Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BrolyKale » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:09 am

Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:18 am

The movie could have been way better... :roll:

We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:22 am

So, it's probably already been posted about, but according to Sabat on Twitter, not only is that actually Chris Ayres back as Freeza (WOOT! Though I'm fully expecting some of the more intense screams might be done by Daman Mills in the film proper), but that's also Dameon Clarke as Paragus. Wasn't expecting him to come back for him, not like the guy's as big a draw as Cell is or anything.

Curiously though, one name he doesn't mention is Vic Mignogna. So is that...NOT Vic as Broly there? I mean, if he wants to leave the role, now would be the time I suppose, but the yells sounded more or less right to me. Dunno though, will be curious to see who ends up playing those other new characters too.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:37 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote:So, it's probably already been posted about, but according to Sabat on Twitter, not only is that actually Chris Ayres back as Freeza (WOOT! Though I'm fully expecting some of the more intense screams might be done by Daman Mills in the film proper), but that's also Dameon Clarke as Paragus. Wasn't expecting him to come back for him, not like the guy's as big a draw as Cell is or anything.

Curiously though, one name he doesn't mention is Vic Mignogna. So is that...NOT Vic as Broly there? I mean, if he wants to leave the role, now would be the time I suppose, but the yells sounded more or less right to me. Dunno though, will be curious to see who ends up playing those other new characters too.
I feel like if Mignogna doesn't return it would be an existing cast member like Sabat doing the voice. If it's a completely new actor it will be interesting to see what they do in the video games.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:47 am

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Jean0987654321 wrote:Paragus' design doesn't really make any sense. He's a Saiyan so unless he's like 80, he shouldn't have any gray hair nor look old
Goku is a grandfather. Paragus is old enough to be Goku's dad. He is old.
exactly, Goku, excluding the amount of time he is dead and not aging, would be born in 736, and age 780 is when the TOP takes place. This puts Goku in his 40's in terms of age but younger physically. Paragus, given he had the time to rise to be a senior in rank and high enough in the society he was in to talk directly to the king puts him perhaps in his 70's/80's by this time, assuming like any military unit he went up with age, experience and what not. He's gettin on towards that rapid drop off for saiyan age, and bare in mind he's probably not aged well from having Broly around and the shit hes been through, plus the beard doesnt help with looking youthful.

Nappa was over fifty, to put this in context, and he's already showing baldness, perhaps the drop off point doesnt work the same for people who dont fight regularly?

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:23 am

Okay, so after looking through the trailer several times and inspecting it shot for shot, I am like 99% sure that Paragus and Broly are working for Freeza. If the Freeza Force armour and the similar space ship weren't enough to convince you, take a look at this shot...
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Freeza might be intrigued by Broly's immense power and wants to use it to defeat Goku and Vegeta. The trailer shows Broly fighting Freeza, so he'll probably screw him over at some point in the film.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:27 am

The movie taking place on Earth is a letdown. I was expecting them to go meet Broly, not him being another villain that comes to Earth. Especially on Freeza spaceship, it's repetitive at this point.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:41 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:The movie taking place on Earth is a letdown. I was expecting them to go meet Broly, not him being another villain that comes to Earth. Especially on Freeza spaceship, it's repetitive at this point.
Wait how do we know it is on Earth? Didn't they soecifically say at one point they would go to another planet?

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:42 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:The movie taking place on Earth is a letdown. I was expecting them to go meet Broly, not him being another villain that comes to Earth. Especially on Freeza spaceship, it's repetitive at this point.
Very. I love the animation, but storywise I'm not excited for this movie. Outside of Freeza, it looks like another Goku and Vegeta slash fest. The only other Z fighter that very briefly appeared in the trailer was Piccolo and we all know he won't do anything.

It's just boring to me. Goku and Vegeta fuse to become Vegito god form and beats Broly. That will look amazing but not super exciting.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:01 am

PFM18 wrote:
Wait how do we know it is on Earth? Didn't they soecifically say at one point they would go to another planet?
Herms tweet:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The way I see it is that Freeza will go meet Paragus/Broly wherever they are and bring them to Earth. I would like to believe there was more than this, but I won't hold my breath with current Toriyama at the helm.

So far the trailer seems like - Freeza comes back to Earth with new soldiers again. Nothing original.
I was expecting that icy location to be Freeza's home, frozen Sadala, or just another planet. In other words, anything but Earth.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:20 am

There's also a Dragon Ball falling into an icy crack in the ground during the trailer. I have to wonder if Freeza entices Paragus and Broli to work with him by offering them the Dragon Balls as a way to revive the Saiyans?
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:24 am

JulieYBM wrote:There's also a Dragon Ball falling into an icy crack in the ground during the trailer. I have to wonder if Freeza entices Paragus and Broli to work with him by offering them the Dragon Balls as a way to revive the Saiyans?
Seems possible, after all rebuilding the Saiyan world was a major plot point of the first movie..
I will have to assume Paragus hates Vegeta openly this time around and straight up orders broly to go ham on his ass
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

dbzfan619

Post by dbzfan619 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:29 am

I really hope Gogeta does not appear in this movie. Goku/Vegeta need to get stronger on their own without any fanservice BS. This plot really needs to get past this whole
'weaker yet able to put a scratch on Beerus' plotline that's only regressing the story. Ultra Instinct is predictable, yet new and unique and should get the spotlight. Its been shown as the ultimate form and should continue to be so.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:31 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:The whole point of Minus was to show the circumstances that led to Goku being sent away to Earth, which is something that directly ties to Jaco's series (hence why it's part of it) and by extension, Dragon Ball.

That its purpose and that what Toriyama set out to do. People are entitled not to like it, but to judge it as if it should be something else entirely, have a (dramatic) story arc, or be something akin to the TV special like a story about Bardock or his last stand against Freeza, is unfair. That wasn't the point of it. If anything, it leaves room for that story to be told later on as he sees fit, which is a bonus. I hope he takes that opportunity with this movie since I find the title character to be the least exciting thing about it.
Sigh. It's been four years, and this whole "your expectations were wrong" argument is getting really tiresome. I certainly had no expectations or desire for it to be the Bardock Special. That's a little gem I've had to refute for far too long. My only expectation was that it be good. That it tell an engaging story. Those are not overblown expectations. That's the bare minimum to expect of any work of fiction. And if that's become too high a standard, then our standards as Dragon Ball fans have become embarrassingly low. Because when I see people describe why they like Minus, it's usually written this way: "Well, yeah, it wasn't that great, but, man, we got to see Goku's mom, and that makes it totally worth it!" All Toriyama had to do was throw out that design, and some people just ate it up. That's not a story. That's fanservice. And we don't spend enough time with Goku's mom (or his dad for that matter) to understand who she is beyond the one superficial trait that she's peaceful. That's not a character. That's a piece of trivia.

And, well, here I am going down the rabbit hole again, and I'm not even sure why because I'm pretty sure you and I have had this discussion before. But I will admit I had one more expectation: that, as a prequel, this not screw anything up that came before. And it couldn't even manage to do that. And, no, I'm not talking about contradicting the Bardock special or little naked baby Goku. In fact, I'm just going to pull from my Dragon Ball Dissection script because I've enumerated this point too many times in the past to write it out again, and because, for anyone reading this the first time, I don't want to risk screwing it up in my haste:

"But what really makes Dragon Ball Minus such a disgrace in my eyes is because of this exchange right here. Before they start fighting, Vegeta tries to rattle Goku by comparing their statuses in Saiyan society, saying that Goku should feel privileged to get to fight an elite, and that the whole reason Goku was sent to earth in the first place is because Saiyans are tested for combat aptitude at birth, and those with no promise are sent to subjugate weak planets like this one. However, Goku is unfazed by this insult. In fact, he says he's glad to have been considered trash because that was what allowed him to escape those very limitations his society had placed upon him. It taught him that hard work is more important than social status or a fate placed on him while he's still an infant.

Goku's journey this arc, aside from running back and forth along a boring snake, ties into finding out who he is. And it's nothing good. His native species are terrible people. His brother kidnaps his son. His other remaining kinsmen kill his friends. He's saved the world, but he was actually sent here to destroy it, and it was only through a lucky chance that that wasn't exactly what ended up happening. But that's exactly who Goku is. He's one of them. Except that he's not. Even as far back as his birth, his people rejected him, labeled him as nearly worthless, and shipped him off to do the only thing they judged him capable of doing. And that's the beautiful irony of it all. If they hadn't judged him to be inferior, he probably would have met the same fate as the rest of them and died. He certainly would never have saved earth and proven himself worthy to train under gods. Only because his fellow Saiyans concluded he had no potential did he manage to achieve it. And now he is face to face with the personification of that bigotry, and he is about to show him exactly what a low-born castoff can do and just how wrong they were about him. That despite their aspersions on him, he can be better than all of them. Unless of course you believe Dragon Ball Minus where his parents love him so much that they send him to earth so he can thrive, which is exactly what he ends up doing. Yawn. Toriyama admittedly flies by the seat of his pants, but I can't think of a greater example of where he seemingly came upon an amazing plot and character thread so serendipitously that he had no idea he did it and so never realized he was gleefully backing over it with a truck."

So it's bad enough that Dragon Ball Minus doesn't tell a story, doesn't include any real characters, and wastes a quarter of its already limited space dangling shiny things in front of the faces of its audience in the hopes of distracting them from noticing the lack of story and characters. But the fact that it tramples over perhaps the most beautiful thematic underpinnings Dragon Ball has ever presented in favor of a half-baked Superman ripoff that isn't even interesting in and of itself is its ultimate insult. The contrast between Goku and Vegeta forms the bedrock of their rivalry, which continues to be one of the most important aspects of the franchise to this day. And that conversation between them, before they take their iconic fighting stances, is what sets that in motion, what lays out that contrast. Dragon Ball Minus does not entirely destroy that premise. But it does damage it. Go ahead. Go back to the Saiyan Arc. Re-read what Vegeta says. And I already know what you're going to say: "Vegeta wasn't there. He doesn't know the real story. That's not a plot hole. Continuity is preserved." That's not the point. That's not what's important. What Vegeta says carries emotional weight. If you're having to keep a variation of the above quote in your head while you're reading that scene, you're having to dismiss what Vegeta says as incorrect. And because you're having to handwave it away as unimportant inaccuracies that aren't technically a plothole, those words are no longer resonating! They're being dismissed. They're being ignored. Their ramifications are being lost. Because Dragon Ball Minus told you they're not true. They're not worth taking seriously. And for what? Because we got to see Goku's mom. Whoopty-flippin-do.

And, just to throw a guess out here, this is probably a non-issue. I could be completely wrong, but I don't think Minus is going to play any significant role in this movie. If I had to lay it on the table right now, with admittedly very little information, I'd say you just see flashes of moments from Minus, in some kind of flashback or something. While it might tie into some kind of contrast between Goku's story and Broli's story, I doubt it will be expanded on significantly. And that's not even wishful thinking on my part. Unless expanding on Dragon Ball Minus manages to screw up another plot or thematic device from classic Dragon Ball, there is really nowhere it can go but up. They can't make Dragon Ball Minus worse than it already is. As part of a brief flashback in service to another story, that material could actually work a bit better than it does as a standalone. And, if they actually do expand on it, well, then, maybe it will finally become a story. Those are all good things in my mind.
Last edited by Gaffer Tape on Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:31 am

And it's not only fighting, i'm actually sensing a very intresting backstory here.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:34 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Michsi wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:2 new characters are important enough, MORE THAN VEGETA, to get Ichiban Kuji figures alongside SSGSS Goku and FP Broly. Very interesting...

Also Vegeta continues to get shafted by the merch dept, so great... :roll: 2018 just ain't his year, I also expect NuBroly and Goku to lead most of the merch into 2019.
Are you talking about something that was already revealed like the Lemo and Cheelay (?) or are they surprise character.Cause it just might be Vegeta with a new hair color.
They labelled it as "Theatrical movie new character A & B", so dunno if it is someone who has already been revealed or yet to, but it is deffo not Vegeta as both Goku and Vegeta will always be labelled even if they're forms are spoilers (in that case their forms will be labelled as "provisional form" or ???). At least that is always how it has been in the past, just as recent as UI this year that was the pattern, was also the case for ResF too.
sintzu wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:2 new characters are important enough, MORE THAN VEGETA, to get Ichiban Kuji figures alongside SSGSS Goku and FP Broly. Very interesting...
One of them is probably Paragus but could the other be UI Goku or Gogeta ? Gogeta would count as a new character and they'd want to keep UI under wraps so that's a good reason to call it "new".
Goku would be labelled in that case like for the ToP all UI merch prior to the reveal was still labelled as Son Goku but either "provisional form" or "???" after. So UI seems unlikely.

Gogeta/Vegetto still a possibility as they don't label fusions if they're spoiler-y. Like the recent SDBH Vegetto Blue figures were labelled as "SECRET" before the reveal.
Ok. Characters important enough that aren’t any kind of Goku or Vegeta. We have Paragus, Freeza, Gogeta, Bardock, and Gine. 2 of these 5 characters can be A and B. But as for Freeza, why would they keep him a a secret?
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:37 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:Ok. Characters important enough that aren’t any kind of Goku or Vegeta. We have Paragus, Freeza, Gogeta, Bardock, and Gine. 2 of these 5 characters can be A and B. But as for Freeza, why would they keep him a a secret?
Freeza and Paragus have already been shown so there'd be no reason to keep them a secret which leaves Bardock, Gine and Gogeta.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:40 am

sintzu wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Ok. Characters important enough that aren’t any kind of Goku or Vegeta. We have Paragus, Freeza, Gogeta, Bardock, and Gine. 2 of these 5 characters can be A and B. But as for Freeza, why would they keep him a a secret?
Freeza and Paragus have already been shown so there'd be no reason to keep them a secret which leaves Bardock, Gine and Gogeta.
Yes but as Baggie said before, we don’t know if its someone who has been revealed or not. Although i would like to think that its someone new rather than someone who’s been revealed. And yeah, so far Bardock, Gine, and Gogeta are good candidates. But since its only 2 characters and it wouldn’t make sense to have Gine without Bardock and vice-versa, it would have to be both of them and no Gogeta.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

jeffbr92
Advanced Regular

Post by jeffbr92 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:42 am

Look to for the good side, the trailer showed us varied environments and unlike RoF we might not get stucked on the same place for the action scenes.
Power levels are not just big numbers:

by Doctor.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:52 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:
PFM18 wrote:
Herms tweet:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
The way I see it is that Freeza will go meet Paragus/Broly wherever they are and bring them to Earth. I would like to believe there was more than this, but I won't hold my breath with current Toriyama at the helm.

So far the trailer seems like - Freeza comes back to Earth with new soldiers again. Nothing original.
I was expecting that icy location to be Freeza's home, frozen Sadala, or just another planet. In other words, anything but Earth.
Oh that's a real shame. I'm very disappointed to hear that.