Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Matches Malone » Wed May 27, 2020 2:06 am

KorgDTR2000 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:27 pmHis origin is functionally identical to the original but, in my opinion, is far less interesting and dramatic. They were moody and ugly. The image of Broly and Paragus dying on a trash heap has always stuck with me. They said so much with very little.

His trauma is played for sympathy, but being sympathetic is basically his entire character. He's just a nice guy who goes insane from time to time. He gets points for actually having scenes where he's a person and talks to people, but that just disappears once the actual fighting starts.

The new Broly doesn't replace the old one in my mind.
Completely agree. What I miss most from his original story is just how brutal the Saiyans are. Don't get me wrong, sending a baby to live alone on a lifeless planet is pretty bad on its own, but it pales in comparison to seeing a baby stabbed through the stomach by the king. It's one thing to do what they do to other fighters, but that's a baby, that's a whole new level of messed up. I feel Broly's new origin connects to Toriyama's attempt at making the Saiyans look better than they were envisioned, going as far as to have Paragus even justify exiling him. What they did to Broly in his original movie definitely adds credit to Freeza saying he may be bad, but he's nowhere near as bad as they were.

The issue I have with all the fighting in the new movie, is that a few scenes before Broly says he doesn't like fighting, yet doesn't even argue when his father tells him to attack Goku and Vegeta. I think they should've had him say no, only to be forced into fighting through that electric device. it'd at least line up with what he said before. At least in the original they depicted him as a blood thirsty savage, so it made sense when he attacked everyone the way he did. Speaking of the fight, he didn't do anything to show just how strong he was. In the original movie, he was fighting 4 Saiyans and a Namakian at their strongest, at the same time, and was wiping the floor with them. Here, not only did Goku and Vegeta manage to fight him one on one and remain in control of the fight, they did it while not even using their strongest forms. Once Gogeta showed up, he turned Broly into a punching bag.

Not a chance. I enjoyed the new movie for what it is (a cash grab), but there's a reason why the original Z movie 8 has remained as popular as it has until now, and will remain so far into the future.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:57 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:06 am
KorgDTR2000 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:27 pmHis origin is functionally identical to the original but, in my opinion, is far less interesting and dramatic. They were moody and ugly. The image of Broly and Paragus dying on a trash heap has always stuck with me. They said so much with very little.

His trauma is played for sympathy, but being sympathetic is basically his entire character. He's just a nice guy who goes insane from time to time. He gets points for actually having scenes where he's a person and talks to people, but that just disappears once the actual fighting starts.

The new Broly doesn't replace the old one in my mind.
Completely agree. What I miss most from his original story is just how brutal the Saiyans are. Don't get me wrong, sending a baby to live alone on a lifeless planet is pretty bad on its own, but it pales in comparison to seeing a baby stabbed through the stomach by the king. It's one thing to do what they do to other fighters, but that's a baby, that's a whole new level of messed up. I feel Broly's new origin connects to Toriyama's attempt at making the Saiyans look better than they were envisioned, going as far as to have Paragus even justify exiling him. What they did to Broly in his original movie definitely adds credit to Freeza saying he may be bad, but he's nowhere near as bad as they were.
On that point specifically, isn't sending a baby alone to another planet just what they do anyway? Whats the difference between what they did to Broly and what they did to Kakarot or who knows how many other Saiyan babies?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:15 pm

KorgDTR2000 wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:57 pmIsn't sending a baby alone to another planet just what they do anyway? Whats the difference between what they did to Broly and what they did to Kakarot or who knows how many other Saiyan babies?
The issue Paragus had was Vampa being an unlivable planet. With other Saiyans, they send them to normal planets that they themselves will visit later to collect the Saiyan. Broly was essentially sent there to die, which like I said is bad, but nowhere near as bad as stabbing him in the stomach like the original.

AlexFili
Beyond Newbie

Post by AlexFili » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:54 am

Just wanted to say I really loved this film. I'm glad they gave some time in the spotlight for the saiyan characters, especially a bit of time for Raditz and Nappa who get overlooked sometimes. Great way of rebooting Broly into the canon in a meaningful way. I'm glad he is less mindless in this version.
=
Singer, Swordfighter and Livestreamer

Like Dragonball Z: Legendary Super Warriors for GBC? Check out our Wordpress site which contains all the Character Focus articles and Let's Play Video Links! http://legendarysuperwarriors.wordpress.com/
=

dbs fanboy
Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:57 am

Noitsnothim wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 4:11 pm Now the post movie hype has died, what is everyone's opinions on Broly
I feel the same way as when the movie came out, it's just a nice db film, nothing more, nothing less.

Back then, the moment it was revealed that this new movie would be about Broly, i stopped caring about the "plot".All i cared about was the animation, the character designs, Broly not dying...........etc. Anything more than that would just be icing on the cake.
I got what i wanted and, moved on.

Also, yeah, i prefer this Broly to the old one, z Broly just bores me at this point everytime he's back he's just a raging monster, who then rages about "bla bla, Kakarotto" and is then killed off to never seen again until some bullshit is brought up, it's just lame, i'm tired of him.
Dbs Broly was not a super great and developed character, he kinda felt like Gohan, I don't trust modern db to do something super special with him, but the mere fact that:
1.He's not evil
2. Both Goku and Freeza seem to be after him.
3. He actually has someone to care about.
Opens way more possibilites to future stories than "huh, durr I'm evil and i hate Kakarot"
I could actually picture an spinoff with this Broly living his own adventures along with Chelai and Lemo, heck i wouldn't even mind if he didn't met Goku and the gang ever again. I can't say the same about old dbz Broly.

So yeah, overall i liked, it didn't have a plot, it was just what it was, a fanservice film used to introduce a character.However it managed to be enjoyable, gave some justice to db aesthetic and made Broly bearable; Freeza was fine, and i like the existence of ikari as a pseudo ssj4 (might as well just make it canon at this point). I guess my only complaint would be Minus.
I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

SSGSWarrior

Post by SSGSWarrior » Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:47 am

I liked the movie too. I hope when the Dragon Ball Super comes back as an anime, they put the movie content in the series like they did with DBZ BoG and DBZRoF. Then Broly can make more appearances in the anime, possibly to even help Goku against bigger threats!

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:20 pm

SSGSWarrior wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:47 am I liked the movie too. I hope when the Dragon Ball Super comes back as an anime, they put the movie content in the series like they did with DBZ BoG and DBZRoF. Then Broly can make more appearances in the anime, possibly to even help Goku against bigger threats!
Why waste episodes when the movie is already there ? BOG and RF's adaptions were nothing but a waste of time for everyone involved, they don't need to make the same mistake with Broly.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:50 pm

From what I understand, the decision to adapt BoG and RF for the anime was done in order to buy time for Toriyama to come up with new stories. Considering that they seem to be taking their time with bringing back the anime (assuming they’re going to do that), I see no reason why they’d need to resort to that again.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:27 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:50 pm From what I understand, the decision to adapt BoG and RF for the anime was done in order to buy time for Toriyama to come up with new stories. Considering that they seem to be taking their time with bringing back the anime (assuming they’re going to do that), I see no reason why they’d need to resort to that again.
That was most likely the reason, but I remember the official justification being that Toriyama believed Beerus and Whis, and I guess Golden Freeza, were too important to not set up for anime-only viewers. I think that excuse is pretty BS, because it's overwhelmingly likely that most people watching Super would have at least been aware of the events of Battle of Gods and the events of Resurrection F can be adequately explained in a few sentences. I have a bad feeling that the same justification may be used for Broly, but hopefully they've learned from their mistakes.

In any case, I really don't think Broly is cut out to be an anime arc at all. I loved the movie, but the plot is pretty paper thin when you get down to it and there's very little room for any more story beats to be expanded on without bloating it with unnecessary filler like in the previous movie adaptations. Broly a perfectly serviceable story, but it works because it's tight and compact -- it's designed to work in a single feature film format. The only things I can think of would be seeing more of Freeza and Whis vs. Broly, and Goku's character arc being fleshed out. The movie's main appeal, the stellar animation, would inevitably be downgraded for TV. Why watch the exact same story but with worse animation, y'know?

Hobby Bill
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hobby Bill » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:24 am

Hypothetically, if Toei were to stick to movies what stories SHOULD they tell? It seems that Dragon Ball has said all it needs to at this point (lore aside).

Battle of Gods explored what pride means to Goku, and how he feels like he's cheating himself by having to resort to his new God form to stand a chance with Beerus. Dragon Ball started with Goku, and it would have been very fitting to end it with him as well. Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo etc. all had their arcs.

Resurrection F and the rest of Super were all in service of the idea of the "former foes becoming allies" trope we've seen tackled many times in DB. This time it culminated with the final arc in the form of Freeza and 17 fighting alongside Goku.

Broly sort of addresses that same idea, while tackling themes of 'not wanting to do what's expected of you'. Come to think of it, Gohan's arc in early to mid Z, and Broly's arc in the film have that in common, only difference is one is more streamlined than the other.

So I ask again. What really NEEDS to be said with Dragon Ball?

All I want is a stunning and definitive 'post end of Z' ending.

SSGSWarrior

Post by SSGSWarrior » Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:59 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:20 pm
SSGSWarrior wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:47 am I liked the movie too. I hope when the Dragon Ball Super comes back as an anime, they put the movie content in the series like they did with DBZ BoG and DBZRoF. Then Broly can make more appearances in the anime, possibly to even help Goku against bigger threats!
Why waste episodes when the movie is already there ? BOG and RF's adaptions were nothing but a waste of time for everyone involved, they don't need to make the same mistake with Broly.
I thought it was a mistake at first too when those episodes came out, but I feel it gave the anime a chance to explore and use those characters more. If Golden Frieza was only in the movie, then I don't think he's be in the Tournament of Power because then his Golden Form wouldn't have been introduced in the anime. They have to introduce Broly in the anime series because for those who aren't obsessed like us and don't follow every detail of Dragon Ball, they might end up missing on the fact there is a movie that explains him.

I don't know if that explains what I am trying to say, but I get where you're coming from, it's just it wouldn't make sense to go outside of the anime series and to the movie to get information on a character.

Kaywayk

Post by Kaywayk » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:48 pm

Hobby Bill wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:24 am Hypothetically, if Toei were to stick to movies what stories SHOULD they tell? It seems that Dragon Ball has said all it needs to at this point (lore aside).

Battle of Gods explored what pride means to Goku, and how he feels like he's cheating himself by having to resort to his new God form to stand a chance with Beerus. Dragon Ball started with Goku, and it would have been very fitting to end it with him as well. Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo etc. all had their arcs.

Resurrection F and the rest of Super were all in service of the idea of the "former foes becoming allies" trope we've seen tackled many times in DB. This time it culminated with the final arc in the form of Freeza and 17 fighting alongside Goku.

Broly sort of addresses that same idea, while tackling themes of 'not wanting to do what's expected of you'. Come to think of it, Gohan's arc in early to mid Z, and Broly's arc in the film have that in common, only difference is one is more streamlined than the other.

So I ask again. What really NEEDS to be said with Dragon Ball?

All I want is a stunning and definitive 'post end of Z' ending.
I think there's a lot that can still be said with Dragonball, if the creators think a little outside the box and finally, FINALLY move on from the pre-End of Z stasis the series seems to be in.

A story about the new generation and the struggle to live up to the idolized heroes of the past would fit right into post-End of Z, and could easily feature Uub as a main character; I imagine having to live up to Goku's expectations would be a good source of inner conflict for him. If Toriyama keeps insisting Goku is not a good guy, why not show it? Have Goku do something reckless and his sucessors (Uub, Pan, Goku Jr., whoever you want really) have to clean up the mess; then they realize the heroes they worship have flaws just like them. I'd say it's a good message.

Heck, just go crazy with it. Have Bra or Pan be horrified to learn their ancestors are crazy space raiders. Introduce a wall that Goku finally CANNOT overcome at all, no matter how hard he tries; have him struggle to come to terms with hitting his limits.

I know in general the franchise doesn't really deal with emotional conflicts, but there have been attempts at telling deeper stories with actual themes before, such as the Saiyan arc (because yes, there is a theme there, no matter how much Toriyama denies it). I think if they really insist on reviving this franchise, they NEED to do things the franchise has never really done before. I'm honestly beginning to think the whole "Toriyama must approve!! " mentality is holding the franchise back at this point; it's been two decades, the person he was when he wrote Dragonball is not the person he is today.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:00 am

SSGSWarrior wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:59 pmThey have to introduce Broly in the anime series because for those who aren't obsessed like us and don't follow every detail of Dragon Ball, they might end up missing on the fact there is a movie that explains him.
Broly made more $$$ than both BOG and RF combined, I highly doubt there's a DB fan alive who hasn't seen it, or at the very least knows everything about it.

Hobby Bill
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Hobby Bill » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:03 am

Kaywayk wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:48 pm
A story about the new generation and the struggle to live up to the idolized heroes of the past would fit right into post-End of Z, and could easily feature Uub as a main character; I imagine having to live up to Goku's expectations would be a good source of inner conflict for him. If Toriyama keeps insisting Goku is not a good guy, why not show it? Have Goku do something reckless and his sucessors (Uub, Pan, Goku Jr., whoever you want really) have to clean up the mess; then they realize the heroes they worship have flaws just like them. I'd say it's a good message.

Heck, just go crazy with it. Have Bra or Pan be horrified to learn their ancestors are crazy space raiders. Introduce a wall that Goku finally CANNOT overcome at all, no matter how hard he tries; have him struggle to come to terms with hitting his limits.
These are really good ideas actually. But, I'm afraid that Toei would rather stick to Goku & Vegeta. For the latter case, I think it's time to wrap things up. But the ideas you suggested are great. If Uub and the rest of the cast could carry that story, I would be all for it.

SSGSWarrior

Post by SSGSWarrior » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:46 am

Hobby Bill wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:03 am
Kaywayk wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:48 pm

These are really good ideas actually. But, I'm afraid that Toei would rather stick to Goku & Vegeta. For the latter case, I think it's time to wrap things up. But the ideas you suggested are great. If Uub and the rest of the cast could carry that story, I would be all for it.
I agree, the ideas are great, but for just myself, I know I would be less interested just because Goku and Vegeta aren't the main points. Even in Dragon Ball Z and Super, when Goku especially wasnt in the picture, then I didnt enjoy as much as when he was.

Xeno Goku Black
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Xeno Goku Black » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:29 am

Does this thread still need to be stickied? The movie is almost two years old.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:37 am

Been a while since I’ve posted in these forums, but I wanted to share something that I found pretty interesting while rewatching the dub of the film the other day.

So I decided to rent the movie on this app called Bigscreen where you can watch movies in VR (y’know, cause why not?) and I noticed some slight differences.

Here’s a video.

I’m assuming this is an unfinished version of the dub that Funimation accidentally gave to Bigscreen? Vegeta’s line is different in the first scene. Pretty much all of Broly’s yells once he goes berserk sound like they’re at a higher pitch. Or rather, they hadn’t changed the pitch yet because Vic Mignogna really can’t yell like that lmao. And Shenron’s last line is missing and he just vanishes without saying a thing. :lol:

So yeah, kinda weird but also kinda interesting.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:24 pm

So I never import stuff but I'd really like to get a copy of Super Broly without the green tint, i.e. MangaUK release. Where does someone in the States go to buy that?
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:23 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:24 pm So I never import stuff but I'd really like to get a copy of Super Broly without the green tint, i.e. MangaUK release. Where does someone in the States go to buy that?
If it isn't possible to just get it directly through online stores, then you have to do it in an alternative way.
You get someone in the UK to buy it for you and then they send it to you for a fee.
I used a site called parcl, when I bought the DBZ 30th Anniversary set, because the official licensers don't have the rights to distribute it to my country.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:29 am

dbgtFO wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:23 pm I used a site called parcl, when I bought the DBZ 30th Anniversary set, because the official licensers don't have the rights to distribute it to my country.
I just checked this website and apparently it will cost me $85 to ship a $10 Blu-ray.

I think I may just put on my eye patch for this one. lol
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃