Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:17 pm

PFM18 wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Why do people even bother hoping Gohan would get some shine? We all know how it goes. Time after time, both Toriyama and Toei have proven that they don’t care about Gohan. That much has been made clear ever since Super debuted.

This is exactly why my favorite characters of the Z cast are Goku and Vegeta. This way, i will never get dissapointed. Sure, Vegeta may job from time to time, but at least he always gets some shine and is usually always right up there with Goku. No dissapointments for me. At some point you’re just going to have to give up on certain characters, and Gohan is one of them.
It isn't that Toei/Toriyama don't care about Gohan, it is that his "time in the sun" is over. He just no longer plays a central role in the narrative because he fit into it very well for a time but that time has since passed. They shouldn't be giving Gohan spotlight/focus just for the sake of it.(or for the sake of fan-service)
Tbh, the fans are kinda hurting themselves by asking for Gohan so much because in the end, unless Toriyama changes his mind, Gohan will always revert back to a scholar and then the fans who have had a taste of badass Gohan again will beg for Gohan again and be hurt until the next time Toei or Toriyama budges and gives Gohan some spotlight only for the cycle to continue
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:22 pm

ricky84 wrote:
Michsi wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:Why do people even bother hoping Gohan would get some shine? We all know how it goes. Time after time, both Toriyama and Toei have proven that they don’t care about Gohan. That much has been made clear ever since Super debuted.

This is exactly why my favorite characters of the Z cast are Goku and Vegeta. This way, i will never get dissapointed. Sure, Vegeta may job from time to time, but at least he always gets some shine and is usually always right up there with Goku. No dissapointments for me. At some point you’re just going to have to give up on certain characters, and Gohan is one of them.

Most people can't exactly choose who they like. Characters like Goku or Vegeta aren't everyone's cup of tea, so Super giving those two all the limelight won't make someone that isn't inclined to like them, you know, like them. DBZ is the reason most of the western fandom exists and Gohan has a major presence there. People will just keep on hoping.
Throwing Gohan to the side was a huge mistake whether you like the character or not. What was the point of giving him all this potential if he's never gonna exploit it fully? Its wasteful, bad writing.
That’s why they have Broly now who has even more potential than Gohan. I guess we won in the end lol

Potential wise, Goku and Vegeta are indeed much lower than Gohan. But Broly is of the very highest caliber, and fans are going to get all the Broly wank they desire with this one.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:22 pm

I'm personally hoping that there'll be dialogue referencing the fact that Gohan is now starting to come back into prominence, albeit nowhere near the level of his dad or Vegeta just yet.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:28 pm

CTAkuma wrote:
Noah wrote:You know, I much prefer seeing completed UI Goku than Gogeta as a plot device to defeat Broly. Just imagining The Final Death Match playing again on the big screen, give me goosebumps.
People who say "They shouldn't spam UI" are also the ones who want Gogeta in the movie even though they are literally spamming Fusions in almost every arc with Fusion Zamasu, Vegetto Blue, Kefla, Gotenks and now possibly Gogeta
My thoughts exactly.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

CTAkuma
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by CTAkuma » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:32 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
CTAkuma wrote:
Noah wrote:
You know, I much prefer seeing completed UI Goku than Gogeta as a plot device to defeat Broly. Just imagining The Final Death Match playing again on the big screen, give me goosebumps.
People who say "They shouldn't spam UI" are also the ones who want Gogeta in the movie even though they are literally spamming Fusions in almost every arc with Fusion Zamasu, Vegetto Blue, Kefla, Gotenks and now possibly Gogeta
But is that wrong. I want Gogeta in the movie and at the same time, i think they shouldn’t spam UI and for good reason. Is it wrong for some fans to not want UI, a form so highly held in regard in the god hierarchy, to become the next SSB where Goku can use it at any time?
I didn't imply that i absolutely 100% wanted UI in every instance or it be a regular form like SSB, but what annoys me is the constant appearence of Fusion and no its not wrong to like Fusion or anything, but its just my opinion that its getting obnoxious how often they introduce fused characters recently

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:04 pm

Raphael_Z wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Yes, we're at the end of AGE 780 (also because Universe 6 does take place later in AGE 779). Which is why I continuously complain about the height of Goten, Trunks and Marron, another year will be over and they're still portrayed inaccurately. And then there is Bulma's line by the of the manga, it is still valid as of now and us viewers can think Bulma just rounded it up, but that won't be useful anymore if they keep placing the events just after Universe Survival saga.
Goku is 13 at the start of DB and 17 when he kills Piccolo yet he retains his kid design, it is only during the Piccolo Jr. Saga that he gets an adult-looking design. By comparison, Gohan is 10-11 when he kills Cell yet he looks way older than 17 year old Goku.

Trunks and Goten are 18 and 17 years old at EoZ and they also look way older than 17 year old Goku, during the most recent Super saga they're 14 and 13 (the SAME age as Goku at the beginning of DB) and they also look older than Goku at the same age.

So yeah, Gohan aside, Saiyans look like kids for most of their teen years then go through a huge and sudden growth spur. Yes, it is frustrating to see Goten and Trunks having the same 'old designs but it's not something worth obsessing over when you take into account how slowly Goku aged in the original series.
Goku is 15 when he kills King Piccolo and 11-12 at the start of DB.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:24 pm

Noah wrote:
Miracles wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote:http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com/en/Sessi ... uper-Broly
"Never-before-seen announcements," eh? :think:
That Ultra Instinct Goku will be in the movie? :lol:
More depth into Freeza's plan.
More info on the new characters.
You know, I much prefer seeing completed UI Goku than Gogeta as a plot device to defeat Broly. Just imagining The Final Death Match playing again on the big screen, give me goosebumps.
Would be nice. I just can't see Toriyama all of a sudden making Goku and Vegeta abandon their pride and fuse to fight one warrior.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:20 pm

Miracles wrote:
Noah wrote:
Miracles wrote:
That Ultra Instinct Goku will be in the movie? :lol:
More depth into Freeza's plan.
More info on the new characters.
Would be nice. I just can't see Toriyama all of a sudden making Goku and Vegeta abandon their pride and fuse to fight one warrior.
I agree with you, but the power of "MARKETING" is way too strong with this movie. Unfortunately a gigantic swath of fans want to see the rematch from Budoukai 3's opening; or at least Shueisha thinks they do.

I know I want to see Shintani's UI Goku more than ssjblue Gogeta.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:32 pm

I think they’re both going to be in this movie. Both Gogeta Blue and Ultra Instinct Goku. They’re probably keeping it a secret yet to surprise us in the end. If my prediction is correct, Gogeta Blue will either lose or defuse against Broly and than Goku will go UI at the end and overpower Broly.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:57 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:I think they’re both going to be in this movie. Both Gogeta Blue and Ultra Instinct Goku. They’re probably keeping it a secret yet to surprise us in the end. If my prediction is correct, Gogeta Blue will either lose or defuse against Broly and than Goku will go UI at the end and overpower Broly.
I'd be good with that. I really want to see Shintani's take on UI Goku. I want to see a lot of what he can do now that he's character designer.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:09 pm

Chuquita wrote:
GodVegetto91 wrote:I think they’re both going to be in this movie. Both Gogeta Blue and Ultra Instinct Goku. They’re probably keeping it a secret yet to surprise us in the end. If my prediction is correct, Gogeta Blue will either lose or defuse against Broly and than Goku will go UI at the end and overpower Broly.
I'd be good with that. I really want to see Shintani's take on UI Goku. I want to see a lot of what he can do now that he's character designer.
As long as they don't do the simple SSG re-colour that was Toriyama's original design and do something similar to/directly like/as good as Yamamuro's Ultra Instinct design, I think we'll be good.

Jaden
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Jaden » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:52 pm

I wonder how people would react if Frieza were to be the Pikkon of this movie?
Consider the following scenario - Goku and Vegeta decide to fuse but Broly keeps throwing ki blasts interrupting the dance. Realizing there's not gonna be a universe to rule over if Broly isn't stopped, Frieza decides to stall him so that the saiyans can fuse.
Broly then continues to punchbag Frieza as the pair fuse.
How about that?

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:45 pm

The screenplay of the film is most likely gonna be a mix of the 1st Broly film and Fusion Reborn (with some DB Minus and Bardock: The Father of Goku thrown in for the flashback scenes).
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:58 pm

Evolved Blue I can handle, UI and MUI should never be used again, ever. They can come up with cheap imitations no where near its power like SSJB was at first thought to be the only way they could use the power of SSG. MUI will more or less render any opponent ever useless. I’m fine with Goku bringing UI out for a split second by accident to dodge an attack but not to fight with it.

Raphael_Z
Beyond Newbie

Post by Raphael_Z » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:27 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote:
Raphael_Z wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Yes, we're at the end of AGE 780 (also because Universe 6 does take place later in AGE 779). Which is why I continuously complain about the height of Goten, Trunks and Marron, another year will be over and they're still portrayed inaccurately. And then there is Bulma's line by the of the manga, it is still valid as of now and us viewers can think Bulma just rounded it up, but that won't be useful anymore if they keep placing the events just after Universe Survival saga.
Goku is 13 at the start of DB and 17 when he kills Piccolo yet he retains his kid design, it is only during the Piccolo Jr. Saga that he gets an adult-looking design. By comparison, Gohan is 10-11 when he kills Cell yet he looks way older than 17 year old Goku.

Trunks and Goten are 18 and 17 years old at EoZ and they also look way older than 17 year old Goku, during the most recent Super saga they're 14 and 13 (the SAME age as Goku at the beginning of DB) and they also look older than Goku at the same age.

So yeah, Gohan aside, Saiyans look like kids for most of their teen years then go through a huge and sudden growth spur. Yes, it is frustrating to see Goten and Trunks having the same 'old designs but it's not something worth obsessing over when you take into account how slowly Goku aged in the original series.
Goku is 15 when he kills King Piccolo and 11-12 at the start of DB.
Goku was born in Age 736 so he's 12 at the start of DB then turns 13 the same year (year 749), he's 14 on year 750 (1st Tournament/Red Ribbon) then there's a 3 year timeskip so when we're back at age 753 (2nd Tournament/King Piccolo) he is now 17.

Remember two constants: it takes one year for the Dragon Balls to re-spawn AND the Tournament in DB is once every 3 years.

http://dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/List_o ... s_and_ages

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:36 pm

Raphael_Z wrote:Goku was born in Age 736
Only if you take Gine's words literal, which is not something most people will do. When the difference is one year, one can think the person rounded up the information; in this case, Gine just rounded it up the time Goku spent in the incubator, he can still be born in AGE 737 just fine.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:59 am

GodVegetto91 wrote: That’s why they have Broly now who has even more potential than Gohan. I guess we won in the end lol

Potential wise, Goku and Vegeta are indeed much lower than Gohan. But Broly is of the very highest caliber, and fans are going to get all the Broly wank they desire with this one.
Do we even know that? Broly's been completely rewritten as a character, who knows what they plan on doing with him. He might not even survive by the end of the movie. It's too early to make assumptions about what his path will be in the franchise.

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:55 am

Xeztin wrote:Evolved Blue I can handle, UI and MUI should never be used again, ever. They can come up with cheap imitations no where near its power like SSJB was at first thought to be the only way they could use the power of SSG. MUI will more or less render any opponent ever useless. I’m fine with Goku bringing UI out for a split second by accident to dodge an attack but not to fight with it.
Oh please stop. That argument is wholly false and inaccurate. Ofcourse MUI should be used again, it’s the coolest form that fans LOVE. They’re not going to take something like that away that brings in tons of viewers and money just because you, a single individual, dislikes the idea.

Here’s the thing..

Are you listening?

MUI Goku was getting overpowered by Jiren several times. So it’s NOT like he’s this invincible, untouchable dude who’s win is always guaranteed. This is a fact that the show has proven. So they might aswell use him in this movie. Especially against Broly who is implied to be EVEN STRONGER THAN JIREN! Obviously Goku will need UI to even be able to fight against him. And since Jiren already caused this much trouble for MUI Goku, just try to imagine what BROLY would be able to do with his ever increasing power..

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:54 am

So silhouette speculation time....

Nothing for December's HG...

Vs
But then this for Jan's...

:think:

Also guys UI Goku or Vegeta is 99.9999% not happening. They would not be marketing SSG Goku & Vegeta if UI was in the film and movie marketing drops off after Jan. Bandai already confirmed by saying their Shikishi Art in December will use characters from the movie "DBS: Broly" and from other "DBS" like UI Goku. They've made a separate distinction that the UI Goku they'll use in the December Shikishi Art will not be from the movie. Furthermore UI is not a spoiler. It's a form that already exits it would be marketed already alongside FP Broly there is no reason to hide it especially since UI Goku is a best seller (July's Grandista got the highest case orders a DB figure ever had!). Hell as you can see above Bandai are releasing SSGSS Goku twice for the HG set why would they do that if UI Goku was in the film?

I'll gladly eat crow if I am wrong but at this point not looking very likely.

Xeztin
I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:14 am

GodVegetto91 wrote:
Xeztin wrote:Evolved Blue I can handle, UI and MUI should never be used again, ever. They can come up with cheap imitations no where near its power like SSJB was at first thought to be the only way they could use the power of SSG. MUI will more or less render any opponent ever useless. I’m fine with Goku bringing UI out for a split second by accident to dodge an attack but not to fight with it.
Oh please stop. That argument is wholly false and inaccurate. Ofcourse MUI should be used again, it’s the coolest form that fans LOVE. They’re not going to take something like that away that brings in tons of viewers and money just because you, a single individual, dislikes the idea. Again, I’m fine with UI popping up for split seconds to dodge attacks, but unless they keep finding Saiyan popscicles or fossils I’m not sure how well it’d be story wise unless you want to turn the whole franchise into Super Heroes.

Here’s the thing..

Are you listening?

MUI Goku was getting overpowered by Jiren several times. So it’s NOT like he’s this invincible, untouchable dude who’s win is always guaranteed. This is a fact that the show has proven. So they might aswell use him in this movie. Especially against Broly who is implied to be EVEN STRONGER THAN JIREN! Obviously Goku will need UI to even be able to fight against him. And since Jiren already caused this much trouble for MUI Goku, just try to imagine what BROLY would be able to do with his ever increasing power..
Listening? You mean reading? (No need to reply smartly otherwise don’t reply at all right?) MUI Goku and Jiren were implied to be the two strongest out of all universes even more so than Gods. That is ridiculous if you plan to continue. As an author would you plan to keep bringing bad guys from ice cubes and planet prisons? Or bringing back past villians? a story can’t advance if its focused on villians from 1 million years ago. Sure its cool, but what does it do for the present? Why not just send Goku back in time where all the ancient Saiyans are if that is the case? There will be no challenge in the living world to Goku or Vegeta, Jiren was implied to be the strongest in all universes that is known to be alive and moving. So unless its an ancient being or someone who was froze and forgot about you’re not going to have anyone stronger unless you prefer “oh yeah he didn’t compete but this guys stronger than Jiren” or the ole artificial power/DB wish statement. The franchise is already purely marketed or created to sell toys and cards. I don’t want guys stronger than Gods popping up left and right otherwise why do we have Gods? It should be rare. Jiren should be rare. If they planned on spamming MUI every fight they wouldn’t have had GokU and Vegeta admit they couldn’t do it anymore. This seemed to be the original plan for SSG but it was dropped, so having something used once because of it being op is definately an idea they thought of. Also MUi is literally a white haired SSG, so I’m not seeing the originality. I thought UI was a lot better. MUI was marketed as the end all be all, completion of the gods! The gray hair even more so backed that up. I’d rather them go a different route than spam MUI like they did Blue, it makes it more special if it ever does appear. Also MUI isn’t knew, don’t you think they’d marketed it like SSJB or SSG if they were going to use it? Even if Broly is stronger unless he has this infinate stamina, he’d eventually tire out agaisnt MUI. Thats why you’ll see SSJB Gogeta. You probably wouldn’t love it if you seen it every arc, it would get old and would not be special.
Last edited by Xeztin on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.