Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Arg
Beyond Newbie

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Arg » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:05 am

This trailer was cinema at its best finally meeting dragonball. Calling it now, a breakthrough movie for the series.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:16 am

2 new characters are important enough, MORE THAN VEGETA, to get Ichiban Kuji figures alongside SSGSS Goku and FP Broly. Very interesting...

Also Vegeta continues to get shafted by the merch dept, so great... :roll: 2018 just ain't his year, I also expect NuBroly and Goku to lead most of the merch into 2019.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:31 am

Am I the only one NOT hyped about the trailer?

I mean firstly it feels like the movie is going to be #8 all over again. I hate Broly - am/was willing to give this movie a chance, hoping that they'll do something more interesting with him. The trailer did nto fill me with confidence in that regard; it doesn't seem like he's going to much more than the DB equivalent of HULK SMASH. Which is shit.

Secondly - sorry, the trailer gives away too much! We now know that there'll be some backstory filler and that Broly shows up, trashes Vegeta, trashes Freeza and trashes Goku, very likely prompting Goku to use UI (because there is no way in hell that isn't happening).

I also suspect that very little will be done with Beerus, which is stupid as he and Whis SHOULD be concerned about mortals more powerful than a GoD showing up (first Jiren and now Broly).

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:38 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:2 new characters are important enough, MORE THAN VEGETA, to get Ichiban Kuji figures alongside SSGSS Goku and FP Broly. Very interesting...

Also Vegeta continues to get shafted by the merch dept, so great... :roll: 2018 just ain't his year, I also expect NuBroly and Goku to lead most of the merch into 2019.
Are you talking about something that was already revealed like the Lemo and Cheelay (?) or are they surprise character.Cause it just might be Vegeta with a new hair color.

Basaku
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Basaku » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:53 am

Animation looks great for the most part and very fitting for DB, basically what Super should've looked like. As for the story stuff presented in the trailer, it doesn't show anything new for Broly so far. Same old scream-fighting-fest as before. Hopefully full movie will have much more but I do agree that the franchise needs to move forward and bring in new concepts. Freeza again, Broly again. Doesn't even matter it's a different Broly. It's still 4th time for him, another Freeza involvement, another round of predictable Saiyan flashbacks. I love the race, their lore and all, but if they wanna keep digging into it they need to add NEW stuff... have some long lost tribe with their own backstory, or some other new secrets from the past. NEW. Not redone/remixed stuff from the 90s. Freeza & Broly concepts been done to death.

Also, those character transformation sheets prove once again how damn awful SSG form is and doesn't fit at all with any other transformation. Yikes

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:08 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:2 new characters are important enough, MORE THAN VEGETA, to get Ichiban Kuji figures alongside SSGSS Goku and FP Broly. Very interesting...
One of them is probably Paragus but could the other be UI Goku or Gogeta ? Gogeta would count as a new character and they'd want to keep UI under wraps so that's a good reason to call it "new".
Last edited by sintzu on Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SonReggie
Beyond Newbie

Post by SonReggie » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:09 am

Basaku wrote:Animation looks great for the most part and very fitting for DB, basically what Super should've looked like. As for the story stuff presented in the trailer, it doesn't show anything new for Broly so far. Same old scream-fighting-fest as before. Hopefully full movie will have much more but I do agree that the franchise needs to move forward and bring in new concepts. Freeza again, Broly again. Doesn't even matter it's a different Broly. It's still 4th time for him, another Freeza involvement, another round of predictable Saiyan flashbacks. I love the race, their lore and all, but if they wanna keep digging into it they need to add NEW stuff... have some long lost tribe with their own backstory, or some other new secrets from the past. NEW. Not redone/remixed stuff from the 90s. Freeza & Broly concepts been done to death.

Also, those character transformation sheets prove once again how damn awful SSG form is and doesn't fit at all with any other transformation. Yikes
This.

Personally, I would have preferred a Universe 6 story. We haven't seen Vegeta visit the king of the universe 6 Saiyans.

But no - we get HULK SMASH instead. :thumbdown:
Last edited by SonReggie on Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:13 am

SonReggie wrote:I would have preferred a Universe 6 story. We haven't seen Vegeta visit the king ofthe universe 6 Saiyans.
That'll probably be an arc in Super once it's back.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:13 am

I'm really only liking this because it is Broly and not some other random Saiyan. I hope Toriyama and co. just wanted to get this out of the way, so after this they won't focus so much on Saiyan lore for awhile.
Anyways trailer is fucking awesome and hype has reached astronomical levels!
The only thing wrong is Goku's face, lmao. His chin is too pointy for my looking, especially at the start of the trailer.

JazzMazz
I Live Here
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Post by JazzMazz » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:19 am

dbgtFO wrote:I'm really only liking this because it is Broly and not some other random Saiyan. I hope Toriyama and co. just wanted to get this out of the way, so after this they won't focus so much on Saiyan lore for awhile.
Anyways trailer is fucking awesome and hype has reached astronomical levels!
The only thing wrong is Goku's face, lmao. His chin is too pointy for my looking, especially at the start of the trailer.
I think its more the neck in some shots than anything else. I personally feel its not broad enough.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:21 am

Michsi wrote:

Are you talking about something that was already revealed like the Lemo and Cheelay (?) or are they surprise character.Cause it just might be Vegeta with a new hair color.
They labelled it as "Theatrical movie new character A & B", so dunno if it is someone who has already been revealed or yet to, but it is deffo not Vegeta as both Goku and Vegeta will always be labelled even if they're forms are spoilers (in that case their forms will be labelled as "provisional form" or ???). At least that is always how it has been in the past, just as recent as UI this year that was the pattern, was also the case for ResF too.
sintzu wrote:
One of them is probably Paragus but could the other be UI Goku or Gogeta ? Gogeta would count as a new character and they'd want to keep UI under wraps so that's a good reason to call it "new".
Goku would be labelled in that case like for the ToP all UI merch prior to the reveal was still labelled as Son Goku but either "provisional form" or "???" after. So UI seems unlikely.

Gogeta/Vegetto still a possibility as they don't label fusions if they're spoiler-y. Like the recent SDBH Vegetto Blue figures were labelled as "SECRET" before the reveal.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:34 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Gogeta/Vegetto still a possibility as they don't label fusions if they're spoiler-y. Like the recent SDBH Vegetto Blue figures were labelled as "SECRET" before the reveal.
If that's the case then I think the chances of Gogeta just went up cause you can add that to the movies they selected to show leading up to this in the US.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:35 am

SonReggie wrote:Am I the only one NOT hyped about the trailer?

I mean firstly it feels like the movie is going to be #8 all over again. I hate Broly - am/was willing to give this movie a chance, hoping that they'll do something more interesting with him. The trailer did nto fill me with confidence in that regard; it doesn't seem like he's going to much more than the DB equivalent of HULK SMASH. Which is shit.

Secondly - sorry, the trailer gives away too much! We now know that there'll be some backstory filler and that Broly shows up, trashes Vegeta, trashes Freeza and trashes Goku, very likely prompting Goku to use UI (because there is no way in hell that isn't happening).

I also suspect that very little will be done with Beerus, which is stupid as he and Whis SHOULD be concerned about mortals more powerful than a GoD showing up (first Jiren and now Broly).
The film IS going to be Movie #8 again but altered to fit with the new canon - I'm not sure why you would expect anything else? I feel like you're looking for a lot more depth from Dragonball than we have ever been given.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:48 am

sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Gogeta/Vegetto still a possibility as they don't label fusions if they're spoiler-y. Like the recent SDBH Vegetto Blue figures were labelled as "SECRET" before the reveal.
If that's the case then I think the chances of Gogeta just went up cause you can add that to the movies they selected to show leading up to this in the US.
I wouldn't say went up but the possibility stills looms. The Ichiban Kuji is scheduled for early December, before the film comes out... so if and I mean if the fusions are in the movie they will be formally revealed before the film.

Xaroc
Beyond Newbie

Post by Xaroc » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:49 am

Btw. I find it interesting that after Paragus orders Broly to attack he goes for Vegeta first. So... I hope that does indicate there won't be a "Kakarotto cried. A lot. That's why he hates him." moment. Because I believe he would have attacked Gokuu first otherwise. (Or maybe this time it is indeed reversed, that Broly hates Vegeta because King Vegeta did something to him. Who knows?) At least I love this trailer so far. And I can't exactly say why. I mean yes, so far Broly looks like a savage beast without ANY personality. But maybe he was one of those undercover babies that succeded in "cleaning" his target planet, but because Freeza destroyed Planet Vegeta, nobody came to look for him and pick him up (and all records where he sent were destroyed by this as well). So he had to live all by himself on a planet devoid of other life until Paragus finally found him again by chance. But at this point he didn't develope social skills of any kind. I think that could be at least a possibility and would be better than "he became so powerful and hates Gokuu that much that he can only utter single lines and "KAKAROTTO!!!".

But all this Saiyajin from the past stuff... makes me wishing for something like "Dragonball Roots", a series that is entirely about the past Saiyajins (on Planet Vegeta, not Sarada). Episodes focused on different people. King Vegeta, Nappa, Vegeta (once he was born), Bardock (and Gine, I guess), Radditz, and more. And of course it'd end with Gokuu being send away and Freeza going full tyrant on the Saiyajin and blowing them up.
PSN: Xaroc__
(playing Xenoverse 2 on PS5)
CaC-Name: Xaroc

交代だ ("Kōtaida")
"My turn." - Roxas, 2019

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:51 am

It took a few turns of rewatching to fully understand what was up with the trailer, my interest should have increased but it dipped down instead, Broly vs Goku looking neat but that's pretty much the only thing that I am looking forward to, the more I think about the supposed history of Saiyans the more disinterested I become, I hope this turns out to be a case of don't judge a book by it's cover..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:52 am

SonReggie wrote:Secondly - sorry, the trailer gives away too much! We now know that there'll be some backstory filler and that Broly shows up, trashes Vegeta, trashes Freeza and trashes Goku, very likely prompting Goku to use UI (because there is no way in hell that isn't happening)
I could have told you all that a week ago. We knew there'd be some back story because they said it was going to involve the history of the Saiyans.

We knew Frieza was in it and he was always going to fight Broly. Then naturally Broly would beat the tar out of Vegeta and Goku prior to him coming out with something better. That happens in all the movies.

These arent exactly the best written movies. They're just rock em sock em movies for fun.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:54 am

I do understand that some people wanted a brand new character, but boi I'm so hyped and so I'm so curious to know the story, there are lots of flashback... that's pretty interesting and boi Broly looks dope.

I just hope people will end up having a good time watching the movie.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Gt91
Regular

Post by Gt91 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:09 am

Hype over 1 million! Finally vegeta ssG!!! :D

The trailer is amazing and i hope to see bardack too :D

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:15 am

Bullza wrote:
SonReggie wrote:Secondly - sorry, the trailer gives away too much! We now know that there'll be some backstory filler and that Broly shows up, trashes Vegeta, trashes Freeza and trashes Goku, very likely prompting Goku to use UI (because there is no way in hell that isn't happening)
I could have told you all that a week ago. We knew there'd be some back story because they said it was going to involve the history of the Saiyans.

We knew Frieza was in it and he was always going to fight Broly. Then naturally Broly would beat the tar out of Vegeta and Goku prior to him coming out with something better. That happens in all the movies.

These arent exactly the best written movies. They're just rock em sock em movies for fun.
Exactly, and it doesn't mean they can't be good, fun movies either. The Avengers films aren't exactly gleaming with depth and they are massively formulaic, but they're still also massively popular and successful.