Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Bullza » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:26 pm

The amovie looks fun, the animation looks nice, the battle scenes seem entertaining.

No idea why all these movies have to have a terrible Japanese song out into it though. You think they'd have learned by now.

Also they show nothing of what the story is about. As far as the present is concerned all they've shown is Goku and Vegeta fighting Broly in the ice. Do they actually do anything else?

User avatar
Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here
Posts: 2010
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Argentina
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:35 pm

Bullza wrote:No idea why all these movies have to have a terrible Japanese song out into it though. You think they'd have learned by now.
What's terrible about the song?
"The Time of Birth has Come, I Am The Remedy of Eternity.”
“The Time of Crowning has Come, I Am The Begining of Eternity."
"The Time of Parting has Come, I Am Who Lets Go of The World"

User avatar
TheOne
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:01 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by TheOne » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:36 pm

Noah wrote:So, finally watched the Trailer #3 and I was not very impressed by it, it was predictable besides Whis showing up on the battlefield, which for me is dumb... As I would prefer Beerus to be there instead (hierarchy of power, you know?)

On the plus side, I liked the return of Vegeta Boo arc outfit aka his best outfit, even if just his battle damaged armor. Broly looks okay, but I miss him screaming "KAKAROOOOOOOTTO" like a maniac :)
ekrolo2 wrote:Why is Cheelai talking about Broly the only bit of characterization we've gotten for him?
Goku also gives something by saying he's not a "bad guy".
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:
This is basically Toei saying "Alright, quit your bitching. Here's your fucking stripes and armour. Happy?" :lol:
I don't think it's on Toei as they are very faithful to the designs of the original manga, but on Toriyama who most likely wanted this change.
Dbzk1999 wrote:This movie is gonna be full of visual spectacle
Hope there's good story too.
The Whis moment is perfectly fine. We’ve all speculated the gap between Angels and everyone else. For all we know, Broly is trying to attack everyone in sight and Whis is dancing around him during one of his fits of rage. If Broly attacked Beerus he’d probably end the movie by taking Broly out. Whis however, is obviously going to take a more passive approach. It’s silly to say Whis showing up on the battlefield is lame seeing as how most of us want to see him in action after him doing nothing this entire time. We’ve seen even less of him fighting than we have Beerus.
How i predict the tournament will end:

User avatar
Bullza
Banned
Posts: 8621
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 am
Location: UK

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Bullza » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:18 am

Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:What's terrible about the song?
Its unfitting with what's being shown. The trailer for Resurrection F showed one thing while at the same time played that awful Japanese girl pop song.

Admittedly it's not nearly as bad as that though but I don't want to be hearing if through the middle of the movie like what they did with "Hero" in Battle of Gods. It worked for "F" in Resurrection F and that's about it.

User avatar
supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:10 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:21 am

LOL @ all this fanbase. You want the whole story spoiled for you more than it is? From the trailers we know just what we need to: A saiyan who survived the destruction of planet Vegeta comes back to haunt our heroes with an otherworldly strength. There's really not much more we need to know until we watch the damn thing.

I agree with the Japanese insert song. It's been happening more and more with anime where a dumbass pop song starts playing at a pivotal moment, instead of something composed for the scene to convey the atmosphere. I really hope that shit stops. Spirit vs Spirit was the only exception to all of them being incredibly cringeworthy and out of place.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Shaddy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:33 am

Insert songs have been a part of anime for decades and have not become any more or less prevalent.

Also, it's a couple pages back, but they definitely didn't change Freeza just because people complained about it. If that was something that happened, we'd have a very different series.
Last edited by Shaddy on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 415
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:10 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:48 am

Shaddy wrote:Insert songs have been a part of anime for decades and have not become any more or less prevalent.
I don't remember them at all in the Z series besides Spirit vs Spirit, or in any of the movies either. Bleach had one I think, that actually felt like it fit, and there definitely wasn't one in Fate Zero. One Punch Man, which has a sick OST, really pissed me off once the final battle was ruined with some lame insert song after a stellar soundtrack tied to that arc. Don't remember one in Death Note either.

I feel like I see them more and more and IMO they are a lazy cop out. Especially since lately they're using these dumbass garage bands, at least the others that lent themselves to the show.

User avatar
GTx10
Regular
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:06 pm
Location: Beerus's Palace

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by GTx10 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:55 am

supersaiyanZero wrote:
Shaddy wrote:Insert songs have been a part of anime for decades and have not become any more or less prevalent.
I don't remember them at all in the Z series besides Spirit vs Spirit, or in any of the movies either. Bleach had one I think, that actually felt like it fit, and there definitely wasn't one in Fate Zero. One Punch Man, which has a sick OST, really pissed me off once the final battle was ruined with some lame insert song after a stellar soundtrack tied to that arc. Don't remember one in Death Note either.

I feel like I see them more and more and IMO they are a lazy cop out. Especially since lately they're using these dumbass garage bands, at least the others that lent themselves to the show.
Their is a insert song that plays when King Kai explains the Saiyan's backstory to Goku. Their is a pop song that plays when Goku, Chi-Chi, and Gohan are driving through the streets during the Cell Games. So yeah Z had insert songs. Also Hero playing during Son's battle with Beerus was amazing and we all know it. (Just saying)
"Good luck, Kakarrot... You are the Champion!!" Vegeta DBZ ShonenJump Manga Volume 26 p.113

I'm reviewing Dragon Ball! Both the Jap ver. and Uncut Funi Dub! Check out the thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=31208

User avatar
Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1689
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:17 am
Location: Australia

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:59 am

Bullza wrote:
Neo-Makaiōshin wrote:What's terrible about the song?
Its unfitting with what's being shown. The trailer for Resurrection F showed one thing while at the same time played that awful Japanese girl pop song.

Admittedly it's not nearly as bad as that though but I don't want to be hearing if through the middle of the movie like what they did with "Hero" in Battle of Gods. It worked for "F" in Resurrection F and that's about it.
I don’t think Blizzard will be an insert song. It’ll most likely play during the credits.

User avatar
Shaddy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1200
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Shaddy » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:01 am

One Punch man didn't use an insert song for the final battle, they just played the opening theme.

Either way, insert songs have been a thing for basically the entire history of anime. Dragon Ball itself, across all five TV series (counting OPs) has had 29 of them (only 4 of which were uses of the opening themes), and that's not even counting the movies (which count as an extra six).

Now I don't doubt that you may have noticed a trend in what types of songs you see, or whether they occur more often, but it's completely down to what you've chosen to watch.
Mage of Blood yeets pizza wrote:Satanism is just Atheism wearing a funny hat
bjm knhhjnbguv cxkjmn bl,v wrote:Go yiff yourself

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:07 am

Lord Furiza wrote:Really? So you got nothing from the trailer at all but the fighting?
Essentially, yes. Not literally nothing, but not enough to where this trailer actually intrigues me or incites much more discussion points than what we already know.
Not Goku displaying new powers as a SSG?
He's had SSG forever now? This isn't anything new.
Not hints of someone making a wish with the dragon balls in a film were the villains are actively hunting them
We already knew there was a Dragon Ball hunt in the movie this isn't anything new.
not the possibility of Broly not wanting to fight (despite my own counter theory on that subject)
I did comment on that and thought it was interesting. But still.
Marlowe89 wrote:I'd have to concur with everyone disappointed at the lack of story elements in the trailer. I'm also not super crazy about Takahashi's presence in this film, but I do take guilty pleasure in that glorious Super Saiyan God fanservice.

The previous trailer is still easily the best one.
I completely agree with everything you said outside of the comment about Takahashi! We agree for once!
Last edited by PFM18 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rakurai
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1258
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm
Contact:

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Rakurai » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:38 am

supersaiyanZero wrote:
Shaddy wrote:Insert songs have been a part of anime for decades and have not become any more or less prevalent.
I don't remember them at all in the Z series besides Spirit vs Spirit, or in any of the movies either. Bleach had one I think, that actually felt like it fit, and there definitely wasn't one in Fate Zero. One Punch Man, which has a sick OST, really pissed me off once the final battle was ruined with some lame insert song after a stellar soundtrack tied to that arc. Don't remember one in Death Note either.

I feel like I see them more and more and IMO they are a lazy cop out. Especially since lately they're using these dumbass garage bands, at least the others that lent themselves to the show.
Battle Colored Fighters.

Solid State Scouter.

Mind Power Ki.

Battle Points Unlimited (didn't have any lyrics... But still technically an insert)

Original DB also had its fair share. For example the Son Goku song and the Red Ribbon army song.

Insert songs which include pop have been a thing in DB since its roots. But now that they don't have Kageyama they need to find other artists to come up with songs for DB.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

User avatar
Marlowe89
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:30 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Marlowe89 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:03 am

PFM18 wrote: I completely agree with everything you said outside of the comment about Takahashi! We agree for once!
Don't get me wrong; I love Takahashi. I just think his artstyle is so different from Shintani's that the shift between the two seems somewhat aesthetically dissonant.

Maybe I'll feel differently when I see the movie. If Takahashi is kept to the action sequences, the transition might feel more natural.

User avatar
PFM18
Banned Alternate Account
Posts: 3701
Joined: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by PFM18 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:09 am

Marlowe89 wrote:
PFM18 wrote: I completely agree with everything you said outside of the comment about Takahashi! We agree for once!
Don't get me wrong; I love Takahashi. I just think his artstyle is so different from Shintani's that the shift between the two seems somewhat aesthetically dissonant.

Maybe I'll feel differently when I see the movie. If Takahashi is kept to the action sequences, the transition might feel more natural.
That's fair. Their art styles are different enough to where the cohesiveness of their art/animation gets called into question. Takahashi fit a lot better with Yamamuro's designs than Shinitani's I think.

Nero<>Akira
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 305
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:05 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Nero<>Akira » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:11 am

wishful thinking but if they used solid state scouter in the movie during a bardock flashback that includes him actually doing cool shit instead of only DBMinus related stuff, then i would jump in glee. it's pretty much the only song i use when i play fighterz and is an absolute classic. i mean, why not if they are going with fanservice right? wishful thinking of course. Would be a good way to honor the story from before.
Zamasu is the best DB villain besides Freeza (and this is only the case because the current Super arc elevated Freeza to be that good).

User avatar
SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1226
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:31 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:22 am

Great trailer, probably the last one I will watch until I get to watch the movie, but I agree the insert song was intrusive and didn't need to be there and kind of flattened the build up and intensity the trailer had in the first 20 seconds.

User avatar
BrolyKale
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:06 am

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by BrolyKale » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:33 am

It was pretty intense, but I personally would have liked learning more about the story, but I understand that they won't spoil everything right now. And I don't like the music... it doesn't fit Broly's anger, nor anything that was shown in the trailer... other than that, it's pure epicness! Can't wait to learn more about the story.
Zamasu, Broly, Mira & Fu

User avatar
Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1033
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:19 am
Location: Destiny Islands

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:48 am

The only thing this trailer really showed is that Brolys really fucking powerful. It needed Gogeta in there to separate it from being just like the first trailer really.

One thing I’m looking forward to with this movie Is that it’s looking like Gogeta will be obscenely powerful, and not like the crap showing we got with Vegetto in the Zamas arc of the anime. Looks like Goku and Vegeta aren’t really going to be able to do much at all to just SSJ Broly, so if Gogeta can roughly match FP Broly that’s a huge deal, and it truly shows off the power of fusion this time around.

User avatar
JazzMazz
I Live Here
Posts: 2216
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am
Location: Mordor, the Borg cube and Voldemort's lair all at the same time in the year 199X

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by JazzMazz » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:50 am

I'm glad that the trailer didn't spoil much and instead tried to just be pure hype.

I feel like, with a lot of trailers, they tend to spoil literally everything about whats going to happen in the film, but this trailer only slightly teased at some things, and left other stuff ambiguous.

Well, at least we now know how Broly his going to screw over the planet...

Anyway, they definitely raised my intrigue about how the fights were going to play out in the film, and definitely seems to be living up to the hype about best animated DB film(aside the meh CGI).

User avatar
Son-Kakaroto
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:01 pm

Re: Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie Thread: "Broly"

Post by Son-Kakaroto » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:57 am

JazzMazz wrote:I'm glad that the trailer didn't spoil much and instead tried to just be pure hype.

I feel like, with a lot of trailers, they tend to spoil literally everything about whats going to happen in the film, but this trailer only slightly teased at some things, and left other stuff ambiguous.

Well, at least we now know how Broly his going to screw over the planet...

Anyway, they definitely raised my intrigue about how the fights were going to play out in the film, and definitely seems to be living up to the hype about best animated DB film(aside the meh CGI).
I didn't really find the animation that captivating. I still think movie 12 had the best animation. Movie 8, 9 and 10 were good too.

Post Reply