Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:25 pm

Did we get a single story element in that entire trailer? I haven't seen a translated version so I don't know for certain but it certainly doesn't seem like it was anything other than fighting and things that we already know. And they still didn't fix the Freeza blowing up Planet Vegeta scene.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:26 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
ekrolo2 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVn8E0AXDsY
I'm very surprised Gogeta's not in it.
V-Jump will (very likely) reveal him in December.
He's definitely getting revealed this month and this months V Jump seems the best bet now.

But we all know we'll have a leak from the première so this was the perfect opportunity to minimize that and have a controlled reveal. Meh.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:27 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Rakurai wrote: Toriyama specifically wanted the retellings and added stuff like NBoL and this movie is under the DBS brand ergo the events of the retellings overide the movies.
How do you know this? So you're implying Toriyama wanted to recast Bulma's bday party on a cruise ship and include Ginyu the Frog + reference the events of DBZ filler? And what does NBoL mean?

I lean it more towards Toei so they can try to retroactively fit BoG/RoF continuity with Z/Kai. Toyo also did the same thing with BoG, and made the events slightly different so he could keep using SSG without any confusion.

--

The trailer looks pretty good. Got a good laugh out of Broly tanking SSG Vegeta's punch, no matter which timeline it's always gotta happen lol. Was expecting a sneak preview of Gogeta or UI Goku (if he's ever in the film) but I guess we'll only find out once movie spoilers leak in the coming weeks.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:33 pm

Alright so a couple things:

1. Goku says "It's about time you fight me" implying there's some kind of gap where he doesn't fight Goku? Maybe he's pissed at Vegeta and only wants to fight him first?
2. Chela says "He isn't fighting because he wants to fight" but one of the taglines said that the three have an uncontrollable urge to fight so that's a bit confusing/interesting. Maybe Chela is saying he isn't fighitng for enjoyment but rather for the sake of revenge or something?
3. Goku says that Broly isn't a bad guy.
4. They made the Galick Gun yellow??
5. Freeza has his armor this time?
6. It looks like Whis could fight in the movie

Overall it's a super disappointing trailer IMO.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:34 pm

PFM18 wrote:Alright so a couple things:

1. Goku says "It's about time you fight me" implying there's some kind of gap where he doesn't fight Goku? Maybe he's pissed at Vegeta and only wants to fight him first?
2. Chela says "He isn't fighting because he wants to fight" but one of the taglines said that the three have an uncontrollable urge to fight so that's a bit confusing/interesting. Maybe Chela is saying he isn't fighitng for enjoyment but rather for the sake of revenge or something?

I dunno mayne, I'm jizzing my pants right now.
Feels over Reals.

LimitbreakerKrillin
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LimitbreakerKrillin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:36 pm

PFM18 wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVn8E0AXDsY
Thank you! I'm so hyped!

Edit: Holy shit that was disappointing. How did they manage to fuck up the Galick Gun to be yellow?
Maybe they are going for the manga colored galick gun

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:37 pm

I'd have to agree. It does looks pretty, but the CGI is like from a video game and the new soundtrack is meh.

I also hope that because there are a lot of artists, the models won't look different every 5 seconds.

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:38 pm

RedHeat wrote:I dunno mayne, I'm jizzing my pants right now.
My Pee Pee hard

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:39 pm

I'm also not satisfied with this trailer, because I expected more about the story and not just fighting. It's a visual spectacle, but that's it.
i'm suprised how much personality Cheelai showed in those seconds. My expections for LemoxCheelaiXBroly trio just skyrocketed. She seems to care a lot for Broly.
Not sure if Vegeta really changes to his Buu arc outfit or it looks like that because of battle damage. Smart fanservice if it's the latter.

Freeza having an armour when he's destroying Planet Vegeta is already an improvement. I wonder if all the other scenes got updated too?!
Next step is to erase Minus. :lol:

The song seems to be as generic as I feared it to be. Meanwhile One Punch Man...
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:40 pm

IM21 wrote:

I'd have to agree. It does looks pretty, but the CGI is like from a video game and the new soundtrack is meh.

I also hope that because there are a lot of artists, the models won't look different every 5 seconds.
I mean I'm not worried about the visuals. I'd be shocked if this wasn't by far the most visually stunning piece of Dragon Ball material ever. The one CGI clip looked bad but otherwise it looked fantastic.

We just barely got anything new to talk about or much as far as Broly's characterization or overall story elements. That's what is really disappointing to me.

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:40 pm

The more I see revealed the less likely I think we'll be getting a Freeza team up with Vegeta and Goku during the finale. Every Freeza scene we see he's in a volcanic area, while with Goku and Vegeta they are in icy areas. Unless Broly's sheer power rips apart the environment and reduces it to a volcanic hellscape, I doubt those characters will fight together in this movie.

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:41 pm

LimitbreakerKrillin wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Thank you! I'm so hyped!

Edit: Holy shit that was disappointing. How did they manage to fuck up the Galick Gun to be yellow?
Maybe they are going for the manga colored galick gun
Could be. The original manga does not have it colored but it is yellow in the colored manga.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:43 pm

From what I've heard early on, Chela seems to think that Broly is just a pawn. He' being forced to fight by his father and Frieza. What she dosen't understand is, while the colar dose enslave him to their will, it also supressess his pychotic erges as well. when she meets him he seems normal.

Whats I thinks going to happen is that she tries to get him to break Paragus's control but this back fires as he goes completely berserk.
Last edited by Lord Frieza on Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:46 pm

IM21 wrote:

Parts of it looked like a FighterZ trailer which speaks more to the game and less to the trailer. Also can’t help but notice the how many scenes they are ripping straight from the Broly movies. Over all it’s definitely pretty in the standard modern anime CGI effects way.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:46 pm

mute_proxy wrote:This could mean Bardock might get the other armor later on :thumbup: not necessarily green, but still, looking like in the manga
Yes, there's nothing preventing that from happening. Between the moment he sends Goku away and when he makes his last stand, there is one whole month. Plenty of time to get another armor.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:48 pm

Some were wondering why Goku and Vegeta bother using SSG. Well it looks like they have got some new tricks up their sleeves.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:49 pm

They showed a lot in this trailer and they didn't show a lot in this trailer, which makes me very happy. Keep all the surprises for when we go see the film for ourselves. It looks absolutely stunning. I really like Daichi Miura's song. It doesn't sound like something you'd hear from Dragon Ball, but that's a good thing. Let's hear some new sounds in this franchise.

Gonna go watch that a few more times. And by "a few more times" I mean, like, a hundred more times.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:49 pm

This trailer. Plot what plot? :(

These visuals are so beautiful, but it has such a low impact without telling us the meaning behind it.

Where's the fun Toriyama dialogue? Where's the plot? Give me some story beat! Give me Paragus airing his grievances. Give me new Brolli distinguishing himself from Movie 8 Brolli.

What a weird mixed feeling I have about all this. :|
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

IM21
Banned

Post by IM21 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:51 pm

I'm gonna be really surprised if Broly dies in this movie.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:52 pm

God this is a gorgeous trailer.

We probably got the least amount of new information from this compared to other trailers, but it looks and moves so fucking good that I don't even care. Even the CG looks pretty good, and of course every single animation cut is the most dynamic and fluid motion I've ever seen from this series.

I cannot wait, my only real needs are A. that they find a creative solution instead of fuckin' fusion, B. that the ending is interesting and brings things in a new direction, either for Broly himself or Freeza, and C. That Piccolo gets to do something cool.

I'm so excited for this thing.