Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:11 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:09 am Besides, the movie barely has enough story for the runtime it has: what in the world is shit like Nappa vs Raditz gonna do besides pad it out with more fluff?
GiVe MorE chARacTErs tImE TO shInE!

eXPanD tHE lORe!
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:39 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:11 pm
ekrolo2 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:09 am Besides, the movie barely has enough story for the runtime it has: what in the world is shit like Nappa vs Raditz gonna do besides pad it out with more fluff?
GiVe MorE chARacTErs tImE TO shInE!

eXPanD tHE lORe!
Giving other characters screentime isn't a bad thing at all. You get bored of seeing the same 2 characters on screen after a while.

But in the case of this movie, which is already padded out longer than it needed to be, yeah it's not necessary.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:46 pm

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:11 pmGiVe MorE chARacTErs tImE TO shInE!

eXPanD tHE lORe!
That's so terrible, isn't!? Instead:

FoCuS oN tHe SaMe ChArAcTeRs!1!1!!1!! LeT's rEtReAd tHe sAmE oLd sTuFf! MoRe oF tHe SaMe NoW aNd FoReVer!1!!11!!1
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:13 pm

I am not so sure that Broly will appear much in the anime if it comes back.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:45 pm

Grimlock wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:46 pm
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:11 pmGiVe MorE chARacTErs tImE TO shInE!

eXPanD tHE lORe!
That's so terrible, isn't!? Instead:

FoCuS oN tHe SaMe ChArAcTeRs!1!1!!1!! LeT's rEtReAd tHe sAmE oLd sTuFf! MoRe oF tHe SaMe NoW aNd FoReVer!1!!11!!1
Characters who have nothing to do with anything getting more in a section of the movie that's already got only the flimsiest of connections to what happens later is not how you improve a film with an extended cut.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:17 pm

I assume you are talking specifically about Raditz, Nappa and their fight, which is kind of besides my point (though it would be great to see more of them indeed, but in a different context, contributing a bit more to the tiny story the movie has). Bardock, Gine, King Vegeta and Paragus, however, should have got more (the Saiyans in general should, but anyway). Unless you think the fathers also have nothing to do with anything... :roll:

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:16 am

ekrolo2 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:45 pmCharacters who have nothing to do with anything getting more in a section of the movie that's already got only the flimsiest of connections to what happens later is not how you improve a film with an extended cut.
I think an extended cut should provide content that was cut from the movie. If it's an inconsequential fight between Nappa and Raditz, so be it. I'm interested. Nobody is taking the theatrical cut away from anyone.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:21 am

Grimlock wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:17 pm I assume you are talking specifically about Raditz, Nappa and their fight, which is kind of besides my point (though it would be great to see more of them indeed, but in a different context, contributing a bit more to the tiny story the movie has). Bardock, Gine, King Vegeta and Paragus, however, should have got more (the Saiyans in general should, but anyway). Unless you think the fathers also have nothing to do with anything... :roll:
Paragus matters out of that lot since he directly informs Broly's whole life. The rest of the parents? Irrelevant. Vegeta doesn't give a shit about his and the idea anyone but Gohan mattered as a parental figure to Goku is one of the biggest loads of bull shit from this movie. Hell, when Paragus starts rambling about the past Goku and Vegeta both tell him they don't give a crap about any of that stuff! The film blatantly says its own first act is irrelevant to everyone except Paragus and Broly!
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:31 pm

Okay, maybe I am putting too much relevance where it does not exist (not my fault really, as the tiny story the movies has lies all in the past section), but that doesn't mean the only characters that can get more highlight and character development* are the protagonists. I mean, if you don't get tired of seeing the same old characters doing the same old nonsense, wearing the same old clothes, uttering the same old jokes, acting the same old way, shooting the same old techniques... Then good for you, I guess. I am tired and would like a change for a while.

* What character development anyway? They are still the same and one of the main reasons is because they get too much highlight. These other characters that appear less are the ones who should be improved.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:48 pm

Characters should appear for a purpose, to advance a theme or to play off of someone else or to serve as a good setup/punchline for a joke. They shouldn't be included because of some arbitrary fan quota of appearances. More Bardock, Gine and King Vegeta add nothing: their kids flat out tell us, the audience, that they do not give even the slightest of fucks to the first third of the film. That makes their existing screen time already a big waste of goddamn time. Never mind adding on more to it.

One of the biggest examples of what happens when you waste too much time on side characters is the anime Tournament of Power. So many episodes are devoted to pointless fluff that can be resolved faster or shouldn't even be an issue in the first place. Turning what could be a solid, 20-25 episode tournament arc into a bloated disaster area.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:12 pm

ekrolo2 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:48 pmCharacters should appear for a purpose, to advance a theme or to play off of someone else
Exactly! And that is where comes the first major problem of this movie. The original theme of the movie that was presented to us in the Jump Festa event was that the movie would be all about the past of the Saiyans. "This new story will focus on the origin of the Saiyans’ strength and what it means to be Saiyan." is what was said. One could only imagine they would focus on the past, allowing these other characters to appear for a purpose, to fulfill their roles in a properly screentime, giving room for their character development to be established. The present part is what should have got minimum screentime (if at all).

But no, of course not. Instead, they obviously preferred "the same old characters doing the same old nonsense, wearing the same old clothes, uttering the same old jokes, acting the same old way, shooting the same old techniques", as if we haven't seen them enough, as if they haven't concluded their development. The problem is that they wanted to do the bad fanservice instead of a good one. Broly should be the last in a very, very long list to get yet another movie, just to capitalize even more on him. The theme of the movie should be the origin, but turned out just to be another fanservice done in a bad way just like Movie 15, all in the name of popularity. They got it wrong, and now we have to put up with this "beautiful-looking" but average-at-best work where, once again, we can't expect any other character that is not named "Goku" or "Vegeta" to do something. It's all wrong since the very beginning.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:25 pm

I don't think "WRONG" is the correct word in this case, because the movie was amazing after all. It's more like the movie didn't meet the expectations (of some people).

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:05 pm

People's expectations are unrealistic. The movie was about Broly. So the focus will be on his origins and how he came into contact with our protagonists Goku and Vegeta. Paragus was instrumental in Broly's backstory and his connection with the main cast [Vegeta].

These other characters that people want to see are not necessary.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:00 pm

Bardock's depiction in the film was connected to Goku of course. The idea that the flashback was irrelivant to everyone but Broly and Paragus is silly. And Vegeta didn't seem to not care about his Saiyan family in the present day. He only said that King Vegeta's actions were not his business.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:44 pm

Miracles wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:14 pm
Noah wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:44 pm
Miracles wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:56 pmThe same ones who bought classic privileged DBZ Broly being way above the working SSJ class of Goku and Vegeta without Toriyama's name on it. :clap:
Don't know what are you trying to say lol

It was easy to bought Broly's power back then, the "Legendary Super Saiyan" was something vague before his debut. The movie story explaining that the old legend told back was in fact true and he was the warrior who came after 1,000 years wasn't something that farfetched yet.

What is farfetched is to him to come on the actual timeline: thirteen years after both Goku and Vegeta had surpassed their common SSJ transformations. Movie 8 Broly was not even a SSJ2-tier.
Not when it was shown that as a baby Broly's battle power/potential is greater than Goku and Vegeta's. It was the same as the old DBZ Broly backstory, so it works for both.
Well, the same can be said about Gohan, but his greatest form can't touch God Goku and Vegeta. The problem with this Broly is the same I had with Kale (anime) forcing Goku to Blue, while she was only using a duper strong SSJ form.

Also is there an explanation why neither Whis or Kaioshin knew about Broly?
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:08 pm

I want to see an extended cut but I figure that when Broli airs on TV it would only get another five minutes or so since the TV specials and extended cuts that usually air on the Saturday night slot that Fuji TV uses for them typically only allows for 105 minutes of content.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:52 pm

Noah wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:44 pm
Miracles wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:14 pm
Noah wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Don't know what are you trying to say lol

It was easy to bought Broly's power back then, the "Legendary Super Saiyan" was something vague before his debut. The movie story explaining that the old legend told back was in fact true and he was the warrior who came after 1,000 years wasn't something that farfetched yet.

What is farfetched is to him to come on the actual timeline: thirteen years after both Goku and Vegeta had surpassed their common SSJ transformations. Movie 8 Broly was not even a SSJ2-tier.
Not when it was shown that as a baby Broly's battle power/potential is greater than Goku and Vegeta's. It was the same as the old DBZ Broly backstory, so it works for both.
Well, the same can be said about Gohan, but his greatest form can't touch God Goku and Vegeta. The problem with this Broly is the same I had with Kale (anime) forcing Goku to Blue, while she was only using a duper strong SSJ form.

Also is there an explanation why neither Whis or Kaioshin knew about Broly?
Broly's power wasn't released for him to be on the radar until he met Goku/Vegeta. They wouldn't know about him or even care.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:41 am

Just received confirmation that the manga version of DBS Broly is set for release on January 3rd, 2020 in Hong Kong. Kinda on the fence about picking this up. Any extra material on the Japanese release?
The world is your's.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:30 pm

Hello everyone !

I wanted to ask if anybody knows why Broly has different transformations compared to other Saiyans? is it like Kale? is it something else?

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:14 am

Scientist Fu wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:30 pm Hello everyone !

I wanted to ask if anybody knows why Broly has different transformations compared to other Saiyans? is it like Kale? is it something else?
Ah, a newcomer! Welcome! I can help answer for ya.

With Broly, the key to his power is the Saiyans' latent Oozaru (or Great Ape) power. While most Saiyans can only tap into it with a tail as an Oozaru, Golden Oozaru, or SS4, Broly is unique in that he can channel and use this power in his regular Human form without a tail. When he's using this power in his base state, he takes on the Ikari form which eventually put him at the level of SSB.

Super Saiyan could also be combined with this state, boosting it further into an Ikari Super Saiyan. Once Gogeta entered the fray, the Oozaru and Super Saiyan power further combined and grew, becoming the Super Saiyan Full-Power form.