Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:18 pm

Mnich wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:46 pmToo bad they didn't look like that in the movie scene.
The cgi is one thing the movie could've done without.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:52 pm

sintzu wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:18 pm
Mnich wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:46 pmToo bad they didn't look like that in the movie scene.
I thought the CGI with Blue Goku vs Broly was well done.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 pm

Miracles wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:52 pm
I feel the opposite. The start of Blue Goku vs Broly looked off cause the CG models stuck out like a sore thumb with the snowy white background, but once they started fighting in lava it looked much better. The other two CG fight sequences didn't stick out as much, especially Gogeta vs Broly in that warped dimension. That looked crazy. It's great because I have no idea how they'd be able to pull off a scene like that with hand drawn animation.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:33 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:42 pm
Miracles wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:52 pm

I feel the opposite. The start of Blue Goku vs Broly looked off cause the CG models stuck out like a sore thumb with the snowy white background, but once they started fighting in lava it looked much better. The other two CG fight sequences didn't stick out as much, especially Gogeta vs Broly in that warped dimension. That looked crazy. It's great because I have no idea how they'd be able to pull off a scene like that with hand drawn animation.
The movement was fluid and the fight was very physical between Blue Goku and Oozaru Broly. I was shocked. The only let down was it was short.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:47 am

Chuquita wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:35 pm 60 page Shintani art book is tempting. I may have to wait and see what's in that art book. If it has stuff they haven't posted online before...rough character sketches and larger resolution background stuff.

I'll wait a while longer before I decide. Still might go with Funi's just so I can have subtitles, take screenshots and make gifs. My laptop doesn't play blu-rays.
I think we got around 60-70 between character models, expression sheets and various stuff such as scouters and vehicles. Most have been uploaded here, but some are missing and some are all put together into a single picture: (https://www.sakugabooru.com/post?page=4 ... _materials)

Considering the promotional image shows there being 4 for per page, we should have already seen from 15 to 20 (at best) pages of sheets by Naohiro Shintani. And I expect them to put both Super Saiyan and Super Saiyan Blue sheets for both Goku and Vegeta even if they are the same but recoloured.
Even with these possibly exaggerated estimations, there should still be around 40-45 pages of new sheets we’ve never seen.

Among the unreleased ones there should be battle damaged Goku and Vegeta, old Paragus when he was first found on Vampa, Cheelai and Lemo in their outfits at the end of the movie, Freeza’s henchmen who stole the balls, the guy who flirted with Cheelay and possibly Broly with the skintight black outfit too. It’s possible that Krillin too got a sheet for the flashback.
We are also missing a lot of expression sheets for the characters in the first half of the movie, and many for SS/SSB Vegeta, Gogeta and SS Broly and his Full Power form.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:09 am

Mnich wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:46 pm
sintzu wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:50 am The anime comic's cover (sorry if it's old) :

Too bad they didn't look like that in the movie scene.
Right?

It's even more frustrating since that scene has now hit iconic status.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:06 pm

PFM18 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:16 pm
Potara-Warrior96 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote: (though Super Broly is definitely way better than the old one)
That's debatable tbh.
Oh, definitely not. Old Broly was just a generic evil Saiyan like any fan fic ever with no character whatsoever, who's motivating by a crying baby. It's a joke. The New Broly movie is possibly the greatest thing that this franchise has ever produced.
This is just a blatant exaggeration. Super Broly is no much different from Original Broly other than: he's not evil.

Saying that he's a more developed character just because his life was tragic, didn't had the best of the fathers to raise him and had a few lines on his normal state, don't make him better than Movie 8 Broly who had all of these.

As a matter of fact I found this new Broly to be worse than the original, he's just a mix of Tarzan and Hulk, a wild brute that was gifted with an enormous ridiculous latent potential that made him stronger than post ToP Goku & Vegeta. At least in Movie 8 it made sense, because they revisted the concept of the Legendary Super Saiyan, on the time were the series were exploring different stages of that transformation. On this movie it just seems inconceivable to a Saiyan out of nowhere, in a planet that don't seem too hostile to live, who never fought anyone else could reach levels of a God.

But battle power rant aside, other point in favor of the original Broly is that he in fact had a relationship with Goku & Vegeta better than this new one, say whatever you want about him being motivated by a child cry, I didn't see that way, actually it's more complex than that:

The crying triggered his PTSD from what happened to him as a baby (almost killed by King Vegeta and was thrown in the garbage) which turned him into a psychotic version of himself.

This new Broly is just there for the fights and visuals, we barely had him interacting with the other Saiyans, his aproach seems more like of what was Movie 10 where his character was reduced to a one liner juggernaut. In Movie 8 after turning into LSSJ, Broly just keeps trash talking, which some may think is a generic villain behavior, but I think it was decent considering his personality.

So yea, he's not even close to be labelled was the "greatest thing this franchise ever produced", sure Broly can provide better interactions and have more development in the future, but now on just regarding it's movie: it is really not much different from before.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:39 am

Finally saw it!

I loved it for the phenomenal fireworks and would recommend any DB fan to go see it, but why do we simply stop caring about the story -which started off great- after 40mns of the movie lol
Too bad lol

Ps : Wtf about Shenron granting only one wish shouldn't it be three lol

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:46 am

PsionicWarrior wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:39 am Finally saw it!

I loved it for the phenomenal fireworks and would recommend any DB fan to go see it, but why do we simply stop caring about the story -which started off great- after 40mns of the movie lol
Too bad lol

Ps : Wtf about Shenron granting only one wish shouldn't it be three lol
lol I saw this movie on January 3rd. :lol:

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:24 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:46 am lol I saw this movie on January 3rd. :lol:
Was that an illegal phone rec from the theater, hope you enjoyed all the cgi and special effects as they were meant to be seen lol

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:27 am

PsionicWarrior wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:24 am
Paulo Gabriel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:46 am lol I saw this movie on January 3rd. :lol:
Was that an illegal phone rec from the theater, hope you enjoyed all the cgi and special effects as they were meant to be seen lol
No, I watched it in another country, in which the movie opened on this day. :mrgreen:

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:23 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:27 amNo, I watched it in another country, in which the movie opened on this day. :mrgreen:
You lucky you :mrgreen:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:29 am

PsionicWarrior wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:39 amWtf about Shenron granting only one wish shouldn't it be three lol
In BOG he granted one but fans explained that as him leaving in fear of Beerus. In RF's anime arc it was back to 3 but now it's back to one. It seems like they just do whatever and don't pay much attention to what's been previously established.

Dbzk1999
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dbzk1999 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:50 pm

sintzu wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:29 am
PsionicWarrior wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:39 amWtf about Shenron granting only one wish shouldn't it be three lol
In BOG he granted one but fans explained that as him leaving in fear of Beerus. In RF's anime arc it was back to 3 but now it's back to one. It seems like they just do whatever and don't pay much attention to what's been previously established.
I mean, if it’s continuing off of the anime’s continuity, only 1 wish be available by this time (least from what I remember)

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:05 pm

I’m starting to think I’m the only DB fan who hasn’t seen this movie

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:54 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:23 am
Paulo Gabriel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:27 amNo, I watched it in another country, in which the movie opened on this day. :mrgreen:
You lucky you :mrgreen:
Thanks. Viva Brazil! :thumbup:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:05 pmI’m starting to think I’m the only DB fan who hasn’t seen this movie
You are not missing anything, really. Probably just the first 25 minutes that might be of some interest, depending on what you want to see/enjoy about the Saiyans.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:48 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:54 pm
Dbzfan94 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:05 pmI’m starting to think I’m the only DB fan who hasn’t seen this movie
You are not missing anything, really. Probably just the first 25 minutes that might be of some interest, depending on what you want to see/enjoy about the Saiyans.
I think the main thing worth watching this movie for is the visuals. This movie looks simply stunning. The story on the other hand is just the Bardock special, Broly's first movie and fusion reborn thrown into one with mixed results. It's not bad by any means but in a lot of ways it's not as good as the stories it retells.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:47 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:54 pm
You are not missing anything, really.
Come on now we literally never saw such quality animations/visuals/fights in the entire franchise before, not saying the movie is perfect but in all honesty it came very close in my opinion, all it needed was the narrative to keep going on during the fighting part with some moments to breath to build up drama and then it would have been the best thing ever for me, sadly there was not enough implication from the characters to make it powerful enough, but saying you don't miss anything is exaggeration

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:34 am

Well, I'm relatively new in this forum but I've seen some of the posts of this Grimlock in other topics, so I think his answer here isn't really surprising.