Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:58 pm

Anyone else think that the person we see at the bottom of the poster isn’t Broly? I think it could be a bait and switch. In fact, i find it kind of convient how the saiyan at the bottom just so happens to be cut off at the point where you wouldn’t be able to see the cheek scar the Broly at the top of the poster has.

I don’t think Broly is gonna be the only saiyan in the movie. Heck, he might not even be a bad guy, but an ally. That would be way more interesting.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

The Patrolman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by The Patrolman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:00 pm

Grimlock wrote:Rest in peace, Dragon Ball: 1984 - † 2013. May your past be well preserved and your present be forgotten. Amen!

Only games can save this franchise now. Hopefully we get Xenoverse 3, FighterZ 2 and more games with other stories to tell sooner.
Oh how the mighty have fallen
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:01 pm

Initial reaction was being very miffed that it was Broly.

After reading Toriyama's statement and seeing that he recognized the problems with Broly as a character, AND after seeing his new design, I am cautiously optimistic.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:01 pm

What if Toriyama does end up redoing the other old movie villains like Coola and Janemba if this movie does well enough?
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:01 pm

The Patrolman wrote:
Grimlock wrote:Rest in peace, Dragon Ball: 1984 - † 2013. May your past be well preserved and your present be forgotten. Amen!

Only games can save this franchise now. Hopefully we get Xenoverse 3, FighterZ 2 and more games with other stories to tell sooner.
Oh how the mighty have fallen
People be overreacting. I bet everyone is still gonna see the movie
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:02 pm

Bullza wrote:If they change him too much then he won't be anything like Broly and fans will complain that it's just Broly in name only.
I don't care if people complain about that. To me that is the best case scenario. A new "Broly" but he is only Broly by name and is instead an interesting character that is part of the greatest DB movie of all time. A Broly that has a real backstory, interesting motives, a nuanced personality and an interesting transformation with tie-ins to the origins of the Saiyans. THAT is what I want. The less like the original Broly the better IMO. That way this Broly could wipe the old Broly out of everyone's memory and be forgotten forever. Toriyama's Dragon Ball Super Broly would completely overshadow Toei's Dragon Ball Z Broly.

A man can dream.

I am disappointed by this news of it being about Broly but with that being said no matter what they did with this movie people would whine and complain about it. That is how things are in 2018. The negative rhetoric dominates always
Last edited by PFM18 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:03 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:What if Toriyama does end up redoing the other old movie villains like Coola and Janemba if this movie does well enough?
Janemba is actually something I might be open to, but Cooler is a definite no. Not only is Freeza officially a recurring character in Dragon Ball, but we already have a Freeza clone in the form of Frost.

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 pm

Everyone for the most part is either happy or mad. There is no way to satisfy everyone honestly and yes we could have a new villain but I prefer this. It gives a character a chance to become something. Clearly he won’t be the meathead that he was in the previous movies and we should have seen this coming from the beginning with Cale. People hated Beerus cause he is a cat and now he is loved, they hated that RoF had freeza but were happy he was in the tournament. There is no winning but everyone just sit back and watch it before you damn it to hell lol.

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:05 pm

So does everyone remember when Toriyama rewrote the Bardock story? I member.
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:06 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:What if Toriyama does end up redoing the other old movie villains like Coola and Janemba if this movie does well enough?
he won't. Broly's popularity is massive as is Freeza's. You didn't see diamond cell.

Dragono
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragono » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:09 pm

A Man named RJ wrote:So does everyone remember when Toriyama rewrote the Bardock story? I member.
You cannot compare that to this. That was a tacked on bonus chapter with a character that toriyama himself knew he couldn't make and had no story. It was just things that happened.

Until we see this move, there is no precedent to compare this to

Champa The Destroyer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Champa The Destroyer » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:10 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote:When you think DBS can't get any worse.

Broly is coming.

When you think GT can't get any worse.

"Super" 17 is coming.

Honestly I have mixed feelings about this. I think that Toriyama has a chance to make Broly an interesting character, but if he's anything like current Broly then it will be terrible. Plus the name "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" is a terrible name and is easily the worst title out of all the Dragon Ball films.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:12 pm

I don’t know how many people here go on TV Tropes, but there’s a theory over on the WMG section that Broly in this movie will be a reincarnation of Yamoshi.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:16 pm

See here's the thing. If they just did Broly, I'd be angry. If they just didn't do Broly, I'd be happy...maybe (that is to say, if it didn't suck).

They're not fully doing Broly or not Broly, though.

What I think this is, is a Saiyan story Toriyama wanted to tell on his terms. The idea of it being Broly is solely there for marketability, and why this is fine is because it's likely not going to revolve around the things we know Broly for. The complaints of rehashing and overexposure to the character come from a lack of variety, not the inherent concept being bad. Sonic fans don't hate Green Hill, they hate Green Hill for the fiftieth time with basically no changes whatsoever, while Whispy Woods isn't hated by the Kirby fandom because sometimes he's a robot, or fights by uprooting himself and jumping around the stage, or you can set him on fire. Or hell, why do people still read new Batman comics after the character has existed for eight goddamn years?

But at least from my perspective, this Broly's whole point is that he's not the same tired old Broly from three movies and a million promotional products, he's Toriyama's Broly, with actual potential layers and interest to his history (again, potential, if Tori writes this thing like shit it won't matter anyway). And while I'd be the first to say Dragon Ball needs to divorce itself from nostalgia and do weirder, different stuff, this is kind of like a halfway between something like the U6 arc and RoF. It's not wholly derivative or original, and the fact that Frieza is in it with some new minions means it definitely won't just be a Toriyama remake of any of Broly's other films. So I'm mostly waiting to hear more, but I can't say I fully agree with "it's a rehash!" or "it's a new direction!" when the concept in and of itself is neither Broly we knew nor anyone we didn't.

re: DB Minus, the key distinction is that Broly has nowhere to go but up, while Bardock's special was one of the best pieces of material in the franchise on it's own.

re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly", yeah, the name is pretty dumb. I hope the English version chooses something better, but I'm not getting my hopes up since that's a relatively negligible issue.
Last edited by Shaddy on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:16 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
BrolyKale wrote:You watched it and you dare to say that he has no personality? ok. Bye.
Dude, Broly is a dumb character. Get over it. His whole motivation for trying to kill Goku is that Goku cried when he was a baby. That's it. He's not complicated, he's not interesting, he's just pure testosterone. Kale did it better, and I'm sure the reboot will too, but I'd rather they used a new idea instead of fixing a tired old idea for the second time.
You are right. I agree with you.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

jollyroger

Post by jollyroger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:19 pm

I'm not a huge fan of Broly but honestly I prefer this than just another random stronger than ever Saiyan popping up. I think Brolys face on the poster says a lot as he looks calm and calculated as opposed to just a psychopath and I'm interested to see the whole backstory with the saiyans and Frieza. I think its kind of cool for Toriyama to try and turn him into an actual interesting character.

Melkaniator
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Melkaniator » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:26 pm

Shaddy wrote:I think the issue with the backlash is that we have nothing to judge off of except for a single piece of the premise
I'm not complaining about the final product, since that's not out obviously, but I don't like anything I've seen so far.

• Art
• Concept
• Recycled Villain
RedHeat wrote:
That analogy doesn't work when you're 4 years in.
A car crash is always gonna be a car crash, there's no reason to stop seeing cars getting crashed.

Same goes with fun conversations with friends.
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Barely. Most of the popular villains are copies.
I would always prefer copies for a movie over recycling.

Cell/Majin Buu:

• Want to fight strong warriors.

• Absorb others gets stronger.

• Uses attacks from "Z fighters"

Similarities are nothing new anyway.
TheMikado wrote: the execs can only assume we want more laziness and rehashes. All the while the fans justified it with financial sheets and data. Super has a consistent records of “contradicting canon” and established storylines. But in fans efforts to justify Super rather than take it task for half assed concepts and execution, we enabled it.

The fans are the ones who brought it on themselves.
They know most fans will accept anything Akira and/or Toei throws at them.

They can make Goku rainbow hair, and many will be...

"Oh, you haters, you don't get the symbolism of those colors".
DBS anime is a fan service series that delivers irrelevant dialogue, inconsistent writing, and lazy designs.

The DB manga never had so many mistakes, nor those were this constant.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:27 pm

Okay, so judging by the voice cast and the new characters, the characters in this film are:
Goku
Vegeta
Broly
Paragus
Piccolo
Beerus
Whis
Freeza
Chelye
Lemo
Kikono
Bulma
Kid Trunks
Gohan(?)
Goten(?)

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:49 pm

I'm trying to maintain some cautious optimism, I am. Every single announcement in the past has made me similarly concerned. I...just...eugh.

Edit: Ok, in all fairness, I always thought the lore surrounding Broly was really interesting, and he had the potential to be a good character. I don't know if I'm actually mad, or if I'm just not looking forward to the hundred identical "this proves Toei/Toriyama are creatively bankrupt" I'll have to read in the coming months. I mean, Goku Black turned out fine. So did Golden Frieza. This can still be good. Right? Right?
Last edited by theTUN on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:50 pm

Man, the salt is real over here. I'm pretty excited, because we're gonna get "Toriyama does a Broly reboot", and I think that will be at least decent. I've always enjoyed the idea of Broly, but the problem is he ends up being executed as a Super Saiyan Hulk with even less personality. I'm really curious to see how Toriyama makes him work.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.