There are no add-ons. It's an original story from Toriyama. And there's no legal obligation to credit someone else that has nothing to do with the movie.
Yes, it is a re-do. He takes pieces of the story of Broly including the idea of Broly which was not his own. And yes, there is absolutely the legal obligation to credit the creator of Broly for that. Whether you like it or not. Taking Broly's idea and saying "oh he rewrote Broly, now he is the original creator of Broly" does not erase the fact that Koyama-san is the original creator of Broly. Also it is about as wrong as one can be to say "when somebody has no involvement with the movie you do not need to credit him". That's like stating "oh, George Lucas did not participate in the Star Wars movies, he does not need to be mentioned" or actual remakes (does not matter if remake or actual continuation of things, the one who did it first will always be the one who did it first) or anything alike where an idea that was not yours was re-used by you. Akira Toriyama did not create Broly. Period. You can sue people for not crediting your contribution and if your idea was used in a piece of work, even if you actually were not participating it is still a contribution from your side that you get the credit for. I do even need to quote my former professor in one of my course years ago because that is so elementary. You get credit for what you created. Akira Toriyama did not create Broly. Yes, it is a re-doing as he took ideas that already existed and re-arranged/rewrote them. Yes, he added things to the already rewritten story of Broly as well as did he add things that were not directly related to Broly before such as his original Minus story. It would be a difference if Takao Koyama had an idea but never did anything before and then suddenly someone came and did something. You cannot sue somebody for that. But that's not the same thing here. Not saying anybody will be sued. Its just that people need to be credited properly. Using your own version of something does have this kind of magical effect of replacing the other name of the original creator with yours. If I get to write a Spider-Man movie with my own new version of Spider-Man I will not replace Stan Lee and Steve Ditko as the original creators of Spider-Man. If Toei would suddenly decide to fully redo the story of Dragon BAll without any involvement of Akira Toriyama, they would still need to credit him for that as the one who originally made Dragon Ball. I can stop with the examples here.
Last edited by Cetra on Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:10 pm

Well considering the upcoming Sadala arc in SDBH, it might be a thing in Super later on.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:13 pm

Cetra wrote:I hate how the director says the story was made by Toriyama-san.
You hate that he stated a fact?
Cetra wrote:Re-doing the story of another person and doing some add-ons does not make you the creator of the story, just the creator of that specific version. And I hope they properly credit Koyama-san for the movie. It has to be done legally anyway.
There's no re-doing of anything. There are no add-ons. It's an original story from Toriyama. And there's no legal obligation to credit someone else that has nothing to do with the movie.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:45 pm

Is this a legit interview? Because this part intrigues me... Well... Lucky for King Vegeta and many other Saiyans that don't have a huge fanbase, otherwise they would all be pissed now. Basically "hey, most of the Saiyans became Freeza's b**ch but Bardock's the man".
Nagamine wrote:Nagamine: I think this movie starts after they’ve lost their original pride as a warrior race. During the flashback scene, Bardock is really the only pure warrior race Saiyan. The others have all been tamed by Freeza’s army. Despite being from a warrior race, even King Vegeta doesn’t challenge Freeza to a fight or anything like that. Instead he just bows and scrapes before Freeza and uses underhanded tactics against his own subordinates. Rather than a warrior race’s pride per se, I think Bardock maintains something of their pure nature
Loved it, but I'm kinda pissed myself as I like King Vegeta a lot, a shame that Nagamine said that about him.

Also, new Gogeta scan/image. Better look at him.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 pm

Grimlock wrote:Is this a legit interview? Because this part intrigues me... Well... Lucky for King Vegeta and many other Saiyans that don't have a huge fanbase, otherwise they would all be pissed now. Basically "hey, most of the Saiyans became Freeza's b**ch but Bardock's the man".
Nagamine wrote:Nagamine: I think this movie starts after they’ve lost their original pride as a warrior race. During the flashback scene, Bardock is really the only pure warrior race Saiyan. The others have all been tamed by Freeza’s army. Despite being from a warrior race, even King Vegeta doesn’t challenge Freeza to a fight or anything like that. Instead he just bows and scrapes before Freeza and uses underhanded tactics against his own subordinates. Rather than a warrior race’s pride per se, I think Bardock maintains something of their pure nature
Loved it, but I'm kinda pissed myself as I like King Vegeta a lot, a shame that Nagamine said that about him.

Also, new Gogeta scan/image. Better look at him.
Way to ruin the lore surrounding the Saiyans Nagamine smh.

King Vegeta and a bunch of his follows in Z were actually the first start a rebellion against Freeza before Bardock did. They ruined King Vegeta's character with this change smh. At least SDB Heroes does the character more justice.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:10 pm

Miracles wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/a ... m_name=dbz

He called Kale female broly :lol:

Also wanted to make ssb look strong, Gogeta did a good job with that
It seems Toriyama-sensei’s script came first.
Director Tatsuya Nagamine: That’s right. This story was definitely made by Toriyama-sensei!! So we tried as much as possible to keep all the dialogue the same and do our best from there. We’re standing on Toriyama’s shoulders. But we used our whole bag of tricks when it came to the battles. In other words, we put all our effort into drawing battle scenes that would lend weight to Toriyama-sensei’s dialogue.
This is a good idea. They should continue this trend from here on out. This is what I was talking about. Toriyama/Toyotaro focus on the writing. Let TOEI handle the battles, this will make for an ultimate DBS anime!!!

Also the different fighting styles of Super Saiyan god and Blue are something new. Didn't realize god focuses more on predicting and dodging and godly techniques instead of power. This must be why Toriyama wanted the red form to have a slim build. Blue focuses on brute strength and the director stated the gap between red and blue is huge!

Nice short read, thank you.
While I 100% agree that a big aspect of any future anime involving DB should be a focus on action(that's part of why the new designs were introduced), I think I would be remiss to mention that its almost impossible for Toriyama to be 100% involved in the script making process for something like a television anime. I also don't really see the manga ever getting far enough ahead to really be a good source to completely bounce off either, however, I still think if a new series from Super were to maintain close contact with Toriyama, while still having a chief writer overseeing and supervising the project beside him, we'd still be able to get something at least coherent in terms of storytelling.

Either way, I think direction is still a big point of notice that I think kind of gets overlooked. I think back on Z, directors like Shigeyasu Yamauchi did absolutely fantastic work in genuinely elaborating on scenes from the manga that were kind of brushed over, and turning them into some of the most striking moments in the anime adaptation of those arcs. I think the most popular example would be in episode 156 of DBZ where Vegeta and Trunks' time in the room of spirit and time was dramatically expanded upon and made into something that effectively conveyed the extreme training that Vegeta and Trunks subjected themselves to.
RecolorSaiyan wrote:Also wanted to make ssb look strong, Gogeta did a good job with that
Referring to both your points, I think Blue being this sort of "bulldozer" form has kind of already been demonstrated in short action scenes like this from the trailer where Goku is fighting Broly head on and overpowering him.
I feel like stuff like this will be in contrast to what we've seen from SSG in the trailers, where we've seen Goku uses that paralysing lightning technique, as well as what we've heard in the spoilers.
I think the difference between SSG being a more defensive and elegant form and Blue being a more upfront fighter will be interesting to see.

Oracle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Oracle » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:01 am

Last edited by Oracle on Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:03 am

Oracle wrote:
How would you like your Gogeta? Yellow, Blue, or Black.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Oracle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Oracle » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:07 am

dbzfan7 wrote:
Oracle wrote:
How would you like your Gogeta? Yellow, Blue, or Black.
Do you have one in red? :(