Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Post by Grimlock » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:34 pm

A new Dragon Ball movie was announced at 2017 Jump Festa due to be out in December 2018. "The strongest warrior race in the universe, the Saiyans".

The story will revolve around the origin of the Saiyans and will feature a lot of Saiyans characters. Once again, Toriyama will be doing the script and character designs.

Official Dragon Ball movie website.
USA Toei's official announcement.
Toei Animation wrote:20TH DRAGON BALL FEATURE IN PRODUCTION!
Dragon Ball’s 20th feature film has been revealed! Today, news of the film was announced at Jump Festa 2018 in Japan. The film is currently in production, which will serve as a commemoration for decades of legendary titles. Since 1986, the series has introduced many memorable and beloved characters to countless die-hard fans. The recent years have witnessed a new wave of renaissance for the Dragon Ball series. “Dragon Ball Z: Battle of the Gods”, released in 2013, was a welcomed return to the big screen for the first time in 17 years. “Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F” followed that up with more success in 2015. From then on, Dragon Ball has continued to further expand their world; leading to the current acclaimed broadcast, “Dragon Ball Super”.

The team behind the new film will be making intensive efforts to ensure that the scale and the quality is the best of the series. Akira Toriyama, the original author of Dragon Ball, will lead the original story, screenplay, and character design.

The theme for this remarkable new film will be “Saiyan”, the strongest race in the universe. Since “Battle of the Gods”, Goku has undergone new forms from Super Saiyan God to Super Saiyan Blue to other evolved forms that have gone up against many invincible warriors from multiple universes. This new story will focus on the origin of the Saiyans’ strength and what it means to be Saiyan.

The 20th Dragon Ball film is currently targeted to be released in Japan in December 2018. Keep an eye out for more news in the near future!
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Last edited by Grimlock on Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

precita
Banned

Re: New movie announced for December 2018!

Post by precita » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:44 pm

But...is it canon?

Is it a re-telling of one of Supers arcs?

Is it a crossover?

Is it something new and interesting?

It's hard to get too excited at the moment.

MisteryOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MisteryOne » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:44 pm

I don't speak Japanese at all, but I think they mentioned the word Saiyan several times. Anyway, without a synopsis, title, context or whatever I can't really get hyped.
English is not my first language. Please excuse my gramatical mistakes.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 pm

If it's finally a Vegeta and Gokû field trip to Planet Salad, then hooray!

Though if this is just a lore movie about Yamoshi I'll be skipping it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 pm

It's a Saiyan origin movie according to Herms.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Chuquita wrote: Though if this is just a lore movie about Yamoshi I'll be skipping it.
I'd rather a lore movie of something we've never seen before than something inconsequential.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:47 pm

Translated by Herms: https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/941859408375615492

It's about the origin of the Saiyans and Toriyama will be writing the script and designing the characters.
Feels over Reals.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:48 pm

https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/941859007161163776

GUYS I AM SO SO SO EXCITED FOR THIS MOVIE I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR A SUPER MOVIE FOREVER!!!

Confirmed and quotes by Herms:

- "Looks like the new DB movie will be out next December. And it doesn't seem as if they're marketing it as a DB Super movie specifically."

- "The key word(s): "The strongest warrior race in the universe, the Saiyans". Finally, a chance for Saiyans to get the limelight!"

- "The story will revolve around the origin of the Saiyans, and feature a lot of Saiyan characters. Even more than usual, anyway."

- "Once again, Toriyama will be doing the script and character designs."

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Post by Jackalope89 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:48 pm

Birusu16 wrote:It's a Saiyan origin movie according to Herms.
Interesting.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:48 pm

Woo-hoo! I can't wait to see more of what this is about.
Chuquita wrote:If it's finally a Vegeta and Gokû field trip to Planet Salad, then hooray!

I'm actually kind of wondering if it won't be both in a way. They go to the Universe 6 Saiyan homeworld, find out stuff dealing with the original Super Saiyan (possibly God) while there that ends up tying into a new threat to deal with in the movie, or something.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:51 pm

Well if it takes place millions of years in the past how would it feature Goku and co.?

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:51 pm

Is about time we get a movie like this,they better provide more detail on the SSG ritual & why the saiyans stop using it.
Last edited by The gr on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly active on discord.

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:51 pm

Chuquita wrote:If it's finally a Vegeta and Gokû field trip to Planet Salad, then hooray!

I don't mean to sound a bit condescending, but why should DB be always the central focus on Goku and Vegeta, when there are a lot of lores that could be expanded upon? The Bardock TV Special was pretty good because of its new lore at the time. Why not try to invest as bit more in the new stuff not about Goku or Vegeta?
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:52 pm

Well, I really hope is the dreamed trip to Planet Sadla, I'm really not interested in a movie about the Saiyan lore, Yamoshi or etc. for Christ's sake.
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:The Bardock TV Special was pretty good because of its new lore at the time. Why not try to invest as bit more in the new stuff not about Goku or Vegeta?
Sure, but you're forgetting that Bardock was the father of Goku, not a nobody. I can't picture a movie with a new character that I'm not invested with, this ain't no Star Wars.
Last edited by Noah on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Birusu16
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Birusu16 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:53 pm

precita wrote:Well if it takes place millions of years in the past how would it feature Goku and co.?
Flashbacks. Not that the movie even has to feature Goku at all. Bardock's movie only featured baby Goku and only in a couple of scenes at that. I'd rather the movie not have any of the current cast in it. Let us delve into the past of Saiyans without having to deal with current events.
Last edited by Birusu16 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:53 pm

Noah wrote:Well, I really hope is the dreamed trip to Planet Sadla, I'm really not interested in a movie about the Saiyan lore, Yamoshi or etc. for Christ's sake.
Well maybe the movie will begin like that until they figured the origins of the saiyans hidden in Sadal.
Mostly active on discord.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:53 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:

I don't mean to sound a bit condescending, but why should DB be always the central focus on Goku and Vegeta, when there are a lot of lores that could be expanded upon? The Bardock TV Special was pretty good because of its new lore at the time. Why not try to invest as bit more in the new stuff not about Goku or Vegeta?
And then the special after it happened proving lighting does not strike twice

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:54 pm

I just hope this doesn't contradict the established lore. Toriyama seems to be changing things for the sake of it lately.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:54 pm

Noah wrote:Well, I really hope is the dreamed trip to Planet Sadla, I'm really not interested in a movie about the Saiyan lore, Yamoshi or etc. for Christ's sake.
DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:The Bardock TV Special was pretty good because of its new lore at the time. Why not try to invest as bit more in the new stuff not about Goku or Vegeta?
Sure, but you're forgetting that Bardock was the father of Goku, not a nobody. I can't picture a movie with a new character that I'm not invested with, this ain't no Star Wars.
Well be ready to be dissapointed because it sounds like an origin story

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:54 pm

The gr wrote:Well maybe the movie will begin like that until they figured the origins of the saiyans hidden in Sadal.
Yea, maybe Vegeta interacting with the King of Sadla, Caulifla and Kale joining up with them facing a new enemy or something...
precita wrote:I just hope this doesn't contradict the established lore. Toriyama seems to be changing things for the sake of it lately.
What established lore?
Last edited by Noah on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?