Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Doctor. » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:47 am

How was Paragus NOT a tragic character already?

Not really sure they understand the movie they're rebooting. I bet this is gonna end up some revolting, over-the-top, melodramatic schlock.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:30 am

"They close out with general hype for how the movie looks great and should get a response out of people. They reiterate that they've also got overseas audiences in mind, so the action scenes are intense. Apparently that's what us foreign chaps care about."

Let's just hope they realize we aren't all just no-brainers in the west, waiting for some kick-ass only. I think there are more than a few on this board who would happily like to sacrifice some action scenes to good story-telling. The art is about finding the right balance.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:04 am

It's gonna be super awkward if Minus is the first 20-30 minutes of the movie. Like how Kai starts with the end of the Bardock special.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:14 am

ekrolo2 wrote:It's gonna be super awkward if Minus is the first 20-30 minutes of the movie. Like how Kai starts with the end of the Bardock special.

Not really, since it was stated the movie would contain a lot of fanservice. There are going to be Minus-elements in the flashbacks, but i don't expect it to be completely Minus, as Broly's past isn't explained in Minus.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:16 am

Since the film is all about "the paths of destiny that lead to an encounter between Goku, Vegeta, and Broly", I imagine that the first 20-30 minutes will be dedicated to going through their origins back on Planet Vegeta. They did say that there will be a lot of scenes set in the past, so it would make sense to go through each character's origins.

alakazam^
I Live Here

Post by alakazam^ » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:17 am

ekrolo2 wrote:It's gonna be super awkward if Minus is the first 20-30 minutes of the movie. Like how Kai starts with the end of the Bardock special.
There's nothing awkward about that.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:27 am

The first 20-30 minutes in the movie will definitely be sad if we're about to have DB Minus in there.
If the world premier is in November, a new trailer in October is a given. Either at NY Comic-Con or not.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:29 am

Mister_Popo wrote:

Not really, since it was stated the movie would contain a lot of fanservice. There are going to be Minus-elements in the flashbacks, but i don't expect it to be completely Minus, as Broly's past isn't explained in Minus.
I say awkward because I can very easily see it feeling like a whole other story all on its own shoved in as the prologue of another one.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:36 am

So why are people assuming 1/4th of the movie is about Minus? Did I miss anything? The only thing I remember is those little scenes in the trailer.

Starting the movie with the past to explain Broly's backstory story, while giving a little more info on others is a no-brainer. If they would adapt Minus it would take like 5 minutes, not even that. Plus I don't expect Bardock to appear and he's 75% of Minus.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:43 am

LightBing wrote:So why are people assuming 1/4th of the movie is about Minus? Did I miss anything? The only thing I remember is those little scenes in the trailer.

Starting the movie with the past to explain Broly's backstory story, while giving a little more info on others is a no-brainer. If they would adapt Minus it would take like 5 minutes, not even that. Plus I don't expect Bardock to appear and he's 75% of Minus.
Bardock was in the trailer so...
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Post by #17 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:57 am

Just one thing I ask myself... Broly is clearly berserker mode all the time but what if he learns to control the firm like Kale has fine? It would skyrocket him even more

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:08 am

AnimeNation101 wrote: Bardock was in the trailer so...
Where? He is nowhere in the trailer.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:30 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:

There is a scene with a small hand on a big hand. I bet that's Bardock and Goku.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:59 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:
The scene with the big hand and small hand is right out of DBMinus. Its Goku and Bardock.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:31 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:

Sorry if i'm the third person to tell you this, but it's definitely Goku and Bardock's scene from Minus.

Look at Bardock and Goku's wristbands, and also look at the rocky (tree-like) terrain in the background. They are identical.

ShenEvil44

Post by ShenEvil44 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:34 am

I had this real crazy dream last night that I was watching the new Broly movie and Broly cuts Goku in half by his torso. In that instantaneous moment, Goku's upper half uses Shunkan Idō to teleport to Korin's Tower, grab a Senzu, teleport back and reattach his torso while eating it. I think this movie is going to be better in my head. 8)

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:49 am

I meant I don't expect Bardock to appear in any significant role, that's why adapting Minus where for the lack of a better word Bardock is the main character won't happen.

We'll get a flashback to explain what happened to Broly, maybe Vegeta murdering some aliens as a kid, Goku being sent out like in Minus and Freeza destroying Planet Vegeta from another angle because we haven't seen it enough times yet.
All to connect the points until the present, I think that's the realistic expectation.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:20 am

The problem with Dragon Ball Minus is that a better version of that story, that doesn't contradict anything in the manga and it's loved by most people, was already released 20+ years ago. Akira Toriyama, even as the creator, came late to the party and the fact that he didn't flesh out his version more doesn't work on his favour either.

I almost feel like saying he didn't have the right to change everything 2 decades later, but oh well it's Toriyama. He can do whatever he wants.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:21 am

ekrolo2 wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:

I say awkward because I can very easily see it feeling like a whole other story all on its own shoved in as the prologue of another one.
I would make a Killing Joke reference, but this doesn't sound like it'll be as disjointed and separate as THAT movie was.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:23 am

LightBing wrote:I meant I don't expect Bardock to appear in any significant role, that's why adapting Minus where for the lack of a better word Bardock is the main character won't happen.

We'll get a flashback to explain what happened to Broly, maybe Vegeta murdering some aliens as a kid, Goku being sent out like in Minus and Freeza destroying Planet Vegeta from another angle because we haven't seen it enough times yet.
All to connect the points until the present, I think that's the realistic expectation.
Bardock doesn't do much in Minus besides steal the pod to send Kakarot off-world anyway. I think they could easily cover all his scenes in Minus in 10 minutes or less.

I figure what they'll do is frame the story around Frieza, both in the present and in the past. He'll be the connective tissue linking Goku, Vegeta and Broly's stories together. He's the reason Goku and Vegeta were off-world when the planet was destroyed and I'm sure whatever new backstory Paragus and Broly have is going to be tied to him in some way. Minus Frieza was shown to have knowledge of Super Saiyan God and I'm wondering if it's just coincidence that that form is getting focus here.