Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:07 pm

PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Do you guys think Jiren will be mentioned as a point of comparison with this new version of Broly?

I mean, he WAS the strongest guy ever fought EVER in the series thus far.
I hope so. Jiren was basically at the level of what gokus benchmark was established as when they introduced beerus. If broly is beyond that, then its likely that a direct comparison will be made.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
PerhapsTheOtherOne wrote:Do you guys think Jiren will be mentioned as a point of comparison with this new version of Broly?

I mean, he WAS the strongest guy ever fought EVER in the series thus far.
I hope so. Jiren was basically at the level of what gokus benchmark was established as when they introduced beerus. If broly is beyond that, then its likely that a direct comparison will be made.
This guy's strong as … three Jirens!

potat_lasaro

Post by potat_lasaro » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:39 pm

Is anyone else curious as to what Piccolo's role will be in the movie? I mean, his design was shown alongside the likes of Vegeta, Whis and Beerus so I'm hoping he has some importance.

I just can't see how he'll be able to be of much help against Broly unless he fights Paragus or possible henchmen. Otherwise maybe he's off with Bulma as she looks for the Dragon Balls?

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:53 pm

potat_lasaro wrote:Is anyone else curious as to what Piccolo's role will be in the movie? I mean, his design was shown alongside the likes of Vegeta, Whis and Beerus so I'm hoping he has some importance.

I just can't see how he'll be able to be of much help against Broly unless he fights Paragus or possible henchmen. Otherwise maybe he's off with Bulma as she looks for the Dragon Balls?
Bulma got a design too, even Frieza’s low level goons. It means nothing. Don’t look too much into it.

ricky84
Banned Alternate Account

Post by ricky84 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:10 pm

Isn't it funny how we are living in an age where Piccolo is in the spotlight yet Gohan isn't lmao.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

potat_lasaro

Post by potat_lasaro » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:48 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:
potat_lasaro wrote:Is anyone else curious as to what Piccolo's role will be in the movie? I mean, his design was shown alongside the likes of Vegeta, Whis and Beerus so I'm hoping he has some importance.

Bulma got a design too, even Frieza’s low level goons. It means nothing. Don’t look too much into it.
1) Bulma got a design cause she's looking for the Dragon Balls in this movie if I'm remembering the information correctly.

2) those "low level goons" have been confirmed to play an important role.

So there's a reason Piccolo got a design revealed alongside Vegeta, Whis and Beerus instead of Gohan. I just hope it isn't to be beaten easily.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:54 pm

New interview with character designer Naohiro Shintani. Shows off some character sheets we haven't seen before...
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
Shintani mentions that Nagamine's box office goal for this movie is to reach 10 billion yen! That's around 90 million USD. I honestly think they can make more than that, but that's a good number to start at. :lol:

Zelvin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Zelvin » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:32 pm

Normal ticket prices for some areas in the US are $12 for Regular. They'd have to sell 7.5million tickets to hit $90million. They've already sold over 24thousand pre-tickets. That's anywhere between 92thousand ($8 children's tickets) to 312thousand (adult). By the time the movie drops they'll probably have a 5-10million$ opening weekend.
PS3 Xenoverse Player
PS4 Xenoverse 2 Player
PSN ID: ReiKai_Onimusha
Main Character: Zelvin
Race: Frost Demon
"In space, no one can hear you scream. But you still make one ugly face."

theTUN
Not-So-Newbie

Post by theTUN » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:46 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:

Bulma and Frieza's goons seem to have a pretty big role in the story, though.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:46 pm

MisteryOne wrote:It's hard to get hyped with the new version of Broly if he is so damn similar to his older counterpart. Like seriously, I have still to see something that really makes he feel different in any way apart from different design and power.
I feel you, mate. I really wish they did something different to Broly this time, but it seems this will be just like Movie 8 with Super recolored transformations and Freeza :yawn:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
sintzu wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:I fear for the future of Dragon Ball if Toyotaro really IS the successor.
DB probably won't change much even if he is as it's now a corporate franchise with multiple parties calling the shots on things.
Yeah but if he’s put in the same power as Toriyama was, he’d be creating the main stories. Which means more BS like the shit in this latest chapter
Well, the original manga remains untouched and until the day Toei states an official continuity to the series, people can pretty much ignore the absurdities that may come on the future.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:17 am

ricky84 wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Cumber is the worst saiyan character ever introduced in anything official, maybe worse than Kale. And that Planet Prison Saga is dreadful.

I'd rather nothing related to that ever touches Super.
How? Cumber hasn't done anything offensively bad as a character.
He hasn't done anything at all except be evil. His existence is out of place in the lore (i.e. it's random as ****) and he's basically Broly with extra edge. He's the eeeevvvillll saiyan with spoooooky dark ki, and he's super duper strong so we need Vegito, even though it's out of character for Goku and Vegeta to fuse unless the enemy is also fused.

He's the epitome of cliche, and the concept is just facepalm-worthy in every way. I'm sure thousands of DB fans have created their own Cumber at one point in their childhoods, be it in their heads or drawings.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Post by PFM18 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:22 am

fadeddreams5 wrote:
ricky84 wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:Cumber is the worst saiyan character ever introduced in anything official, maybe worse than Kale. And that Planet Prison Saga is dreadful.

I'd rather nothing related to that ever touches Super.
How? Cumber hasn't done anything offensively bad as a character.
He hasn't done anything at all except be evil. His existence is out of place in the lore (i.e. it's random as ****) and he's basically Broly with extra edge. He's the eeeevvvillll saiyan with spoooooky dark ki, and he's super duper strong so we need Vegito, even though it's out of character for Goku and Vegeta to fuse unless the enemy is also fused.

He's the epitome of cliche, and the concept is just facepalm-worthy in every way. I'm sure thousands of DB fans have created their own Cumber at one point in their childhoods, be it in their heads or drawings.
Well Heroes isn't meant to be particularly high amount of real substance. There being very basic, cliche characters is pretty much what you would expect. It only becomes bothersome when something that is meant to be taken seriously is done with no substance like what Toyotaro is doing.

kudo6000
Beyond Newbie

Post by kudo6000 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:25 am

That looks like an after-battle Broly (his pants weren't torn as LSS). Hinting that he'll live at the end, possibly?

ShaggyBlanco
Beyond Newbie

Post by ShaggyBlanco » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:44 am

kudo6000 wrote:That looks like an after-battle Broly (his pants weren't torn as LSS). Hinting that he'll live at the end, possibly?
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yeah guess someone will calm him down, probably GreenBulma

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:05 am

Noah wrote:The original manga remains untouched and until the day Toei states an official continuity to the series, people can pretty much ignore the absurdities that may come on the future.
Even if they do state an official continuity people can still ignore everything outside the original manga as it was written 2 decades ago and will always remain as its own and complete product, regardless of what's coming out now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:07 am

Nagamine dreaming of 10billion lol. No way that's happening unless of course he means overseas sales combined. But, even with that I doubt.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:10 am

It seems like Broly has indeed a tail! He also reverts to his normal state after the battle. Maybe he will live after the movie (which is something I would love) or maybe for some reason he goes back to normal but then continues the fight. I would love it if by the end of the fight both Goku and Broly are so tired they can’t fight in their transformed state and they fight it out in a pure martial art combat where Goku would prove he is the best fighter. That would be dope. I also wouldn’t mind seeing Broly turn into a Oozaru in a last desperate effort to gain the upper-hand.

90 million dollars (10 billion yeni) is a perfectly reasonable goal. I’m sure they will make more than that. I expect at least 100 million but I wouldn’t be that surprised if the movie manages to make even 120-130 millions or more.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by BrolyKale » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:42 am

kudo6000 wrote:That looks like an after-battle Broly (his pants weren't torn as LSS). Hinting that he'll live at the end, possibly?
That's what I was thinking too. He will probably still be alive.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:52 am

Saikyo no Senshi wrote:Nagamine dreaming of 10billion lol. No way that's happening unless of course he means overseas sales combined. But, even with that I doubt.
I’m pretty sure he’s referring to worldwide box office results. I think it’s completely possible, especially since it’s releasing only a month after it comes out in Japan for some countries. Not to mention Super’s been a massive hit and this movie’s a continuation of it. I don’t doubt Nagamine’s goal for a second.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:36 am

I was expecting its box office to be in the 80s million range so it's good to know I wasn't far from their own goals. Although it's not an impossible goal, it won't be an easy one either as the movie will have to really impress people to get those second and third viewings.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.