Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:39 am

I really hope MangaUK get off their arses and have some screenings of the movie in January or February like everyone else is getting.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:41 am

Gohan can be not involved as long as an explanation is provided..
My version would be nobody knew a monster like Broly was gonna show up..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:49 am

Ki Breaker wrote:Gohan can be not involved as long as an explanation is provided..
That doesn't really work because the same can be said of Freeza in Resurrection F. He just shows up with no prep time for anyone.

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:57 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Firebolt wrote:I was really hoping the new Broly would introduce a new Super Saiyan form instead of reusing the old green haired LSS one, but oh well.

Does this mean Broly will have any connection to Kale? Is his form SS Beserker?
I'd be happy with him keeping his LSsj form as there are already too many.

Probably. Vegeta said her form could be tied to the Lssj so that'll probably come up.
1. LSSJ doesn’t exist as a form in DBS, so him having LSSJ technically is adding a new form. Let alone a form thats just like Kale’s. And it would make sense if the forms has different names because they’re the same form.

2. Vegeta never said that. All he said was, “That my be the saiyan’s true form”. And he said this in response to Kale. He was saying that the Berserk SSJ form might be Kale’s true form. Nothing more, nothing less. I don’t know how you got that from this.
Goku talked about LSSJ in 113/114 episode preview.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:01 am

Kagari wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:Gohan can be not involved as long as an explanation is provided..
That doesn't really work because the same can be said of Freeza in Resurrection F. He just shows up with no prep time for anyone.
But everyone knew he was gonna show up, maybe nobody knows Broly is going to, and it was on earth, maybe this battle dosen't even take place there..

But yes, I would prefer if Gohan was involved in some way or the other, I just won't lose sleep over it if he isn't, for it can be done believably
Last edited by Ki Breaker on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

LifeLight

Post by LifeLight » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:04 am

There's a lot of potential for a large scale plotline here.

It's really hard to try and pin Broly's motives this early on, but I think it would be interesting to see a more sane Broly that may be looking for answers on the destruction of the Saiyan planet. Provided he isn't screaming Kakarot every second he actually would have plenty reason to hate Frieza, arguably Beerus as well if that little secret gets out. Which I could see Frieza spilling the beans just for the sake of getting Beerus into shit. Who knows.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:09 am

LifeLight wrote:There's a lot of potential for a large scale plotline here.

It's really hard to try and pin Broly's motives this early on, but I think it would be interesting to see a more sane Broly that may be looking for answers on the destruction of the Saiyan planet. Provided he isn't screaming Kakarot every second he actually would have plenty reason to hate Frieza, arguably Beerus as well if that little secret gets out. Which I could see Frieza spilling the beans just for the sake of getting Beerus into shit. Who knows.
In the poster we see his space pod and in the stickers what seems like a green jacket similar to what Goku has so maybe he's been stuck on an icy planet the whole time and has no idea what happened since the time he left. Toriyama brought up some destiny between him, Goku and Vegeta so I think their fathers were involved with on another that may not have ended well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:16 am

Gohan is a side character. He's not owed an explanation any more than Goten or Trunks.

If the setting is a snowy planet, there's even less reason to get him involved unless the Earth is in immediate danger or something.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:17 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
Gohan is a side character. He's not owed an explanation any more than Goten or Trunks.
Yet he always gets one whenever he is absent?

I like my story told in a well put coherent way, and getting to know why a very powerful character on your side isn't even there to face a big threat is a good start, which Dragonball has managed to do pretty much everytime, I expect nothing less this time around
Last edited by Ki Breaker on Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:26 am, edited 3 times in total.

LifeLight

Post by LifeLight » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:17 am

sintzu wrote:
LifeLight wrote:There's a lot of potential for a large scale plotline here.

In the poster we see his space pod and in the stickers what seems like a green jacket similar to what Goku has so maybe he's been stuck on an icy planet the whole time and has no idea what happened since the time he left. Toriyama brought up some destiny between him, Goku and Vegeta so I think their fathers were involved with on another that may not have ended well.

The space pods throw an even bigger spanner in the works, since it could imply that Broly and Paragus traveled to earth or wherever the heroes are at the time. But the ice also implies that Broly might've been frozen there for a long long time, but then it wouldn't make sense because Paragus is apparently in the movie so they'd have to be together to begin with, making it a lot less likely for Broly to have been frozen this entire time.(Unless Paragus is just in a flashback) It'll mean there needs to be a damn great explanation as to where the heck they've been all this time.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:29 am

Marlowe89 wrote:

If the setting is a snowy planet, there's even less reason to get him involved unless the Earth is in immediate danger or something.
He's still a major character. Why else did Super give him so much focus in its second half. He's also been in every Z film except 11 so the chances of him doing at least something is well established. Even Resurrection F gave him his role with the Z Fighters, despite the nerfs.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:33 am

LifeLight wrote:The space pods throw an even bigger spanner in the works, since it could imply that Broly and Paragus traveled to earth or wherever the heroes are at the time. But the ice also implies that Broly might've been frozen there for a long long time, but then it wouldn't make sense because Paragus is apparently in the movie so they'd have to be together to begin with, making it a lot less likely for Broly to have been frozen this entire time.(Unless Paragus is just in a flashback) It'll mean there needs to be a damn great explanation as to where the heck they've been all this time.
I think Paragus may have died alongside everyone else while Broly managed to escape somehow, maybe he was a baby like Goku or on a mission like Vegeta depending on his age. With the talk of history and destiny I think Paragus must've had something to do with Bardock and King Vegeta. Maybe he was second in line to take over after King Vegeta but instead of waiting tried to take over only for Bardock to help the king take him down which will bring things full circle when his son Broly is faced with Goku and Vegeta. Regardless of what happens, this movie has so much potential to be great, something I never thought I'd say about a Broly movie.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:39 am

The longer I think about it, the more I believe SSJ4 will indeed be a thing in this movie. Some have already pointed out the deeper shade around the eyes, but then I thought "wait, there are no irises and the irises are one of the most important things of that transformation" Then I remembered the trailer and that we indeed see gold rimmed irises for Broly there. Buckle up, folks. It just might happen.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:39 am

Shounen wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
I'd be happy with him keeping his LSsj form as there are already too many.

Probably. Vegeta said her form could be tied to the Lssj so that'll probably come up.
1. LSSJ doesn’t exist as a form in DBS, so him having LSSJ technically is adding a new form. Let alone a form thats just like Kale’s. And it would make sense if the forms has different names because they’re the same form.

2. Vegeta never said that. All he said was, “That my be the saiyan’s true form”. And he said this in response to Kale. He was saying that the Berserk SSJ form might be Kale’s true form. Nothing more, nothing less. I don’t know how you got that from this.
No. He didn’t. LSSJ was NEVER mentioned in Dragon Ball Super
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Marlowe89 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:43 am

Ki Breaker wrote: Yet he always gets one whenever he is absent?
Often as an ongoing gag. That's fine. I like Gohan gags.

My point is that I'm not going to lose any sleep over his possible exclusion, and neither should anyone else who doesn't just want him lumped in for fanservice. I want the characters that play a role within the narrative, the characters that Toriyama feels like dedicating time to for this specific film. If Gohan isn't one of them, I couldn't care less about seeing him for extended periods of time.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:48 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Shounen wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: 1. LSSJ doesn’t exist as a form in DBS, so him having LSSJ technically is adding a new form. Let alone a form thats just like Kale’s. And it would make sense if the forms has different names because they’re the same form.

Yes, in the preview Goku says something like this "Kale becomes a real legendary super saiyan"
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:57 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote: Yet he always gets one whenever he is absent?
Often as an ongoing gag. That's fine. I like Gohan gags.

My point is that I'm not going to lose any sleep over his possible exclusion, and neither should anyone else who doesn't just want him lumped in for fanservice. I want the characters that play a role within the narrative, the characters that Toriyama feels like dedicating time to for this specific film. If Gohan isn't one of them, I couldn't care less about seeing him for extended periods of time.
None of this is related to why Gohan being excluded shouldn't be provided with an explanation, it's a story, and should be told like a story..

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:59 am

sintzu wrote:
LifeLight wrote:The space pods throw an even bigger spanner in the works, since it could imply that Broly and Paragus traveled to earth or wherever the heroes are at the time. But the ice also implies that Broly might've been frozen there for a long long time, but then it wouldn't make sense because Paragus is apparently in the movie so they'd have to be together to begin with, making it a lot less likely for Broly to have been frozen this entire time.(Unless Paragus is just in a flashback) It'll mean there needs to be a damn great explanation as to where the heck they've been all this time.
I think Paragus may have died alongside everyone else while Broly managed to escape somehow, maybe he was a baby like Goku or on a mission like Vegeta depending on his age. With the talk of history and destiny I think Paragus must've had something to do with Bardock and King Vegeta. Maybe he was second in line to take over after King Vegeta but instead of waiting tried to take over only for Bardock to help the king take him down which will bring things full circle when his son Broly is faced with Goku and Vegeta. Regardless of what happens, this movie has so much potential to be great, something I never thought I'd say about a Broly movie.
IDK guys. I think Broly and Paragus are going to be ancient saiyans during the time of Planet Sadala rather than Planet Vegeta saiyans during the time of King Vegeta and Bardock.
BrolyKale wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Shounen wrote: Goku talked about LSSJ in 113/114 episode preview.
Yes, in the preview Goku says something like this "Kale becomes a real legendary super saiyan"
Goku wasn’t referencing an actual form LSSJ. Because it never existed at the time. Notice how the subtitles don’t have the word “legendary” capitaizlied while “Super Saiyan” is capitalized. Thats because the word legendary was used more as an adjective than actual apart of the title of a Super Saiyan form. And thats happened before. When Goku first went SSJ vs Freeza, in Japanese, they used the same exact words for Goku. And even Vegeta once used that phrase to describe himself.

Goku didn’t mention the form LSSJ. He used a phrase that has been used many times before that doesn’t have anything to do with the form LSSJ but just uses the adjective “legendary” to hype up the power of SSJ. And of course the word legendary was used out of any adjective as a reference. Nothing more.
Last edited by AnimeNation101 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:00 am

I hope Broly's LSSJ form won't work the same as Kale, because in movie 8 Broly was pretty aware of what he was doing unlike Kale who was uncontrollable. So I'm hoping there are different grades of that Legendary form or maybe the transformation works differently depending on the user.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:01 am

Kagari wrote:
Marlowe89 wrote:

He's still a major character. Why else did Super give him so much focus in its second half. He's also been in every Z film except 11 so the chances of him doing at least something is well established. Even Resurrection F gave him his role with the Z Fighters, despite the nerfs.
Relax, my friend. Gohan is still profitable. Toriyama said we would have fan-service then we got broly.

there is no reason to exclude him when he still makes money.