Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Matches Malone » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:38 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:29 am
dbgtFO wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:23 pm I used a site called parcl, when I bought the DBZ 30th Anniversary set, because the official licensers don't have the rights to distribute it to my country.
I just checked this website and apparently it will cost me $85 to ship a $10 Blu-ray.

I think I may just put on my eye patch for this one. lol
Just use amazon uk.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:52 am

Matches Malone wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:38 am Just use amazon uk.
NGL I didn't think this would work because it never does when I try to order off Amazon Japan, but it worked. Mucho thanko~
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:49 pm

I was expecting an extended version of this beauty to come out before I rewatched it, but since at this point that may never come out, I decided to rewatch it today. I had a blast!

Surprisingly the CGI scenes were better than I remember.

The pacing I still think it could better. If the length cannot be extended, I would reduce some time from the present battle against Broly and show more of Bardock's rebellion.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:07 am

FortuneSSJ wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:49 pm I was expecting an extended version of this beauty to come out before I rewatched it, but since at this point that may never come out, I decided to rewatch it today. I had a blast!

Surprisingly the CGI scenes were better than I remember.

The pacing I still think it could better. If the length cannot be extended, I would reduce some time from the present battle against Broly and show more of Bardock's rebellion.
I watched it again a couple of weeks ago and I felt it was much less good than my first and second times watching it.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:35 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:07 amI watched it again a couple of weeks ago and I felt it was much less good than my first and second times watching it.
The problem is that the story and characters take a backseat to the visuals. Seeing those fights and animation the first time around is breathtaking, but once you're used to them, there's not much else worth revisiting. This is why I still consider BOG to be the best out of the 3 movies we've gotten, it focuses more on the story and characters. The producers did say the next movie will try something different, so hopefully it's more story driven than Broly was.

Resurrection N(appa)

Post by Resurrection N(appa) » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:33 pm

Does anyone know what Daigen's name pun is? I noticed it is not listed on Kanzenshuu's movie guide page. He's the big purple guy that tries to make a move on Cheelye.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/movie/dragon ... per-broly/

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:00 pm

Just rewatched this for the first time in nearly two years. My enjoyment now is the same as it was back then.

I don't think the fighting portion diminishes the story at any point; it's just a more subdued way of highlighting Broly's internal dilemmas, which ties into the larger theme of fathers and how their actions affect their offspring. This all culminates in the formation of Gogeta (an excessive fighter by design) to have the viewer progressively sympathize with the titular character as the fight escalates, and blurs the line between protagonist and antagonist in ways that Dragon Ball has never really done before. Despite borrowing concepts from older "non-canon" movies, that feels refreshing in its own right.

The battles being so fun to watch on a surface level is just a bonus, and directionally plays to Toei's strengths. With Toriyama at the helm, coupled with the anime team doing what it does best, its execution represents what Super should have been from the start.

Still my favorite DB film by far.
Formerly Marlowe89.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:25 pm

Does anyone know why the Dragonballs only granted 1 wish again? I remember this being a problem in Movies 14-15 too, but the first one had the excuse of Shrenon being scared of Beerus so him retreating made sense. Then Movie 15 had Pilaf/Mai wish for money as their second wish if I recall.

This one there was just no explanation. Shrenon granted their wish to move Broly back to the planet and then he just said their wish was granted and disappeared. I don't know why they always overlook this in the movies because it creates a plothole.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:00 pm

precita wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:25 pm Does anyone know why the Dragonballs only granted 1 wish again? I remember this being a problem in Movies 14-15 too, but the first one had the excuse of Shrenon being scared of Beerus so him retreating made sense. Then Movie 15 had Pilaf/Mai wish for money as their second wish if I recall.

This one there was just no explanation. Shrenon granted their wish to move Broly back to the planet and then he just said their wish was granted and disappeared. I don't know why they always overlook this in the movies because it creates a plothole.
Ehh I wouldn't say it's a plot hole when there's reasons it could by going by the shows established mechanics.

It just means someone else used the other 1/2 wishes recently.

It turns out Bulma has been wishing for youth in instalments so perhaps she did it less than a year ago.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:09 pm

precita wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:25 pm Does anyone know why the Dragonballs only granted 1 wish again? I remember this being a problem in Movies 14-15 too, but the first one had the excuse of Shrenon being scared of Beerus so him retreating made sense. Then Movie 15 had Pilaf/Mai wish for money as their second wish if I recall.

Well there is an explanation, a pretty simple one too. Technically while Cheelai didn’t ask for two wishes, the two things she asked for would constitute two wishes.

She asked for Shenron to save Broly and to send him back to Vampa. Saving Broly from Gogeta’s Kamehameha constitutes as the first wish, the Second Wish being to send him back to Vampa.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:26 pm

DiscountDabi wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:09 pm

Well there is an explanation, a pretty simple one too. Technically while Cheelai didn’t ask for two wishes, the two things she asked for would constitute two wishes.

She asked for Shenron to save Broly and to send him back to Vampa. Saving Broly from Gogeta’s Kamehameha constitutes as the first wish, the Second Wish being to send him back to Vampa.
I would think Shenlong would consider teleporting Broly to Vampa before Gogeta has the chance to kill him to be a single wish.

DiscountDabi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DiscountDabi » Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:38 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:26 pm

I would think Shenlong would consider teleporting Broly to Vampa before Gogeta has the chance to kill him to be a single wish.
If that’s what happened then yeah. But thats not what happened. If you look at the scene, Broly gets teleported out of the way of Gogeta’s Kamehameha, is held in the sky for a second, and then physically sent to Vampa. So you could consider it two separate actions.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:18 am

DiscountDabi wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:38 pm
WittyUsername wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:26 pm

If that’s what happened then yeah. But thats not what happened. If you look at the scene, Broly gets teleported out of the way of Gogeta’s Kamehameha, is held in the sky for a second, and then physically sent to Vampa. So you could consider it two separate actions.
Ah yes, I had been confused about that portion of the movie for a while now. Thanks for the clarification.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:58 pm

The only thing that keeps me from rewatching this movie is that power levels were the worse we ever got in this franchise, I mean if this was set into Cell to Boo arc timeline, I could buy a random prodigy nobody to go toe-on-toe with SSJ and SSJ2, but to freaking God transformations? Not only that but to be necessary a fusion to transform into God to be able to finish him off? Almost puked while writing this.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:26 pm

Noah wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:58 pm The only thing that keeps me from rewatching this movie is that power levels were the worse we ever got in this franchise, I mean if this was set into Cell to Boo arc timeline, I could buy a random prodigy nobody to go toe-on-toe with SSJ and SSJ2, but to freaking God transformations? Not only that but to be necessary a fusion to transform into God to be able to finish him off? Almost puked while writing this.
This is an issue with modern DB as a whole, as a good number of characters can easily hold their own against Blue. The biggest issue I have with the movie is how much of a push over Broly is, unlike in his original movie where he trashes everyone effortlessly. Here, both Goku and Vegeta for the most part dominate him. Even if he was a powerhouse here, it still wouldn't mean much due to Blue being challenged by basically everyone it went up against since its introduction.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:58 pm

Broly being that strong while never having a true fight is indeed weird, since he's "just" a saiyan freak and not even the "Legendary Super Saiyan". By comparison, Freeza was a "freak" by his race's standards and was never that strong.

But then again, Moro as a fragile old man who only a sliver of magic, as weak as he ever was in millions of years, could hold his own and overpower SS2 Vegeta more or less without trouble.

So as Malone said, it's more of a problem with Modern DB in general. The enemy has to be "this strong" in order for the fight to be enjoyable and believable.

Lord Frieza
I Live Here

Post by Lord Frieza » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:21 pm

Thani wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:58 pm Broly being that strong while never having a true fight is indeed weird, since he's "just" a saiyan freak and not even the "Legendary Super Saiyan". By comparison, Freeza was a "freak" by his race's standards and was never that strong.

But then again, Moro as a fragile old man who only a sliver of magic, as weak as he ever was in millions of years, could hold his own and overpower SS2 Vegeta more or less without trouble.

So as Malone said, it's more of a problem with Modern DB in general. The enemy has to be "this strong" in order for the fight to be enjoyable and believable.
It would be far less of one if any of the writers bothered to remember they have 12 whole universe from which these characters could originate and not keep having random villains keep popping up in 7.

I mean its not impossible for someone like Moro to exist in Universe 7's pasted. Hell if Toriyama hadn't jumped the gun Moro would have been a far better candidate for the person old kai was talking about during the buu arc then Beerus. Hell it would make his arc seem far better if it turned out he had been weaker then Buu in the past and was only now a threat after feeding on Goku and Vegeta.

The Undying
Banned Alternate Account

Post by The Undying » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:29 pm

Antagonists being as powerful as the plot demands is hardly a "modern DB" "problem". There's nothing elaborate or non-arbitrary about Freeza being the strongest because he's a mutant, or Boo being the strongest because he's an ancient evil monster.
Thani wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 3:58 pm Broly being that strong while never having a true fight is indeed weird
Broly was below their Super Saiyan levels before fighting them, but because he's a "freak" (and because Saiyans in general were noted to grow stronger throughout a fight, unlike Freeza's race) he became exponentially stronger in a short period of time. It's a pretty straightforward explanation.

Also, nothing establishes that Broly's potential, as a genetic outlier, can't be higher than Freeza's. Varying power ceilings have been a thing almost since Dragon Ball's inception.
Formerly Marlowe89.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:34 pm

I'm fine with Broly getting as strong as he did.

He had that classic modern Saiyan penchant for getting stronger mid-battle, having a ton of untapped potential due to his inherent limited training, the uncontrollable might of humanoid Oozaru power, the power of rage increasing his power further as he got more into the fight, AND the trigger for his own massive Super Saiyan mutation.

He had A LOT going for him all at once.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:25 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:26 pmThis is an issue with modern DB as a whole, as a good number of characters can easily hold their own against Blue. The biggest issue I have with the movie is how much of a push over Broly is, unlike in his original movie where he trashes everyone effortlessly. Here, both Goku and Vegeta for the most part dominate him. Even if he was a powerhouse here, it still wouldn't mean much due to Blue being challenged by basically everyone it went up against since its introduction.
Well, yes... and the sad thing just like RoF is that they didn't put any effort on this time too. Like Thani mentioned, this Broly never had a real fight. No matter how gifted he is or how Vampa was presentable to be an inhospitable planet it's not like the place challenged Broly every single day of his life and he never get used to it. There could have been other possibilities, I don't know... have him to be a Saiyan who was lost in other universe/dimension or something, show us why we should believe this fella was able to push Goku and Vegeta to fuse even though their enemy was just an individual.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?