Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by zarmack » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:53 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Simere wrote:
BlueBasilisk wrote: Isn't this Paragus more or less the same as the old one? He pleaded with King Vegeta to spare his son's life and showed pride in his son's strength while still using his as a weapon for...revenge or galactic domination or whatever the hell he was doing.
i still haven't seen the old movies. They were made before Toriyama gave us that tidbit about how saiyans view family, though. Different races in sci-fi/fantasy allow for easier conceptualizing of different ways societies can be structured; sticking so closely to what we understand to be human is always disappointing, especially when they've already been stated to be different.
You have a point about when the movie was made. From what we've seen they do view familial relationships a bit differently. Normally they don't form nuclear family units with two parents and the children. They don't seem to pair up with their mates. Didn't one of those interviews say that Saiyans typically just mate to reproduce? That fits with how Vegeta/Bulma started. Goku was also a total dunce on the 'romance' thing but still started a family. We also don't see extended family. No cousins or grandparents.

I think part of the problem with the Saiyans is that we're told they're different from humans, but they still look and act like humans, just with some negative traits amplified. Going back to Goku and Vegeta and their families, you could probably make the case that they aren't the best family men because that's just how Saiyans do, but you can also read it as a result of their personalities. Goku is an ignorant bumpkin and a little dense and Vegeta is a selfish, self-absorbed asshole. They have a lot of familiar human traits and since there are so many types of human family units, most family structures would be similar to something in our world, I think.
Actually, Vegeta and Bulma getting together was said to be just a one night stand in the original manga (or a short term affair in the anime version) and Vegeta wasn't interested in settling down and having children until after the Cell Games. Meaning that Vegeta and Bulma getting together in the 3 years before the Android arc was just casual sex (I doubt Vegeta had any real romantic feelings for Bulma at that point, though Bulma most likely had true feelings for him that early. So from Vegeta's point-of-view, he could have been just putting up with her for sex during the Android arc lmao.)

zarmack
Banned Alternate Account

Post by zarmack » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:57 pm

Konja7 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Because I don't remember Freeza ordering all Saiyans to return in the TV Special.
So, in the Bardock special, all the saiyans were on the planet by coincidence (although they constantly travels to conquer other planets), before it was destroyed. Right?

BlueBasilisk wrote:You have a point about when the movie was made. From what we've seen they do view familial relationships a bit differently. Normally they don't form nuclear family units with two parents and the children. They don't seem to pair up with their mates. Didn't one of those interviews say that Saiyans typically just mate to reproduce? That fits with how Vegeta/Bulma started. Goku was also a total dunce on the 'romance' thing but still started a family. We also don't see extended family. No cousins or grandparents.

I think part of the problem with the Saiyans is that we're told they're different from humans, but they still look and act like humans, just with some negative traits amplified. Going back to Goku and Vegeta and their families, you could probably make the case that they aren't the best family men because that's just how Saiyans do, but you can also read it as a result of their personalities. Goku is an ignorant bumpkin and a little dense and Vegeta is a selfish, self-absorbed asshole. They have a lot of familiar human traits and since there are so many types of human family units, most family structures would be similar to something in our world, I think.
Well, Raditz spoke about his parents (he even gave certain relevance to their death), so he should know both.

I think the interview say that the saiyans only pair up to reproduce. However, this imply that marriage exists for saiyans, but the relationship between them isn't really romantic (the love is the strange in the marriage of Gine and Bardock).
Well, Toriyama said that royal/elite Saiyans are family-centered in that 2014 about Gine, so Vegeta being more of a family man than Goku in Super is pretty consistent. Paragus is said to be an elite saiyan (not a low-level like Bardock), so him being more of sympathetic dad in this version of the story is also consistent.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:18 pm

zarmack wrote: Actually, Vegeta and Bulma getting together was said to be just a one night stand in the original manga (or a short term affair in the anime version) and Vegeta wasn't interested in settling down and having children until after the Cell Games. Meaning that Vegeta and Bulma getting together in the 3 years before the Android arc was just casual sex (I doubt Vegeta had any real romantic feelings for Bulma at that point, though Bulma most likely had true feelings for him that early. So from Vegeta's point-of-view, he could have been just putting up with her for sex during the Android arc lmao.)
That's what I meant. That's how I see a 'normal' Saiyan relationship playing out: Two of them get together, have a quick fling, then they go back to their business with one keeping an eye on the kid(s) while in the incubator.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:44 pm

Shueisha apparently releasing something on 14th Dec any idea what it could be?:
I am guessing it's probably gonna be an anime comic they seem to do for the movies. For folks that are gonna dab in full spoilers you've got pictures to go with I guess!

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:07 pm

I wonder how Toyotaro's manga will differ.

I mean, this isn't like the anime where Toriyama was mostly hands-off for both mediums. He's heavily involved, some might say to the detriment of certain established narrative/visual continuity, and that blurs the line of what's supposed to be what.

Konja7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Konja7 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:10 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:That's what I meant. That's how I see a 'normal' Saiyan relationship playing out: Two of them get together, have a quick fling, then they go back to their business with one keeping an eye on the kid(s) while in the incubator.
It seems the concept of marriage (and nuclear family) exists for the saiyans. The dynamic seems to be different, since they form this mainly for reproduction, but still exists.

We do not have enough information to know if only one of the parents is watching the baby in the incubator.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:13 pm

Konja7 wrote:So, in the Bardock special, all the saiyans were on the planet by coincidence (although they constantly travels to conquer other planets), before it was destroyed. Right?
Not "all". Since there was no call for Saiyans to return, the TV Special always allowed for more Saiyans to have survived. Also, I wouldn't say "constantly", as we don't know the schedule of Saiyans work. Other than those, yeah, some of them Saiyans were there by coincidence.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:24 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Shueisha apparently releasing something on 14th Dec any idea what it could be?:
I am guessing it's probably gonna be an anime comic they seem to do for the movies. For folks that are gonna dab in full spoilers you've got pictures to go with I guess!
My guess is that's a mook guide. 734 yen is almost half of the 1333 yen the BoG anime comic costs, but well in the range of the BoG mook guide at 580 yen + five years of inflation.
I could be wrong.

Source: The books on my bookcase.

I definitely plan to buy the anime comic for this movie when they release a listing for it though.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:31 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Shueisha apparently releasing something on 14th Dec any idea what it could be?:
Oh, you mean the ones made out of images from the movie? The price point seems a little odd. It's less expensive than the BoG/RoF comics but it's still more than the Super manga volumes. :think:
Chuquita wrote:My guess is that's a mook guide. 734 yen is almost half of the 1333 yen the BoG anime comic costs, but well in the range of the BoG mook guide at 580 yen + five years of inflation.
I could be wrong.

I definitely plan to buy the anime comic for this movie when they release a listing for it though.
What's a mook guide?

RecolorSaiyan
Regular

Post by RecolorSaiyan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:57 pm

There's talk that on the 14th, a promotional chapter for the broly movie will be released. If so maybe Ooishi or Lee? Since the monthly chapter is out on the 21st, Toyo probably won't be doing that

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:06 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Oh, you mean the ones made out of images from the movie? The price point seems a little odd. It's less expensive than the BoG/RoF comics but it's still more than the Super manga volumes. :think:
Chuquita wrote:My guess is that's a mook guide. 734 yen is almost half of the 1333 yen the BoG anime comic costs, but well in the range of the BoG mook guide at 580 yen + five years of inflation.
I could be wrong.

What's a mook guide?
A mook is a portmanteau of book and magazine. It's used in Japan to refer to these thicker paged but large sized magazines. They don't have many pages. Maybe around 30.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:44 pm

https://www.fashion-press.net/news/44049 A look around the Tokyo Sky Tree event.
Chuquita wrote:A mook is a portmanteau of book and magazine. It's used in Japan to refer to these thicker paged but large sized magazines. They don't have many pages. Maybe around 30.
Oh, I gotcha. I've never heard them called by that name.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:31 pm

Konja7 wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Because I don't remember Freeza ordering all Saiyans to return in the TV Special.
So, in the Bardock special, all the saiyans were on the planet by coincidence (although they constantly travels to conquer other planets), before it was destroyed. Right?
Although I despise Minus, this bit is better than the TV Special take, though I imagine for Freeza it doesn't matter if a few monkeys escaped, he just wanted to obliterate the majority of the Saiyan race along with their planet.
Last edited by Noah on Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:41 pm

RecolorSaiyan wrote:There's talk that on the 14th, a promotional chapter for the broly movie will be released. If so maybe Ooishi or Lee? Since the monthly chapter is out on the 21st, Toyo probably won't be doing that
Lee deserves so much more than a Yamcha spin-off, but Toyotaro will probably get everything that's connected to the main story.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:16 pm

Noah wrote:Although I despise Minus, this bit is better than the TV Special take, though I imagine for Freeza it doesn't matter if a few monkeys escaped, he just wanted to obliterate the majority of the Saiyan race along with their planet.
It didn't. He was too impatient to wait long enough for all of them to return so he cooked up the story about the meteor to ward off suspicion from the survivors.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:44 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
RecolorSaiyan wrote:There's talk that on the 14th, a promotional chapter for the broly movie will be released. If so maybe Ooishi or Lee? Since the monthly chapter is out on the 21st, Toyo probably won't be doing that
Lee deserves so much more than a Yamcha spin-off, but Toyotaro will probably get everything that's connected to the main story.
The more i think about it, Toyotaro is basically the Yamamuro of the DB story telling community. Just like most dont like Yamamuro’s art, most dont like Toyotaro’s writing and like Yamamuro, we wish Toyotaro would just be moved to DBHeroes or something.

I’m not gonna completely write Toyo off yet. First, i need to see what he can do when either given the authority to create his own arc or when giving the ability to start an arc before the DBS anime and Toei can. And without being rushed this time because he’s clearly being rushed by Shueisha when it comes to the T.o.P arc
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Bonus Stage
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bonus Stage » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:06 pm

New & exclusive char bios in DBS Broly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSWfDR8xgeI

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:12 pm

Shaddy wrote:They are the same. It's stock licensed music they just used for the trailers. I'm pretty sure one of them was in the trailer for Doctor Strange as well. I'm sure everything you hear from Sumitomo in the movie will be him and not Yamamoto-esque blatant plagiarism
People from Latin America have started making videos talking about music plagiarism. :thumbdown:
However, there are some scenes that were animated but cut from the final theatrical film which will be added to the Blu-Ray and DVD release.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7961060/trivia
When was this stated?

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:14 pm

TheRed259 wrote: People from Latin America have started making videos talking about music plagiarism. :thumbdown:
Man, between this and Risu's twitter I feel like every time I hear about the Latin American fanbase it's about how much misinformation and lies go on there...

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:18 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:
The more i think about it, Toyotaro is basically the Yamamuro of the DB story telling community. Just like most dont like Yamamuro’s art, most dont like Toyotaro’s writing and like Yamamuro, we wish Toyotaro would just be moved to DBHeroes or something.

I’m not gonna completely write Toyo off yet. First, i need to see what he can do when either given the authority to create his own arc or when giving the ability to start an arc before the DBS anime and Toei can. And without being rushed this time because he’s clearly being rushed by Shueisha when it comes to the T.o.P arc
Where do you get this idea that most don't like Toyotaro's writing?
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!