Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Shaddy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:06 pm

It seems like the entire theme of this movie has been making Dragon Ball's production and aesthetic efficient, it's no surprise to me at all.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:21 pm

Anniversary special treatment. It will go back to its usual self when it comes back. :P

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:38 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Anniversary special treatment. It will go back to its usual self when it comes back. :P
Ehh, they haven’t been announcing these changes as “anniversary movie changes”. In fact, ever since the reveal of the title, the fact that it was an anniversary movie hasn’t been brought up. And considering they even hosted auditions just to find a new character designer and Toriyama personally chose Shintani, and they’ve been working together for close to a year to perfect the art, and the fact that the art style is spreading across the DB merch side, it seems like doing all this just to go back to the same old Yammy style would be quite a waste of time.

Not to mention the tons of praise this has been getting from many animators, some who even bashed modern DB’s style before. And since chances are that pre=production hasn’t even started for the new DBS series yet, if they were planning on going back to Yammys style before, its likely that after seeing all this praise from animators all over the industry and even fans that they would want to stick with the designs as it would keep the fans happy and it would make DB more convincing and inviting for animators to work on (since the style is way more animation friendly).
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Furiza

Post by Furiza » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:28 pm

So Freeza is said to have some "changes"...

Now I'm interested even more

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:54 pm

Shaddy wrote:Bringing him back just to kill him again was a mistake of RoF, but bringing him back at the end of Super clearly had a different intent than to just kill him off again in a different movie. I have the feeling Freeza was revived to be the recurring villain who gains his own strength and allies, training parallel to the heroes, probablyas setup for being the final villain. Which makes sense, having more a gallery-of-rouges of more distinct villains is a good step toward minimizing the series' longstanding narrative escalation issue. So mister Nakao may be getting the opposite of his hopes.
So the Dragon Ball equivalent of Team Rocket...

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:55 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Anniversary special treatment. It will go back to its usual self when it comes back. :P
I mean a lot of the aesthetic changes are due to switching from Yamamuro to Shintani and we don't really have much of a reason to believe that this change will be a temporary one. Or at least, not as far as I know.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:04 pm

PFM18 wrote:
I mean a lot of the aesthetic changes are due to switching from Yamamuro to Shintani and we don't really have much of a reason to believe that this change will be a temporary one. Or at least, not as far as I know.
The only thing I know of which could be a problem is Shintani being a movie guy, not a TV series one. But you'd have to ask Ajay for more info on that.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:10 pm

This whole movie feels like Toei hitting the reset button when it comes to Dragon Ball's production. They know they fucked up big time with Super's production, so they really want to get it right with this movie and going forward with the franchise.

I doubt they'll go back to the previous look with Super and just drop Shintani's designs. He was hand-picked by Toriyama himself. There's been such an overwhelmingly positive response to his designs not just from fans, but from industry animators as well. It just wouldn't make much sense to go "Okay, movie's done. Time to go back to Yamamuro's sheets." after the huge response this movie's visuals have been getting.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Doctor. wrote:It's really surprising that they've already finished the movie so early considering the abysmal schedule Dragon Ball normally gets.
After half a decade Toei, Shueisha & BNHD have all finally f**king realised modern DB isn't going anywhere and is actually worthy of love similar to that they've shown One Piece.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:09 pm

Furiza wrote:So Freeza is said to have some "changes"... Now I'm interested even more
Other than his pointless redesign? Not really willing to know.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:13 pm

Noah wrote:
Furiza wrote:So Freeza is said to have some "changes"... Now I'm interested even more
Redesign?
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:17 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Redesign?
Yes.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:50 pm

TheMikado wrote:
Shaddy wrote:Bringing him back just to kill him again was a mistake of RoF, but bringing him back at the end of Super clearly had a different intent than to just kill him off again in a different movie. I have the feeling Freeza was revived to be the recurring villain who gains his own strength and allies, training parallel to the heroes, probablyas setup for being the final villain. Which makes sense, having more a gallery-of-rouges of more distinct villains is a good step toward minimizing the series' longstanding narrative escalation issue. So mister Nakao may be getting the opposite of his hopes.
So the Dragon Ball equivalent of Team Rocket...
More like The Joker or Loki

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:49 pm

Noah wrote:
Yes.
Pretty sure this was explained somewhere.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:58 pm

SSJgogeto wrote:
Noah wrote:
Yes.
Nah it's a retcon, Freeza doesn't look like that in this era in the manga or Minus.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:04 pm

Pretty sure the going idea was that he transformed and added the harder/shoulder bits which is what broke the armor, so he actually looked like that underneath the whole time and we just never saw it. Fits pretty well considering there's no separation between his neck and torso before, but on the second image it appears to be a different piece. Wouldn't be the first time Ol' mister Tori pulled one of those on us (looking at you "Lapis" and "Lazuli").

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:08 pm

Noah wrote:
...yeah that was a Freeza from 40+ years ago. It isn't particularly unreasonable to think Freeza looked different such a long time ago. In fact, it would be stupid if he DIDN'T look different.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:40 pm

I guarantee you if Frieza returned without having ROF happening, people would’ve been pissed about power scaling. And it would’ve been justified. Especially since we already received a BS “4 months of earnest training” for him to catch up. While I hated the fact that we dealt with him again initially, knowing what I know now concerning Broly i feel as if his return was being setup for now and the backstory of the Saiyans. To each their own I guess.
How i predict the tournament will end:

SSJgogeto
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SSJgogeto » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:47 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:
SSJgogeto wrote:
Noah wrote:
Yes.
Nah it's a retcon, Freeza doesn't look like that in this era in the manga or Minus.
You're talking about the colors, right? I'm talking about his chest.

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:57 pm

TheOne wrote:
I guarantee you if Frieza returned without having ROF happening, people would’ve been pissed about power scaling. And it would’ve been justified. Especially since we already received a BS “4 months of earnest training” for him to catch up. While I hated the fact that we dealt with him again initially, knowing what I know now concerning Broly i feel as if his return was being setup for now and the backstory of the Saiyans. To each their own I guess.
RoF was garbage, but it was the reason reviving him to compete in a tournament made actual sense. He's extremely strong again, feared for his power and not just a joke. Freeza ever since his revival has been a fantastic addition seemingly whenever he's on screen, and I'm intrigued what his role will be in the Broly story.