Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:36 pm

Noah wrote:
PFM18 wrote:He doesn't have any douchey one-liners like he does in the first one. Once he enters his rampage, I don't think he speaks at all but I haven't actually seen the movie yet either. As far as I understand, he at least doesn't talk during his time as a SSJ/LSSJ like he does in Movie 8.
Which is lame, they took the best part of the original character: his sadistic side, making Broly an unstoppable force and just that on his more powerful form is like having another Jiren as the antagonist.
He's an infinitely more nuanced character this way, and this time around it sure as hell isnt lame that his character doesn't revolve around a baby crying.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:52 pm

Talking about some spoilers confirmed.

The way King Vegeta tried to get rid of Broly in the original Movie is much more logical. In the new Movie he just orders for Broly to be sent to a dangerous planet expecting he doesn't survive and lets Paragus go after him, instead of trying to get rid of them himself...

Freeza says he's not interested in immortality anymore, because it's not really useful if he still can't do anything. I guess those extra 5 cm will help him a lot in accomplishing his goals ?! :roll:
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:55 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Talking about some spoilers confirmed.

The way King Vegeta tried to get rid of Broly in the original Movie is much more logical. In the new Movie he just orders for Broly to be sent to a dangerous planet expecting he doesn't survive and lets Paragus go after him, instead of trying to get rid of them himself...

Freeza says he's not interested in immortality anymore, because it's not really useful if he still can't do anything. I guess those extra 5 cm will help him a lot in accomplishing his goals ?! :roll:
King Vegeta also tells Paragus where he sent Broly, which is weird...
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:14 pm

Isn't Paragus his right hand or something like that? he had somewhat of an excuse for sending Broly to another planet, but what is King Vegeta supposed to tell Paragus if he just kills Broly?

sending Broly to planet vampa gives him the chance to try to convince Paragus, if he just killed Broly, Paragus will probably had started a complot to dethrone him.

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:20 pm

Noah wrote:
PFM18 wrote:He doesn't have any douchey one-liners like he does in the first one. Once he enters his rampage, I don't think he speaks at all but I haven't actually seen the movie yet either. As far as I understand, he at least doesn't talk during his time as a SSJ/LSSJ like he does in Movie 8.
Which is lame, they took the best part of the original character: his sadistic side, making Broly an unstoppable force and just that on his more powerful form is like having another Jiren as the antagonist.
This kind of vilain can't be developped further, once you know a vilain is a sadistic unstoppable killing spree machine what can you add to this kind of character nothing. Those vilain sucks and are lame, you want a good vilain take Dracula in the Castlevania Netflix series and mostly the games if you think about it this guy lost two woman he loved with passion, and one lost by the hand of humanity burned for witchcraft. This vilain I can relate, losing a cherished wife twice, since fate telling you, you will never be happy and find warmth against a women heart, wrost some scumbag church guys who by their crazy idea of religion kill one of your beloved to follow the book of God, that's can drive you nuts and I understand the rage and evil of Dracula upon mankind.

I can relate with Zamasu because on one hand he is right Mortal human can't stop somehow fighting we are to each other always in confrontation, we go to war, we fight for things that don't matter really. So somehow his idea of zero mortal plan I can relate. Same for Frieza, this guy he is the embodiment of greed something that us all can relate he wants power seize the higher throne for himself and look how he is a scheming cunning bastard, that is a part of us that once in a while when we are grumpy we can relate.

But the bulldozer vilain that kill anything like a berserk nope there is nothing good with this kind of character. Once you develop everything on this kind of character you can't add more. Ok he destroy the universe 7 in its entirety and then what ? Univers 6 but what if he succeed to destroy all 12 Universes then what ? He will remain alone in a destroyed multiverse alone ZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzz BORING ! Broly in is creation that's a creation of a character for a 6 years school kid. If I were 6 or 12 yeah maybe Evil Broly destroyer of world so edgy cool. But now I need layer I need characterization. I need vilain with ambition. I find nothing ambitious toward Broly from movie 8/10.

That's why and Toriyama knew well that Broly needed to be rebooted for being easier to integrate into his universe and developped upon. His Hulk/Tarzan characterization are perfect for Broly.

If you wanted Broly to be vilain for then to be killed and send right into hell, well then you have the Movie 8 and 10 for that.
YamiGoku wrote:

Isn't Paragus his right hand or something like that? he had somewhat of an excuse for sending Broly to another planet, but what is King Vegeta supposed to tell Paragus if he just kills Broly?

sending Broly to planet vampa gives him the chance to try to convince Paragus, if he just killed Broly, Paragus will probably had started a complot to dethrone him.
Yes he is his right hand for military stuff, and the action of the King is logical, with this action sending Broly away and telling Paragus where he is reinforce his dominance towards his subject seeing him as a benevolent king who are not that ungratteful for those who serve him. A ruthless king never rule long enough, but if you reign with a firm hand by being kind sometimes and ruthless at other times you make sure that your reign will be long and prosper.
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:27 pm

So anyone following JP Twitter and social media in general, how are the reactions following the private screening? The first couple of days it was mostly focused on the seats issue, but that should've died down with the official statement.
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Positive as a whole. The battle scenes were praised a lot as expected, especially the final battle. Some people on 5ch were bothered by the battle power scaling and Freeza characterization, but it seems the majority had a good time.

Draconic
I Live Here

Post by Draconic » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Positive as a whole. The battle scenes were praised a lot as expected, especially the final battle. Some people on 5ch were bothered by the battle power scaling and Freeza characterization, but it seems the majority had a good time.
Thanks !
Check out the videos below, made by yours truly!

Goku vs Beerus BOG/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/kKKnMe

Vegeta vs Freeza ROF/Super mash-up https://gofile.io/d/MKPepW

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:32 pm

Noah wrote:
Yes, movie 8 Broly was a beast. Love the way he just talked mess and smiled at the chaos. He truly exemplified the destructive persona of the legendary Super Saiyan.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:16 pm

This kind of vilain can't be developped further, once you know a vilain is a sadistic unstoppable killing spree machine what can you add to this kind of character nothing. Those vilain sucks and are lame
That's not true !! :crazy: there was so much to do with Broly's old character but since he only appeared in 3 dbz movies he had to die one way or another, so him being a mindless monster in the second or third movie isn't a big deal. Toyble's Broly from DBAF is much more interesting than what we got now Broly:BR.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:25 pm

YamiGoku wrote:

And that's why just like the original Movie, King Vegeta should just try to get rid of Paragus too...
What if Paragus had succeeded and he returned to Planet Vegeta with Broly?! It would be stupid and make things worse, because Paragus could just tell everyone what King Vegeta did and how his son has more potential than the Prince...
Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Positive as a whole. The battle scenes were praised a lot as expected, especially the final battle. Some people on 5ch were bothered by the battle power scaling and Freeza characterization, but it seems the majority had a good time.
Well, if people had problems with Freeza's growth in ROF and later with Caulifla, Kale, Kefla and C17 power levels, it would be hypocritical of them to be okay with Broly's growth.
Good to know some japanese fans are also bothered by Freeza's characterization. That gag wish doesn't make any sense.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Miracles wrote:
Noah wrote:
Yes, movie 8 Broly was a beast. Love the way he just talked mess and smiled at the chaos. He truly exemplified the destructive persona of the legendary Super Saiyan.
I loved that as well. Especially how he legitimately enjoyed destroying that planet and killing Paragus for trying to trick him. This "Soft innocent do-no-wrong" Broly is so lame to me.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:52 pm

BrolyKale wrote:
Obviously this Broly is “different”. My understanding is that he doesn’t want to fight and can’t help the rage inside of him. He’s technically not a “bad guy”. The previous Broly was too extreme. Yeah he was blood thirsty, but completely lacked character. And not very smart.
The old Broly wasn't very smart? the new Broly is more stupid and incult, think of him as a second Goku with rage issues.
So basically, new Broly is just Gohan. :lol:

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:10 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Noah wrote:
He's an infinitely more nuanced character this way, and this time around it sure as hell isnt lame that his character doesn't revolve around a baby crying.
Unfortunately you’re wrong on Brolys motivations thus any comparison you would attempt to make would also be severely flawed.

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:13 pm

I am curious to see how they explain how is he tapping into the Oozaru power when his tail was cut off once Paragus found him on Vampa.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:17 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:I am curious to see how they explain how is he tapping into the Oozaru power when his tail was cut off once Paragus found him on Vampa.
I think you yourself summarized the explanation :lol: "He's tapping into the Oozaru power while in that form!" - Paragus

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:19 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Noah wrote:
I loved that as well. Especially how he legitimately enjoyed destroying that planet and killing Paragus for trying to trick him. This "Soft innocent do-no-wrong" Broly is so lame to me.
Exactly, people calling it "well written" just because he doesn't have the old backstory, yet i find the new iteration less appealing and straight up boring, making him a good guy was a terrible idea

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:22 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:Talking about some spoilers confirmed.The way King Vegeta tried to get rid of Broly in the original Movie is much more logical. In the new Movie he just orders for Broly to be sent to a dangerous planet expecting he doesn't survive and lets Paragus go after him, instead of trying to get rid of them himself...
It is questionable if that makes sense to do, especially without them clarifying the rank of the planet being too much for an infant and that King Vegeta sent him there hoping he'd die. If the spoilers are true and that King Vegeta lied about why he sent Broly there, then at least we can see it as King Vegeta trying to rig things for his own lineage, rather than just killing Broly because he's too strong. If it were a society I'd think it would be easier for them to accept it if it was just Paragus who conspired that King Vegeta lying, and acting out of jealousy, than him just openly murdering Broly, as it contradicts their old values. I'd want the idea of Broly being that strong, because of that plan backfiring. Though theatrically I think he should have at least tried to give Paragus some resistance instead of letting him just fly out of there.
FortuneSSJ wrote:Freeza says he's not interested in immortality anymore, because it's not really useful if he still can't do anything. I guess those extra 5 cm will help him a lot in accomplishing his goals ?! :roll:
Thats actually the thing I really dislike of his character in the movie. If immortality means you cant be physically killed, how would that be an issue if he was only in hell because he was dead? I don't really see how Freeza would accomplish anything with that gag making his motives so contrived. They even remind him his 2nd stage is far taller.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:33 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
Miracles wrote:
Noah wrote:
Yeah, from the spoilers it seems it kind of gives this Broly some type of victim persona. In contrast to the destructive loving Broly who is in control of his actions and embraces it.

I will never forget...

Broly: "Where are you going father?!"
Paragus: To seek asylum with you my son..."
Broly: "In a one seated pod?!"

*Proceeds to crumple him up like tin foil.*

lol
Last edited by Miracles on Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:42 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Miracles wrote: Yes, movie 8 Broly was a beast. Love the way he just talked mess and smiled at the chaos. He truly exemplified the destructive persona of the legendary Super Saiyan.
Exactly, people calling it "well written" just because he doesn't have the old backstory, yet i find the new iteration less appealing and straight up boring, making him a good guy was a terrible idea
Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it isn't well written. Broly now has a motivation and explanation for doing what he does instead of just "lol i'm the devil XD".
Feels over Reals.