Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:56 pm

Shintani art from the special edition
Bah is back

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:54 pm

sintzu wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:48 amI think the main thing worth watching this movie for is the visuals. This movie looks simply stunning. The story on the other hand is just the Bardock special, Broly's first movie and fusion reborn thrown into one with mixed results. It's not bad by any means but in a lot of ways it's not as good as the stories it retells.
Well, if the intention is just to pay attention to the visuals, or put it above all else, then there isn't really much to discuss about this movie. I don't see how saying that it is "simply stunning" over and over (not saying you are doing it, my point is all discussions are all about visuals eveywhere) can be extremely boring. After all, not everyone cares about that.

It is bad in the sense that the only part that had a story was rushed and they put a lot of effort in fight, when it should have been exactly the other way around.
PsionicWarrior wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:47 amCome on now we literally never saw such quality animations/visuals/fights in the entire franchise before, not saying the movie is perfect but in all honesty it came very close in my opinion, all it needed was the narrative to keep going on during the fighting part with some moments to breath to build up drama and then it would have been the best thing ever for me, sadly there was not enough implication from the characters to make it powerful enough, but saying you don't miss anything is exaggeration
Like I said, "animation/visuals/fights" aren't/shouldn't (?) be above all else. I said that assuming Dbzfan94 prioritizes story, lore being expanded and etc, like I do. But if it turns out that all he likes are "animation/visuals/fights", then go for it, he'll certainly enjoy it.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Nokra
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nokra » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:54 pm
sintzu wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:48 amI think the main thing worth watching this movie for is the visuals. This movie looks simply stunning. The story on the other hand is just the Bardock special, Broly's first movie and fusion reborn thrown into one with mixed results. It's not bad by any means but in a lot of ways it's not as good as the stories it retells.
Well, if the intention is just to pay attention to the visuals, or put it above all else, then there isn't really much to discuss about this movie. I don't see how saying that it is "simply stunning" over and over (not saying you are doing it, my point is all discussions are all about visuals eveywhere) can be extremely boring. After all, not everyone cares about that.

It is bad in the sense that the only part that had a story was rushed and they put a lot of effort in fight, when it should have been exactly the other way around.
PsionicWarrior wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:47 amCome on now we literally never saw such quality animations/visuals/fights in the entire franchise before, not saying the movie is perfect but in all honesty it came very close in my opinion, all it needed was the narrative to keep going on during the fighting part with some moments to breath to build up drama and then it would have been the best thing ever for me, sadly there was not enough implication from the characters to make it powerful enough, but saying you don't miss anything is exaggeration
Like I said, "animation/visuals/fights" aren't/shouldn't (?) be above all else. I said that assuming Dbzfan94 prioritizes story, lore being expanded and etc, like I do. But if it turns out that all he likes are "animation/visuals/fights", then go for it, he'll certainly enjoy it.
I don't think I've seen you post one non-sarcastic positive comment regarding this series in all the time I've used this forum.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Then this may come as a surprise, but I'm rarely sarcastic. No need to be that. Just posting what I truly feel.

But here's a legit claim: I don't think I've seen you provide solid arguments. You even got yourself a temporary ban and a locked thread recently for an attempt at trolling behavior (and what's worse, in that thread you sounded like you are against lesbians and other things that shouldn't bother a human being).

~ War of the Dinobots ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:50 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:54 pmWell, if the intention is just to pay attention to the visuals, or put it above all else, then there isn't really much to discuss about this movie. Like I said, "animation/visuals/fights" aren't/shouldn't (?) be above all else.
I agree. the story should've gotten more care put into it and even better, it should've been an original one. The biggest problem with it is that it's just more of the same. No matter how much polish goes into it, you're still getting the same thing you got in the 90s with arguably worse results.

One thing done better in the original Broly movie was the build up to his legendary reveal and not only was that done well, but it actually paid off. Here on the other hand they don't give you a reason to get excited to see Broly in combat and when he does finally fight he's a push over for most of it. In the original, Broly wiped the floor with 5 fully power fighters AT THE SAME TIME. If someone hasn't seen the original Broly movie and Bardock special then this will work for them. For anyone who's seen them (99.9% of the fan base) and is watching for the story, this movie won't offer much outside of the visuals. It's DB so I think every fan should see it but it's good to know what you're getting into to keep your expectations in control.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:36 am

ShaggyBlanco wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:56 pm Shintani art from the special edition
Bah is back
Special edition? Did I miss something?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:48 am

ShaggyBlanco wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:56 pm Shintani art from the special edition
Bah is back
Thinking about it, would Bah regrow his ear if Broly fed him a senzu bean, or is it too late?
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:30 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:36 am Special edition? Did I miss something?
Special package, bonuses etc., not movie itself.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:42 pm

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:50 amI agree. the story should've gotten more care put into it and even better, it should've been an original one. The biggest problem with it is that it's just more of the same. No matter how much polish goes into it, you're still getting the same thing you got in the 90s with arguably worse results.
It's 2019... We shouldn't be asking for story. Anyway, this movie really had the potential to be the best one. Announced as the "origin of the Saiyans" got me pumped somehow and somewhat, we would finally see interesting stuff...
sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:50 amFor anyone who's seen them (99.9% of the fan base) and is watching for the story, this movie won't offer much outside of the visuals.
That is exactly where lies the problem, my very issue with this series. I know Dragon Ball can offer so much (and we do have evidences for that), why they keep it in the safe zone doing the same thing? :(

~ War of the Dinobots ~

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:12 pm

Grimlock wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:42 pmAnnounced as the "origin of the Saiyans" got me pumped somehow and somewhat, we would finally see interesting stuff...

That is exactly where lies the problem, my very issue with this series. I know Dragon Ball can offer so much, why they keep it in the safe zone doing the same thing? :(
It was their origin, the one we've had for nearly 30 years. :lol:

Because that's what sells. Broly made nearly 120 million $ at the box office. This is a clear sign that fans want more of the same and what they're familiar with.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:45 pm

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:12 pmIt was their origin, the one we've had for nearly 30 years. :lol:
Not only that, it wasn't really the origin of the Saiyans, that would mean including stuff from "ancient times". If they wanted to tell just the origins of the protagonists, they should have specified that in the first tagline for the movie revealed at Jump Festa, instead of that vague one that got me pumped.
sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:12 pmBecause that's what sells. Broly made nearly 120 million $ at the box office. This is a clear sign that fans want more of the same and what they're familiar with.
Oh well, then this series is really in bad hands.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:34 pm

What you classify as the "so much more" that Dragon Ball can be has always sounded completely dry and emotionless, lying dead in the street with the phrase "deepest lore" carved into it's ass cheeks. So no, I'd say the series is actually in far better hands than that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:14 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:45 pmThis series is really in bad hands.
Shaddy wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:34 pmNo, I'd say the series is actually in far better hands than that.
Financially speaking, it's in very good hands. The people running things know exactly what fans want and are taking full advantage of it with great results. If you're an investor or official that has stock in the company then you should be very happy.

creatively speaking, the franchise is nearly bankrupt. Everything starting with RF has relied on a form of nostalgia, either in part or full. Fans should ask and expect more than just what they already have. If the franchise is going to produce new content then that's what the content should be, not old content with a different look.

Say what you want about the Moro arc, at least it's new but according to Geekdom, that's where the new content will end as it will be back to the same old when super returns.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:17 am

A new design for a villain and a vague excuse to pretend a power is unique is not what "new" means. That's an incredibly reductive view of what expanding the possibilities of a narrative can be, and what gets you vapid soulless bullshit like Heroes. The series is stuck in a rut structurally, and no amount of recoloring Baby and calling it a new villain (hell, Baby was barely original to start with, and certainly not good within that) will fix it.

Goku's character has nowhere to go currently. Vegeta's character has somewhat dissipated, to the point where his agency and position are barely acknowledged by antagonists, and almost nobody else has any progression in the story.

By contrast, even if they're repurposed from past works, Broly and Paragus's new positions in the main timeline are the "newest" thing in the series. Broly's character is not ripped from anyone existing, and Paragus's motivations and weird blend of blinded by revenge and sort of caring for his son even though he sucks at it aren't things we've seen before. The fact that their character moments in the movie are about as masterfully executed as possible help this. You could go so far as to say they're Broly in Paragus, almost in name only.

Saying "this isn't new" when by all means Broly's story is one unlike any Dragon Ball has told before is placing the entire weight of the franchise's quality into iconography rather than narrative. It's thinking about the premise rather than the execution. Good execution can save a boring premise, nothing saves bad execution. And you're certainly a total fucking hypocrite if you look at this movie's shitty version of Bardock and think "yes, this is fresh, this is what we need, if only it had my Dragon Ball Online fanservice too!".

In order for Dragon Ball's writing to actually be interesting again, it needs to change the structure of arcs and create actual progression of it's main cast's personalities. The faces you attach to those arcs are basically meaningless.

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:12 am

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:50 am
Grimlock wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:54 pmWell, if the intention is just to pay attention to the visuals, or put it above all else, then there isn't really much to discuss about this movie. Like I said, "animation/visuals/fights" aren't/shouldn't (?) be above all else.
I agree. the story should've gotten more care put into it and even better, it should've been an original one. The biggest problem with it is that it's just more of the same. No matter how much polish goes into it, you're still getting the same thing you got in the 90s with arguably worse results.

One thing done better in the original Broly movie was the build up to his legendary reveal and not only was that done well, but it actually paid off. Here on the other hand they don't give you a reason to get excited to see Broly in combat and when he does finally fight he's a push over for most of it. In the original, Broly wiped the floor with 5 fully power fighters AT THE SAME TIME. If someone hasn't seen the original Broly movie and Bardock special then this will work for them. For anyone who's seen them (99.9% of the fan base) and is watching for the story, this movie won't offer much outside of the visuals. It's DB so I think every fan should see it but it's good to know what you're getting into to keep your expectations in control.
You never seen that the super broly movie was an even better sequel than previous entries did you?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:33 am

Toxin45 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:12 amYou never seen that the super broly movie was an even better sequel than previous entries did you?
Production wise it's the best thing this franchise has to offer. The story is just the Bardock special mixed with Broly's first movie. It's not bad but it's just the same thing we already have.

PsionicWarrior

Post by PsionicWarrior » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:48 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:54 pm
Fair enough,
To me the narrative and the animation are of equal importance, so this movie left me half-satisfied,
It's really too bad because it was so close, I found a lot of great things in the first part of the movie,
Super is always missing opportunities that it creates and that are promising, I wouldn't even mind if the movie wasn't canon but since it is I agree it is a problem as it doesn't make the series go forward, although that didn't stop me from enjoying the show because I'm a stupid fanboy inside lol

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:15 pm

According to Ajay on Twitter, the Funi release of Broly has a green tint to it :thumbdown:

Manga UK webrip:

Funi Blu-Ray rip:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:34 pm

DHM211 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:15 pm According to Ajay on Twitter, the Funi release of Broly has a green tint to it :thumbdown:

Manga UK webrip:

Funi Blu-Ray rip:
They couldn't have picked a worse time to do this.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:30 pm

sintzu wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:34 pm
DHM211 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:15 pm According to Ajay on Twitter, the Funi release of Broly has a green tint to it :thumbdown:

Manga UK webrip:

Funi Blu-Ray rip:
They couldn't have picked a worse time to do this.
But I think he specified that this is Toei's doing, and that the same happened with the previous movies.